• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

dressage warmups and excercises

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dressage warmups and excercises

just getting this out first, dressage is the bane of my existance. Anyways, I am having difficulty coming up with a good warmup for our dressage rides, and feel as if I end up rushing into the workout. what are things that you guys aim to accieve in your warmups, and what are some excercises/tips you do to get the results you want? thanks!

Walking is excellent. I force myself to give my guy at least 5 minutes of a walk on a long rein in the beginning of our rides. Helps get him loose and relaxed and I can use it to check my position. Then I gather him up and walk on contact for at least another 5 minutes (usually more like 10 minutes) doing things like halt/walk/halt, rein back, turns on the forehand/haunches, a little leg yielding (on a circle, quarter line to the track, head to the wall, tail to the wall, etc.), and lots of bendy exercises. At this point, you'll already have passed 15+ minutes, your horse will be nice and supple and warmed up, and then you can start your trot work. I just like to focus my warmups on forward, straight, supple, loose, and relaxed. This always translates to better trot and canter work.

Comment

Well, I really like what JFC suggested. That's very similar to what I do. However, my horse is not the same everyday so I need to vary the warmup a little. I always start with 5-10 min of walk and stretching. On the days he is "raring to go" i will then jump to trot on loose rein in each direction and canter in two point each direction. Then he will come back and be ready for real trot work. Other days he comes out stiff and I spend lots of time suppling him at walk and trot. I have learned the hard way there is no point in trying to get to the "meat" of the work unless he is calm, forward, and suppled. So here I might do lots of serpentines, 10 m circles at walk/trot, spiraling circles, T on haunches, etc.

Comment

So much will depend on the horse!

My warm up starts with a good bit of walking. We'll either go for a little stroll around the farm, or, if we're stuck in the ring, just walk and walk. Usually start on the buckle, but then working him in a longish-stretchy frame. Bending, leg yielding, counter bend, etc. We usually walk for 10-15 minutes....maybe a bit less if it is warm and he's been sitting in the mag/massage blanket (it definitely gets the warm up process started).

For Toby, he does best moving right into canter. We will just canter, more or less on a long rein, around the ring. I don't do much to influence him. I just sit light, maybe encourage a little bend, and, if he's being spooky or just is wound up, I may strongly suggest that he stretch down. I can usually tell when he's ready to move to trot work....some days we may gallop on a bit longer than others!

Once we move to trot work, we start long and low with lots of bending, inside and out. I'll start to get him solidly into the outside rein, do some shoulder in, usually the first few with an over bend a bit. Lots of changes of directions. Some leg yields, more shoulder in, maybe some haunches in. All while keeping a pretty long, stretchy frame. Though, as we warm up, he will come up gradually and come more into a proper working from.

We'll do some transitions next. Usually, trot-canter-trot first (with simple changes of lead), then trot-walk-trot and trot-halt-trot. Typically, after a canter transition or two, he is quite warmed up and ready for real work....my hint is when I can sit the trot and his trot snugs me into the saddle. If I can't get that, then his back is not warmed up and supple enough for me to sit, and he will let me know!

This all takes about 20-25 minutes. For dressage lessons, I usually plan for 15 minutes of solo warm up, then usually warm up with some coaching, working on some different ideas and exercises. For a dressage test, I plan for 30 minutes of warm up.
        Amanda

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you! I will deffinatly be focusing on a lot of walking and suppling throughout this gait before moving on. I'm not the most patient person, so having a few guidelines and ideas really helps me from just rushing into my workout.

Comment

A good warmup is one that's customized to your horses weaknesses, and further tweaked to the issues of the day.
            I use a checklist as I warm up to endure I'm accomplishing everything I want.
            The goal of the warmup is a forward, supple, light horse ready to follow your lead with crispness but without tension.

For example:
            I have a horse that likes to bulge his left shoulder
            Will swap behind if cantered too soon in warmup
            Has longitudinal issues
            Will hold his neck in upward canter transitions.

His warmup emphasizes
            Shoulder in to the left
            Trot canter trot transitions while low and on the outside rein
            Shoulder for transitions
            Canter transitions from lateral work.
            www.destinationconsensusequus.com
            chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

^^ Yes. Your warm up should always be focused on what you need to work on most. Does your horse listen to the half halt? If not, do 100 half halts. Is your horse sharp off your aids for transition? If not then work on that.

Do not try and fit everything in. Focus on one or two things, especially those worth x2 if you have no other agenda.
              Fillys By Vibank - 2017 Road to RRP
              https://www.youtube.com/user/jealoushe

Comment

Agree with everyone here - why not give us a total description of your horse and issues and we can all share what we think could be a good warmup for you?

I own 6 horses (one is a baby) - so the 5 that I have all have different warmups and have to do with their level, fitness, needs etc.

I have a horse that is the type that if I skip 3 days of riding, a very long warm up is basically the first ride back to consistency - meaning - if I skip 3 days, I just do a long warm up and then we work the next day.

And it depends what I am warming up for and where. There is a place I have shown twice in the last month and there is this big hill - walking this hotter horse up and down the hill a few times seem to equal like 45 minutes of what walking does for him in the arena. lol I wish I had that hill in my backyard!

Comment

I try to do the exact same type of warm ups at home as I do at show.

Unfortunately there is not great answer. Every horse needs a different type of warm up to get the desired mind and body set to dish out a stellar test. Every workout will be different according to the horses skill level.

My warm ups are usually 3/4 of my ride! Then I take a few minutes at the end of my ride to tweak my horse and work him in the more 'up', 'competition position'.
                  Then of course I walk a lot and do a lot of stretch at the end.

I had one that took a lot of lateral. 1/2 pass and working pirouettes. I do that stuff no matter what level I'm showing.
                  Training competitors always looked at me crooked for doing canter working pirouettes in warm up with Boomer. But hey, that is what got his butt up and under.

Toby used to do a LOT of square turns and counter in the canter when warming up even for BN. My warm ups were mostly canter with him.

This new guy. He wears me out. I have to first take him and walk him and then let him have a bit of a run. Then he needs to do some walk and trot poles. Then, transition after transition after transition. bleeeck. Not fun.
                  Yesterday I think I did walk, rein back, walk, trot, canter, walk, rein back, turn on the haunch, trot, canter, walk, reinback....for a dang hour.
                  He's a douche though and likes to dork around with me still. Not quite where I want his work ethic just yet. ; )

But with all of that...I do the same exact thing at the show. The horse then knows EXACTLY what to expect and where we are going.

Kind of like tacking up. They know when you start screwing in studs and putting on porters that it's almost time to run fast and jump big. : )
                  http://kaboomeventing.com/
                  http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
                  Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

Yes - very individualized. Some of the things listed here would just put my guy further to sleep before a dressage test.

In trying to tweak my warmup, I found a few very small schooling dressage shows nearby and entered for a handful of tests. I was then able to work out timing and feel in an actual show atmosphere for not a ton of money. I did get some funny looks as I hand-galloped my guy around before his afternoon test because he'd been sleeping on the trailer, but it worked!
                    life + horses
                    beljoeor.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                    X