• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Third bad pre-purchase exam. Should I give up or keep going???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Per your requests, here are some vids of him walking and trotting in turn-out. I took them yesterday, very quickly, without help. I groomed him until gleaming beforehand. He promptly rolled in mud...thrice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGVNWxoUe9w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZQ3Ej-KUIM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd1MOiycvsI

Also, I have an apponitment with my absolute favorite vet at my absolute favorite vet hospital scheduled for Tuesday. Fingers crossed. Toes crossed. Eyes crossed.

Comment

• I'm no expert, but I'm not seeing any 3/5 lameness.....

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Heinz 57 View Post
        I'm no expert, but I'm not seeing any 3/5 lameness.....
        That's what I said! And my trainer...and my barn manager...

Now that the vet pointed it out, I CAN see a dip in his hip when he takes a step, but ONLY from behind. I noted some slight blemishes (scar tissue lump / missing hair) on the pastern of his right hind. Maybe he has a mechnical issue from an old, now healed starting gate injury? Who knows, but all I can say is that none of us saw it or felt it. I know something is there, but it doesn't seem to be bothering him. I'm glad, though, that my vet has an eye for detail and a conservative approach.

Comment

• Oh he is so cute! I liked him in the picture from his ad... but I REALLY like him now after seeing him in the videos.

I can see maybe a slight 'hitch' in his step on the RH - but I was also looking for it, which I think makes a difference. He just looks a little stiff. Definitely not what I would call a 3/5 lameness, even from the little bit you got behind. But, like Heinz, I am no expert...

I think you made the right choice. To me, it looks like he just needs some TLC bodywork. Hope all goes well with the vet on Tuesday!
          I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."

Comment

• Aw, he's so cute! I really hope everything works out great for you two!!

Comment

• Jumping in here, he looks a "little" short on RH, but thats it. he is a little stiff as others said. Personally, I think if you get a good chiropractor to go over him a few times (like once a week for three weeks), you will have a whole different horse. He does not appear to have a dropped hip, it looks like his pelvis may just be slightly out of alignment (my tb came with that, a good chiro got that part of him straightened out in one visit). And he has a right lead canter. HOnestly he looks really good to me, and I think you will find that you have gotten the steal of a lifetime! He just looks like such a good boy. Good luck on your vet visit.

Like many here say tho, I personally would do some body work first, very few vets seem to be willing to recognize the benefit of it, and it is much cheaper/safer than joint injections etc.

Comment

• have you told us his breeding?

I would be 3/5 lameness if I were flexed.

I would enjoy him and never flex him!

he looks a bit like my OTTB. what is his breeding?
                A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Comment

• Originally posted by Heinz 57 View Post
                  I'm no expert, but I'm not seeing any 3/5 lameness.....
                  I'm no expert either, but I see a pretty noticeable lameness. If its that pronounced on that footing, I can definitely see why the vet might have put it at 3/5 on hard footing and with flexions.

All that said, I really like him, so I think its worth doing some diagnosis work and trying to get to the bottom of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toadie's mom View Post
                    If she's willing to let you have him for nothing, why not ask if she'd do a free lease for a couple of months. She gets free training (if you send him back), and you get time to see if he gets better, or worse. That's how I got my Petey . After bringing him home I found out he cribs, had ulcers, had a sarcoid I hadn't noticed before, and he just would not move forward I told the trainer I was going to bring him back, and he said "just give him away." Well, if you really want to "give" him away I'll just keep him. The cribbing is annoying, but I've gotten used to it, and he's only destroyed 2 plastic feeders (they've been replaced by metal ones). Sarcoid was removed 3 years ago, and hasn't returned. Ulcers are an ongoing problem, but treatable. "Forwardness" was strictly a training issue, not unsoundness.

I know, not the same as a lameness issue but if you like him that much it might be worth the risk.
                    I really, really, really like this idea!

I find it hard to believe that he could be that lame and neither your trainer or you have seen any evidence of it in the week he has been there with you? You are really not out anything but some time if you take the above advise. It may just turn out alright in the end... Buying any horse is really a big gamble, even when they start out with a perfect PPE result.

ETA: He is a beauty!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Backstage View Post
                      I'm no expert either, but I see a pretty noticeable lameness.
                      On right hind? Elsewhere? Thanks!

Comment

• I can see it on his right hind in the trot and it most definitely looks like a stifle. I could not see it in the walk. It's subtle and not with every step so I imagine his movement feels more like greenness (poor rhythm) than lameness... but it's definitely there. So sorry. If this can be rehabbed you really need to do that now. He's such a nice horse... it would only be one digital, maybe one ultrasound and you'd have a diagnosis and possibly a therapeutic strategy.

I wish I could be more positive. I seem to take stifles more seriously than everyone else here. They're complex joints and need to be looked at carefully when injured. At least you should know what's going on so you don't accidently set him up for more injury and pain. Good luck. Fingers crossed for you and this nice horse.

Comment

• Originally posted by blame_the_champagne View Post
                          On right hind? Elsewhere? Thanks!
                          Just the right hind, to me. I agree with SEPowell that it seems like the issue might be up near the stifle. That said, I had a mare who managed to fracture the head of her hock and she moved a bit like that. Get the horse to a vet and see what they find.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by SEPowell View Post
                            I can see it on his right hind in the trot and it most definitely looks like a stifle. I could not see it in the walk. It's subtle and not with every step so I imagine his movement feels more like greenness (poor rhythm) than lameness... but it's definitely there.
                            Any experience with stifle injuries? Are they more often major, minor, or 50/50? In your experience, do horses more often come back from them or more often experience permanent lameness? Googling it resulted in just about 10,000 different possibilities, hence the vet exam this Tuesday.

Comment

• Until you have diagnostics done you'll still have 10,000 answers : ) best of luck with him, stop worrying, enjoy and see what the vets at the hospital say.

ETA: Like someone else said I am now looking for a lameness but I can definitely see he is a bit stabby and not tracking up as well on that leg as well. However like I said we know nothing until you get diagnostics done. Otherwise very nice horse.

Comment

• I also noticed a shortness in his step, but I'm sure it was only because I was looking for it. It was harder to see due to the video . It probably would be easier to see if the camera focused on the whole horse not just the feet. There were a few moments where he was pictured standing still with his rump to the camera where it sorta looked like his right hip was dropped lower than his left.

I would use the cash I saved on his purchase price and get a good X-ray and ultra sound of the area just to see what's really going on instead of guessing, which will save you more time and money and stress in the long run. Then, I would definitely see the body workers (chiro/massage). He looks nice and fresh and healthy otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by blame_the_champagne View Post
                                  Any experience with stifle injuries? Are they more often major, minor, or 50/50? In your experience, do horses more often come back from them or more often experience permanent lameness? Googling it resulted in just about 10,000 different possibilities, hence the vet exam this Tuesday.
                                  I haven't owned a horse with a bad stifle but have seen it result in permanent injury. That horse was never properly layed up for his injury in the very beginning, however. Other than seeing a lot of horses at the track with sore stifles and also riding other peoples' horses, I haven't had many experiences with stifles. Sometime along the way I learned to take them very seriously.

Comment

• I really, really hope your vet finds nothing major. Seems like a really nice guy!

I'm in the "I only see something because I'm looking for it" camp. I see a little shortness in striding with the RH but that's it. What a sweet boy.
                                    If thou hast a sorrow, tell it not to the arrow, tell it to thy saddlebow, and ride on, singing. -- King Alfred the Great

Comment

• I also see something wonky in the right hind- it isn't shortness per se, just a different way of moving the leg (maybe he swings it out a little bit?). Looks up high to me- sacrum, hip, stifle. The good news is that he's doing lovely clean flying changes both directions, which IME, horses who have something very wrong with them don't do.

Honestly, he's really lovely otherwise, and I'd also start with a good chiro/body worker. From personal experiences on both my horses and myself, they can do wonders releasing areas that are "locked up."

I've had a couple of horses with minor stifle issues (like I said, I don't expect this guy has anything major going on based on his changes, which both of my stifle-y horses had problems with). They are pretty manageable, either through hill-work, joint injections and/or estrone therapy. But really, start with the chiro/body work and go from there.

I'd also like to say that for a free to $2k horse, it is kind of crazy to expect a truly clean vetting *and* a sane/trainable horse. In that rock-bottom price range, you generally need to figure out what you can live with and are willing to manage for issues. I see it over and over, people spending a gazillion dollars on multiple pre-purchases until they've spent their entire horse budget, looking for perfection. No horse is perfect, and digital rads make it a thousand times easier to find potential issues. There are definite deal-breakers (i.e. OCD on a weight-bearing joint surface), but for a nice horse with a good brain, other stuff like iffy hock rads are totally manageable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Backstage View Post
                                        I'm no expert either, but I see a pretty noticeable lameness. If its that pronounced on that footing, I can definitely see why the vet might have put it at 3/5 on hard footing and with flexions.

All that said, I really like him, so I think its worth doing some diagnosis work and trying to get to the bottom of it.

I didn't say I didn't see ANYTHING just nothing that I would expect MY vet to call a 3 based on the few seconds of trotting you can see here and there.

Comment

• I wouldn't put this horse as a three though. The way he switched leads at the canter and halted from either canter lead isn't something a lame horse does. Well let me back track and say I've never seen a really sore horse canter, change leads and stop like this guy. My mare had her right rear splint bone shattered by another horse kicking her. After she healed you always knew when it was starting to bother her because she stopped totally with her front end and would not pick up the left canter lead.

I think you got a lovely, lovely horse!!!
                                          Hillary Rodham Clinton - the peoples choice for president.

Comment

Working...
                                          X