• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Objective (statistical) Event Reviews complete for all areas/levels!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Objective (statistical) Event Reviews complete for all areas/levels!

I've posted before about a project I was working on using results data from events to provide an objective measure difficultly. All areas and levels are now complete! http://outsidethehorsebox.com/event-reviews/ Just use the map or the toggle boxes to find the area/level you are interested in looking at.

The basic idea is that an objective way of assessing the difficulty of each event is to look at the % of competitors with jumping faults cross country and SJ and if an event has a lot more than the average for other horse trials at that level it's likely to be harder and a lot less, easier - thereby eliminating the subjective nature of reviews.

The only thing I would say is that there are some upper level events where there really weren't enough competitors to give a reliable data. For instance there are a number of intermediates with <10 starters. But this data is on the charts so everyone can see for themselves.

It's still very much a work in progress (for instance the more detailed data on dressage and time pens on each event is not up yet). I look forward to feedback and there are lots more aspects to investigate, weather, % of professional riders at an event etc etc.

Hope it's helpful!

Thoughts, anyone? I was looking at the Intermediate stats and thinking 'hmmm, I've never been to Waredaca', then saw that The Fork also looked 'easy' going by the stats!

Jennifer
    Third Charm Event Team

Comment

Why are the BNs close to me so difficult? I can confirm as a fence judge that the BN at June Plantation Field last year was a trainwreck!

Great resource. Thanks!

Comment

I think this could work if you had the same horses / riders / weather conditions with no changing skill sets etc for each of the events per area but even that would be hard as first time out in the spring is different than mid-season. I get to watch a ton of XC as my full time job is as the official photographer at 10 USEA events in Area 1. I can guarantee you the skill sets on different horse / rider combos vary hugely from weekend to weekend - event to event. I am quite familiar w most of the courses in Area 1 and feel that the stats as they are shown do not fairly represent the various courses.
        Joan Davis
        http://www.flatlandsfoto.com/
        http://flatlands-equestrian.com/

Comment

I was just going to say....this is too basic. Weather and footing play a huge part especially in my area from spring to summer to fall. Having only one rail down in a monsoon is a great feat compared to summer when the footing is fine. Each event really is individual --- this is difficult for me based only on the parameters given.
          Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
          Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

It's a great idea and I'm impressed how much work you put in! But, I don't think you can rate an events difficulty like this. Just the fact that Stuart horse trials and is 'Average', while GVH and GVRDC are 'moderately difficult' shows it's not accurate. Stuarts is a HARD course, while GVH and GVRDC are average.

Comment

OMG, this is absolutely Brilliant. I LOVE it. It's a most excellent start and I think as a community we can all help to build this into something Really great. Of course, it's an ongoing process, and it will evolve over the years but I absolutely love the platform you've set up, the graphics, the navigation, the data in the background. This is a great resource, thank you so much for putting in all the work for this. Well Done ! (I love it, by the way, can you tell ?)

Comment

Awesome!
                Big Idea Eventing

Comment

I think that this is very nicely done. Unfortunately, it suffers from something known as confounding by indication. Because horse-rider pairs are not randomly assigned to events, but choose which events to attend, that choice can confound the number of horses with penalties. For example, no well-informed green horse or rider would go to Stuart in Area 1, so you have more seasoned pairs there who are less likely to have problems XC. Unless you adjust for the number of prior successful XC completions by horse-rider pairs, the lovely graphs cannot be used to assess event difficulty. Sorry.

Comment

Welcome to the Wonderful World of 'Statistical Analysis of Horse Sports'!

As a member of the Nerd Herd that took on a similar effort with dressage scores, I say good on you for starting into this. The data can tell us all sorts of things about our chosen sports ... aspects that we may not otherwise consider or be aware of.

We heard some of the same counter arguments as those above (the footing, the weather, the judges, access to proper instruction, etc) with the dressage studies. Yes, these can all impact the ranking system. But the point of studies like this is "To Ask The Questions". The answers will lead wherever they lead, which in many cases is to more questions.

So Go For It! I look forward to studying all this in more detail ... but right now I'm going out to ride.

*star* - Data Wrangler for the Dressage Nerd Herd
                    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
                    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Comment

I think this is an AWESOME way to look at the data. Sure, there are a LOT more variables, but what an excellent start!

I imagine that if you could add the data for the last ...oh...10 years or so, you'd get a pretty darn accurate picture (barring course redesigns and such.)

Thank you for putting this together! I really enjoyed reviewing it.

Comment

As previously pointed out, the competitors at each event are self selected. Where they have a plethora of events to choose from, they will probably make decisions based on their own competence. Where there are very few events in an area, if you want to compete, you go to the ones that are offered, regardless of your own competence (particularly at the lower levels) and the quality and difficulty of the courses.

I guess what I'm saying is that where there are only four or five recognized events within a 400 miles radius, you're likely to go there even if you are a beginner rider, new to the level. And that will affect the results. Where you have oodles of choice, you will be likely to select a venue that is "appropriate" for your skills. And where you have oodles of opportunity, that will affect your skills.

Originally posted by Simkie View Post
                        I think this is an AWESOME way to look at the data. Sure, there are a LOT more variables, but what an excellent start!

I imagine that if you could add the data for the last ...oh...10 years or so, you'd get a pretty darn accurate picture (barring course redesigns and such.)

Thank you for putting this together! I really enjoyed reviewing it.
                        "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                        Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

I live in an area where there just aren't that many events...if you want to be busy during the season, you go with what's available So very little "self selection", unless you're looking for something very specific for a horse's first time out or first time moving up in the levels.

Take a look at our beginner novice offerings, for example:

http://outsidethehorsebox.com/beginn...-area-ix-2012/

Soooooooo different than area II:

http://outsidethehorsebox.com/beginn...-area-ii-2012/

Comment

• Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

Thanks very much for all of the feedback. As has been pointed out there are certainly loads of variables that have affected these results. I'm sure we could come up with even more factors that play into things. And hopefully down the track it would be possible to add more of these in. Weather and footing conditions could be straightforward to keep track of and It may even be possible to indicate the experience of riders/horses, for instance, how many were competing at that level for the first time.

What would be the next most important factors people would want to see added in? Weather, footing, prior experience of horse/rider?

The idea behind this is that it is just one piece of information for people to use in conjunction discussing events with friends, trainers, etc. If one event has 50% of starters with problems xc and another only has 10% the first is probably a tougher course than the second. Sure, competitors may self select but the more entrants the more likely that the pool of entrants will have an average representation. But the main thing is that the data is there for people to use at they like. And hopefully we can add information as time goes on.

If anyone has any thoughts on where they think the numbers aren't what they saw in action then please send me your comments! It would be great to add that in for people to see as well!

Comment

I would be curious how difficultly rating changes over the course of the season (which might be out there already--I didn't spend a ton of time digging into it.)

So for example, is an early event showing as more difficult because it's one of the first in the season and people are getting back into the swing of things, or is it truly more difficult than an event later in the season, that might be noted as easier, but it's truly the same or even harder, but riders and their horses simply just have more experience at that point?

Something as simple as a listing of all of the events on the chart sorted by date and with their difficulty rating would fill that need for me, and be interesting to look at

Comment

Originally posted by Simkie View Post
                                I would be curious how difficultly rating changes over the course of the season (which might be out there already--I didn't spend a ton of time digging into it.)

So for example, is an early event showing as more difficult because it's one of the first in the season and people are getting back into the swing of things, or is it truly more difficult than an event later in the season, that might be noted as easier, but it's truly the same or even harder, but riders and their horses simply just have more experience at that point?

Or maybe late season events have more problems because people are trying to move up?

I truly appreciate the effort being put into this. Great work.

I think perhaps the over-simplified categories -"difficult -easy -etc" stray from the mission of objectivity, because these statistics do not tell the whole story. As a friend pointed out, Windridge HT May and October vary by 24%, and it was the precisely the same course, virtually the same conditions. (and it was the late season event that had twice as many problems).

Comment

I would guess that the next stage of development might be a comments section, which coule be a lot of work with moderation, and would definitely not help the 'objective' appeal of the current presentation, but it would be a useful little information-gathering tool for the researcher. I'm picturing a scenario where one person comments that "Oh, I rode this event and it was carnage out there in Novice because of jump 5 into the water, because of all the rain the night before" ... and when the researcher reads enough of the comments, over enough events, they get a feel for the idea that "weather forecast two days prior to the event" would be a suitable next bit of data to mine. i.e. I see "Comments" or "subjective feedback" as an important part of the iterative process of building an objective picture here.

After that, I would say that ALL extra information is useful, and you should probably prioritise by picking "whatever's easiest". I would love to see a summary of competitors' prior experience for example. Is this something that you can develop an algorithm for ? Is the data easily accessible ? I would guess that it is since it's on the USEA site, but can you really do that analysis in real time ? If so, then I am bowled over by your talents and knowledge and you should go get a job in real time derivative pricing and earn a bunch of money and retire in 2017 with a nice farm and a little breeding operation.

Comment

Working...
                                  X