• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can a nervous rider do this? (New and nervous!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a nervous rider do this? (New and nervous!)

How many of you would say you're nervous riders, or were nervous riders?

I've just started jumping again after many years off. I got my horse in October, planning to do dressage. He's finally come around to accepting contact and flat work (mostly, walk/trot nets us 70%+ scores, canter isn't so great!), and while he can be a stinker about flatwork, he has been VERY forgiving jumping in the ring.

Twice I've taken him out over small xc jumps. He is interested, wants to go over them, but after slams on the brakes and bounces and gets silly. Our most recent outing (yesterday) was the first time I did some flatwork out there as well, and he started the post-jump bouncing early. I tried coping by pushing him forward a few strides, then settling him or making him do a bit of flatwork before reapproaching a fence. As our ride went on, we had a large group of trail riders go trotting down the hill (their appearance wound him up), and understandably, he spooked when a few hikers popped out of the bush. But even after we had finished jumping, I could not get him to settle, and as he gets riled up, I get nervous.

I've finally mastered my nervousness in the ring (he is evasive and bouncy and sometimes bucks when it comes to canter work) and learned to just "sit in the back seat" and push, and I'm not as nervous about jumping at home now either... How do I overcome being out?

Ideally, I'd haul to the park once or twice a week to expose him to big open riding spaces and trot him over the little stuff, but I am at the mercy of others for a ride (and they are very generous as is).

I used to event alot when I was younger...and I was always nervous. But I never would acknowledge it. My horse however, was not nervous and that helped at the time.
    I quit for 15 years and started again in 2010. I am still nervous, but for some reason, I accept that as the way I am, and will even talk about it. It has helped me over come alot of it, just by accepting it.

Comment

I am nervous now, although I never used to be. I am now completely obsessed with dressage, and can almost never muster the courage to jump. I suppose my previous experiences have contributed to this... About a year ago the horse I was riding took off farther away from the jump then I thought, and I was thrown off balance. I ended up falling underneath the horse, who (although it was absolutley not his fault) proceded to step on me. I am happy with dressage, but im really trying to get over this fear so I can start jumping again...
      Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
      ~DQ wanna-be~

Comment

I am a very nervous rider, always have been. I need my horse not to be.
        To be honest, this does not sound like the best horse for you if he is a "stinker" on flatwork and gets riled up jumping.
        The best solution would be for you to be doing this on a laidback experienced packer.
        As he is your horse, that's a problem that I don't have advice for.

Comment

I did hunters for years until I got to college, took a break for 2-3 years, and have been back in the saddle for 3 years again. I used to jump 3'9 without question and now I get nervous going over 2'9! You aren't the only one. I'm going to leave the hunter world for eventing and am a nervous nelly about it but it just seems so fun and exciting. I guess the older you get the more you realize that things are scary and can hurt. Oh to be a kid again!

Comment

You're doing the right thing by making him work after the jumps. Eventually he'll figure out that jumping doesn't mean yee-ha'ing away after the jump, but more work and he'll start to listen to you much better in all stages outside. As that happens, you'll get more confidence and braver, so just keep on keepin' on!
            Was this at Campbell Valley, or Island 22?
            Are you going to take the eventing clinic at Island 22 next weekend? Both coaches there will have excellent ideas and exercises for you to keep your guy settled and boost your confidence.

Comment

You need a qualified instructor to help you focus your nerves and recognize the right and wrong things to do under saddle. Many times we think we're doing the right thing but we actually are not, especially when we are nervous.
              http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

You're working with a fantastic trainer... just keep reminding yourself that neither she nor your very experienced barn owners (who I suspect you're shipping out with) are going to let you ride something you can't actually deal with.

Best words I ever heard from a trainer - "you HAVE the skills to ride through this!". I sometimes repeat it to myself through gritted teeth, but they're right, I can deal with it...
                "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Comment

I would only trailer out with other experienced horsey friends or, ideally, your trainer. I suffer from nerves too. At the last place I rode I wasn't taking lessons (no one to teach me) and was suffering from it. I wasn't actually nervous but was being asked to ride quite challenging/green horses and knew my skills weren't up to it. Instead of getting better with every ride I felt like I was getting worse. I have since moved onto taking lessons once a week, and though its only been 2 weeks I'm already noticing a difference. I'm not dreading going to the barn or riding more difficult horses.

The thing is, if your horse is tense/nervous out of the arena he's likely reacting to YOU being tense/nervous outside. Treat jumping, even cross country, as dressage with fences in the way. If you have to circle before or stop after a fence or even stop in the middle of a line to maintain control and the horses attention, then do. Remember your horse doesn't need speed to get over a fence, he needs momentum & impulsion. He can probably jump most of the fences your aiming for at a walk. Thinking half halt before every fence helped me a lot on the horse I was riding today in my lesson.

Good luck! And to answer your question, there's no reason you shouldn't do this but make sure you have the support you need.
                  Last edited by Event4Life; Apr. 3, 2013, 07:46 AM.
                  "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                  "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

Originally posted by Ibex View Post
                    You're working with a fantastic trainer... just keep reminding yourself that neither she nor your very experienced barn owners (who I suspect you're shipping out with) are going to let you ride something you can't actually deal with.

Best words I ever heard from a trainer - "you HAVE the skills to ride through this!". I sometimes repeat it to myself through gritted teeth, but they're right, I can deal with it...
                    ^^This is great^^ - if you are already working with a great trainer that believes you have the skills and an appropriate horse, then have faith that you will work through this and eventually your horse will settle and focus on his job. It's ok to be nervous, it means you are aware, it's when the nerves paralyze you.

I am a nervous rider, and I have to remind myself I have the skills to work through it. Sometimes I forget to do this! But I have a good instructor that reminds me all the time that I am capable.

I went through a similar situation last year with one of my horses, he's green, young, athletic, and playful - I could manage through the ring work, but out in the fields, and cross country schooling with other horses was different story, he rattled me a few good times. So last Fall when it was time to make or break the relationship with this horse, I forced myself to take all of my lessons out in the fields. My instructor was there to talk me through it and reminded me to use the same tools we use in the ring to get him to focus on me...and things got better and better. And while we still have some challenges ahead, I don't feel quite as nervous about the big open fields with this horse.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that you are not alone in the nervous department. Take some lessons out in the fields with an instructor that knows your stengths and weaknesses.

Absolutely, you can do this. Good luck!

Comment

For sure get an instructor to help you! I've always been nervous. As an adult/mom it has gotten worse but riding a safe packer type has helped a lot. If the horse is not always a solid citizen, make sure you've got a good instructor to help you through any challenges that might pop up.
                      The rebel in the grey shirt

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by FatDinah View Post
                        I am a very nervous rider, always have been. I need my horse not to be.
                        To be honest, this does not sound like the best horse for you if he is a "stinker" on flatwork and gets riled up jumping.
                        The best solution would be for you to be doing this on a laidback experienced packer.
                        As he is your horse, that's a problem that I don't have advice for.
                        I should clarify -- by "stinker" I mean he's got a pony brain. Opinionated, but generally safe. Also, he thinks he's always right. Prior to me, had never worked in contact so while the trot work is there, he protests to canter. However, add in a small x rail and he'll canter lovely all around and do lovely changes, etc. He's actually got a great brain but can also be incredibly sensitive too, so he's safe with a decent challenge. He's also never done xc. He has shown that he will trot to the base, but prefers to be a bit more forward, but isn't galloping anywhere or being wild. He just wants to root for grass as soon as we land. He sees that opportunity where I'm still recovering and where he can yank me down for a quick bite! In the ring, he's as forgiving for a stadium school as a horse can be, and the dressage has come a LONG way. Prior to me owning him, he had been to ONE show. When we went to our first show to school in February, he was a nutbar. Since that show, he hacks around on a loose rein and acts like an old pro (even at the biggest show grounds here). He just needs to experience things a couple times and then he's all old-hand about it... I just need not to worry those first few times when he reacts, and need to buck up

Originally posted by fanfayre View Post
                        You're doing the right thing by making him work after the jumps. Eventually he'll figure out that jumping doesn't mean yee-ha'ing away after the jump, but more work and he'll start to listen to you much better in all stages outside. As that happens, you'll get more confidence and braver, so just keep on keepin' on!
                        Was this at Campbell Valley, or Island 22?
                        Are you going to take the eventing clinic at Island 22 next weekend? Both coaches there will have excellent ideas and exercises for you to keep your guy settled and boost your confidence.
                        Yesterday was CVP, just a couple of little ones. Today, I got a last minute to Island 22 to hack around and maybe pop over a few -- with the trainer.

I am not doing the eventing clinic -- I didn't have a ride going. I MAY still get to go to Johvale, but small chance. Instead, we're doing the 2 phase and xc schooling (with the trainer) afterwards, so it'll basically be just like doing a mini event in one day (we are doing the May MREC)

Getting to Island 22 today was great. I didn't join any of the official lessons, just hacked around to get him some mileage over the terrain and let him relax and see everything, and we did get to do a few small PE logs and benches (not much at all, we probably went over those 3 or 4 jumps 10x total, plus the water). Trainer made me work through the yank-down-bounce post-jump issue, and it was the first time she's seen him jump xc. The problem is NOT the jumps, he's eager to jump. The problem is his pony appetite, after he lands he thinks he can eat! Or if we go up a hill and we're not "working" the grass gets closer and he tries to take advantage. Little bugger

Originally posted by Ibex View Post

Thanks so much -- you know the group I'm with and I agree, nobody would let me get in over my head. The YR we both know helps me out with tips or schooling pony when I get nervous, and trainer can address his issues with one or two tips and we're back on track. Today trainer took us to Island 22 and while I only schooled a few fences but otherwise hacked, we had his naughtiness sorted out really quickly. I felt way more confident after today, and for pony, it's just the exposure to getting out and riding out more. Today we had 4 horses mounted, so if one galloped off it wasn't a big deal either. He was way more chill!

To everyone else -- thanks so much for sharing your experiences. I'm already feeling less nervous, and it is becoming less of a big deal. I am always hauling out with my trainer (who I have seen recommended here) or a talented YR, both of whom have handled me and my confidence well and have schooled the horse.

I just start to overthink when we get a little off track or something isn't perfect, but all it took was a handful of jumps with trainer's eye today, and confidence is back to being sky high (or as high as it gets!). Pony previously had limited exposure and has only done xc 3 times (all with me), and I have to remind myself that the first couple times out are new for him. He is clever and once he's done something, he generally is great. Our first schooling outing at a show 2-3 months ago was a wound up mess, we could barely trot without a few bucks. Since then, we've done schooling shows every few weekends and he acts like a season show mount. We have a starter level CT this weekend, and if it stays dry, will school xc there afterwards as well (which for me, doesn't mean a long lesson, we're good to keep it short and simple and happy). Now pony gets a well deserved day or two off!

Comment

Working...
                        X