• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Boots for protection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boots for protection

Miss Dove is rather good at whacking herself behind and has even drawn blood as she's been figuring things out in her off the track training. I'd like to find a set of boots for her to offer some protection, as I don't think polos will really cut it. Requirements are easy on and off, not expensive, and can take a pretty good whack. And, ideally, more than two straps, as I find those are easier to put on. Dove isn't shod, but she does work in easyboot gloves. She's pretty standard, size-wise...nothing special needed in that regard.

At first I thought of the Dressage Sport Boots but I'm really not sure how much impact those can really take and when did they get to be nearly $70?!

I certainly like the price of the Smartpak Sport Boots but they *really* look like they're not beefy enough.

The price is also right on these Bar F boots and I like the coverage...does anyone know anything about those?

Or perhaps just a basic set of Nunn Finer brushing boots?

Thoughts? There are just SO many options available and I'm not sure which way to go, especially since I need to order online and can't FEEL how beefy the boots are.

I prefer the fuzzy ones for everyday. Easy on and easy to clean. I don't jump in them. I have the Smartpak ones and they are flimsy. They wouldn't take a hard knock but they are cheap and look ok. I now have the Dover ones and like them a lot. They are much more "beefy". They do take a a bit to break in because they are stiff at first. They Dover catalog usually has coupons for them. I think I got them for around $30/pair. I don't buy anything from Dover but I do like these.
    ~Run and Jump!~

Comment

I use the Dover Fuzzy Boots for everyday with Bella. I was buying a few things through Dover, so I got my last set for about $15/pair. I wash them, bleach the heck out of them (we have some rainrot issues sometimes) and even dry them. They have held up like champs. We have used and abused the heck out of them for two years and I am just now needing to get another set.

The husband has these for his *ahem* "schpeciul" gelding. For being so talented over fences, Charlie is a hot mess with his feet. My only complaint is that they are kind of hard to get tight enough. They are also starting to fray on the velcro straps. They take a serious amount of abuse. Especially since the husband isn't particularly good about cleaning up his boots, pads, etc after a ride.

Both are pretty cheap and very durable. Good luck!
      Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
      Top Shelf "Charlie"
      Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

Comment

• Original Poster

Normally I loathe ordering from Dover, with their ridiculous shipping and the way they price their stuff different all over the place, but the boots were only $25/pair if you buy two pair, and shipping was "only" $10 (I am so spoiled with Amazon Prime) so went for it. (Here's the link to the lower price for 2 offer, if anyone else is interested.)

All in for $60 makes me happy and glad to hear you both like these boots for general "let's just try not to hurt ourselves, okay?" wear

Comment

What color did you get? I have the white but now I want the brown too
          ~Run and Jump!~

Comment

• Original Poster

I went with the black

Comment

I see you already ordered yours, but in case you ever need another pair, my OTTB interferes in back while playing in turn out, and it usually ends in a pretty deep slice and some blood. I use these and they have been great. I have had mine for a year now and they are still going strong. I also use them for jumping so they get a pretty good beating. The only downside is how much his hind legs sweat in them.

Comment

You've already ordered, so I don't have much influence, but I DO like the Smartpak boots. They aren't super heavy duty, but hold up just fine to every day life. Toby can be quite fractious and can seriously wack himself in the process (I mean, we ended up on 6 weeks of stall rest and missing a fall season because he acted like an idiot one day being led to the field). Those Smartpak boots protect him just fine, both from the general knocks and bumps that come with working, and on the occasions he just can't help himself. I will even occasionally jump in them out on the xc field, and they do their job admirably (Note: these would never be my choice if he was studded).

I also have the Dover boots. I don't mind them, but they are VERY bulky in my opinion. I prefer boots a little more streamline.
                Amanda

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the additional input!

Fawkes, I've used those boots in the past, but the heat was always a bit of a bother, and in the pictures, they seem to ride a little higher and cover less of the fetlock than other boots. The price is right, though, and they hold up well! I'm sure I still have a pair or two of the fronts around here somewhere (taking several years off means my tack is ALL OVER the place and I can't put my hands on much of it!)

YB, good to know about the Smartpak version. Do you like the coverage on those? They also seems to not come down quite as far in the photos. I'll certainly keep them in mind if the Dover boots don't work for us.

Comment

FYI, next time you order-- use coupon tenoff to make the dover shipping more reasonable.
                    Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
                    you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by soloudinhere View Post
                      FYI, next time you order-- use coupon tenoff to make the dover shipping more reasonable.
                      Tried that--have to have $75 worth of stuff. Really didn't need anything else, so $60 all in, including shipping, for the two pairs of boots was about as good as it was going to get Really not to bad, since the "regular" price was $30/pair.

Thought about just going down to the store, but it's a solid 75 minutes or so from me and figured that $10 would be my gas.

Really, really, really wish we had a decent tack store here in Fort Collins. There's one, but the customer service and selection has been so incredibly and consistently terrible that I refuse to walk through the door anymore.

Comment

I've given up on having a good local tack store. We have a semi-decent one that's about an hour away from me. Next closest is the original dover store, and the NH store. So I get to pay shipping AND tax to order from either dover or smartpak. Really annoying, actually.

Dover/Smartpak are the only ones who actually have stock (as opposed to drop shippers...) so I keep buying from them so I get stuff in the same month I ordered it.
                        Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
                        you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

YB, good to know about the Smartpak version. Do you like the coverage on those? They also seems to not come down quite as far in the photos. I'll certainly keep them in mind if the Dover boots don't work for us.
                          I think they cover well. They sit up under the knee or hock joint, and go down far enough to cover the fetlock joint without massive amounts of excess. Toby is 15.3 and leggy, but not REALLY long legged. He wears mediums in the front and larges on the hind (I think).
                          Amanda

Comment

• Original Poster

Just a report back:

Got the Dover boots a few days ago and have used them a couple times now. I think they are going to work just fine for protection. They are really pretty beefy and feel like they could take a solid whack.

Only complaint is only ONE boot in each pair is labeled for size. I should have gotten different colors for front and hind. I need to get into the habit of velcroing each pair together as I take them off, otherwise I spend a solid five minutes trying to figure out which is which. Or maybe mark them with nail polish or something.

Overall, though, I'm accomplishing what I want for a nice price

Comment

Get the open front hard shell jumping boots by horze.
                              When my guys nail heads are starting to stick out he can make some nasty wounds. These are TOUGH and still look new after 6 months.
                              www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                              chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

I see you already bought boots, glad to hear that they'll work for what you want.

Out of curiosity, where does your horse interfere?

My OTTB moves close behind and often trips over his own hind feet leading to wounds below his fetlocks (usually just above the coronet band). Through that process I've become a big fan of plain old Eskadron hinds, which can take a serious licking and still look great 5 or 6 years into service, and just started using a fetlock ring in addition.

Comment

• Original Poster

Petstorejunkie, open fronts would not have worked for this horse. She needs more protection.

PNWjumper, Dove beats herself up from the coronary band to the top of the fetlock. I would not be at all surprised to see her whack herself higher (I thought about just buying ankle boots, but figured more protection = better in this case.) Whenever I've looked at her move she doesn't really travel close behind, but she is VERY green and sometimes legs go every which way, and I think that's when she knocks herself.

Or maybe she is traveling close behind when ridden and I've just not seen it. I have very little help at the barn, no mirrors and haven't gotten the chance to video a ride yet

Comment

Haha
                                    I was just putting mine on today and thought "damn why didn't they label both boots" I'm going to take a marker to them
                                    ~Run and Jump!~

Comment

Since you got black, you have two options... run one pair through the wash with bleach, it will make your elastic kind of purplish. Mine are just for schooling, so the color doesn't really matter for us. You can also get silver permanent marker. Mine are Larges all the way around (she's a beefy girl), so I forget that is a problem, lol.

You could also get some embroidery floss and just add a little line somewhere on them in red or something.

I've had mine forever and pulled them out of the dryer the other day and the velcro was flipped over and attached to the other (so the fleece is open and almost flat). Got the elastic and the fleece clean. I thought it was some weird trick of the universe, until I realized all 4 were like that. The husband put them like that, and then proceeded to look at me like I was insane when I exclaimed that I had never thought about it! (I really feel dumb sometimes)

Anyway, when you decide to run them through the wash, if you ever do, that's a super easy way to keep them from getting the velcro tangled in the fleece.

Glad you found something that you like.
                                      Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
                                      Top Shelf "Charlie"
                                      Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

Comment

For the marking issue, silver marking pen, a small piece of duct tape or (my new favorite thing) puffy t-shirt paint. I did a pair of bell boots well over a month ago and it's still all attached.

I have a pair of the SmartPak ones. Mr Mouth grabbed the velcro and tore them a bit but I fixed it with Gorilla tape. They are definitely less substantial than the Dover ones that I used on a friends horse (and hated the stiffness of) years ago.

A friend has the Horze ones that didn't fit her horse (too tall) but they look quite decent, especially for the price.
                                        The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Working...
                                        X