• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Advice on lease horse. Sriracha is pretty spicy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on lease horse. Sriracha is pretty spicy!

So, the good news is that I took some COTHers' advice and found a horse to lease (month-to-month with a buy option included) to give myself a break from the drama of shopping.

Sriracha is a 5 y/o TB/Trakehner gelding. Gorgeous mover and seemed well-trained / responsive under saddle when I tried him. Was quite mellow in a fairly stressful situation (no arena at his old house, loose horses running along side of us on three rails of the dirt field where we were riding, noises from someone loading a truck, etc.). His owner swears he is unflappable.

When he arrived at my barn, I heard rather than saw them coming down the road. He was kicking like a mad man and came off the rig drenched and sweat, whites of his eyes rolling. The owner had told me that he trailers well...um, apparently not.

He's had several days to settle in, but I quickly discovered that he has absolutely no ground manners. He acts like he's never been hand-walked in his life. No sense of a personal space "bubble" either. He's not dangerous, just very immature. He spooks at pretty much everything and is still afraid to go into one end of the turn-out.

My trainer rode him today (I've had viral bronchitis for seventeen days and am not up for it yet) and said that he was very behind the bit, like head to chest behind the bit. I'm worried because he was only a little behind the bit when I rode him and just needed some leg to engage his hind end. She also said that he spun on her several times and lacks confidence.

Any advice on addressing his ground manners? I've dealt with green beans before, but usually the issues are under saddle. I've always steered clear of the ones that are hard to manage on the ground. A tiny part of me is worried that he may have been drugged when I tried him. He seems so different now than he did then. I feel like he should have settled in within a week, but maybe that's unrealistic of me? I really was hoping this would be a fun, stress-free situation, but it seems like I have a lot more work to do with him than I had thought.

You're right, he should have settled in within the week, easily IMO. When we take a horse to show there's usually no "settling in", just get on and ride, so it should be the same when they move barns too. Granted he's getting used to a new routine/new people/situation, but again, it shouldn't be as big of a deal as it sounds. I would worry about drugging too.

I think you should get in touch with his owners, or ask your trainer to do so, and try to get the real story before you put a lot of time/money/effort into addressing anything. This is supposed to be fun, and if you are not going to have any on this horse it may be better to move on quickly without devoting a lot of resources to it. There is something to be said for a horse who can teach you, of course, but you also shouldn't be totally miserable in the process.

Just food for thought.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

Green....how often has he been off the farm he was previously at? If you were looking at OTTBs.....not having manners on the ground is also pretty typical. So this looks like a good time to learn how to teach some. It just takes consistency. I'd give it more than a week for a young green horse. Plus...Trakkenhers are a bit...different. I have an TB/trak. He is tough. Talented....but trust is a big thing with them. You need to earn it with them. Not let them walk all over you but be very clear.

In a lease situation....I doubt highly that he was drugged. What would be the point with a month to month lease. He was probably so different as he was comfortable in his surroundings (and perhaps had been in consistent work). He sounds just like a green horse....whether that is what you want to deal with or not is for you to decide.
      ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Give him more time. Some horses need more time to settle than others. My horse stayed at the same farm from a weanling to 7, so it takes him more time than other horses his age-8 (who have more exposure) to settle. My guy is pretty good on outings with other horses from his barn that he is familiar with, but on his own or at a new barn he's quite nervous and all manners and training goes out the window.

My goal for this summer is to get him out and about more on his own. Trailer to lessons, trail rides etc.

Comment

Was he on any supplements that they forgot to tell you about?

While I am normally all about wet saddle blankets for hot behavior, I finally broke down and put my hot-hot-hot mare on Quiessence because she was just so unreasonably reactive and just not learning.

HUUUUUUUUUGE difference. Night and day. She's still hot-hot-hot (which is how I like them) but it's no longer one teensy step forward and six back. I feel like she's got a brain in her head now.

Alternatively, did you change his supplements, or his grain? What sort of hay was he on before? How much turnout is he getting? What was his routine like at the old place? Take a good hard look at what's changed. MSM can sometimes make a horse nuts. A higher NSC grain can certainly cause problems. Less turnout might be an issue. Or maybe his routine is just screwed up and he's upset about it. Even something as simple as they always longed him for 5 minutes before riding and you are not can throw them off--it's not that 5 minutes is enough time to blow off steam, it's that the routine is different.

Otherwise, it's lots of repetition, consistent and FAIR handling. If a horse like this feels you're being unfair, all is lost.

Comment

Remember you don't have to MAKE this work. The bonus of this being a lease is if he doesn't settle and get with the program he can go back. Its like dating - sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't... New horses are never totally stress free, but don't feel the need to force it to work for you. Trust your gut.

Comment

Originally posted by islgrl View Post
              Remember you don't have to MAKE this work. The bonus of this being a lease is if he doesn't settle and get with the program he can go back. Its like dating - sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't... New horses are never totally stress free, but don't feel the need to force it to work for you. Trust your gut.
              I would talk with the owners and say that if he isn't settled and more like the horse you tried by the end of the month, you would like to send him home then....if you don't want to deal with what sounds like a very green and unschooled horse (oy vey. The things you describe on the ground would drive me batty).

DO be sure you haven't made any unintentional huge feeding or management changes. Be firm but fair with him on the ground. He may need to wear a chain for a few days, and you may need to carry a long whip to install some "this is how we walk. This is how we stop" manners. If he's really reactive, might be prudent to wear a helmet and gloves....just in case.

But, if you don't want to deal, then don't. You don't have to!
              Amanda

Comment

I'm not one of those "every cranky horse has ulcers" people, but if a horse went from unflappable/pleasant/well trained to walking off a trailer as a spooky nutcase with no ground manners and an unwillingness to move forward under saddle, I'd be thinking ulcers. Horses rarely make that kind of Jekyll and Hyde transition unless they were drugged or they feel like total crap.
                Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jn4jenny View Post
                  I'm not one of those "every cranky horse has ulcers" people, but if a horse went from unflappable/pleasant/well trained to walking off a trailer as a spooky nutcase with no ground manners and an unwillingness to move forward under saddle, I'd be thinking ulcers. Horses rarely make that kind of Jekyll and Hyde transition unless they were drugged or they feel like total crap.
                  I thought ulcers as well. Also....significant feed changes and turn out changes can really unsettle green horses. Hell...it unsettles some of my not so green horses.
                  ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

I agree with Yellowbritches. Be the calm, confident person he needs. He sounds insecure, green. I have a lease who was similar in the beginning. Almost identical to the behavior you described. I wore my helmet around him when I felt it was necessary, set firm, but clear boundaries, carried my whip if I needed, but I seldom needed it. Just the presence of the dressage whip was enough. He has settled, but occasionally has his moments. This has been an eight month process. But as a horse, he is fun to ride (for me at least), and was worth the work, as if I didn't have him, I wouldn't have anything to ride, period!
                    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
                    Jump Start Solutions LLC

Comment

Some horses are very quiet and calm in a familiar environment but get upset in a strange place. I disagree with the posters that say he needs more time to settle in, if you took him to a show he'd need to settle in after a few hours and then go right to work.

Ground manners you can work on but if you are paying money to lease him then I'd expect him to at least be well behaved under saddle. Buying a green horse as a project is different.
                      http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

You are in Southern Ca, right? How much turnout is he getting?

Comment

I disagree with those suggestion medical issues (drugging, ulcers) and while I suggest looking into what you changed in his management (more/less grain, turnout time, turnout buddies, etc), to me it honestly just sounds like a "farm-raised" baby who has not had a lot of exposure, and you're just rocking his world right now with everything being changed up.

Yes, in a week he should have started to settle, but he IS part Trak and they ARE known for being particularly sensitive.

There's a Dutch mare at my barn who is five, raised and handled on the same farm her entire life, and then imported. She's been here almost a month and is still not completely settled.

Of course, if the owner says he trailers well and been off property many times and is unflappable at shows, and you're looking at the exact opposite, well, then he might just not be the horse for you, no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post
                            I disagree with the posters that say he needs more time to settle in, if you took him to a show he'd need to settle in after a few hours and then go right to work.
                            While I agree with you....with a green horse this is something you often have to teach. I've only had ONE out of over 30 horses both homebred and OTTBs that didn't take significant work to teach them how to go to new places and settle. It starts with lots of little outings....going to different farms to have a lesson or even just hack around, then going to little quiet local schooling shows, then going to shows.

If this horse has NOT had that kind of ground work laid down, then no, it will take him longer to settle. He has no one consistent thing in where he is now. He very well may not be the right horse for this OP....but that is a different issue.

For the lease..most leases with green horses and an option to buy IME are free leases. If she is paying for the lease...I agree, it is a bit of different situation.

Comment

Also keep in mind that Trakehners are slow to mature. I think my Trak was at least 7 before he really knew where all four feet were! if this horse hasn't been off the farm much, I'd spend some days working him on the ground and getting him used to YOU. When you take a horse to a show, yes he has to settle right away but generally the rider is the constant and the horse takes its cues from you. This guy is in a new place with new people. Give him some more time.
                              Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                              EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                                I'd give it more than a week for a young green horse. Plus...Trakkenhers are a bit...different. I have an TB/trak. He is tough. Talented....but trust is a big thing with them. You need to earn it with them. Not let them walk all over you but be very clear.

In a lease situation....I doubt highly that he was drugged. What would be the point with a month to month lease. He was probably so different as he was comfortable in his surroundings (and perhaps had been in consistent work). He sounds just like a green horse....whether that is what you want to deal with or not is for you to decide.
                                Yes, I get the sense that he's very sweet and wants to please but is SUPER immature. He acts more like a 3 y/o than a 5 y/o. I think he was a homebred, so I doubt he left the property a lot in his formative years, and then he went straight to the owner he has now, who also hasn't taken him off the property. She kind of made it seem as if he had show miles, but the real story is that he was supposed to go to a show and had a meltdown on the way there.

Funny you mention that about trak's, because I leased one for about six months before and she had a screw loose when it came to jumping. Beautiful, safe, experienced dressage mare, but just lost her mind on course. Lol, apparently that's why she was for lease. I have to say, though, she taught me a lot about jumping.

Comment

• Original Poster

I'd give it more than a week for a young green horse. Plus...Trakkenhers are a bit...different. I have an TB/trak. He is tough. Talented....but trust is a big thing with them. You need to earn it with them. Not let them walk all over you but be very clear.

Yes, I get the sense that he's very sweet and wants to please but is SUPER immature. He acts more like a 3 y/o than a 5 y/o. I think he was a homebred, so I doubt he left the property a lot in his formative years, and then he went straight to the owner he has now, who also hasn't taken him off the property. She kind of made it seem as if he had show miles, but the real story is that he was supposed to go to a show and had a meltdown on the way there.

Funny you mention that about trak's, because I leased one for about six months before and she had a screw loose when it came to jumping. Beautiful, safe, experienced dressage mare, but just lost her mind on course. Lol, apparently that's why she was for lease. I have to say, though, she taught me a lot about jumping.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by barnworkbeatshousework View Post
                                    I agree with Yellowbritches. Be the calm, confident person he needs. He sounds insecure, green. I have a lease who was similar in the beginning. Almost identical to the behavior you described. I wore my helmet around him when I felt it was necessary, set firm, but clear boundaries, carried my whip if I needed, but I seldom needed it. Just the presence of the dressage whip was enough. He has settled, but occasionally has his moments. This has been an eight month process. But as a horse, he is fun to ride (for me at least), and was worth the work, as if I didn't have him, I wouldn't have anything to ride, period!
                                    That's very helpful. Thank you! I pulled out the old stud chain yesterday, sick of being taken advantage of, and he was MUCH better. We walked into and out of the wash rack a dozen times and by the end he was a gentleman. We walked all around the arena, full of freshly painted, brightly colored jumps, and walked over some ground poles and he got the picture...eventually. We even walked up to a tarp and with no encouragement from me he walked right over it. Woo hoo. It's weird. One moment he acts like a baby, and the next he acts like walking over a tarp fun and no big deal??? He's so different from my last horse. I'm having a hard time figuring him out.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Bogie View Post
                                      Also keep in mind that Trakehners are slow to mature. I think my Trak was at least 7 before he really knew where all four feet were! if this horse hasn't been off the farm much, I'd spend some days working him on the ground and getting him used to YOU. When you take a horse to a show, yes he has to settle right away but generally the rider is the constant and the horse takes its cues from you. This guy is in a new place with new people. Give him some more time.
                                      Okay, will do. He seems to like it when I really take charge, whereas my last horse preferred more of a dialogue. Obviously all horses need leadership, but I get the sense that this lease horse is extremely insecure. The more I tell him what's what, the more relieved he is. I'm not used to having to be so assertive, but it's good for me. At the very least, it will be a learning experience and I will be a better horsewoman for it. And, I have SOMETHING to ride!

Comment

• Original Poster

While I agree with you....with a green horse this is something you often have to teach. I've only had ONE out of over 30 horses both homebred and OTTBs that didn't take significant work to teach them how to go to new places and settle. It starts with lots of little outings....going to different farms to have a lesson or even just hack around, then going to little quiet local schooling shows, then going to shows.

If this horse has NOT had that kind of ground work laid down, then no, it will take him longer to settle. He has no one consistent thing in where he is now. He very well may not be the right horse for this OP....but that is a different issue.

For the lease..most leases with green horses and an option to buy IME are free leases. If she is paying for the lease...I agree, it is a bit of different situation.
                                        Nope, not paying anything. It's a free month-to-month lease with a $5500 buy option any time therein or at the end of one year. I wasn't totally down for a lease, but when this deal came up it was so low risk it felt right for me at this point in time.

If it does work out, I can work him for a year and see if he's suitable for my purposes and whether or not he stays sound before I shell out money for a vetting. If he doesn't work out, I have something to play with for a few months, a breather from shopping, and only stand to lose $ for hauling.

I have insurance on him and only have to pay the deductible in the event of an illness or injury. She covers the rest. Lol, too nice to pass up! Also, if he'll get with the program, I could see him being a very nice eventer. Just not sure if he has the mind for it. I jumped him when I tried him and he seemed more than willing to pop right over. Here's to hoping : )

Comment

Working...
                                        X