• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Would you buy a horse with fused hocks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you buy a horse with fused hocks?

The horse buying process has been a beating to put it mildly. Out of the 15+ horses I've seen over the past 8 months, I've only liked 3. I vetted one only to find out he had a tendon injury that likely occurred in the field in the days between when I rode him and when I vetted him (think extreme lameness). I took another one on trial only to find out he was just not interested in cross-country.

Well, here I am with horse number 3...I've fallen absolutely in love. He's everything I want...athletic, incredibly scopey, brave, young, and oh so loveable. His owner even has a full set of x-rays that were forwarded to my vet. Well, as it turns out, one of his hocks is fusing. My vet thinks I should hold off for something with squeaky clean x-rays, but I've often heard fusing hocks are a good thing. So, COTHers, lend me your thoughts - would you consider buying a horse with fused hocks?

Originally posted by ChevalBlanc View Post
    So, COTHers, lend me your thoughts - would you consider buying a horse with fused hocks?
    No, no, and NO. There are SO many other horses out there to choose from without issues, and if he's got one fused hock at a young age, do you really want to know what else is going on in there?

MAYBE, big maybe, if you are looking for a forever horse and have no care at all for resale value AND he's a bargain basement price. You said only one of the hocks is actively fusing - what about the other one?

Comment

• Original Poster

The other one looks fine. He's an OTTB, so I imagine tracking left had something to do with it.

Everyone keeps saying there are plenty of horses without issues to choose from, but where are they?!? I have literally been actively looking (as in visiting farms and trying horses) for 8 months. I have sat on so many horses, it's hard to remember them all. I haven't found one that doesn't have some issue. Maybe it's because I want an OTTB...

Comment

I would not buy a horse with "fusing" hocks.

If the price reflected it, I would consider buying a horse with fully "fused" hocks, if I liked everything else about it, and it was performing, sound, at the level I intend to compete.
        Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

My husband had a mare that fused her hocks at 14, and though she was intermittently lame during the year it took, once fused she went on to compete at the lower level until she was 20 with no issues and no maintenance. Her son is 15 this year, and he competed through advanced and he too has fused his hocks, but is competing happily at training level, and could go prelim just fine.

Neither one moved or jumped exactly the same post fusion, but both were good enough. I would buy a horse with fused hocks, provided I wanted to compete at the lower levels. I would not buy a horse with fusing hocks still in process (because if they don't fuse completely the horse can remain lame), nor would I buy a fused horse that wanted for resale or the upper levels.

What are you looking for a horse to do? That would affect my answer to this question.
          Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
          Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
          www.phoenixsporthorses.com
          Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, I'd like to event through prelim if not higher. I certainly don't want to take a chance on a horse that might be compromised, but I also don't want to pass on a truly exceptional horse if the hock thing isn't that big of a deal. Oh this is so heartbreaking...

Comment

My horse's RH hock is fusing. He is 7, and the vet describes it as "nasty." When I acquired him he was sound and jumping small courses (2'0-2'3") but when he had to be on stall rest for a soft tissue strain the hock flared up in a major way since he was out of work. Our plan is injecting + work until it fully fuses, and my vet thinks he will be fine once it fully fuses.

That being said, I am a hunter/jumper rider with modest goals as far as fence height and showing level are concerned. I also didn't pay anything for him. It's May and he's been off almost all of 2013 - only got on to do more rehab within the past few weeks. If I was shopping for an event horse (ie not falling in love with a freebie OTTB) I would not consider a horse unless the hock was already fused.
              My Blog - www.shemovedtotexas.com

Comment

Well, I'd like to event through prelim if not higher. I certainly don't want to take a chance on a horse that might be compromised, but I also don't want to pass on a truly exceptional horse if the hock thing isn't that big of a deal. Oh this is so heartbreaking...
                I've known GP jumpers with fused hocks. It is the fusing process that really sucks and is very painful.

I would be having this discussion with your vet. It is certainly not a low risk to take on a horse with the issue.

For me it depends on which part of the hock you are talking about. It does make a difference.
                ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Are you located somewhere well off the beaten track and/or do you have a very tiny budget. Because if the answer to both of these is no, I'm super surprised you can't find a horse that you like with a reasonably clean vet check. My guy was 6 when I bought him and had raced 17 times, but had very clean x-rays. I know of several for sale now that I would buy in a heartbeat if I weren't on the no.more.horses moratorium. Their prices range from $1000-$7500. I have never had to look for more than 2 months when searching for a horse and while a couple of them have gone on to alternate jobs, I've enjoyed all of them.
                  OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                    I've known GP jumpers with fused hocks. It is the fusing process that really sucks and is very painful.

I would be having this discussion with your vet. It is certainly not a low risk to take on a horse with the issue.

For me it depends on which part of the hock you are talking about. It does make a difference.
                    If the hock fully fuses the low motion part of the joint, horse is almost as good as new. If the hock never fully fuses, you've got problems and a lifetime of injections. Ask me how I know. There are chemical treatments that are supposed to speed up the fusion process, but they are somewhat suspect.
                    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Everyone keeps saying there are plenty of horses without issues to choose from, but where are they?!?
                      Amen! I've decided to take a horse shopping hiatus for a year after three heart-breaking vet checks on "sound" OTTBs. I spent so much time and money looking at horses that were lame or misadvertised. It makes you just want to tear your hair out when you go to a show and see all these happy, sound horses. Where are they coming from?

Everyone has a different level of risk tolerance, and you need to figure out what yours is. Mine is pretty low, as I am looking for a forever horse with an eye toward resale value if s*** were ever to hit the fan in life. However, I have several friends and a previous trainer who happily pick up OTTBs from the track with the briefest trot-up, no vet check, and no rads. They often, but not always, work out, at least for low level stuff. If you have an eye toward the upper level, then I think your risk tolerance for issues in the vet check might be lower, especially since it's not like the horse is already competing soundly and successfully at the level you're wishing to compete at. A lot can go wrong along the way, so why start with question marks and issues. It's true, of course, that no horse is perfect, no vet check is perfect, etc. It's all about gambling and risk analysis. Best of luck. My heart goes out to you in the shopping process. Chin up. The right will come along eventually.

Comment

My daughter was given a 13 year old, former advanced and USET Intermediate Horse of the Year, with fused hocks. Even with her being free, I was hesitant to take her, as I thought I would have to inject her and have all kinds of issues. After consulting my vet and our trainer, who both urged me to get her, we went for it and I am so glad that we did. They competed for 5 years at the training level and we never had a soundness issue. I had her on a really good joint supplement from day one and if we traveled out of state, she got Legend.
                        Just before we retired her, she was schooling at intermediate and they were preparing to go to their first 1 star and had been asked to join young riders. I thought that she would be good for another 10 years. Three weeks later she was 3 legged lame. It wasn't her hocks, but rather her knee. She had multiple knee chips and fragments and extensive djd. She never, ever gave any clue that there was an issue...even the surgeon was floored that she was jumping at that level only weeks earlier. We were shocked that it wasn't her hocks that did her in, rather her knee. And up to that point, she was never lame or took a bad step.
                        Her story here:
                        http://www.calypsofarmeventers.blogs...s-retired.html
                        http://calypsofarmeventers.blogspot....impulsive.html
                        Lori T
                        www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
                        www.facebook.com/LoriTankelPhotography
                        www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Comment

• Original Poster

Lori - that is such a lovely story!! It looks like your daughter and Imp had a wonderful partnership.

Scubed - I live in VA and have been looking in any and all price ranges below $30,000. I've seen total green beans, packers, you name it. While I would prefer something greener, I'm not ruling out any horse due to experience level. My must-haves are simple: must be fancy enough to do well in dressage (we don't have to win, but I don't want to come in last every time) and a safe (preferably stylish jumper), must be athletic enough for prelim, must be FUN, and must be under 10 years old. Ideally, I'd like a TB or TB cross. That's it...I'm not picking based on color, gender, or even location.

I know it sounds CRAZY that I'm having so much trouble finding a horse, especially with that kind of budget. But, truth be told, I'm finding that most of the horses I've seen don't live up to their advertisements. The one I mentioned in this post is at the lower end of my budget, but he's super-talented and incredibly fun. I want to feel like I have to have the horse after riding it. If that feeling doesn't happen, then I move on. After all, I wouldn't marry a guy I'm just so-so about.

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                            If the hock fully fuses the low motion part of the joint, horse is almost as good as new. If the hock never fully fuses, you've got problems and a lifetime of injections. Ask me how I know. There are chemical treatments that are supposed to speed up the fusion process, but they are somewhat suspect.

That is also my understanding. And the fusion process can take some time (as in years).
                            ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Lori - that is such a lovely story!! It looks like your daughter and Imp had a wonderful partnership.

Scubed - I live in VA and have been looking in any and all price ranges below $30,000. I've seen total green beans, packers, you name it. While I would prefer something greener, I'm not ruling out any horse due to experience level. My must-haves are simple: must be fancy enough to do well in dressage (we don't have to win, but I don't want to come in last every time) and a safe (preferably stylish jumper), must be athletic enough for prelim, must be FUN, and must be under 10 years old. Ideally, I'd like a TB or TB cross. That's it...I'm not picking based on color, gender, or even location.

I know it sounds CRAZY that I'm having so much trouble finding a horse, especially with that kind of budget. But, truth be told, I'm finding that most of the horses I've seen don't live up to their advertisements. The one I mentioned in this post is at the lower end of my budget, but he's super-talented and incredibly fun. I want to feel like I have to have the horse after riding it. If that feeling doesn't happen, then I move on. After all, I wouldn't marry a guy I'm just so-so about.
                              Are you willing to shop out of area? Travel? Buy off video/clean PPE? There are A LOT of horses across the country that are going to fall into your price range. I can think of a nicely bred SUPER fancy 4yo WB (half TB) right now that is started u/s and o/f and going nicely for under your 30K price range, including shipping from OR to VA. If you're willing to shop out of the area, that should open up a HUGE, nearly endless list of possibilities for you.

Comment

With that price range, she could probably afford a flight to try out a few good prospects AND shipping as well.
                                "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                                Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

No. I would not buy a young horse for myself with fused or fusing hocks.

OP- you have a very healthy budget. The most I've ever spent on a horse purchase was 4K. I buy very green though. Maybe look at greener horses and spend some of your budget on training board with your trainer (if you don't feel comfortable making it up yourself).
                                  Last edited by Judysmom; May. 7, 2013, 07:58 PM. Reason: clarity!
                                  Unrepentant carb eater

Comment

NO. my first event horse had fusing hocks and it eventually put her out of action. Fused hocks can also lead to back soreness and other hind end issues. He will most likely not be comfortable for jumping if that is what you want to do.

Comment

I wouldn't buy a prospect/greenie with fusing hocks. If it was an older horse who had already fused totally and was sound it would be a different conversation. You can surgically go in and fuse or potentially use ethyl alcohol although it doesn't always work.

Comment

Like you, I've had no joy with horse-shopping recently. But I shop for youth, soundness, beautiful conformation, good gaits, and height of 16.2 or higher, all on a budget of less than $1K! I would never in a million years buy a green young horse with fusing hocks if I had a budget of $30K to spend and wanted a horse capable of prelim and above. You might get lucky but the odds would not be in your favor.

Another word of caution for you if the horse appears to be working soundly despite the bad x-rays. I overheard a woman at a horse show this weekend bragging to her friends that she had shockwaved the hocks of her lame horse in order to get it sound for a pre-purchase exam without using medications that would show up on a blood test. Do you know the sellers well enough to be sure that they haven't done the same?

Comment

Working...
                                        X