• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

WWYD, if sold a horse with undisclosed dangerous behavior?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, but is she's that bad on the ground it's the kindest thing to do. She'll end up hurting or killing someone (which you already know). It sucks, but thank you for being conscious and conscientious instead of dirty (like so many).
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Comment

You might want to delete details on here including lawyer's advice until after you have dealt with the matter

Comment

• Original Poster

She is actually ok on the ground with me except for some minor things that could have been looked over if not combined with the rest, but according to the trainer she came to her pretty sour and anti-social in all aspects.

All I've seen on the ground is that she has freaked out in the cross ties once, she is quite a challenge on the lunge and you can see she's contemplating aggression and she reared up a few times when I closed the doors behind her in the trailer, so I have to be really careful and talk to her while I close them slowly. I have a warmblood size fairly new Hawk, so it's not like I'm trying to stuff her into a tin can. All of these things make you really wonder what's truly going on in there. The owner also said she was quite a pill when she was just a baby as well, but they took care of it right away...man I feel stupid. This seller knew I had a toddler too, and said she's great with kids of any age. That just brings out a whole level of furious only a mother would understand!

Thanks Crockpot. Attorney said it's not a problem, just can't share names

Comment

Originally posted by Win1 View Post
          Seller is also the breeder.
          If all else fails, set up your own blog on this horse, document with your paper trail & photos & video & vet etc statements so that every time someone does an internet search on the breeder/seller, prospective clients get to see your story ...

(don't include any commentary on the breeder/seller, only present "facts")

Comment

Originally posted by alto View Post
            If all else fails, set up your own blog on this horse, document with your paper trail & photos & video & vet etc statements so that every time someone does an internet search on the breeder/seller, prospective clients get to see your story ...

(don't include any commentary on the breeder/seller, only present "facts")
            You have to be careful with that. One person's fact is another person's libel. I know someone threatened with a lawsuit if she didn't delete her account of a similar story. All these stories are the industry's dirty secret. So may pros know who the liars are but unless you're in the inner circle, so to speak, you have no idea. I wish there was an Angie's List for horse trainers...

Comment

Good luck with your case. I would donate her if possible or put her down. Sounds like the is something physically wrong with her.
              ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                I had a mare who would rear. Trainer thought that she had been in loco weed because she was so great on the ground and only sporadically "crazy." We found out after her death that there was a physical reason.
                I don't mean to derail, but vineyridge what was the cause?

Comment

recurrent internal abscess--chronic peritonitis. She ended up with a huge mass of scar tissue that surrounded many veins, part of her liver, and a good part of her small intestine. She never showed any symptoms other than behavior, and as the vet said when she finally entered her final stages, "Who will do a belly tap on a horse that doesn't show signs?" By then, it was too late.
                  "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                  Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

• Original Poster

Sorry to hear about that experience vineyridge, that could not have been an easy situation for you.

I agree many things are rooted in physical pain, but going back through all of my conversations with the seller, she did say the mare was quite difficult in the very beginning, like as a young foal. She did not give specific details, but honestly what foal doesn't test limits, so I left it at that. She blamed it on the fact that the mare was old and lame after the pregnancy so was not disciplining the foal as she should. Of course my eyes widened! But she concluded by saying not to worry, they nipped it right in the bud immediately and she has been perfect and wonderful since then. Sounds like most foals to me (the way it was presented anyway) but when you ad it all up hindsight becomes much more clear.

With this said, I'm doubting a physical issue. Sounds like she was a pill from day one and it's just her temperament unfortunately.

Comment

With this said, I'm doubting a physical issue. Sounds like she was a pill from day one and it's just her temperament unfortunately.

And lack of correct handling of a strong willed foal/young horse through the years, I'd bet.
                      We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
                      www.dleestudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                        Good luck with your case. I would donate her if possible or put her down. Sounds like the is something physically wrong with her.
                        I wouldn't recommend donating her to anywhere. Why put other people, esp people who are not horse savy, at risk of being injured by this horse? When you donate a hores to a program, remember that it is the non-horesy people that have to deal with the horse.
                        As for donating her to a vet school..why? What are they going to do with her if she is dangerous? They can't risk having students who can barely spell horse get hurt by her when handling her. ANd even if students dont' interact with her, staff will have to. And vet school staff are not horse experienced horse trainers, ie prob less experienced than you are. So other than them euthanizing her, there is nothing they can safely do with her either. And donating a horse to be euthanized is not a reason for donation.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by MeghanDACVA View Post
                          I wouldn't recommend donating her to anywhere. Why put other people, esp people who are not horse savy, at risk of being injured by this horse? When you donate a hores to a program, remember that it is the non-horesy people that have to deal with the horse.
                          As for donating her to a vet school..why? What are they going to do with her if she is dangerous? They can't risk having students who can barely spell horse get hurt by her when handling her. ANd even if students dont' interact with her, staff will have to. And vet school staff are not horse experienced horse trainers, ie prob less experienced than you are. So other than them euthanizing her, there is nothing they can safely do with her either. And donating a horse to be euthanized is not a reason for donation.

Just my 2 cents.
                          Huh? I think the point was to donate her so that she could be euthanized and necropsied for learning purposes given her behavior issues. Brain tumor, ovarian tumor, neurological issues... there is not a lot of funding for large sample sizes in veterinary medicine, so sometimes published case studies are what there is to go on.

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm an RVT and where I went to school we would use the donated horses for different purposes depending on student needs and temperamet. The really sweet ones who have earned a good retirement are blood donors who get a pretty nice life and plenty of attention/affection. The ones donated for behavior issues are generally used for teaching surgical procedures then euthanized on the table. There is little handling that goes on, only very experienced staff will handle her. The other option is using them in the anatomy lab.

The reason for donation to a vet school vs just euthanasia is that at least some good will come out of a very unfortunate ending. Students have to learn sometime, would you rather they have some hands on experience before they scrub in on your heart horse's surgery? It also makes all the difference in the world that these students get to dissect and study anatomy on an actual horse. We can all agree these are ideal ways of learning but we rarely give thought to where those animals come from. Having these opportunities while in school was something we were grateful for and it was never taken for granted.

Comment

• Original Poster

Good point Baxtersmom, necropsy is also a skill these students need to learn and if they see a need or if someone would like to explore the behavior from a physical standpoint I would certainly support it.

Comment

Good point Baxtersmom, necropsy is also a skill these students need to learn and if they see a need or if someone would like to explore the behavior from a physical standpoint I would certainly support it.
                                That was the only positive about my experience with my mare. The vet school did a necropsy and the students were able to see something that had not come through their doors often. They were able to learn from her.
                                "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                                Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                                  That was the only positive about my experience with my mare. The vet school did a necropsy and the students were able to see something that had not come through their doors often. They were able to learn from her.
                                  I'm glad this was the outcome for a seemingly hopeless situation. I can guarantee none of those students have forgotten the experience your choices ended up providing for them and I have no doubt they are better doctors from the exposure to such a unique case.

Comment

So sorry! I will save you my drama with horse traders and bad breeders. Just hope you nail this person!
                                    On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

My guess is that the seller no longer has the money to buy her back? This is a very difficult situation. Could the blog be talking about a different horse? Some trainers just don't get along with some horses, so you may need a lot more proof of a pre-existing issue in a lawsuit.

I have a friend that went away on a vacation, and sent her quiet, easy horse to a top event trainer. When she got back, she got an earful about her dangerous, rearing, crazy horse. So she got on, and the horse was his usual easy self. I believe that was about 5? years ago, and no one else has ever had another problem.

A similar issue happened to one of mine. I sold him as a weanling. 3 years later, his owner decided to go back to school, and sold him to a top dressage rider. She started him under saddle, and showed him, qualifying him for the BLM finals in his very first ever test. Sold to a kid for a big price, working under another top dressage rider. A few months later, he was rearing and crazy.

Much vet work and training later, they decided he had some mysterious major issue. The kid's family offered him back for $1 to the person I sold him to has a baby, and then went after the seller in court, and lost.

The original owner called me up after a few weeks, and asked if I ever saw him have a problem when I watched him go at Devon. Nope, but I did see he was miserable in his stall. It made me really sad to see him like that.

She said when she first got on, he started back pedaling and rearing, and she said she just gave him a big whack, said "uh, uh, mamma's up now, thats not gonna work for ya". He has been perfect ever since - quite a few years now.

In that case, you had 2 different Grand Prix dressage trainers - one that he was easy for, and the other that he didn't get along with at all - although I didn't see it. It may have simply been that the teenager got scared on the 4 year old, and started to hang, which made the youngster upset.

Court cases are never easy. Try to settle this in another way if possible, and do think about the fact that the seller may have already spent the money, and not be able to refund.

Comment

• Original Poster

Honestly not my problem if they spent the money, they should have thought of that before lying to me. This horse was too difficul for the breeder/owner/trainer, too difficult for another trainer, and was sent to someone else as a last effort. As stated in the blog, many had told her to give up and sell the horse, which apparently she decided to do.

Nope, not a different horse. There are pictures and all. The horse even went back to the same trainer this past winter and came home just before the sale. I was told it was a lease when she was really there for training. Obviously I can only speculate as to why she went back to that trainer less than a year later, but I've got a good hunch

I agree no one enjoys litigation. I am doing my best to work it out before we cross that bridge but time is running out.

I can understand horses not getting along under saddle with certain riders. But selling the horse as 'safe for any age child' when there is a long running history of dangerous behavior from the time she was a few days old is unethical and with the statements I have from the seller it steps over the line by anyone's standards.

Comment

Win1-I applaude you for your tough decision if you can't return the horse. It's a truly caring person that will do the right thing, and protect future riders.

I hope you do get a full refund, and the seller learns the awful thing that they did selling this horse as 'anyone can ride' and 'child safe'.
                                          You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Working...
                                          X