• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Bartville and Monocrowns?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bartville and Monocrowns?

I could not seem to find this answer elsewhere. Sorry if I am duplicating here!

So I'm in the market for a dressage bridle and possibly a new bridle for SJ/XC. It appears that my mare's face has grown... I swear that her current bridle did not give her rubs until recently. I guess that's a 5 year old for you? Anyhow she has gone quite happily in her Nunn Finer Hampton. I know it's not a Bartville, but I have liked it for the past year and a half of heavy use. These rubs are bothering me. She has one on her left temple area under the browband and one on the left behind the ear where the crown piece lays. Today's bridle inspection has me convinced that the browband that once fit so well appears to be more snug than normal.

Anyhow I have tried cheaper Dressage bridle options. Both with no success. Her dainty face has been overwhelmed by both. Plus the crown pieces have been gigantic making them rest on the bulbs of her ears. Her current bridle's crown piece is 1 inch wide including the padding. Though the padding is quite soft and provides a lovely buffer between her ears and crown piece. The actual piece is about 3/4 of an inch.

I have been looking at the Bretina just thinking that at least I should get the same bridle but in black. Now I'm thinking that I may not want this. Not to mention that I appear to want to get a larger browband than the 14.5 she's in now. This leads me to my question about Bartville because I would like to order from them. I already know my mare's sensitivity to her crown, I don't want to waste time and money on a split crown. Does Bartville do a monocrown/faux monocrown beyond just a padded noseband and browband of the Event bridle?

I am also open to other inexpensive options. I require padded everything, cob, plain cavesson in either brown or black as I may replace both bridles. I took a look at Smartpak's bridles. I believe the crown pieces are too wide. I think she would prefer a width at an inch or below. I would like to stay under $200. Closer to $100 is better especially if I have to cut off a silly flash. Personally it drives me nuts to pay $$$ just to cut up the damn thing!

TIA!!!!

Originally posted by Sedona View Post
    I could not seem to find this answer elsewhere. Sorry if I am duplicating here!

So I'm in the market for a dressage bridle and possibly a new bridle for SJ/XC. It appears that my mare's face has grown... I swear that her current bridle did not give her rubs until recently. I guess that's a 5 year old for you? Anyhow she has gone quite happily in her Nunn Finer Hampton. I know it's not a Bartville, but I have liked it for the past year and a half of heavy use. These rubs are bothering me. She has one on her left temple area under the browband and one on the left behind the ear where the crown piece lays. Today's bridle inspection has me convinced that the browband that once fit so well appears to be more snug than normal.

Anyhow I have tried cheaper Dressage bridle options. Both with no success. Her dainty face has been overwhelmed by both. Plus the crown pieces have been gigantic making them rest on the bulbs of her ears. Her current bridle's crown piece is 1 inch wide including the padding. Though the padding is quite soft and provides a lovely buffer between her ears and crown piece. The actual piece is about 3/4 of an inch.

I have been looking at the Bretina just thinking that at least I should get the same bridle but in black. Now I'm thinking that I may not want this. Not to mention that I appear to want to get a larger browband than the 14.5 she's in now. This leads me to my question about Bartville because I would like to order from them. I already know my mare's sensitivity to her crown, I don't want to waste time and money on a split crown. Does Bartville do a monocrown/faux monocrown beyond just a padded noseband and browband of the Event bridle?

I am also open to other inexpensive options. I require padded everything, cob, plain cavesson in either brown or black as I may replace both bridles. I took a look at Smartpak's bridles. I believe the crown pieces are too wide. I think she would prefer a width at an inch or below. I would like to stay under $200. Closer to $100 is better especially if I have to cut off a silly flash. Personally it drives me nuts to pay $$$ just to cut up the damn thing!

TIA!!!!
    I have the Smartpak Plymouth Elite and it is a really nice bridle for $119. My gelding is petite and has a very petite head, and the bridle is flattering to him, but he still needs the horse size for the wider browband (which is 15.5", I think, in the horse size if I am remembering correctly).

Anyway, this bridle comes in a model with no flash and a crank noseband, with web reins, or a flash model without a crank and with really nice rubber lined reins. I got the flash model and cut off the flash, because I liked that it had no crank and the nicer reins.

I also got the Plymouth event bridle and I was not as thrilled with it, but for $75 my horse needed something that fit him better than my lovely padded anatomic bridle that is huge on him. Still, it is a pretty brown with brass.
    Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
    you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

What about just buying a bigger browband?
      Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Comment

I would think that going to the softest with a bigger browband would be the ticket. I also think the wider smartpak monocrown is a good thing if she's been getting rubs. As long as the brow is big enough, the wider crown should actually rub less than a thinner one. I vote the smartpak Wellfleet line, reeeeeally nice leather on those

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm not opposed to a bigger browband. It's a matter of matching Havanna's and fancy stitching. I still would like a black bridle for my dressage setup. It certainly isn't necessary, I know. But I did find a lovely Black ancient Stubben Tristan in excellent condition and black! I just want to present it nicely.

I think I lucked out originally with my first bridle purchase. She has been quite opinionated about subsequent bridles. I was hoping to go with Bartville just for the simple fact that I know they'll make something to order. But if they don't do a monocrown of any sort, I am pretty sure my mare will hate it. I agree that wider may not be a bad thing. It's just a matter of it not cutting into her ears. That's the beauty of the Hampton. The padding is soft enough that if it rests on her ears, she doesn't mind.

Thanks for the ideas so far!

Comment

I can't answer your question about Bartville, but I do have a very oddly configured dressage bridle that I hacked together out of a few things.

So, I bought this bridle from an eBay store in England for under $100, and I use the crown, cheeks and browband from this bridle. Really great, soft padded crown and browband, and surprisingly nice leather for the price.

Then, he goes most comfortably in a figure-8, so I have a black NF w/ rings, and black NF SoftGrip reins. I love it. My jump bridle is the same, but NF all-around (no padded crown); I want to buy the English bridle in havana just to switch the crown piece out I like my black one so much!

ETA: Seconding the SmartPak Plymouth being really nice for the price, and the Wellfleet leather and padding is ahhhh-mazing. Also, the Micklem now comes in black and has a monocrown and runs about $190. But that might not work if you don't like a flash.
            Last edited by ake987; May. 18, 2013, 02:06 PM. Reason: Added info

Comment

I think Bartville will make a monocrown for you from one of their dressage bridles, but i think you will have to show them exactly what you want. It would also involve adding buckles to the other side of the noseband.

I actually am looking at having them make me a monocrown double bridle with the ear cutouts, but I haven't made it down there yet to see how much it would cost.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by rocky213 View Post
                I think Bartville will make a monocrown for you from one of their dressage bridles, but i think you will have to show them exactly what you want. It would also involve adding buckles to the other side of the noseband.

I actually am looking at having them make me a monocrown double bridle with the ear cutouts, but I haven't made it down there yet to see how much it would cost.
                Thanks! I would be ok with it being a faux monocrown as well. Only problem would be showing them what I want. I live a good 9-10 hour drive away. Plus I think I want a modified version of what I have already.

I wish I had started this thread before having a Nunn Finer Bretina sent my way. I am not sure it's what I want either.

Could you let me know whenever you talk to them about your bridle work? I'd possibly be interested in two single bridles and retire the Hampton. I just feel that I may be much happier with a Bartville in the long run...

Thanks for all the input!!

Comment

Have you looked here; http://www.ovationriding.com/bridlew...-bridle-475068
                  ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

They have a faux monocrown. It typically comes on their black crank bridle, but since they will switch things out, I have one on my non crank bridle. You can also get a larger browband, which is probably your priority if yours is tight. And they have nice padded black, non flash nosebands!

Comment

Dumb question - What is a faux monocrown?

Comment

• Original Poster

I consider the bridles with a split crown, but the cavesson laces over the top of the crown leaving the padding just touching the horse to be faux Monocrowns being that they are two pieces. The Smartpak Hartwich and the Nunn Finer Hampton plus a few other brands utilize this design. The only trouble that I have found so far with the faux monocrown is that many of them don't cutback a bit for the ears and end up resting on the bulbs of my mare's ears.

Comment

I have the bartville dressage bridle with faux monocrown. Its thick, wide and has no cutouts. I personally love the bridle and it sits well on my tbs small head. It does not sound ideal for your mare though from what you have described. Hope this helps.
                          I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Comment

No idea about Bartville--But this one looks nice.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/comfort...cvltbsjuarskzd

I have this one and like it. I have a chestnut TB mare with thin skin...so similar issues. This one fits her well and hasn't rubbed but is above your price range.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/warendo...cvltbsjuarskzd
                            ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

• Original Poster

Bumping this because I'm sure that I saw it somewhere, but is Bartville having a sale coming up in July?

I'm quickly falling out of love with my Hampton. Having put it to semi-retirement while breaking in my Bretina, I noticed that the browband has a loose stitch on an end and there are several scuffs in the leather post cleaning... I am quite pleased with my Bretina so is she, but I'm guessing it'll last about a year too. Not to mention it needs a new browband (ok, I was already planning to put a beaded one on any new bridle) and have the flash loop removed (suppose I'm just being anal in taking it to a leather guy to remove it).

I want to grab a Bartville. I suspect that if I sent along pictures of the crown piece I want, they could make it. The Bretina crown piece is perfect. From my understanding of the Bit of Britain catalog, the padded crown piece they sell is not the same havanna as the non-padded. I'd probably just build from there otherwise.

On a related note, I "built" a bridle via eBay UK with FSS pieces. They have exactly the crown piece that I want. I believe I have read some good things about them, but has anyone had any issues with them?

Thanks all. I do wish I was slightly less picky on an easier budget! Lol

Comment

I've bought a couple of times fom FSS. The first (cob bridle) was excellent quality for the money. The second time, I was very underwhelmed - slow shipping, and I thought the leather was much lower quality.

This was a few years ago, and I haven't bought from them since.

Comment

I would send Bartville the pictures and also a tracing of the cutout crown to get the exact measurements.

I found an example of the double bridle that I want them to do in their leather. I just need to send them the pictures and get it ordered. But, things like water heaters, and condenser coils for A/C systems keep sucking up my money instead !!

I think you will be very pleased with the Bartville ... Its on par with Jerry's harness bridles, but not as big or flashy.

Comment

• Original Poster

Great idea! I was planning on giving them a call to get an estimate on pricing so I can send a check as well.

I hear ya on the money stuff. I am thinking I'll be ready to buy coincidentally around the time of their summer sale. They normally have one that starts around July according some searches I've done?

I agree with what I've hear. I feel like I would be much happier with this as a daily/show bridle.

Comment

Working...
                                    X