• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

PSA: Saddle Fit and Youngsters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSA: Saddle Fit and Youngsters

Please have your saddle fitter check your saddle fit on your young horses every 6 months!

After repeating "my saddle was fit/flocked to his back in Feb" to both my trainer and vet for weeks, I finally called the fitter back as something was just NQR.

My 6y/o OTTB grew in 3 months... Like saddle no longer works grew and saddle fitter has never seen such a dramatic change between wither tracings grew. His topline has at least an inch difference, meaning his withers popped up... This horse does not need bigger withers! Not to mention the all over widening. I'm going to take the measuring stick to him and see if he's now taller than 16.3 (says the person who said the next horse didn't have to be tall).

Unfortunately, this means my awesome, pry from my dead hands xc saddle, will no longer work Tree/bars just do not fit his shoulders/conformation. No amount of padding will work, we tried.

Off to go find a money tree and shake it for all it's worth, or I may have to "shake it for all it's worth" to pay for this horse...

This is why I DON'T get a saddle fit to a young horse...they change WAY MORE than every six months. I prefer to start off with something that generally fits them ok and then pad and shim as needed. As Vernon changed and developed (the last young, young horse I brought along), I was probably changing pad set up every couple of weeks. At about 5 and a half, he stopped changing so rapidly.

Unless you've got gobs of money to spend on a fitter, I rather invest in a variety of pads for the young horse....for this exact reason. What fits them as a baby won't necessarily fit them in the future.
    Amanda

Comment

• Original Poster

I thought I was good, waiting until he developed some muscle/actual topline. I figured at 6, he'd be done growing right? Some things you just cannot shim/pad. With really only one saddle to work with, I don't have a ton of options.

Horses, can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em!

Comment

I just opted out of saddle fitting for my young horse, and rode him in a treeless saddle. He's now coming 8, and is finally looking like a mature horse, so I will think about investing in a different saddle. The treeless is great for trail riding and dressage work, not so much for anything else. We have jumped in it, but it was....interesting. I love that thing though, it's SOOOOOO comfortable for both of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Heliodoro View Post
          I thought I was good, waiting until he developed some muscle/actual topline. I figured at 6, he'd be done growing right? Some things you just cannot shim/pad. With really only one saddle to work with, I don't have a ton of options.

Horses, can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em!
          He's probably done growing UP, but, especially since he's off the track, his shape is going to change dramatically. It isn't growth so much as developing muscles and a topline. OTTBs don't exactly have big, round toplines. And, even with Vernon, though his saddle fit didn't change dramatically, he did change shape A LOT from 5-7. Toby, who I got as a 7 year old with an already nice shape to him, is a freaking BEEFCAKE now, as a 9 year old. The better their work, the rounder they get.
          Amanda

Comment

It can be shocking how quickly these horses can change. I sold a lovely 4 yr tb to a friend of mine. He was maybe 16 1/2 h when I sold him and fairly balanced. Then all of a sudden he shot up and is 16.3 with a way higher butt. Her saddle rubbed the heck out of him and she lost riding time and right now his shape is hard to fit. I am sure he will level back out but holy moly!I do have wool flocked saddles and although all my saddles are county's the various styles fit a bit different. I have a range from narrow-wide all with skid row panels that allow them to be fit/padded as needed. One fits flat backed horses better and the other fits curvy backs better.I try to document the horses with before and after pictures because sometimes it makes a really interesting study in why saddle fit is important in training young horses. Rarely can you get away with one saddle from the age of 3-6yrs old.
            http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

A really good fitter will guide you through what you need to look for and make sure you have appropriate pads and shims to tide you over while he's changing. You're right - they change fast ! With my youngsters it's easy- I ride them in whatever demo saddles I have to hand at the time - which means that their saddle is checked and fitted to them almost every ride ! But realistically, I am not setting trees or changing flocking every day, I'm simply choosing between our various padding and shimming options.

Comment

I thought I was the only one! Currently, I am on my 4th jumping saddle for a mare I've had 3 years. She turned 6 in January.

I recently decided to invested in a dressage saddle. I got one that can be flocked with an adjustable gullet. We will see how that goes. I am crossing my fingers that we don't need another jump saddle, or that the one I have now can be adjusted.

Comment

I bought my prestige when Boom was a 4 y/o. I had it opened up 3 cm when he was a 7 y/o and it was still not quite wide enough.

Horses change seasonally. They change when the weather changes, when the grass changes, when the hay changes.

I have wide saddles. Everyone goes in them. I just use a sheepskin and an Equinity Performance pad (a gel type pad) as needed. And I have a home made wither gusset.

Personally I don't understand narrow or even medium sized TBs. Every TB I've ever had has been a wide. And if they come to me as a narrow or medium...within 6 months they are wide.
                  http://kaboomeventing.com/
                  http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
                  Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

Purp- all depends on the saddle and the tree shape and channel.

Most Tb's fit super well in my county saddles (very rare that they don't) but most go in the narrow! I just had the saddle fitter check my guy again because you wouldn't think he would work in the narrow tree but he does. Here he is- http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6109/6...2f2e0ef6d6.jpg

This is my conn/tb http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2216/5...68a026f9a6.jpg and he takes a wide in a county..he would probably be a xxwide in other saddles

This horse was just fitted and he take an extra narrow with shoulder gussets and skid row panels! http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8465/8...c914deed3c.jpg
                    http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

Oy, tell me about it... Had a Prestige that fit everything. Fit my now 8yo OTTB when I bought him as a 6yo, stopped fitting at 7yo, so invested in a new saddle and had it flocked for him, thinking it would work later on. Nope, horse's whole back changed back to fit my trusty Prestige. Sold the new saddle and we're both happy with my beloved old Prestige

FWIW, it's a 33cm tree... a bit on the wide side of medium, and it's perfect on him.
                      Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Comment

This is why all of those "this saddle will fit your horse (or any horse) for its entire life" claims make me all bitey and raptor-ish. Any REAL fitter will tell you that your youngster will grow out of saddles, the same as a human kid will grow out of his/her clothes. Being vigilant and proactive is very important with saddle fitting, esp. with the youngsters; we try to make their under-saddle experiences positive, and if the saddle's not fitting correctly, we're missing that goal. Every 6 months is a good average, but if you feel there's an issue sooner than that, my recommendation is always to table the u/s work and longe, long-line, ground drive etc. until your fitter can come out.
                        Kitt Hazelton
                        Saddle Fitter
                        www.pantherrunsaddlery.com
                        www.saddlefitter.blogspot.com

Comment

All of these stories are why I bought the cheapest Wintec all purpose for my 4 y.o. warmblood. My TB's saddles don't come remotely close to fitting (rock like a banana on a table!) but I keep hoping he'll change enough that they'll work someday...
                          ~Nancy~

Adams Equine Wellness

Comment

I *know* they change a lot from 3-7 or so, and then again in their late teens. I have the hole in my wallet to prove it.

But I also have a fine Saddle Library to show for that as well. All the saddles fit me and one of 'em will fit any horse I ride in the future.

Among these, friends, is a good ol' western equitation saddle. It rides like a dressage saddle and has a huge number of uses. It's hard to fall out of, it spreads my weight out over a larger surface area on the back of a sensitive or slightly-back sore horse, it's very different from any CC saddle that was causing a problem for the horse. It's a great addition to the Saddle Library.
                            The armchair saddler
                            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I went thru 3 saddles w/ my horse - the first one I'd already had, so used that for awhile, then went thru a round of saddle fittings got another, and I had that for a couple of years, then the last and current is a Bates CC and i think we changed the tree out twice? I pretty much did as yellowbritches posted. fortunately I was able to trade in/sell my saddles so my outlay of cash wasn't too awful..

Comment

Wow-- is it possible that was why he was so unhappy under saddle? I'm glad you found something you can help him with... sorry about your budget, tho....
                                SportHorseRiders.com
                                Taco Blog
                                *T3DE 2010 Pact*

Comment

I've got the ample library of out grown saddles, too. I'm now awaiting another new saddle. This one is an adjustable in panels, gullet and withers. We will be using the pliance testing and motion capture to check it. Annette Gavin is the saddle fitter.

http://www.hastilowusa.com/saddles/concept-saddles.html

This one has wool flocking and prolite memory foam for both horse and rider. My Princess and the Pea mare loved the demo g.p. I also ordered the Fairfax contoured girth for her.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/...-olympic-gold/
                                  Intermediate Riding Skills

Comment

bumping up this post as you all seem to have years and years of experience with this while i am quite new to the saddle fitting of youngsters. all of my horses up til now have been adults when i purchased them and so saddle fitting issues weren't as... idk what this is. i have a very hard to fit older gelding but i have addressed that knowing that his back shape won't change as much.

how do you do that with a 3yr old? that probably sounds really dumb but it's an honest question. i have an old collegiate close contact that i'd love to start him in but i don't feel it fits - it bridges. my dressage saddles are all too long for him (if the saddle is 3 fingers behind his scapula the cantle is basically at his hip, maybe 1/2-1" past T18). can someone point me in the right direction for a close contact saddle that has a bit more of a curve to the tree than an older collegiate RD graduate close contact but not as much curve as say a prestige dressage saddle? maybe a stubben? ugh... knowing i'll go through a ton of saddles is a bit daunting - i don't want to cause any harm to him!
                                    WH Miakoda - 2010 Appaloosa gelding
                                    Storm N the Harbor - 2007 Thoroughbred mare
                                    WHS SlikBlak Cadilak - 2014 Appaloosa mare (RIP)

Comment

I'm currently going through this as well. MVP's saddle library sounds like the approach I need, since I own one youngster but ride many. It's daunting though since I only own one xc style jump saddle that fits me and ride 7 a day (same ones regularly, 10 rotating sometimes). I have use of two dressage saddles that sort of fit me and some of these horses. Otherwise that's it, I really need a more show jumping balanced jump saddle and at least one dressage one that fits me comfortably. Of course I stupidly bought a young horse with some saddle fit issues and have a very limited budget. Just wanted to share my woes and let you all know you're not alone. I hate saddle shopping! Learning saddle fitting has crossed my mind as a solution too!

Comment

Working...
                                      X