• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Let's discuss something lighter and more frivolous! Let's talk FULL SEATS!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's discuss something lighter and more frivolous! Let's talk FULL SEATS!

I've had a firm, firm stance against full seats for a few years now, but this past week I've started coming to terms that I may need to grow as a human and possibly change my mind about them....my saddles are suddenly feeling very slippery (can't decide if all my britches are wearing out and getting slick, or if I'm cleaning my saddles way more often thanks to Bensmom's soap!). On top of that, We're suddenly finding some seriously expressive gaits on Toby....and I don't know if I can sit his trot anymore

So, I dug out a couple of pairs I still own and have given them a whirl. While the ride is better, both pairs are unflattering (especially the one god awful pair that need to be never, ever worn again!).

Looking for recommendations on well priced, good looking, not ungodly uncomfortable full seat options. Things I like in a pair of britches- front or side zip (NO PULL ONS), slash pockets, low or medium rise (regular rise meets the bottom of my bra), flattering, hard wearing fabrics. Also, under $100 ($120 if they are REALLY nice). I prefer grey, navy, or brown instead of beige for every day. Not wild about black.

I like the looks of the SP Piper britches. They seem to have decent reviews. Anyone try them? I'm also strongly leaning toward the Romfh Internationals in dove grey for showing (full disclosure, those britches are what started this train of thought...I LOVE that color and can't find it in knee patch!). Any others I just investigate?
    Amanda

YB, I don't know if you like TuffRider breeches, but I got two pairs of these for christmas and have liked them. They did take some getting used to, but now that I AM used to them, I do like them a good bit. I have a VERY hard time justifying spending big dollah-dollahs on schooling breeches, and they fit the bill.
    ------------------------------
    Life Goes On

Comment

I love the Kerrits Microcord. They are pull-on (i know, read for comprehension), but they have that slimming panel and belt-loops, so look like real breeches. Don't have the contrast butt thing (which I don't like), do have slash pockets. I LOVE the rise on these breeches. She of the short waist knows what it means to have a waist at the boob line! I usually see them for ~90. Less if you catch them on TOTD or something.
      "Cynicism is a sorry kind of wisdom" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by yellowbritches View Post
        I've had a firm, firm stance against full seats for a few years now, but this past week I've started coming to terms that I may need to grow as a human and possibly change my mind about them....my saddles are suddenly feeling very slippery (can't decide if all my britches are wearing out and getting slick, or if I'm cleaning my saddles way more often thanks to Bensmom's soap!). On top of that, We're suddenly finding some seriously expressive gaits on Toby....and I don't know if I can sit his trot anymore

So, I dug out a couple of pairs I still own and have given them a whirl. While the ride is better, both pairs are unflattering (especially the one god awful pair that need to be never, ever worn again!).

Looking for recommendations on well priced, good looking, not ungodly uncomfortable full seat options. Things I like in a pair of britches- front or side zip (NO PULL ONS), slash pockets, low or medium rise (regular rise meets the bottom of my bra), flattering, hard wearing fabrics. Also, under $100 ($120 if they are REALLY nice). I prefer grey, navy, or brown instead of beige for every day. Not wild about black.

I like the looks of the SP Piper britches. They seem to have decent reviews. Anyone try them? I'm also strongly leaning toward the Romfh Internationals in dove grey for showing (full disclosure, those britches are what started this train of thought...I LOVE that color and can't find it in knee patch!). Any others I just investigate?
        I have all 3 levels of the smartpak fullseats (piper, bradley, alexus) and while the alexus is definitely the best, the pipers are second and I do really like them.

If you like the way Romfh fits, you will like the way the pipers fit. I also wear the new tredstep #3 full seat in the chocolate color for schooling. I specifically chose those to school in because I know they come in white for showing-- and my other pair are the romfh dove grey.

I like fullseats. I don't particularly think they impart that much more grip (that is what sticky spray is for...) but I find them more comfortable for whatever reason.

I was super stoked when the pipers came out in beige with teal trim, because my colors are navy, gray, and teal so it really put the spit shine on my xc outfit
        Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
        you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

I would love to hear of a reasonably cool option for full-seats.

I've had 2 pairs of Tuff Riders (with zip) and they have withstood a lot of abuse - used one pair when I was a working student, would wear them all day, ride 3-5 horses, bathing, general farm work, stains (lots of stains) all came out in the washing machine. Throw them in the dryer and they were good to go. Those lasted forever (10+ years??) until I spilled coppertox on them - that didn't come out.

I have Kerrits full seats (sit tight?) for showing and they make me sweat like a pig, plus once you're sweaty, they grip your skin and are not very comfortable. Keeps you secure for your big show - but would never want to school in them.

For showing I have a pair of On Course full-seats in white, with zip and pocket, they are reasonably lightweight and comfortable.

On the other hand I have some Kerrits knee patch pull-ons in a very lightweight fabric (it shows all the lumps & bumps on my body though) which are so super-comfortable that I use them for jogging and biking too.
          Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Comment

The Ovations on TOTD today are not bad--they have coolmax in them and very strong/nice outer fabric. I know I have gotten them for cheaper (the side-zip version, anyway) elsewhere though.

Comment

Ok, so neither of these will fall under $100, but hear me out because both brands are often on sale.

First, I cannot say enough great things about the Nathalie Digby Show White Full-Seat Breeches. I'm slender, but there is some definite junk in my trunk if you know what I mean . These breeches are the only white full-seats I've found that are both flattering and non-transparent. Seriously, they look so great on that if it wouldn't be weird, I'd totally wear them out (I know, it would be weird). But, I'm not kidding...extremely flattering, durable, and the Swiss Schoeller fabric is awesome...dirt and soft drinks just wipe right off. In my opinion, they are well-worth the price. I doubt I'll have to buy another pair for years, and I wear them pretty frequently (and after a year, still no stains and no darkening of the full seat patch!). I'm intrigued by some of their schooling breeches, too, but so far, I've only been able to justify the cost for the show breeches. However, at the end of each season, their breeches go on sale for $150 - 199. Definitely something to watch out for!

http://nathalieequestrianapparel.com/main.sc

Another breech I love that is also quite flattering, and somewhat less expensive than Nathalie breeches, is the Select Dress Champion. I have these in navy and brown, and they are really stylish! Very comfortable, and they look good on. They're also made from the same Swiss Schoeller fabric.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/select...es-10398p.aspx

Comment

Agree with the Tuff-riders as an option. love mine. I do rec'd smart-slims (riding spanx basically) as the light colors show skin "imperfections," (read: fat dimples that I only noticed after seeing dressage lesson pics where my butt was squished...blech. The dark ones don't.

I am not a fan of the kerrits fs, the older model I think, because they squeaked and the fabric is weird-- kinda like workout pants. I would also buy the irideons b/c they are fab too.
                And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

Comment

The Kerrits sit tites squeak and I hate them. THe Microcords do not, and are pretty cool to boot.
                  "Cynicism is a sorry kind of wisdom" Barack Obama

Comment

I like the Kerrits sit tights (I have a great picture of being held in the saddle by one sticky butt-cheek as Baxter took a jump sideways), but I LOVE the flex tights. So comfy! And just sticky enough! I seriously just gave away my other schooling breeches since I got these, and I really want another pair to keep nice for shows...

If you really, really must have zippers, the Ovation breeches are nice and they have a few different fabrics and seat styles.

Comment

The only full seats I like are deerskin ones - the others for me don't provide any grip, only stiffness. I try to just keep them lasting a very long time to amortize the price over many years.

I also find that when I need a little extra grip, that using the Oakwood leather conditioner makes the saddle just a bit extra tacky for that first ride.
                      If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

I have recently fallin in love with the kerrits white cross over breeches!!!! They cost me enough, but well worth the money!! Very very very light weight with enough grip with out making you stuck in the saddle!!!
                        No Worries!

Comment

Another vote for the Tuff Rider full seats! They wear like iron, are reasonably priced, and they don't stick to you on hot, humid summer days.

Comment

http://www.devonaire.com/Devonaire-L...-pid-2686.html

Light weight, moisture wicking, look great and $65!
                            I ride in their knee patch version. I don't care for the full seat, but I love the light weigh fabric.
                            Lori T
                            www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
                            www.facebook.com/LoriTankelPhotography
                            www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Comment

I only wear full seats now. I've just ended up buying more high end as there is such a difference. Just is taking me forever to slowly collect.

But of the more affordable choices...Romfh are not bad. Irideon used to have a front zip in their Cadence that is very flattering...but they do not come in Grey (at least not that I've seen).

But now, I tend to just buy Pikeur. They are worth it and last longer...but they do cost a lot more. I like the Meredith cut but there are several different ones. http://www.amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/..._Meredith.html
                              ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

HKM jeans! My new favorite everyday breeches, love them
                                On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

I got a brown Horze pair last year that are super. http://www.horze.com/Horze-Ladies-Ac...,en_US,pd.html They're pretty generously cut, so if you're in doubt, I'd round down. They also have zip pockets, which I LOVE on schooling breeches so I can stick my trainer's check somewhere it won't get melted

Comment

You're not going to like my answer YellowBritches...

Once you go pikeur everything else feels like a straight jacket. They are *gorgeous* breeches worth every single penny. Honestly. I got a pair of dove gray ones and initially they were only for special occasions (clinics, shows)... now I struggle to not wear them. And I've given up. Because it does not matter how icky I get them, they wash up and look new each time!

I got the Cindy's because they're good for shorter torsos (i.e. low rise but with enough coverage to not have plumber butt). I custom ordered mine from Amira for about $200, waited the 2 + months for them to come in and absolutely adore them. Just sayin'...

The above being said, the Horze breeches are surprisingly comfortable too, though I accidentally got them in the wrong size and they're a bit snug for my liking.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mouse&Bay;6992194]You're not going to like my answer YellowBritches...

Once you go pikeur everything else feels like a straight jacket. They are *gorgeous* breeches worth every single penny. Honestly. I got a pair of dove gray ones and initially they were only for special occasions (clinics, shows)... now I struggle to not wear them. And I've given up. Because it does not matter how icky I get them, they wash up and look new each time!

I got the Cindy's because they're good for shorter torsos (i.e. low rise but with enough coverage to not have plumber butt). I custom ordered mine from Amira for about $200, waited the 2 + months for them to come in and absolutely adore them. Just sayin'...

QUOTE]

yup...that's what happened to me.

Also a lot of others that I know. One friend get's a pair for shows as a her christmas gift from her parents each year and then makes her old pair part of her schooling ensemble (and back up for shows). Problem I have is I LOVE some of their browns and other colors that are not good for showing. ugh.

Like buying a really nice pair of shoes (running or otherwise)....you just can't go back!
                                      ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Pikeur is the best, hands down. I have exactly one pair LOL that I use for showing.

For everyday less than $100 these are my favs: http://www.doversaddlery.com/ovation...at/p/X1-35681/

I like Romph too but the cut isn't right for my body shape.

If you can find these on sale they are awesome: http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/FULLSEAT/FLFSB.htm Comfy and flattering!
                                        Unrepentant carb eater

Comment

Working...
                                        X