• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horrible clinic, what would you do??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow what a bummer! I would be so disappointed if I had saved up to clinic with someone who was raved about on COTH. I would definitely want to know up front how many people would be riding in the group I was in. Most clinics I have audited (never ridden in one) have a small number in each group, small enough that each rider certainly gets more than 6 minutes ride time for certain. However I also feel like sometimes you just don't get an "ah hah" moment for whatever reason. Obviously this person was a bad match for you and perhaps just having an off weekend. However I feel you are well within your rights to share their name. If you came on here and raved about them that would be okay. You have just shared your personal opinion and experience and everyone can interpret their own way.

Comment

Originally posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
      To the OP: I am so sorry for your troubles. This is why I generally do not go to clinics. I've attended some as a rider, even some that were supposed to be private lessons, but got little out of the experience. Far too many clinicians like to hear themselves talk, or spend too much time discussing theory.

I don't think there is much you can do other than to let the organizers know that you are disappointed. Let them know exactly why and suggest that it was not good value. Please also share your experiences relative to the more advanced groups. It sounds like this clinician is enamored of himself and isn't tailoring the exercises to the needs of the students. People doing prelim should definitely be doing more advanced questions or bigger stuff than the B/N folks.

At this point you aren't going to get your money back. However, if enough people talk to the organizers it may convince them to never invite this person back.

Please PM me - I'd like to know who this person is so I can tell my eventing friends who to avoid.
      Can you please PM me too...I prefer to avoid wasting my money!
      Fillys By Vibank - 2017 Road to RRP
      https://www.youtube.com/user/jealoushe

Comment

Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post
        Just don't go again next time.

I did a clinic where I spent one day getting roughly 5 minutes of personal feed back on leading my horse around and spending a half hour spinning it around on one leg around the perimeter with everyone else until finally the clinician got around to commenting on my one-legged-spinning for 10 seconds, and the next two days jumping a grand total of 3 short courses a day, for a total of 6 courses in four hours of essentially standing around.

Which, if I wanted to learn by WATCHING I would have AUDITED for $450 fewer dollars, and without the need to trailer my horse and get him all spotless.

For the most part, I think jumping clinics are for the birds. It is always some group of a zillion people and you spend more time waiting your turn than doing anything. Waiting your turn is "auditing." The difference between "Watching everyone else go" and "watching everyone else go and having a turn myself for 6 minutes" is not worth a couple extra hundred dollars and the rigamarole of transporting the horse to me.

Show me a jump clinic run like dressage clinics where it is a private lesson that everyone else is auditing but you are doing, and suddenly I will be pulling the benjamins out of my wallet again.
        I agree with this! I've ridden my horse in one jumping clinic and two dressage clinics. The dressage clinics were infinitely more helpful, way less expensive, and a way more positive experience for both me and my horse. The jumping clinic was terrible, way too large a group, the clinician could not tell me/my horse apart from my friend/her horse (and my friend's horse was a been there done that mare; my horse was a green five year old gelding), and my horse and I both lost confidence after being overfaced (he stopped for the first time in his life - several times - and I almost fell off).

The dressage clinics were awesome, we rode alone, the clinician focused on us for our entire ride time, and I left with TONS of great stuff to work on to improve the horse's flatwork.

I do think jumping clinics can be useful if you are on a horse that is already quite finished and you ride in one of the more advanced groups. I've done jumping clinics with more finished, actively showing horses and gotten more out of them.

I do actually get a lot out of auditing jumping clinics.

Anyway, OP, I would just not ride with this clinician again. And in the future, I would audit a clincian before choosing to ride with them.

Comment

Can you please PM me as well? I'm scheduled to ride with a clinician everyone raves about, but may have a conflict that weekend. It might help me decide which way to go if it's the same person...
          "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Comment

Originally posted by horselover1117 View Post
            I was definitely in the right group, I've only been eventing for about 2 months and I was in the Beginner Novice/Novice group.
            OP I am really sorry you had a bad experience. I'm very surprise someone who had only been eventing for 2 months would pony up hard earned savings to ride in a clinic with a big name trainer that seems a bit premature to me.

Comment

Originally posted by mbm View Post
              ok, i am not an eventer, but i would FOR SURE write or call the organizer and express your unhappiness! i would send them the video and show them the total of 6 minutes of riding.

i would ask for a refund and if they were not forthcoming i would publicly post the name of the clinican, the organizer, etc. all just listing the facts: how much you spent, how much riding time you got etc.

i think it is ridiculous that we in the horse world put up with being ripped off and say we must just chalk it up to experience! that is how bad clinics happen: the clinician and organizer and not informed at how much it sucked so they continue to provide bad service.

You might get push back, but i really do believe we need to hold our professionals to a higher standard!

good luck!
              I organize a lot of clinics and if I have someone in that does not give value for money I do not bring them back, and if it were going to make a difference I would speak privately to the clincian about why.

However, I would never be able to refund a participants money because they were unhappy with the clinician. I put these things on as an educational event & they are NOT big money makers. The type of clinician you are talking about is hugely expensive, there are attendent expenses such as airfare, lodging, extra insurance, etc.

If I were responsible for refunding unhappy peoples clinic fees you can betcha I'd never, ever put on another clinic. No way I'd want to take on that risk along with all the expense and work that goes with putting one on.

Luckily, the folks I've brought in over the last few years have all been great...

Comment

• Original Poster

I've been riding hunter/jumpers my whole life so Im not a beginning rider. Just new to eventing. I figured this would be a great way to learn as much as I can and start off the season with some good knowledge and things to work on.

Originally posted by subk View Post
                OP I am really sorry you had a bad experience. I'm very surprise someone who had only been eventing for 2 months would pony up hard earned savings to ride in a clinic with a big name trainer that seems a bit premature to me.

Comment

I wish I had the guts to do it, so far just audited. However I think it is not premature to ride in a BN/N clinic after only a few months especially if you have been riding for a long time in another discipline. I just hope when I do get the guts up it doesn't go like this.

Comment

I would appreciate a PM with the name of the clinician, too, with assured discretion. Like you, my $$$$$ is EXTREMELY limited and I would not want to waste my money on this clinician, either. A bit of chat is ok, but 20 min in the middle of the ring for non-productive/educational chatter is a waste of time and money. Thanks!
                    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
                    Jump Start Solutions LLC

Comment

Couple of thoughts for you as someone who has some connections on both ends of the transaction:

1. As a BN rider, DO NOT clinic with a big name rider unless you've seen them teach.
                      2. Whenever possible, don't clinic with anyone until you've seen them teach. Does their style fit your riding? Do you need Germanic, supportive, or .............? What's the ratio of talking to riding (zero of either is bad).
                      3. For N/BN stuff, I usually recommend a good local clinician. Cheaper, more attuned to the level, more accessible for "pre-qualifications."
                      4. See if you can quantify how much the proposed clinician teaches the level you're at, whatever the level. Mark Phillips (and several other BNRs who shall remain nameless) was pretty useless (IMO) at Novice.
                      5. I always like to see a clinician close out the clinic with personal remarks/advice to each participant.

Some of the biggest names in the sport are awful clinicians, in my world, although they frequently get rave reviews. Relating to an inexperienced rider when you just ran Rolex must be quite difficult for many.

Comment

Sorry you had a bad experience, OP. that sucks.

However, to the comments about why you went at all...i disagree. as a beginning event rider, I had very good experiences going to LAZ's event camp and thought it was money well spent. My horse and I did fine, learned a lot from really wonderful instructors, and I did not consider the cost excessive at all--not more than a week at an A show and far more valuable.

Plus, as I keep my horses at home in a place with little eventing, even a drive to LAZ's for a lesson requires a three hour drive each way for local instruction (that said, LAZ is fantastic and i love lessoning there when I can.) Event camp is practically a bargain, though, factoring in gas prices due to my location.

Comment

Clinics can be a funny thing - and sometimes the group and even the organizers dynamics can influence how the clinic will be. The same clinician w/one group or clinic might be fantastic and another clinic not so great. I've not ridden in too many clinics ($$) but have audited quite a few and sometimes the same clinic - like George Morris does a clinic every year at a barn near me so for years made the annual trek to audit - some years he was simply fantastic, one year he was a chauvanistic pig. Sure everyone knows he can be intimidating but his comments to this one person were so out of line and had zero to do w/ her riding. I would send a letter or some feedback to the organizer as others have posted, most want some feedback. Just because a person is a BNR or BNT doesn't mean they are great clinicians or communicators, some have an absolute knack for it, some don't.

I would let the organizer know you were let down by the clinic. While the organizers can't do anything about the clinician they would want to know. You might not be the only disappointed attendee...and if this place has clinics frequently I'm sure they'd want to know who to bring back, who not to. I will say too that sometimes the organizers do set the mood for the clinic. I attended one a few years back and when we pulled in several of us in our group stood around unsure of what we were supposed to do, where to park, where to check in; etc - so it started us off somewhat on the wrong foot.

Comment

I think I need to ask why we are so secretive when something bad happens, yet it's fine to gush profusely when you have a good ride?

Everyone wants to know who this clinician is, and if he or she is not giving good clinics anymore (because past experinces have been very good and this seems to be an aberration) isn't that something the horse community should share? If so and so is now phoning it in, they should either stop clinicing or shape up. And maybe they just had a bad day.

If we knew who/what this clinic was, 2 things can happen -

the other riders can chime and say "yeah, me too, I thought it was just me but it was bad"

or "wow, I actually got a lot out of it and here's why".

Just my extra 2 cents.

Comment

I'm curious as to what people think the response on the H/J Forum would be if I went over to there and stated I went to XYZ's clinic last weekend and it was just horrible and I've been riding hunters for 2 months.

Comment

I'm curious as to what people think the response on the H/J Forum would be if I went over to there and stated I went to XYZ's clinic last weekend and it was just horrible and I've been riding hunters for 2 months.

Hmmm. I post on the HJ forum more than this one these days as thats my focus right now (NC Coast = no eventing whatsoever!). I think it would be pretty similar to our responses. No one likes when anyone spends a lot of money, looks forward to learning a lot at a clinic, and doesn't get anything out it. Apart from anything else it reflects badly on the sport.

OP - don't think all eventing clinics will be like the one you went to! I agree that you should audit as much as you can and get a feel for the types of clinicians you learn most from. You'll also learn tons from auditing. If there are any dressage clinics in your area those are worth going too as well.
                                "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                                "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary View Post
                                  I think I need to ask why we are so secretive when something bad happens, yet it's fine to gush profusely when you have a good ride?

Everyone wants to know who this clinician is, and if he or she is not giving good clinics anymore (because past experinces have been very good and this seems to be an aberration) isn't that something the horse community should share? If so and so is now phoning it in, they should either stop clinicing or shape up. And maybe they just had a bad day.

If we knew who/what this clinic was, 2 things can happen -

the other riders can chime and say "yeah, me too, I thought it was just me but it was bad"

or "wow, I actually got a lot out of it and here's why".

Just my extra 2 cents.
                                  I think we get concerned with the fact that people do not know who the OP is....and its one person's opinion. To me....while I feel bad the OP had a bad clinic...I also know that one side of the story isn't the full story.

So a part of me doesn't really care who the clinician was...nor do I want one person potentially damaging a person's reputation.

If the person is typically not good a giving a clinic--people will know.

I do know who the clinic isn't with...Since most people that I clinic with regularly were not giving a clinic Badminton weekend...(some were coaching at Badminton and others were competing elsewhere).
                                  ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

You would think that someone with the least "eventing specific" knowledge going in would be the easiest to teach something new and helpful to.

I mean, when you get really good at a discipline it is harder and harder to find people who can offer you something useful. They exist, but you have to drive several hours and spend lots of benjamins.

If someone is two months in, and a BNTwho can allegedly teach up to the highest levels still can't come up with a positive learning experience for them, that is a little interesting.
                                    The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                                    Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                                    Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                                    The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

As far as not going to a BNT when you are only a beginner, well if they are offering a clinic for Beginner Novices then why not? Though I agree probably better to spend money with a good local trainer but I can see why someone would want to clinic with someone they heard others rave about.

Comment

All I'm trying to say is take it in context.

I've sat in many low level groups at clinics where there was more discussion than riding and come away feeling like I learned a lot. By the same token I could imagine someone without much experience in the sport sitting in the same group and getting exactly nothing precisely because they have no frame of reference.

I've been eventing for years, but have little to no frame of reference to take to a George Morris clinic. I would expect to miss out on a lot of information because I don't have the experience in the sport to recognize and absorb a lot information he would impart.

I'm not saying the OP didn't have a bad clinic, I'm not saying the clinician wasn't the worst thing that ever taught. But I am saying that before there is a public lynching it is important to consider that most people riding in event clinics have been eventing longer than 2 months and it is quite possible that the OP's lack of experience just might have something to do with the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by horselover1117 View Post
                                          Basically, I walked away from this weekend feeling worse about everything and with nothing to go home and work on. This clinician has a very big name for being "one of the best there is" and it was not cheap to ride with them. I saved and saved so I could do this and now I just don't know what to do. I did talk to two other people in my group who said the same thing… that they would NEVER pay to ride with this person again and that it was one of the worst (in not THE worst clinic they’ve ever done). It was so bad that I feel I need to do something. So my question is, what would you guys do?? Would you write the clinician a letter?? Write the organizer a letter? Ask for your money back?? Do nothing??
                                          Yes I would - the only person that can effect a change in this scenario IS the clinician - AND I'd be interested in his perspective & how it reflects mine ...

Actually, I'd've tried to speak with the clinician at the end of Day 1 & certainly, at the end of Day 2.

During all that "talk time", were other participants engaging the clinician? did anyone request help with particular issues? how should wants be communicated to the clinician?

I'm sorry you had a poor experience at this clinic.

Comment

Working...
                                          X