• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Do you train in the rain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't like to do flatwork in the rain. But I will happily go out on a conditioning ride in about any weather. we had a horse who was quite the hothouse flower - he didn't like the dark, and he didn't like rain. We conceded to the dark thing and kept him in at night but had to make sure every time it rained, he had to go gallop so he felt it pelting his face. It's important to sometimes train in the same conditions you will find when you compete. But it doesn't mean you can't whinge about it a little.

( if we tried leaving him out at night he often ended up standing under a nearby streetlight... FINE, you can stay in the barn)

Comment

I have nowhere to ride outside when it rains (grass outdoor rings, BO doesn't want them torn up if it's wet out), so no, I go inside to ride if it's raining anywhere in the past few days. I've ridden in the rain outside at horse shows and it's NBD.

Comment

If the footing is good and the rain is not freezing cold then I put on my waterproof saddle cover, waterproof quarter sheet, raincoat, and waterproof helmet cover and we get out there!

Comment

Originally posted by ReSomething View Post
          I think you need to. The competitions are held in the rain and how are you going to be comfortable with the feel of wet reins and being pelted if you don't? Not to mention getting your glasses wet and not being able to see. Anyway I used to, but thunderstorms do scare me a little, for obvious reasons.
          I don't ride in the rain (it's the only time I get a day off) and I competed in the pouring rain, on grass, in horrible footing, wearing glasses in a raincoat at Poplar this weekend and didn't have an issue.
          Big Idea Eventing

Comment

I do. I love to ride in the rain. But ONLY when it's warm. : )

If I'm in the arena I'll ride until the dirt becomes too heavy.
            Then I move to the pasture.
            I rode Toby in a down pour once. It was clear that he had probably never been ridden in the rain. We were in the middle of a fairly heavy duty dressage schooling and a down pour came a rollin in. He was pretty upset at first and hated the rain on his ears. When I didn't react to his on -oing upsetness he finally sighed and went back to work.

I love it. Just like walking in the rain. Plus, it kills 2 birds with 1 stone--I finish with clean tack.

hehehe
            http://kaboomeventing.com/
            http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
            Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

I spent a lot of years riding in sunny south Florida, and then moved to the rainy PNW. Sometimes it rains for weeks on end here, and even I can suck it up. Get a waterproof quarter sheet and a good rain jacket.

I highly recommend the asmar all weather jacket if it's cold. If it's warmer than the 40's, the jacket will likely be too warm, but it did me wonders all winter -- kept me AND my saddle dry!

Comment

Yep! And just yesterday, when storms were threatening and the sky was spitting in stadium warm-up, I was glad that rain is part of regular riding for me and my mare. We are used to wet reins and soaked gloves and slick grass and mud (from when we lived in the Midwest) and even a downpour can be business-as-usual for a fox hunting pair. I show up for scheduled dressage and jump lessons despite the weather unless the instructor cancels. It's just part of covering all the bases and being prepared for anything you might face in competition. Just do it.
                Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Comment

You needed to be used to riding in the rain if you were at Poplar this weekend! It dumped buckets on us all day on Saturday. This FL girl is not so used to the hills, and the combination of hills and really slippery mud on cross country (on my barefoot behind horsse) scared the $@%+ out of me, but it was a long way to drive to pack up and go home because of rain. My coach told me to go out on XC and keep going as long as my horse felt okay, and he just got better and better in it. I rode in the rain leading up to the show too, and I will if I have something coming up, but honestly, I try to always do my riding in the early morning to avoid the rain, and once in a while, in the middle of the summer when there are no shows for months, I'll skip a ride here and there.

Edited to add: I did feel bad for the folks that had to show jump on Saturday in the grass. A few of the jumps had holes of slop on the takeoff and landing and I saw some very honest horses having trouble with that course. I was VERY glad they moved SJ to the arena on Sunday and give major props to the show management who had their folks out in the rain on Saturday night in the dark rebuilding the course on better footing.
                  The rebel in the grey shirt

Comment

umm I always ride in the rain. Big bad downpours and super windy hail storms too. My one horse had an absolute fit the one time...but the next time he was great. If I didn't do it at home, I would have been screwed at a show.
                    Boss Mare Eventing Blog
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/jealoushe

Comment

Originally posted by Loopy View Post
                      Yes, I ride in the rain. But, I'm English, I live in England...if I didn't ride in the rain I would hardly ride a lot of the year Rain clothes and it's not so bad
                      Swap "England" with "Seattle" and I would post the same thing. I think I ride in the rain more than out of the rain from November to June! With that being said, the rain in Seattle isn't a thing of epic proportions like it is in many other parts of the country. We rarely have lightening and so there's no more danger than...well....getting wet.

Comment

Well, after watching yesterday's KD race....yes, I will ride in the rain. I feel like a giant wimp after watching that!

Comment

Absolutely. Only don't if it is lightning. Also, may do work in ring when it is raining rather than out where footing might be suspect. I am now somewhere with an indoor, but unless it is pouring, I still sometimes ride out in the rain.
                          OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

Our arena is closed if it rains, and the trails are Georgia red clay... and my commute to the barn is 1hr+. So, no, I don't drive an hour to hack on the gravel driveway.
                            Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

Comment

I don't. I hate how rain feels on my skin.

Comment

I used to avoid riding in the rain as much as possible. Whenever I was at shows it would always rain, ruin my ride, ruin my day, ruin my show experience. I finally came to the realization that if I didn't ride in the rain at home, my horse wouldn't get used to it.

Now, even if I'm not planning on riding, I take time out of my day to go ride in the rain (Unless it's pouring, of course.) I make sure I do some good hack work, and make sure it's up to my normal sunny standards! I grab my raincoat, some gloves, a thin fabric pair of breeches, and I use a saddle cover so my tack doesn't suffer.

Believe it or not, my horse likes when she's ridden in the rain now! She loves riding through puddles and I normally end up playing around with her unless it starts thundering.. then it might be time to go inside.
                                Save The Date 08-15-2011

Comment

I'm a dressage rider (now) and a Florida person w/o an indoor, and I definitely ride in the rain. I do use "Spark" to keep an eye on lightening, but other than that I go for it! I can't control the weather at shows, and expect my guys to be obedient and reliable in any weather or footing -- a layover from my eventing and jumping days
                                  Piaffe Girl -- Dressage. Fashionably.
                                  http://piaffegirl.wordpress.com/
                                  https://www.facebook.com/PiaffeGirl

Comment

I definitely ride in the rain. I do not have an indoor arena and here in Canada I ride in all weather unless its sideways rain or sheer ice.

Its great for us to learn how to ride in all conditions. All last season they said there was a drought, but every show I went to it down poured, and you still ride in it.

I really recommend everyone to ride in the rain, it gets you really prepared!

Comment

Rode in the rain tonight. LOVE my waterproof saddle cover. Best $27.80 I ever spent!

Comment

I live at the beach in NC where it rains, without fail, every evening in the summer. I used to just not ride on those days but as time goes by I ride more and more in the rain. My current horse absolutely loves it -- all of my best flat sessions have been in the rain.. hmph.. if only we could compete dressage in the rain.

In the summer I usually just wear normal breeches and a lightweight running/vented shirt, winter is definitely rain gear and a exercise sheet (waterproof) for the horse.

Comment

My old coach (and her coach as well) rarely cancel lessons due to rain. Unless it's raining so hard that it's actually dangerous to be in it, the footing is too sopping to be usable (though rings in our area are designed specifically to cope with our extremely wet fall-through-spring weather here on the Wet Coast, so generally only get bogged down if the drainage just can't keep up. Usually only lasts a day or two, then we're good to go again!), or if there are high winds and risk of trees falling or branches blowing into the ring. I actually don't mind being out in the rain once i'm wet, it's getting wet that sucks. but, once it happens there's nothing you can do about it, so why not make the most of it and ride?
                                          Curious about Trans* issues? Feel free to ask!
                                          Saving Pennies To Get My Own Canoe
                                          FAQs

Comment

Working...
                                          X