• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Working on the upward canter transition.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on the upward canter transition.

I'd love to get some input on improving my trot -> canter transition.

Right now, our transition tends to be rushed (and sometimes explosive). Our walk and trot are pretty solid for a BN frame, and the canter has improved at least 60% since we started together in August. His balance has gotten dramatically better, and we can achieve a nice and balanced canter in both directions (better to R) in a modest BN frame.

However, the quiet canter depart is eluding us. I've been looking through all my books and online to brush up on canter depart cues, refresh my brain on the mechanics of the takeoff and the gait, and while the canter has improved, the depart hasn't.
    How I am asking: Try to feel his outside hind just about to/just taking off, inside leg on at the girth, outside leg back a few inches with calf on and then back to girth, slightly flexed to the inside (not bent), inside hip/seat bone slightly forward.

How he responds: Usually rushes forward and worries, then breaks into a strung out canter, sometimes squeals, sometimes kicks, sometimes completely ignores me and doesn't do anything, often picks up the R lead when tracking L. And sometimes we get a decently balanced, unhurried transition.

It's not his saddle, he was just fit by the saddle fitter for both saddles, and is seen regularly by the chiro. It's not ulcers. It's not his bit. Not his noseband. Not a lameness.

Things I've experimented with: Asking into and out of corners. No contact thru supportive contact. Sitting three strides before asking. Where I place my leg. Asking from the walk. On every size circle from 20m to the entire rail. Small spurs, no spurs.

What has helped: Focusing on keeping control of his outside shoulder. Also, we can get nice departs after trotting into a jump, but this doesn't translate to an improved depart on a 20m circle. If I am very focused in a jumping lesson and not over-thinking the depart, we get nicer ones. However, I am more forward in my upper body in my jump saddle than I would ideally be in my dressage saddle.

I am really struggling with feeling when his outside H is taking off. It feels impossible to discern. Other than that, I'm just not sure what else to try, or what exercises to use to continue to build fitness and balance, which may then just help the transition. Or if it is something I am doing incorrectly (probably). Or maybe I should not be expecting a better transition at this stage. I'm not sure! So, thanks for reading the novel, and please feel free to share any anecdotes, advice, or references you may have!

Sometimes explosive transitions happen because you are simply doing too much, especially if you're on a horse that tends to be hot anyway. Instead of thinking through six things see if you can communicate with less. (That's probably what is happening when you do better transition while you are jumping.)

When you canter the motion through your seat and hip bones is as if you are pedaling a bike backwards. The outside hip leads. Canter around a try to feel this motion. A sensitive horse can be taught a lovely transition just by starting to "pedal backwards" on your outside seat bone.

Comment

I can totally relate because that transition was difficult for me and Bailey as well. After reading how you are asking, though, and please keep in mind I am low woman on totem pole on these boards, sounds a little over-thought.

What Bailey used to do was instead of lifting through his withers into the canter, he would lift his head and neck and just slightly rush into it. Granted he is not built to REALLY lift through his withers, but he is capable of it.

What my trainer and I figured out was I was tensing ever so slightly before I would ask for the canter. How we changed it was I sat earlier (before I started sitting the entire test), kept my low back and hips supple, and kept my legs ON. My habit was asking with the outside leg just behind the girth and letting the inside leg come off too much. Now I lightly keep my inside leg at the girth, have my outside leg slightly farther back than I did originally (more bend at the knee), a squeeze with my low calf/ankle, and a roll with my seat.

The trick to keeping Bailey through into the upward canter transition is legs on. I find that to the be key to a lot of other horses as well...from the ones I ride to the lessons I watch my trainer give. Sit tall with your upper body, don't lean back, and take a slow breath in. That always helps me sit up tall and straight and open my collarbone so I don't collapse in the transition.

Hope that makes sense, and possibly helps!
      runnjump86 Instagram

Horse Junkies United guest blogger

Comment

I would take the "feeling the outside hind" out of the equation. I think that is complicating matters and making you over think and probably tense.

One of the biggest things I've found happens at this stage is that the rider is under riding the trot INTO the canter. Make sure your trot is forward, rhythmical, and marching and ask from THAT. Usually, when a rider stops fussing with all the other stuff (figuring out where the hind leg is, etc) and focuses on the quality of the trot, the canter depart smooths out.

The other thing I find at this stage is the rider finds the canter too quick, but in reality that is where the canter is for the horse's development. They will get the canter, and immediately go to rein it all in. But the horse is green and his canter IS going to be a little forward and longer than you ultimately want. The horse anticipates the "WHOA NELLIE" aids in the first few strides of canter, so rushes and tenses INTO the canter. Let the canter travel on a bit and the canter depart will probably smooth out.

(I speak from experience both as a rider of many young, green horses, as a keen observer from watching many, many lessons of riders of young, green horses, and from helping people with young green horses....these are extremely typical scenarios).

This is what I would do: use circles and corners to help set you up. I was always taught to only ask on circles and corners until the horse was much, much further along in their training. Establish a nice, forward, marching trot that is straight and relaxed. KEEP THAT TROT and ask for the canter with the horse straight or slightly flexed to the inside (outside leg back, inside leg at the girth...sit or don't sit, whatever works, but I would sit sooner than 3 steps). Allow the horse to move along in the first few steps, then half halt as needed. REALLY try not to pull or half halt in the first few steps.

If it is explosive or silly or just not good, calmly come back to trot, re-establish the trot work, and try again. Rinse and repeat until you get your desired depart. Big praise (I would use voice and maybe a gentle pat/stroke if you are good at that without throwing your contact away), canter a circle. Rinse and repeat. Do a few in each direction (think of the Rule of 3: Do it right at least 3 times before moving on). Do a few simple changes, taking lots of time to establish a good trot between directions. Every time you get a good depart, give a nice "Good boy" and a scritch if you can. Every time you don't, quickly and calmly go back to trot and ask again.

Remember that transitions, especially to canter, are strength exercises. Don't over-do them and risk him getting fatigued. A few in each direction is plenty to start.
        Amanda

Comment

• Original Poster

Awesome advice from everyone, thank you!!!

subk - I wholeheartedly agree that I am doing too much. It's very comforting to hear "do less", because I clearly was not doing all 329483920 things competently. I really love your description of pedaling backwards. Sometimes I hear analogies that just *work* for me, and that is definitely one of them. Thanks a bunch!

rnj - Yup, agreed, over-thinking! Bailey's old transition sounds very similar to ours currently. I guarantee that I am tensing, and I know this contributes to the quality of our depart. I will continue to work on reducing tension in my body - I like to go through a mental checklist in my head by tensing each muscle group for a second or two, then relaxing. Sometimes I think ..let's say, my shoulders are relaxed, but after tensing them and releasing I feel that they were actually quite tight, so this exercise helps a great deal - I think I will start doing it as part of our pre-canter prep (but not too close to the transition!). Thank you

YB - How does it feel to be so right? That's what you call a butt-load of great advice! I am so relieved you recommended forgetting about the feeling for the OH, it is just something I do not feel equipped to identify at this point in time, and I believe focusing on it is only acting as a detriment because I get so wrapped up trying to feel it, I lose our nice, forward trot, which I know is one of the top contributors to getting a nice canter.

I don't think his canter is too quick (I mean, quicker now than I would like if we were riding at a higher level - but I think it's pretty decent for where he is in his training and has slowed quite a bit since we started together), and I do try to let him sort out the first handful of strides on his own before applying a balancing half-halt - which he does respond very well to. I struggle in balancing the amount of contact to keep and how reasonably round I should expect him to stay through the transition. Regardless of the amount of weight in my reins, we still get a rushed, head up in the air transition, so I am guessing a lot of this will simply come together with increased strength. Right now, I'm not sure my hands are good enough to give him a scritch without screwing up my contact, as keeping my elbows greasy and following has been a challenge for me, but he absolutely responds to my voice. Thank you for the advice!

Comment

YB - How does it feel to be so right? That's what you call a butt-load of great advice! I am so relieved you recommended forgetting about the feeling for the OH, it is just something I do not feel equipped to identify at this point in time, and I believe focusing on it is only acting as a detriment because I get so wrapped up trying to feel it, I lose our nice, forward trot, which I know is one of the top contributors to getting a nice canter.
            Like I said, I've been there. Every green horse goes through this stage, and I think every rider goes through it, too. You try SO HARD to get it right that you lose the trot which just makes the transition suck. It happens. It's part of the process.

I know VERY FEW people that can tell you 100% of the time when any particular leg is about to do what. In fact, even the Grand Prix dressage rider I ride with some does not ever mention asking for a depart at that moment (and I'm riding a horse that does solid prelim work and is getting the intermediate work). A quality trot (or walk)? Yes.

Play with the connection. Some horses prefer a feel, some want a give. Some horses change over time. Play with the flexion, too. I finally figured out that I had to ride Toby REALLY straight into his right lead canter, otherwise I lost him. I can ride with a bit more flexion to the left. Just keep playing and experimenting. When you find something that works, even a little, keep it and use it 100% consistently. And NEVER accept a bad transition. Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.
            Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by yellowbritches View Post

This is what I would do: use circles and corners to help set you up. I was always taught to only ask on circles and corners until the horse was much, much further along in their training. Establish a nice, forward, marching trot that is straight and relaxed. KEEP THAT TROT and ask for the canter with the horse straight or slightly flexed to the inside (outside leg back, inside leg at the girth...sit or don't sit, whatever works, but I would sit sooner than 3 steps). Allow the horse to move along in the first few steps, then half halt as needed. REALLY try not to pull or half halt in the first few steps.

If it is explosive or silly or just not good, calmly come back to trot, re-establish the trot work, and try again. Rinse and repeat until you get your desired depart. Big praise (I would use voice and maybe a gentle pat/stroke if you are good at that without throwing your contact away), canter a circle. Rinse and repeat. Do a few in each direction (think of the Rule of 3: Do it right at least 3 times before moving on). Do a few simple changes, taking lots of time to establish a good trot between directions. Every time you get a good depart, give a nice "Good boy" and a scritch if you can. Every time you don't, quickly and calmly go back to trot and ask again.

Remember that transitions, especially to canter, are strength exercises. Don't over-do them and risk him getting fatigued. A few in each direction is plenty to start.
              Thanks YB for giving me my exercises to work on tonight! I'm having the same problems with my guy, so really remembering to establish the trot prior to the transition is a great reminder.

Thanks!
              All that is gold does not glitter;
              Not all those who wander are lost.
              ~J.R.R. Tolkien
              http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
              X