• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

OTTB Before he retires from racing......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTTB Before he retires from racing......

I train racehorses and always need to find homes for my horses when I am ready to retire them. I know many trainers agonize over what to do with a horse that is no longer competitive. So many trainers keep trying to race a horse one more time in hopes of getting a paycheck. I see horses that are miserable still racing or sold to less than ideal trainers to race until they are too sore to do any other job.
    I want to know if anyone would be interested in meeting prospective horses before they are retired. I think more horses could get good homes, retire sound and sane if the trainers know they have a home waiting for their horses when they are no longer making money.
    How long would you like to watch and wait for a prospect? A few weeks, months a year?
    How much would you want to pay?
    I know CANTER has trainer listings but I was thinking you could get pics of the horses from the trainers, talk to the rider and or groom, watch race videos and get updates on the horse from the trainer as the horse nears retirement.
    Just wondered if this would be a viable way to connect good horses with riders that can give them a new career.
    Thanks in advance for your input.
    My mom didn't raise no jellybean salesman!

I would be hesitant to get attached to a prospect when it might get hurt before it retires.

Jennifer
    Third Charm Event Team

Comment

I've heard of that sort of thing happening before, usually someone who has a connection to the track and can follow the horse's career. Also, I think that does happen with CANTER. I've got my eye on a mare that's been listed for awhile but has been racing since being listed. I wonder if Steuart Pittman would be interested in expanding his Retired Racehorse site to include trainer listings of horses that are still 6-12 months out from retiring? Or perhaps CANTER? It's an interesting thought, how to get the word out to those without direct connections to the race world. Will be interested to hear what others think.
      The big guy: Lincoln

Southern Maryland Equestrian

Comment

I think you'd have a hard time finding a trainer that would want to deal with the general public with regularity for a horse that's not ever FOR SALE. Most are just super busy. I think it would also be tough if that trainer was counting on a person to purchase a horse, and then when the time comes, that person is no longer interested for whatever reason.

Also, the unknown period of time between meeting the horse and potential availability would be really tough. We've even had horses that it's a "yep, he's for sale, list him" but then the horse has a good work or looks good in a race and sort of falls into a grey area--the trainer still wants the horse listed, but isn't quite ready to sell--and it's frustrating for potential purchasers.

Not to say your idea just won't work--I'm sure that there are some trainers who would be interested, and some people who would enjoy following the horse at the track and getting to know it before purchase--but overall, I think it would be a really tough business model.

Comment

Personally, yes I would, and know several people who would be interested ... I have a few that I either galloped myself or knew from being at the track who I've continued to follow in hopes of giving them a good home one day ... though the process can be both frustrating and heart wrenching when it is a horse you care very much about ... had an agreement with a trainer for a similar circumstance about a year and a half ago, but trainer decided to race horse for one last win, during which he got claimed by not so good trainer who I attempted to purchase said horse from, not so good trainer promised to keep me posted and I followed him up through last winter when I noticed him not looking so good, trainer continued to run him despite knowing the horse had a good home to go to, and it wasn't until horse was broken to the point of no return that he decided to sell, and at that point lied to a young girl about his soundness; long story short, was able to help the girl find him a new retirement home and get her money back, but horse will never be sound for riding again, and it broke my heart ... such an amazing horse, and have yet to buy another yet as none have tugged at my heart strings like he did and I knew him so well and all his faults ... it would be imperative for trainers wanting to be a part of something like this to really be willing to be forthcoming and honest about their horses and also truly looking to benefit the horses best interest as well as their own. I would not have any certain amount of time I'd want to watch the horse, would all be circumstantial ... temperament, soundness, and potential for a new career are all important and can be difficult to judge effectively while the horse is still racing, so taking the time to know the horse is beneficial and agree that having potential homes lined up may encourage more race trainers to second guess that one last race that could be one race too many.

Comment

My old trainer and I used to buy horses from one trainer before she retired. She probably had other people who she funneled horses through, but we bought quite a few of her horses over the years. I still have one

I thought that our relationship worked well. In some ways it was similar to what you are proposing, we got horses that were still sound, but were no longer competitive as racehorses. We kept a few, resold the rest as show horses.

Maybe you can cultivate a relationship with a few sport horse trainers in your area? I think that that would work better than having one person follow one horse.

Simkie- LOL that happened to me a few years ago. I went to look at horse at Suffolk, really liked him, but he ran a big race the day before and they upped the price on him- 5K - his claiming price. He was nice, but not worth 5K to me.
            Unrepentant carb eater

Comment

I TRIED to do this once a few years ago. It was a nice Wekiva Springs filly and a daughter of a mare I used to own. Trainer and I agreed on a price and retirement date (and I was offering 5k- not a lowball price) but he kept on pushing the date back for "one more race." When I got notified that he was running her in a 4k claimer I walked away. I'd be very hesitant to try something like that again. That said, I do wish there was a better way to contact trainers and say "I'm interested in x" if you decide to sell. I suspect it would drive prices up a little bit, but if I could find a way to contact trainers with the horses that I really want (my OTTB rock star has a full sister running up north) it might be worthwhile if there was a network.
              The rebel in the grey shirt

Comment

The CANTER mare I brought home last week was listed in March. I spoke with the trainer who was very up front that he wanted to race her a couple more times. I stalked (Yes, stalked) her workouts and the Mountaineer entries and results. I kept in touch with the trainer and after she won her last race he said I could come get her. He sent jog pictures and was very up front about her history. While there picking her up he showed us some of his other horses. He has some nice horses and I will definitely stay in touch.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you for your input.
                  Judysmom, I have sold horses to some local trainers but I live within 2 hrs of 4 racetracks and the market here is flooded with horses so I was hoping to expand my contacts.
                  Simkie, I agree most trainers are to busy to keep in contact with prospective buyers and I too think it is a tough business model. I used to find homes for many retiring horses but I changed tracks and just don't know the trainers here as well. I hate to see horses run until they are just pasture sound.
                  I sold the horse Freeby mentioned in another thread. He was listed for sale for almost a year before I actually decided not to run him again.
                  I enjoy finding good homes for these OTTBs. Maybe I will try this business model. I am in a position to do this as I know alot of trainers and will soon have more time on my hands.....Just thinking, thanks for your help everyone

Comment

I think you have to develop a core group of local enthusiasts. It's dangerous to court a far-away group of potential buyers, because they are too far away to be able to drop everything and come with a trailer when the horse becomes available, and it's also difficult to check and make sure the horse is fine in the future, or to make sure they live up to any contract (such as no-auction, etc.).

I would love to contact a couple of trainers who have horses currently racing that I am watching, either because they are related to horses I have or know, or because I've caught them on TV and thought they looked like good prospects. Honestly, I don't really know how I can find or speak with them, and unfortunately, even if you can contact one or two and talk to them, what they tell you and what walks out of the stall are often pretty different pictures. I've taken a few shopping trips to the tracks with pretty poor results over the past five or six years and I'm really careful now who I deal with, and stick with someone I know -- if not you'll just waste time and money.
                    Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
                    Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

If you have the time and inclination, by all means reach out to the local (regional) H/J and eventing populace. I think that part of the problem with the process is that in many areas the track sits there completely un related to the local horsey community. I live near Saratoga and yet many of my barn friends have never even been to the races. Unless I mention Michael Matz or Rodney Jenkins (or maybe Baffert or Lukas) they don 't know the name of any of the horsemen there. (Not that Saratoga is exactly a feeder into the sporthorse community, but they function entirely apart.)
                      I'd see if there are any USEF affiliates or eventing or dressage organizations and plan an event through them. Maybe a "Come learn what the racehorse knows" day featuring morning works etc. If there are any other local clubs or organizations (affiliated with vet clinics or universities maybe?) that might connect you to interest parties, be sure they are invited.
                      The more people see that TB's are not big scary monsters, even while racing the better.

Now, the flipside. I do agree that many sport and h/j trainers will run out of patience on some horses. Maybe the "perfect buyer" is on hand today, but you hope to run Dobbin through the end of the meet. If the horse is that good, they should pony up and buy it themselves. Sadly, my experience is that many horsemen refuse to look at the positive and prefer to focus only on the differences they see as negative. the old "If I had that horse I'd..." Well, again, pony up and buy it if you are so smart. I would like to see some bridging of the gap between the sport/show world and the track.
                      F O.B
                      Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
                      Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Comment

• Original Poster

Retreadeventer, I know the importance of needing people that can connect the race trainers with show homes. Many race trainers have no idea what type of horse is needed for eventing or dressage, just because the horse is sound doesn't mean he is clean legged. Many old race injuries resurface when horses are put to work off the track. I want to get homes for these horses before they get too beat up.
                        I have a good reputation for finding sound horses but I hear you, what you are told is not always what you find when you get to the track. I hope to be able to bridge this gap.

Comment

lpcutter- I helped CANTER Mid Atlantic start up the Canter trainer listings at Delaware Park. I can tell you that the issues faced are quite complex. This is our fourth year there. Our visits consist of walking from barn to barn to speak to trainers and act as a go between for the trainer to the public. We try to talk to them about the value of stopping horses early so they can find new homes and the services we provide (free listing service). However, many trainers have no interest in dealing with the public at all. They are quite opposed to us outsiders even stepping into their barns (we have to be careful).

I can understand why trainers find dealing with the public buyers quite difficult. Most sport horse people don't understand the track environment and many trainers don't understand what sport horse buyers are looking for so the difference in knowledge can result in insults. We know sport horse people like to have horses jogged out, see them ridden, have them vetted and so forth and trainers just don't have time for that. They want the horse moved and they get tired of people wasting their time. Half the time people make appointments and never show up. It often just takes one or two bad experiences and they never want to list with us again.

It can often be very difficult to translate race horse pricing into sport horse pricing. I struggle to explain to trainers why people may not be willing to look at a small mare listed for $3k, or a horse with a bow listed for $2500 or a colt. There is a whole education process that goes into making a racehorse priced so that your average sport horse person will be interested in taking a look at it. Then you have trainers who have lovely sound horses and sport horse people are making them offers of $300. They get insulted and don't want to list their horses anymore.

I guess what I am saying is that it is complicated. There are many trainers who care enough to deal with all the complications but many have been jaded enough to not want to go through that again.
                          http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Jleegriffith, Everything you say is true. I can hope to educate trainers and prospective buyers of each other's needs. I want to thank you for your efforts through CANTER. You are doing a great service for many horses and it is not easy.

Comment

I've had the same issue as jlee when I do listings at Mountaineer. When the horses stay on the listings for a long time because they are overpriced (for what they are) I get complaints that listing horses on CANTER is a waste of time. I do have regulars with very nice horses and fair orices...they sell. Nothing is more frustrating than having a buyer who is ready to buy and a train who keeps saying, "one more race."
                              RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

Comment

I have seen a few horses listed on CANTER who are offered for sale but currently racing until sold. I would not be interested in looking at a horse I couldn't immediately buy because the trainer was holding out for a few more races. There are too many horses available immediately to bother getting invested in a "maybe."
                                Doubled Expectations (Roxy, 2001 APHA)
                                Al Amir (Al, 2005 OTTB)
                                Ten Purposes (Rosie, 2009 OTTB)

Comment

Working...
                                X