• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Any show organizers that would like to chime in here??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any show organizers that would like to chime in here??

I sent in my completed entry for a horse trials well before the closing date, and I was placed on the waitlist. I was a little shocked, and investigated a little further, noticing that there was only 1 completed entry listed in my division out of all of the "applicants."

Wouldn't you agree that people who submit their entries before the closing date AND have complete entries should be given first priority (not waitlisted) before those that have sent in incomplete entries?

Is it just me, or is $400 a huge loss if you "accept" an incomplete entry if they don't ever bring the money or show up? It doesn't make sense to me. I think competitors should be rewarded for writing that big fat $400 check if they are on time, by getting priority over incomplete entries. Any insight??

Completed entries are supposed to be accepted before incomplete entries but with the recent popularity of online entries, it can be a little less black and white than it used to be. People will enter online but still be required to send their check, Coggins, signatures, etc. which somtimes affects their "status" even though they may have entered before you.

Comment

It's a huge pet peeve of mine seeing all the incompleted entries, even when I am entered! I don't understand why people just don't do I right the first time.

I agree, priority should be given to complete and on time entries.

Comment

Any historians able to tell us when the "draw" date went away?
        http://wildwoodfarmnc.com

http://cantersgutenberg.wordpress.co...g-quiet-goose/

Comment

• Original Poster

woah woah woah.... "draw" date?? haha

I'm glad y'all agree with me. I work hard for my paycheck and when i write that $400 check on time, I want it to count!

Comment

Pet peeve of mine, too, but that's not how it works.
            Click here before you buy.

Comment

Another thing to keep in mind is that online entry lists are not always instantly updated. While it may read "incomplete," it may just be in need of updating, from personal experience.

I agree that a complete entry should get priority but I am also often the person who emails their Coggins in later - but I have not seen a waitlist at events I have been to, although it's not like I go to 10 or 20 a year.
              Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
              We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Here is what the rules say..

Below is the general regulation which defines a complete entry-either paper or electronic and one of the requirements is that payment of the entry and stabling fee is necessary.

Eventing rule: EV106.2.c states that incomplete entries should be either returned to the competitor or placed "at the bottom of the list of entries."

I would interpret to mean that complete entries should not be wait-listed behind incomplete entries-dependent on their date of submittal.

Hope this is helpful. If you feel this is not being done properly you should communicate with the show secretary and if necessary USEF as all organizers agree to abide by the rules.

Margie Molloy

GR909 General
                1. Entries must be made in writing and signed by the (1) exhibitor (2) the rider, driv
                -
                er, handler, vaulter or longeur, (3) the trainer, and (4) the coach, if applicable, or by
                the agent(s) of such person(s) and must be accompanied by funds to cover entry fees,
                stall fees and Federation fee (see GR208.1). In the case of a rider, driver, handler,
                vaulter or longeur under 18, his/her parent or guardian, or if not available, the train
                -
                er, must sign an entry blank on the minor’s behalf. Or: by transmitting the required
                entry data to a designated collection agent via the internet, accompanied by a valid
                credit card payment to cover entry fees, stall fees, Federation fee (see GR208.1) and
                applicable processing fees, and including the name(s) of the (1) exhibitor, (2) rider,
                driver, handler, vaulter or longeur, (3) the trainer, and (4) the coach, if applicable. The
                secretary of the competition will accept such an entry as complete (see 1.1 below).
                a.
                In the case of on-line entries, no competition number will be issued until the
                Competition Secretary has received an entry form, the signatures of the (1) ex
                -
                hibitor, (2) the rider, driver, handler, vaulter or longeur, (3) the trainer, and (4)
                the coach, if applicable, or of the agent(s) of such person(s). In the case of a rider,
                driver, handler, vaulter or longeur under 18, his/her parent or guardian, or if not
                available, the trainer must sign an entry blank on the minor’s behalf.
                b.
                Submission of on-line entry accompanied by a valid credit card
                or other type
                of electronic
                payment shall be construed to be acceptance by the person(s)
                named in the entry of the provisions of GR906-GR908 and GR911-GR91

Comment

This wasnt for woodside was it?

Comment

Originally posted by Fairview Horse Center
                    I, personally ignore the closing date, and plan to make sure my entries for any show that is important to me will arrive on the opening date.
                    I thought entries couldn't be postmarked before the opening date?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl View Post
                      Any historians able to tell us when the "draw" date went away?
                      Draw date never went away.

EV 106.5.a
                      a. Organizers will accept all entries postmarked or time stamped on the opening
                      date if space allows. In the event of over subscription at this stage, a draw will be
                      made and a waiting list established.
                      Note is (and has always been)for entries postmarked/datestamped (used to be received) ON the opening date.
                      Last edited by Janet; May. 13, 2013, 10:50 AM.
                      Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

I, personally ignore the closing date, and plan to make sure my entries for any show that is important to me will arrive on the opening date.
                        Originally posted by Beam Me Up View Post
                        I thought entries couldn't be postmarked before the opening date?
                        "30 years ago" the rules were based on when the entries were received. So if you wanted it to be received on the opening date, you had to mail it before the opening date. Or hand deliver it.

NOW they are based on postmark, etc.
                        Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

I, personally ignore the closing date, and plan to make sure my entries for any show that is important to me will arrive on the opening date. Sometimes that means Fedex overnighting. 30 years ago, I personally drove all of the entries from my farm to the Sec's home on the opening morning. I wanted to make REALLY sure we all got in.
                          That would not work in this day and age. Entries must be POSTMARKED no earlier than the opening date. When they arrive is not important, so long as they're not lost in the mail.
                          Click here before you buy.

Comment

Just a note--if you send FedEx or Overnight Mail or any other overnight service, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE waive the signature requirement. It is a major hassle for me to get entries that don't have that waived.

I, personally ignore the closing date, and plan to make sure my entries for any show that is important to me will arrive on the opening date. Sometimes that means Fedex overnighting. 30 years ago, I personally drove all of the entries from my farm to the Sec's home on the opening morning. I wanted to make REALLY sure we all got in.

As the manager and Secretary for many shows, I really loved entries that were complete, but things happen. People write checks for the wrong amount, payable to wrong show, send Coggins for their other horse, forget to sign their name, etc. I was not going to punish people for a mistake. Where do you draw the line between an honest mistake, and laziness?

Comment

Has anyone noticed that the postmark does not appear on some forms of postage? I don't know if it's the new print-postage-at-home systems, or some other form of software, but it's a sticker made by a Hasler postage machine, and there is no date on it! And it doesn't have a cancellation mark either. Horse show entries are not the only thing in the world that depend on a postmark; how does the Hasler system get away with this? I asked the mailman and he had no idea.

Comment

Well I can tell you that you can program postage machines to not include a post date -it says 0 or something. This is useful for offices where you need to pre-post envelopes. If it has a date and you hang onto it for 3 days before mailing, the PO can refuse to take it. And you can't post-date it either, so the null date is OK.

But to answer the OP's question, yes I'd be really annoyed about that and hopefully you will get into the event.

Comment

Working...
                                X