• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Good vs bad gallop?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good vs bad gallop?

I am looking for video examples of what makes a good vs. bad (or average) gallop. I know they judge gallop at the YEH trials, but what are they looking for?

It would be great to see any examples (and debate)!

Thanks!

Well I don't have video examples, but a horse can be fast but not have a great gallop.

To me, a good/great gallop is naturally uphill and should feel and look effortless. You barely hear the horse as they float past you and the rider can rebalance by sitting up a stride out from the fence. The stride covers a lot of ground so you need fewer strides to get from A to B - small horses can have big strides/big horses can have small strides.

The not so good gallops are strung out, on the forehand and heavy - they are fast b/c the legs move fast, rather than cover a lot of ground. You just don't get the sense that the horse is ready to jump something without a lot of re-balancing. (rider sits down 6 strides out and the half-halts remove molars). And you feel them coming because the ground shakes.

Comment

If you can find a video of it, I was very impressed by Park Traders gallop when I saw him a Jersey a couple years ago...very uphill and free through the shoulder
      TPR!
      Thoroughbred Placement Resources, Inc
      www.goodhorse.org

Comment

Not the best video because Kate never really let him open up at this event but this horse got a perfect score for his gallop when he competed in the YEH championships.

He was just coming back from an injury in this event so still wasn't super fit yet....but he does have a very good gallop--you can catch a quick sense of it in the video in spots where she lets him go on (toward the end). It is really fun to sit on...but he can get really strong.

In my experience competing in the YEH classes...they want a free big stride. You really need to open them up and let them fly to get the good score. They are not judging the adjustability of their gallop yet. So it is more the quality of the gait than really whether the horse will be fast on course (that is more adjustability). A horse with a big gallop like Muggle is what they were scoring well. He's he type of horse you want on a big open course....he would have loved phase B of the old long format....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfAD3P5Ou68

ETA: wish I had gotten video today. Muggle had his first prelim with his new rider today...and I saw his 10 gallop again. One or two more runs at Prelim and he should be moving up.
        Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; May. 19, 2013, 06:20 PM.
        ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

• Original Poster

Any updates to this? I still don't feel like I have a good picture...seems like something people talk about but can't teach.

Comment

I always thought Teddy O'Connor had a nice gallop. I also like Sir Rockstar's gallop.

I agree that a good gallop for eventing shouldn't be on the forehand but I think a really uphill gallop that doesn't cover ground and looks like the horse is climbing all the time is also a bad gallop for eventing.

Comment

Originally posted by TSHEventing View Post
              Any updates to this? I still don't feel like I have a good picture...seems like something people talk about but can't teach.

Well here is a video of Muggle at a CIC 3*. Nilson does let him out more in this video. I think they were the or one of the fastest xc in their division. This was maybe his 3rd Advanced event. Skip to past 8 minutes almost to 9 on this video to see galloping. I'm showing this because this he scored very well in the YEH classes (a 10). I do think there are many different gallops that can be very good. But I can say from sitting on this horse, he covers a lot of ground very fast and easily (very efficient). The initial issue was rideability though...gettting him back. But that has improved a ton and gets better all the time. He pulled up from his first CCI3* extremely well. He had a run out (more rider error) late on course--but without that would have been fairly close to making the time (he had fewer time penalities than a lot of horses who had jumped clean finishing just 38 seconds over OT). Recovered very fast and was WILD on Sunday (very fresh). So I think they got it right at least with respect to his gallop when they judged him at the YEH finals. His TB dam had about 100 starts as a race horse and retired sound...I think he got his gallop from her.

http://youtu.be/3_PG8uaDBBU
              Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Oct. 23, 2014, 10:34 AM.
              ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Another bad video of a good gallop: http://youtu.be/SUngaLM1hhY (gallop begins at 2:45)
                That's my then 5 y/o at a YEH competition. He earned 9 for gallop.

Ranger has a HUGE ground covering stride when he opens up. He has good push from behind, without excess hock action to waste energy. Enough elevation in front for good reach, but again not too much up-and-down motion.

Oh, and how does it feel? Like a speed boat skimming across flat water. SMOOTH but incredibly powerful, fast, and strong. I rarely ever let him out, because it's just excessive up to training level and we haven't learned to control it properly yet. But if I exhale and relax in the wide open, he flattens out and GOES. He has what DOC calls "5th gear" to make time at the upper levels. I'm looking forward to going prelim soon where I can let him out a notch for more than 5 strides at a time.
                “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
                ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scy2NPHAOGk

This is what I like in a gallop. The type of horse that can really stretch out and you can allow him to have his neck but comes back easily when needed and is balanced enough to jump out of stride without a lot of work. You just kind of float on top of the horse, sit and drive or collect and hold when you need to. I guess the best gallop is big and adjustable and floaty and open. Big enough to get you home in time without constantly having to chase the time. He kind of falls into this big gallop so easily, it's where he wants to be, it's not where Buck is forcing him to be.

I guess maybe teaching from the side of developing forward and open first, and developing rhythm when forward and open. And then from there teach the horse to be rateable as you get near a jump. Come to the log to log one stride, collect, jump them and gallop off on a long rein reinforcing forward and open. And then work on the gallop fences, collect just enough to get the lift needed to clear the fence, and then again jump and gallop off on the long rein. Go go go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh6LhyYLlj8

This is the type of gallop I dislike. It's very choppy and not rateable at all. She's not being allowed to use her neck as part of her gallop movement (most likely because she would take off), which shortens the stride immensely. She also loses a lot of time having to fight to control the horse before the jumps and through the combinations. Whereas Buck was floating a lot more atop his mount, Hawley is working a lot harder atop hers. This horse definitely improves as the course goes on, I would say she could have used roads and tracks and steeplechase to cool her jets a little. I would also like to note that this video is old and her gallop has improved since this event but I'd still like to see tons of improvement in her adjustability on the cross country course and move allowing with the horses neck in the gallop (again, if the mare won't run off).

Comment

Here is some good listening on the gallop:
                    http://youtu.be/tkVwZtEKlkY

Comment

David O'Connor spoke at the Young Event Horse Open Forum last year at the convention about the importance of the gallop in an event horse. He used video of three different 4 star horses to compare and contrasts styles of gallop and to talk about what is good and what's not so good. I wasn't there but saw it on video and now can't find it. If you dig it's out there and I'd highly recommend it.

Here's what the USEA site says about the discussion in its wrap-up:
                      "He also discussed, in addition to video clips, the importance of the gallop in a four-star horse. Dissecting clips from Rolex Kentucky of Sinead Halpin’s Manoir de Carneville, Lynn Symansky’s Donner, and Andrew Nicholson’s ride on Quimbo, David discussed the stamina of the horses and how the gallop, even near the end of the course, needs to be a pushing gallop off of the hind legs, rather than a pulling gallop with the front legs. The horses that have up-and-down gallops may be great in the show jumping, but due to the inefficiency of that kind of gallop, may not be able to sustain speed over an 11-minute course. Pulling on the front legs also makes those horses more prone to injury."

ETA: Found it!
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkVwZtEKlkY
                      Last edited by subk; Oct. 23, 2014, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X