• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

CANTER mare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CANTER mare

Unfortunately I'm in no position to have a horse outside of a lease right now, but on the off-chance that a COTH member picks this mare up, I would be ecstatic to hear how she does in the future. She is an exact (female) clone of my heart horse, who I had to sell several months ago. I get longing pangs just looking at her pictures.

Catonnier

That being said, I know next to nothing about pedigrees and picking horses off the track, so she could be atrocious to you and I just have a silly superficial attachment.

That is one of best fashionable racing pedigrees for sport that I've seen. I have to agree that I very much like her looks. Very classic distance thoroughbred conformation, plain bay, and she also reminds me very much of my late heart horse.
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/catonnier

Looks like a slight bow on her right front. I wonder if that's the leg with the chip.
    She also looks slightly tied in behind the knee in at least one of the photos. She might also be toed out on all four feet, but it's hard to tell from the photos.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Apr. 6, 2013, 08:39 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Viney: what is it in particular that you like?

Comment

Every single horse in the pedigree was very athletic and most were extremely high quality racers. The mare lines are every bit as accomplished on the track as the sires.

Starting from the Top
        Battoniere--Sire is His Majesty, and the 2nd and 3rd dams were at Paul Mellon's Rokeby. Some of the second dam's offspring raced in France, which means turfy. 3rd dam was also dam of Arts and Letters.

Mira Femme was an excellent racehorse and was a Cal. bred, Ellen Parker has made her a Reine de Course, but I'm darned if I can figure out why. Dumpty Humpty is Stardust/Hyperion and the rest of his pedigree is very nice as well. Robannier was also California bred, so we're talking Cal breeding for generations in the sire. The top side is as good old style race breeding as you can find, with the one breeding to Northern Dancer (which was done by Paul Mellon) the only concession to modernity on the top. What i like about Mellon is that his horses were bred to be more like European TBs than most Americans now breed. I put the quality of his horseflesh on a par with that of the Aga Khan where breeding is concerned. A lot of thought and planning went into his matings, and fashion was not a big consideration. He raced what he bred.

On the bottom? Damsire was a son of Our Mims, who was a truly great race mare herself, but not a great racing broodmare. She means Herbager (stamina) and Sweet Tooth, which means that she was half to Alydar. We know Alydar passed on a good jump, and Herbager is a staple line for chasers. He's also the last true stamina horse ever imported for US breeding. While I'm not particularly fond of Seattle Slew for event horses, the dam of Slewvescent makes up for that lack of fondness. Slewvescent was a race horse who never should have been a stallion, but he had the big names.

On the bottom, tail female shows the loss of the speed that was in Magic and Aspidistra. Mazurka, like those two was Tartan Farms/Nerud breeding, but she, apparently was sold for breeding, since she was unraced. Her daughter, Direwarning was bred by Caveat's owner. Caveat has an excellent sport pedigree with Cannonade (Bold Bidder), a well-proved eventing line; he won the Belmont. He has The Axe (ditto) as damsire; and his female family comes from a half sister of Rosy Legend.

What is REALLY unusual about this mare's pedigree is that both her Northern Dancer lines come in through mares. I honest don't recall ever seeing that before. My impression is that he was a stinking sire of broodmares, and it's hard to figure out WHY, since, except for his X chromosome (which his daughters would get intact) there is no genetic reason why. forgot Fanfreluche who a superior broodmare and an excellent line for sport

Reason I like it because she has so many exceptional racehorses from lines that have been equally good for sporthorses.
        Last edited by vineyridge; Apr. 7, 2013, 10:44 AM.
        "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
        Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

I LOVE the look of this little mare. The pedigree is gravy!

Comment

What a gorgeous trot! Don't know if I would buy this horse as an eventer, but as a show hunter... now were talking.

Hope someone takes a chance on the chip. She's quality mare, financially it would be worth it to remove it IMO if the knee looks good otherwise.
            Unrepentant carb eater

Comment

I've been watching Catonnier's listing for a while now. If I had any capacity for a second horse I would have gone to see her by now. There is a lot to like with this mare... And then there's that face and soft eye!

If anyone far away wants a set of eyes on her or more pictures just PM me. I'm less than an hour from GGF.

Comment

Agree beautiful mare and great mover

Comment

I noticed this mare a few weeks ago when I was surfing the Canter-CA website- VERY nice mare.

I'm probably about 2 months out from a 2nd horse for an eventer/ foxhunter and have my eye on a few of the trainer listings. If she's still available, I may need to take a trip up to the Bay area!
                  ~Living the life I imagined~

Comment

Well it's a good thing she's in CA and not in the Northeast!
                    I really, really like her.

Question: in a case like this (chip in knee), if horse IS sound, leave the chip alone? Or remove it because it will cause problems?
                    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Comment

Take a hard look at the front legs picture. I see some angular- and rotational deviations at least up to the knee.

Sigh-- I'm glad they posted those, but it's tough to put those together with a chip in the knee and promote the horse as ready for a second serious career.
                      The armchair saddler
                      Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by sophie View Post
                        Question: in a case like this (chip in knee), if horse IS sound, leave the chip alone? Or remove it because it will cause problems?
                        Depends on the rads, especially in the knee, as there are some places in the knee you simply can't get the scope. But I am in the remove it if you can camp, myself.

Horses with chips are often pretty damned sound until the are not, and once they're lame, there's not a whole hell of a lot you can do to make them sound. The chip is in there, wearing away at the cartilage, and while that is happening, the horse is often not very lame. But once the chip has worn *through* the cartilage to the bone, the horse WILL be lame and since you cannot replace that cartilage, will likely be lame for the rest of it's life.

If you can remove the chip before much damage is done to the cartilage, the horse usually has an excellent prognosis for future soundness.

The trick here is that you can't visualize the damage to the cartilage with a radiograph, so you don't really know what you're facing until you're actually in the joint, looking around with the scope, so it can be a little bit of a gamble. If the horse is currently moving sound, then that does stack the deck in your favor that the current damage is minimal.

Comment

Trying to push this one back up.

Yes, the chip is a concern...but she's had 26 starts and is still sound so I don't think that a little tying in at her knee is that big of an issue for her. It'd be great if it was known if the chip is accessible and could be removed.

She's just so good looking and currently moves so well.

Comment

Wow, really surprised to see this post!

I went and saw this cutie just over a week ago because she also looked like a twin of my last horse, who I just loved to pieces.. and she had that same sweet look in her eye.

I brought my dad along, who is definitely not a horsey person. But her trainer Jerry was just wonderful, he introduced us to all of his horses and went into great detail about how he chooses his horses and how he takes care of them.

We took Catonnier out and she happily grazed away while we talked. She was unbelievably calm. Definitely shattered any preconceptions my dad had about hot TBs!

She's had the chip in her knee for over a year and she's sound on it and she's raced the whole time on it.

I also like her bloodlines. What struck me as odd though is she has Mira Femme in her pedigree.. and my name is Mira

She is very petite though and only 15.2... so she is a little small for me. But as soon as my trainer gets back from a horse show in Woodside she's going to take a look at her and she's definitely on the top of my list of potential horses. I'm just looking for a personal horse at this point.

Comment

Anybody know which knee has the chip?

Comment

Originally posted by currycomb321 View Post
                                Anybody know which knee has the chip?
                                My guess is the left one. It looks irregular, and I noticed it before I saw she had a chip in the description.
                                Could just be the picture, though.
                                As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Comment

Even if she isn't sound, with that pedigree it'd be worth picking her up for a broodmare.

Mi, I hope this little girl works out! I really like what I see in her. Enough that I'd take a chance with that chip.
                                  "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Comment

Working...
                                  X