• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Fitness work and footing- Manicured vs Uneven

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitness work and footing- Manicured vs Uneven

I've wondered about this a little bit off and on over the years. Yesterday, while hacking with Toby, I was scouting new places to gallop him this year, to give us some more distance. I have to do that this time of year before the hay gets too high so I can spot and learn to avoid holes, big rocks, and the like. But otherwise, I've always just galloped on what I've had...usually big open fields with some roll to it, or straight up some big hill, or whatever. I won't gallop if it is super hard or super wet, but otherwise, I use what I have available.

But around here, we're lucky enough to have tracks that we can haul into, Jackie Mars' big mountain gallop, and a few other manicured options.

So, my question is, in the scheme of things, do we think it is better for a horse's soundness to "stress" them a bit on less than ideal going on their regular fitness work, or is it better to protect them with manicured footing during their regular work? I have no idea, really, either way. I know lots of sound and unsound horses in either scenario. There may not BE a right or wrong.

I know that I make conscious choices in my HACKING for Toby. I hack him a lot on our roads to help build up his soft tissue. When we hack out-out (fields and woods) I don't avoid tricky, trappy places, though I DO avoid deep, bad mud, or places that might unnerve either of us. I think both things are important to his soundness and longevity. I don't know about the galloping, though.
    Amanda

Well my opinion isn't worth two cents, but here is it. I think the corner stone to soundness in fieldhunters or eventers is trot sets including road work. Since you've already said your doing that, I think your meeting the number one priority. I think galloping on what you will (riding on is probably a good idea though. I'd utilize a manicured track when field conditions weren't suitable but not to replace the fields and hills.

Comment

I agree you should work across all types of condition within reason. All of my trot work is done on trails in the woods or across pastures.
      A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Comment

There's a difference between imperfect and bad footing. Imperfect can be fine and even preferable: my horses all walk on the roads every week to help firm soft tissue and build their base; they do trots and canters out in fields with hills and small knobs and the like; and they hack out on trails or through backroads that may be occasionally muddy/rutted/hard. But they don't trot or canter on rockhard ground, nor do they sludge through thick tendon-tearing mud if I can do anything to help it. I'm much more likely even to sub in a trot or canter set in the big outdoor ring rather than try to trot in something muddy or rock hard (luckily, most of our fields are old turf so stay pretty springy even in the summer).

Particularly for a Prelim and under horse, I just don't think you need to do enough fitness work that I'd really be worrying about hauling out to a "manicured" track. Granted, I tend to have TBs who tend to get and stay pretty fit, but all of mine spend most of their legging up work on regular fields and roads and do fine.

Comment

Given a choice...speed work more on manicured. But then there are not many horses which truly need speed work. I don't consider canter sets really speed work (if you are at 400-450 mpm).

Speed does damage so no need to increase the risk of it on uneven or even just imperfect footing if you can avoid it. My horses take enough risk on that blasting around their fields!

But slow work...absloutely needed to build up strength so should be done on roads and more uneven terrain. And I agree that there is a difference between imperfect and bad footing....bad footing is to be avoided.

And while I see fox hunters (some--not all) blast through footing that I wouldn't walk through with no harm.....no way would I be so lucky. And an injury from that takes you out for the season or good anyway so not sure I would want to increase my risk of it by doing speed work in that sort of situation. Horses do need to learn to deal with different types of conditions but some things the risk outweighs the benefit.
          ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

In work presented at the Welfare and Safety of the Race Horse, Bramlage, laid out a very good case for exercising horses on a VARIETY of surfaces to sufficiently train and condition the skeleton, tendons and ligaments. In other words, you can gallop hundreds of miles on manicured footing and never train the skeleton/tendons/ligaments to withstand galloping across a field.

Yes, uneven, crap footing should be avoided. However, to get ANY tissue growth and development, you HAVE TO DAMAGE it (catabolic functions stimulate anabolic). Thus, pounding on hard ground will help develop bone ligament and tendon to a point, but soft ground will aid muscular development.

The balance is to ALWAYS have a series of down days for the horse to heal and create new tissue or remodel the current. It is the old adage, easy days always follow hard. That is actually why having months off in the winter is very beneficial to the soundness of the horse.

To answer your question directly, it is about the full distances worked rather than the actual footing. Bramlage showed data that a work out of 35 furlongs of race and timed work outs over 2 months had a 4 times increase in stress fracture risk as compared to one that only did 25 furlongs.

Personally, I do my gallops on the same footing etc. as the XC courses. Generally, it is firm to hard. I limit the number to at most once a week.

Comment

I don't have groomed footing near me, but the footing is decent and not too deep. I would like manicured grass galloping lanes, but this is not a perfect world and I do most of my conditioning on four wheeler tracks, so sand that has been pressed down. It isn't deep, except in some small areas and even then it is relatively firm. I am lucky that I have access to miles and miles of this and a groomed sand trail in the park next door.
              I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Comment

Originally posted by RAyers View Post
                In work presented at the Welfare and Safety of the Race Horse, Bramlage, laid out a very good case for exercising horses on a VARIETY of surfaces to sufficiently train and condition the skeleton, tendons and ligaments. In other words, you can gallop hundreds of miles on manicured footing and never train the skeleton/tendons/ligaments to withstand galloping across a field.

Yes, uneven, crap footing should be avoided. However, to get ANY tissue growth and development, you HAVE TO DAMAGE it (catabolic functions stimulate anabolic). Thus, pounding on hard ground will help develop bone ligament and tendon to a point, but soft ground will aid muscular development.

The balance is to ALWAYS have a series of down days for the horse to heal and create new tissue or remodel the current. It is the old adage, easy days always follow hard. That is actually why having months off in the winter is very beneficial to the soundness of the horse.

To answer your question directly, it is about the full distances worked rather than the actual footing. Bramlage showed data that a work out of 35 furlongs of race and timed work outs over 2 months had a 4 times increase in stress fracture risk as compared to one that only did 25 furlongs.

Personally, I do my gallops on the same footing etc. as the XC courses. Generally, it is firm to hard. I limit the number to at most once a week.

I think some of this is also an individual definition of manicured. I consider most xc courses that I currently see to be on manicured footing. Yes it is grass, but often a worked track. Not extremely unlevel (in terms of ruts) and fairly well prepared. Especially when compared to the footing hunting--which can have holes, change rapidly, and basically be more unpredictable. While I do know of some eventers that go so far as to condition on an actual track...that is typically only done when the footing outside is so bad that they can not gallop on the grass...and one is hoping that there is rain before the event.

For me, it is often more of an issue to make sure I practice my dressage on unlevel footing (both rutted and sloped) as that is what I'm likely to get at a lot of events for dressage....either in the warm up or also the ring!
                ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

• Original Poster

For me, it is often more of an issue to make sure I practice my dressage on unlevel footing (both rutted and sloped) as that is what I'm likely to get at a lot of events for dressage....either in the warm up or also the ring!
                  This made me laugh! We're doing dressage on grass this weekend, so I took Toby out in the field today to do a little flatwork. Oy, I think he's forgotten how to do that. Guess where we'll be spending the week?! Thankfully, this is the first week the footing has been consistently good enough to go out there.

Interesting discussion. Seems like my gut and general way of doing things follows most of you all's thinking. Our "gallops" aren't horrible, but definitely imperfect.
                  Amanda

Comment

A thread that is full of good sense. My small contribution is that working a horse on rough ground is not necessarily about fittening the body but sorting out where the legs go, improving balance and making the horse think quicker. So both surfaces are beneficial when mixed up a bit.
                    "Good young horses are bred, but good advanced horses are trained" Sam Griffiths

Comment

RAyers beat me to it as usual. You have to stress a system to build it. And what you perceive as strengthening soft tissue is actually damaging it, then allowing it to heal stronger, that's how it works physiologically.

I make a point to work on all types of surfaces and generally AVOID manicured areas. I have no need to do galloping sets, we might have a little gallop just for fun, but otherwise, I work at all gaits on all surfaces within the parameters of safety.
                      Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                      We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Lucky enough to have a farm w/ training track right behind me. So for long format horses all speed work, steeplechase speed & learning correct speed- riding measured m/m to the 1/2 second.
                        Don't gallop set most training level & under, they get fit enough w/ just schooling/hacking & jump schools.

Comment

Reed, did the study address how much time after the stress is needed -- i.e., how many days "easy" or "off"? or hours?
                          Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
                          Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

Working...
                          X