• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Bensmom saddle soap - the review thread (if that's okay with Bensmom)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First test was a success! I cleaned my bridle for the first time in, um, a while. I thought everyone was exaggerating about the "wipe on, wipe off" thing.... Yeah, they're not. The only part that required any effort was the inside of the hook stud loop where the bit sits. That had a thick layer of black gunk. With Lexol, I would have gone straight to the butter knife and/or toothbrush. Instead, I let the magic soap try before calling in reinforcements. Well, it took about 10 seconds of rubbing moderately (not hard, but not light). Boom, gunk gone!

I found the scent to be much more lavender than vanilla, which is fine. The scent is not strong at all. If I held the soap close to my nose, I could smell it.

I love the very minimal lather. Really sudsy soaps make me feel like I need to rinse my leather a ton. This stuff, I just wiped off the excess and it was fine. Of course, it helps to know that the soap is conditioning and I'm not going to damage the leather by leaving some soap on.

I'm thinking about buying another one to keep at the barn. Bensmom, can I request vanilla citrus again?? If you make it, I'll go through it really fast and buy more and more!
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Comment

• Yay -I just ordered some! Super excited

I just got a older CWD girth that is covered in grime and I ordered some of the soap specifically for this girth.

I will test it as soon as I get it and will do a before and after shot.

I have a feeling I have a really nice girth under all that dirt and residue!
      Barn rat for life

Comment

• So glad you guys are happy!

I've had requests for Vanilla/Citrus and Vanilla/Mint -- as well as for the confidence scent too.

I'm wondering whether I ought to do a limited time scent where I do one for a little while, or whether to stick with the basic ones? Or whether to offer custom ones for a little bit more $?

Thoughts?

Thank you!!

Libby
        I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
        Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Comment

• I think Limited Edition scents are a good idea! With custom scents, I think you're setting yourself up for a headache and people whining that their special scent isn't quite right.
          Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
          Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
          VW sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bensmom View Post
            So glad you guys are happy!

I've had requests for Vanilla/Citrus and Vanilla/Mint -- as well as for the confidence scent too.

I'm wondering whether I ought to do a limited time scent where I do one for a little while, or whether to stick with the basic ones? Or whether to offer custom ones for a little bit more $?

Thoughts?

Thank you!!

Libby
            I think Limited Edition scents would be a great Marketing tool! You know, kind of like the McD's McRib sandwich... If it is only in supply once every so often, the excitement and demand really rises. I've never actually gotten the allure of the McRib (doesn't even sound appetizing enough to try one), but apparently the majority of people do so that was my best example and I've now gotten off topic...

Your soap might be even better - people will stock up on a favorite scent if they know it might not be back for sale for another year! I'd love to order any of the three scents you just posted... in fact I've been kind of waiting for one of them to be available to place an order.

I am still REALLY loving this soap and have become an every ride tack cleaner. THANK YOU for that. My mom has been trying to instill that in me since I was a kid...
            I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."

Comment

• Darn you Bensmom!!

I had my own little OCD tack cleaning routine that I was happy with until Discobold convinced me to try your soap.

Now I have to come up with another routine because your soap is the best I've ever used!!

I was a Leather Therapy user. I would wipe down my tack with it after each ride. I did use a one step process and didn't bother wiping the tack with a damp sponge after I cleaned it because it wasn't necessary with that product.

Yesterday I tried to citrus ginger on a breastplate that looked in need of a Lederbalsam treatment. Even though this required a two step process, the tack looked and felt fantastic after I was finished! The breastplate was definitely much more supple and I can postpone the Lederbalsam for a while-so in essence, I may be saving an extra step!!

I also noticed that on the flash noseband of the bridle, the dried gunk came off much more easily than with Leather Therapy. Same for the breastplate with lots of sweat!

Your soap is an excellent product! Is there any chance you can eventually also have it available through Amazon? I get my credit card awards through Amazon and would love to buy it through them.

When will we see you on Shark Tank haha?
              http://thepitchforkchronicles.com

Comment

• How bad is it that I have never even seen shark tank?!!

I don't know anything about selling on Amazon -- I will add looking into adding that to my to-do list!

I'm thinking the limited edition might work too -- and if I did any custom, it would have to be only for a big order, I think. I can't imagine trying to get a "scent" right for what someone had expected from long distance! Hmmmm -- so many exciting possibilities! Now I just have to get home early enough to test the bit cleaner and the conditioner on my own tack! Darn day job . . .

So glad everyone is continuing to be pleasantly surprised!

Libby

Comment

• Got a question.

I'm sort of allergic to anything floral in perfume. Those scents send me into sneezing fits. I can tolerate musk scents and vanilla, but not citrus or mint. Haven't tried ginger. Lavender is definitely out.

I've been afraid to try the soap for fear of sneeze explosions.

Do y'all reckon there is a scent version that might work for me? It sounds too good not to try.

Unless the smell is integral to the quality, how about an unscented version?
                  "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                  Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

• Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                    Got a question.

I'm sort of allergic to anything floral in perfume. Those scents send me into sneezing fits. I can tolerate musk scents and vanilla, but not citrus or mint. Haven't tried ginger. Lavender is definitely out.

I've been afraid to try the soap for fear of sneeze explosions.

Do y'all reckon there is a scent version that might work for me? It sounds too good not to try.

Unless the smell is integral to the quality, how about an unscented version?
                    I really can not smell it unless I put my nose right into it. The rosemary mint is my favorite--and the more powerful scent of all of them. The citrus ginger is really not a strong sent--not floral smelling to me.
                    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

• viney -- I can make an unscented version and was planning to do that anyway. It is mild -- I've had a comment or two that it should smell more strongly, but I can't tolerate strong scents, especially when I'm hot or have a migraine, so it purposely isn't strong.
                      Last edited by Bensmom; May. 11, 2013, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• And the verdict is out!

I ADORE this soap, absolutely the best I have ever used! I used to be a Lexol/Leather Therapy kind of girl. I have tried pretty much everything out on the market. However, this is phenomenal! Minimal foaming/suds, lovely light scent, gets the deep dirt and grime off with ease and very little scrubbing, and best of all- it left my hands and my tack feeling clean and not that gross/grimy feeling!

So far I have used it on my CWD and Jaguar saddles that I used regularly. Then I decided to really put it to the test with my trainer's Tad Coffin that she has not ridden in/touched since last summer. It was filthy and moldy and this soap cleaned it right up with ease! Then today I used it on my Edgewood and my disgusting Frankenbridle that I school it. Beautiful and soft again!

Thank you, thank you, thank you Bensmom- I am a very happy customer! Highly recommend to everyone! Will be ordering more soon to keep at the barn so I can wipe my tack down everyday instead of weekly! (Also- I have tagged your Farm's FB on these pictures- please feel free to use them if you'd like!)

All saddles cleaned!
                        https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Tad Coffin before:

Tad Coffin after:

My gross bridle before and after:

Comment

• Originally posted by Reminisce View Post
                          And the verdict is out!

I ADORE this soap, absolutely the best I have ever used! I used to be a Lexol/Leather Therapy kind of girl. I have tried pretty much everything out on the market. However, this is phenomenal! Minimal foaming/suds, lovely light scent, gets the deep dirt and grime off with ease and very little scrubbing, and best of all- it left my hands and my tack feeling clean and not that gross/grimy feeling!

So far I have used it on my CWD and Jaguar saddles that I used regularly. Then I decided to really put it to the test with my trainer's Tad Coffin that she has not ridden in/touched since last summer. It was filthy and moldy and this soap cleaned it right up with ease! Then today I used it on my Edgewood and my disgusting Frankenbridle that I school it. Beautiful and soft again!
                          Your before & after shots are amazing! Tell me honestly, how long did it take to clean the nasty Tad Coffin? Was it really as easy as rubbing on and wiping off? I definitely am going to get some of this remarkable soap but am just curious

Comment

• Originally posted by TBPONY View Post
                            Your before & after shots are amazing! Tell me honestly, how long did it take to clean the nasty Tad Coffin? Was it really as easy as rubbing on and wiping off? I definitely am going to get some of this remarkable soap but am just curious
                            Thanks I'm glad you found my pictures helpful! The Tad Coffin was extremely easy to clean- literally wiped it on and wiped it off. Took me about 15-20 minutes. I let it dry and later that night followed up with some CWD leather conditioner since it was still a bit thirsty, but the soap definitely conditioned it a good bit! I did use a tooth pick around the TC buttons and on a few bits of stitching, but it did not take any elbow grease or scrubbing! This stuff is the real deal two thumbs up Bensmom!!

Comment

• Thank you for the pictures!! I can't see them at work (darn day job again!) but can't wait to see them -- I will try to open on my phone.

So, so excited that everyone is pleased! I'm going to try the conditioner myself today, and make a lot more soap tonight, so that I can fill orders. My DH and I are going to need separate kitchens!

It really messes up your soap making plans when the kitchen sink floods and you have to vacate the area for the night. I have often joked that we needed to put a kitchen in his planned man-cave, for all his big cooking ventures, but I'm thinking I may need a separate building for soap making before long!

I know I sound like a broken record, but thank you all so much -- the advice and feedback is invaluable!!

Libby

Comment

• Originally posted by Reminisce View Post
                                Thanks I'm glad you found my pictures helpful! The Tad Coffin was extremely easy to clean- literally wiped it on and wiped it off. Took me about 15-20 minutes. I let it dry and later that night followed up with some CWD leather conditioner since it was still a bit thirsty, but the soap definitely conditioned it a good bit! I did use a tooth pick around the TC buttons and on a few bits of stitching, but it did not take any elbow grease or scrubbing! This stuff is the real deal two thumbs up Bensmom!!
                                That's great news, thanks! I have a dingy old County saddle that hasn't been cleaned in several years so that will be my first project once I get the soap.

Comment

• How do I order this? We need a link posted in a prominent place.

Comment

• Originally posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
                                    How do I order this? We need a link posted in a prominent place.
                                    The links are in Bensmom's signature line

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HigherStandardsFarm

Comment

• Libby,

I just ordered some today. Can't wait!
                                      Last edited by INoMrEd; May. 8, 2013, 06:54 PM.
                                      Libby

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry

Comment

• I ordered mine today as well.

Comment

• So I am just seeing this now, do I have to read 20 pages to find out where to order? I love to clean tack and I have numerous leather cleaning products and would like to try this as well.

Never mind, I found the website and just ordered two scents, citrus ginger and rosemary mint (just like my favorite Aveda shampoo!). I can't wait to try it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X