• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Speaking of running a horse at two UL competitions back to back...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Robby Johnson View Post
    I hate to even open my mouth here, because I didn't see it, but the report on EN said she left a stride out at a water combination toward the end of course, and made it sound likea kiss-of-luck got them through. Lauren's quote, as well as archive footage of KOC, also led me to believe the mare is strong and difficult to manage on XC.

I think horses who are in pain and/or fatigued are prone to run through the aids and leave strides out which, at any level, can be dangerous.
    I saw the footage and she jumped big into the water and then was smooth and effortless, IMHO/IIRC, through the rest. I thought she was magnificent.

Comment

• ever since Teddy, I've been very "underimpressed" with that camp's ...er..."horsemanship." just sayin'

Comment

• I have loved that mare and her way of going for a long time and I don't think running her back may have hurt her. I examined both performances and while it seems like a lot, I think she was up to it and I think the telling tale will be Bromont in what three weeks?
        Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
        Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

• Or where she'll be in three years.

Comment

• Originally posted by mareslave View Post
            ever since Teddy, I've been very "underimpressed" with that camp's ...er..."horsemanship." just sayin'
            Why exactly is that? From what I heard it sounded like the incident with Teddy was just a freak accident ... Was there more to the story? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you ... Just wondering if there was something else that happened there that I'm not aware of.

Comment

• Originally posted by mareslave View Post
              ever since Teddy, I've been very "underimpressed" with that camp's ...er..."horsemanship." just sayin'
              I am not expert enough to offer an opinion about the subject of running UL horses at close intervals, however
              I think that is a really low blow, absolutely uncalled for..

I followed that pony's career, he was exceptional and he died as a result of an accident at the barn when he spooked ,got loose from his handler and injured himself irreparably.

His breeder posts here. His handler was devastated.

When you write these things on a public BB do you ever consider how hurtful you are to the REAL person that was caring for that horse?
              When you insinuate that someone's "er horsemanship" is to blame for a horse spooking , getting loose, and having to be put down because of his injuries ,you present yourself as an ass who has never experienced a tragic accident.

I suppose that there is no horse that YOU couldn't hold..
              Shame on you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robby Johnson View Post
                I hate to even open my mouth here, because I didn't see it, but the report on EN said she left a stride out at a water combination toward the end of course, and made it sound likea kiss-of-luck got them through. Lauren's quote, as well as archive footage of KOC, also led me to believe the mare is strong and difficult to manage on XC.

I think horses who are in pain and/or fatigued are prone to run through the aids and leave strides out which, at any level, can be dangerous.
                I'd love to see the footage. One person's 'eeek' is another's 'jumped in big, made up ground, scopey horse found the distance EASY on 1 less stride'.

Originally posted by Robby Johnson View Post
                think horses who are in pain and/or fatigued are prone to run through the aids and leave strides out which, at any level, can be dangerous.
                I totally disagree. Imho horses in pain and/or fatigued are MUCH MUCH more likely to try to chip in an extra stride to make less of an effort, than to stand off. In my experience horses which leave strides out are brave, confident, and feel great about using their bodies for a biggger-than-necessary jump. Also, they don't necessarily flatten when going for a biggie...
                I know it's not advisable to let horses do it all the time, though, obviously.

Re: the Teddy comment, I was really hoping that that was NOT a reference to the accident. I was a huge Teddy fan and can still sit here and cry at what happened to him. ANYONE can get dropped and have to let go... cripes, is anyone here going to say it's never happened to them? And once that horse is loose it is absolutely in the lap of the gods whether you catch it without a scratch on it, or not...

Comment

• ^^^. Thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Winding Down View Post
                    ^^^. Thank you.
                    I took the Teddy comment to mean that Nothing has been the same with OCET since Teddy's death, not that Teddy's death was anything other than a horrible tragedy for all involved. It's like the magic ended, as crazy as that is to say.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCRider View Post
                      I took the Teddy comment to mean that Nothing has been the same with OCET since Teddy's death, not that Teddy's death was anything other than a horrible tragedy for all involved. It's like the magic ended, as crazy as that is to say.
                      I took it the same way. I don't think anyone was blaming Teddy's freak accident on horsemanship, I think the comment was meant to say after Teddy's death the horses after him may have been treated with questionable horsemanship practices. And I'm also not saying I agree or disagree with that sentiment, just trying to clarify what I think the poster really meant!

Comment

Or, more specifically, that's when Mandiba was pushed beyond reason to go to the 2008 Olympics. The horse simply wasn't ready and had no business being there.

I thought that's what mareslave was referring to, as the Mandiba situation has already been mentioned on this thread.

Comment

• Even as a comment regarding Mandiba instead of Teddy, I think it's out of line. No one seems to remember that Mandiba had already been short-listed before Teddy died, which meant they were obiligated to send him if he was named to the team, or that Mandiba was the very last option left when all the other horses had to leave quarantine.

Comment

• I respectfully disagree that all of the jumps are 'great designs'.

There were two jumps I felt were not safe in their design. The first was the prelim / intermediate ditch and wall. The second was the advanced table over the ditch in the back field.

I did express my concern over the design issue that has massive open ditches open on both sides which could potentially entrap a horse and rider if a mistake were made. For the ditch and wall having concrete stairs wind down to the bottom and back up to the off side and a concrete floor seem dangerous should a horse miscalculate the jump distance.

The jumps themselves were beautifully built and presented, it was the adjoining terrain that concerned me. A simple fenceline on the take off side would, to me, be more safe should a horse try and run out.

As it happened a mare miscalculated the distance and was trapped at the prelim ditch and wall down in the concrete and another apparently landed on the table that had open air on the landing side over a huge ditch and that horse kicked the table apart and went down in that deep ditch. Both thankfully recovering.

I am not complaining, only expressing concern. I made a decision to not ask my upper level horse to do either until the deep ditches are somehow no longer wide open on either side of the jumping questions.

Originally posted by Glenbaer View Post
                            I have been at Chatt this week apprenticing with Hugh. The courses are absolutely lovely, great designs and questions, but are not easy. I would want only a fit, focused, totally "on" horse, and nothing less.

To add an interesting point- I was not aware of this, but maybe others are- courses can now be identical for national and FEI levels. In other words, Prelim/* Int/** and Adv/*** can be exact same track, questions, fences. In theory, you could end up "moving up" a level on an FEI track, or find yourself essentially running a starred track every weekend. Food for thought.
                            " TOUGH. Sound, bull headed, strong and wild horses to ride. They have a mind of their own and you just have to learn to deal with it. " My Babu Bloodline.

Comment

I see that mareslaves' post could leave room for interpretation and I hope very much that you are correct. The "tone" had me feeling that mine was the correct reading.

Comment

• I just noticed that Will Faudree won the CIC3* at Jersey Fresh the weekend of May 8th-12th on Andromaque, flew her to France and then came 4th at Saumur last weekend, which, unless I can't add, is two weeks between CIC3*s.

Is that too much?
                                "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                                Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

• Original Poster

Wasn't Saumur a CCI?
                                  Road to the T3D
                                  Translation
                                  fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
                                  skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

Comment

• Saumur was a CCI.
                                    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
                                    www.mmceventing.com

Comment

• Still an overseas flight, different time zone, weather, etc, etc, etc.
                                      "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
                                      Courtesy my cousin Tim

Comment

• It was CCI 3*. Still about 80 3* jumping efforts in two weeks. CICs are supposed to be slightly more intense even though shorter in length. The jumps are no smaller.

According to the Chronicle the Jersey Fresh CIC was a "tuneup" for Saumur. Pretty damn tough for a "tuneup".
                                        "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                                        Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

• Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                                          I just noticed that Will Faudree won the CIC3* at Jersey Fresh the weekend of May 8th-12th on Andromaque, flew her to France and then came 4th at Saumur last weekend, which, unless I can't add, is two weeks between CIC3*s.

Is that too much?
                                          Apparently not! Go Will!

Comment

Working...
                                          X