• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Third bad pre-purchase exam. Should I give up or keep going???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a short article that explains what IRAP is:

http://www.goldcoastequineclinic.com...d=77&Itemid=75

A short segment of the article:

IRAP is a system that has been developed to stimulate white blood cells to produce anti-inflammatory mediators and enzymes to reduce the inflammatory phase of joint disease. Blood is taken from the jugular vein and incubated for 24 hours in special syringes which induce the blood cells to produce and secrete therapeutic proteins during the incubation period. After 24 hours the blood is centrifuged and all blood cells are removed. This leaves a protein rich serum which is then split into 3ml doses ready for injection into the diseased joint.

Comment

• Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
      According to an article I read, HA is contraindicated for soft tissue injuries. If you're going to treat an undiagnosed lameness, IRAP might well be the better choice.
      That seems like a discussion she should be having with the vet, considering that there are about a hundred different ways to treat stifle "issues" depending on what the vet thinks the issue actually is.

Injecting Legend (aka hyaluronic acid or HA) and a steroid into the stifle joint is pretty standard treatment for suspected joint issues (i.e. arthritic changes); been there, done that, made a HUGE difference for one particular horse.

IRAP is very expensive compared to conventional joint injections (~$200 for a single HA injection, vs IRAP at ~$1500) and doesn't always produce the consistent results that HA/steroid does. IRAP is a very pricey route to use as an experiment for something other than a clear-cut issue where it has a proven benefit.

Comment

• From what I read, the problem with HA is that it actually does something to retard cell growth. Great for diagnosed arthritis, but it hinders repairs of soft tissue. That's why diagnosis is important before treatment.

Originally posted by wanderlust View Post
        That seems like a discussion she should be having with the vet, considering that there are about a hundred different ways to treat stifle "issues" depending on what the vet thinks the issue actually is.

Injecting Legend (aka hyaluronic acid or HA) and a steroid into the stifle joint is pretty standard treatment for suspected joint issues (i.e. arthritic changes) been there, done that, made a HUGE difference for one particular horse.

IRAP is very expensive compared to conventional joint injections (~$200 for a single HA injection, vs IRAP at ~$1500) and doesn't always produce the consistent results that HA/steroid does. IRAP is a very pricey route to use as an experiment for something other than a clear-cut issue where it has a proven benefit.
        "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
        Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

• Why not just try Pentosan w/Cosequin? It really does work!
          www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
          Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
          with world class pedigrees and sport suitability

Comment

• Interesting thread. OP, I haven't been following your journey, but it sounds like you've had quite a rough time.

What I find interesting is how the responses figure that "gambling" has something to do with it. All of Life is a Gamble. You never know how things are going to turn out. And that is about as much of a guarantee as you will ever find.

I'm with the camp that never did a PPE. "Back in the Day" they weren't as common -- people just looked at the horse, rode it, and said "yea or nay".

So I can't give you the answer, but here are some thoughts:

1. If you keep him, you will be responsible for him. I'm sure you know that, but it's important to see if you can bear that burden for as long as it takes. It doesn't sound like he's got a great deal waiting for him at home, so there is that aspect to consider.

2. Are you using the same vet for all these horses? Because of the risk of law suits, vets usually find SOMETHING wrong with a horse...any horse.

3. One poster said you can get enough rads to tell the story for under $300 -- I agree. I don't know his age, but if he's OTTB over the age of 6 I would expect to find some arthritis here & there -- those horses start young and are worked pretty hard. But arthritis is treatable and just about every horse will develop it somewhere at sometime. But (to me) this mostly falls under the heading of "maintenance issues."

4. If you decide to send him back, you need to change your methods from now on. Like others have suggested, stay away from OTTBs or become more lenient in your standards. Learn from your vet the proper steps for a flexion test (they aren't brain surgery...just flex for 30 secs and move the horse forward immediately at a brisk trot). While it takes an educated eye to spot the more subtle cues, I would think everyone would see a 3/5. And ALWAYS watch a horse go towards you, away from you and in a circle both ways. ALWAYS use a firm surface and (if possible) a deep surface. But a firm surface for sure.

In other words learn how to do this stuff yourself; it's part of being a real horsemen/woman. I think that's why so many of us "oldies" didn't do alot of PPEs...you are perfectly capable of feeling legs, checking hoofs, looking at eyes, taking a temp, looking at teeth. If you are still fairly new to horses, surround yourself with non-paying horse people who can do it for you and teach you.. But you need to be able to recognize lameness yourself, especially when it's 3/5.

Unless the horse is drugged, you shouldn't need a bunch of rads to see if a horse is sound or not, and think how much $$$ you will save!

Lastly VIDEO TAPE the exam -- the gaiting part. EVERYONE has camcorders one their phone these days -- get video of the horse moving. You can replay it in slo-mo or show it to some of your more experienced horse friends before you make up your mind for sure. Sometimes it's really tough to spot things the first time the horse gaits. And if you get a profound result (like 3/5), ALWAYS repeat after letting the horse be for 5-10 mins.

It seems to be more common these days to look for an "expert" (trainer, vet,) to guarantee a horse will be a certain way...but that just isn't correct. I've gotten plenty of wrong advice from pros. Not BAD -- just wrong! As in, the future did not turn out the way they predicted it would.

As many posters have pointed out, there are a million and one ways for a horse to go bad, and chances are great you will have to deal with them. Again, I have to tell you that by shopping from a group of young, heavily used horses, you are raising the chance of certain conditions (like arthritis) existing. But having arthritis and being lame are not always together.

Again, I can't tell you what to do with this horse now...I wish you the best of luck with him.

But if he DOES go back and you decide to soldier on, change your horse shopping tactics and use the $$ on the HORSE, not on the vet .

Comment

• Very well said and some good points brought up, Kyzteke .

Comment

• Based on the video clips, it looks like it could be a mild stifle problem. That being said, that's not career ending or necessarily even limiting. My off the track horse moves similarly behind, and went through Prelim eventing and Third Level dressage. I think you've gotten some good advice here from what I've read; if he's just coming back into work, definitely give him some time to develop the right muscles, which will really help the stifle. I think offering the current owner a free lease option is a very reasonable and realistic offer; it gives you time to see what a couple months of work gives you and gives you an out if it turns out he's not going to do what you want. He looks like a nice horse, so I think it would be worth it to give him a chance.

Comment

• [QUOTE=KellyS;6904665]Have you considered buying a young horse (versus an OTTB) that you bring along with the help of a professional?

When I went to replace my heart horse who had died, I struggled between getting an OTTB (because I'd ridden many, loved them, and my heart horse had been one) and getting a youngster.

I thought I was crazy when I bought a weanling!

This isn't THAT crazy an idea. As a breeder, I can tell you that youngsters are very cheap right now. And many of them are of excellent quality. I can say this because she is gone now, but I just sold a registered, inspected WB/TB yearling filly, who won her foal inspection, finished third in the NATION for her registry, is by an approved TB stallion and o/o a Weltmeyer daughter -- AND she was a palomino (Well, she still IS a palomino...but you know what I'm saying...)and for not much more than the OP's original horse-buying budget...AND turns out she is in the next state over!

Of course, as I said before, there are no guarantees anywhere. That perfect sound yearling or 2 yr old can put it's foot in a hole and break a leg tomorrow. The risk is ALWAYS going to be there -- period.

But in terms of getting a bigger bang for your buck, these days buying a youngster is usually a good deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by blame_the_champagne View Post
                    None of us trotted him up on hard ground or analyzed from behind the way the vet did.
                    Keep looking, and do this with horses BEFORE you pay to have the vet out.

When I go look at horses I'll video them trotting out and back and show the video to my trainer. She's also caught some lameness issues on horses' sales videos that I missed, and showed me things to look for. And I listened to the vet as she evaluated the first horse I had fail vet check last summer, and made notes to self of things to notice when going to look at horses.

Hind end lameness can be difficult to see with an uneducated eye. I had a horse a few years back that injured a hip and watching him move has taught me a lot about what to look for. There is much more to lameness than head-bobbing.

I had two horses fail vet in the last year, one of the exams was $1,300 because I really really liked that horse and wanted to be very sure before walking away, and the first couple of issues we found were minor but we kept finding more, it ended up being more than I was comfortable with for a horse that age.

Horse shopping is tough. Just remember the initial purchase price is the least expensive part of horse ownership and if you don't have property to turn a horse out if it doesn't hold up then you are stuck with vet bills and worst case paying board on a lame horse and not able to ride unless you can afford another board bill.

Comment

• Originally posted by hb View Post
                      Keep looking, and do this with horses BEFORE you pay to have the vet out.

When I go look at horses I'll video them trotting out and back and show the video to my trainer. She's also caught some lameness issues on horses' sales videos that I missed, and showed me things to look for. And I listened to the vet as she evaluated the first horse I had fail vet check last summer, and made notes to self of things to notice when going to look at horses.

Hind end lameness can be difficult to see with an uneducated eye. I had a horse a few years back that injured a hip and watching him move has taught me a lot about what to look for. There is much more to lameness than head-bobbing.

I had two horses fail vet in the last year, one of the exams was $1,300 because I really really liked that horse and wanted to be very sure before walking away, and the first couple of issues we found were minor but we kept finding more, it ended up being more than I was comfortable with for a horse that age.

Horse shopping is tough. Just remember the initial purchase price is the least expensive part of horse ownership and if you don't have property to turn a horse out if it doesn't hold up then you are stuck with vet bills and worst case paying board on a lame horse and not able to ride unless you can afford another board bill.
                      ^^^This!!
                      I did 8 pre purchase exams. I didn't purchase any of these horses. I can't count the number of videos we watched and as much as I liked the horse I was told no, walk away. I wasn't looking for perfection but at least something I could work with and that would meet my riding goals. Good Luck.

Comment

• OP - if it makes you feel any better, I have bought three TBs, and all of them had issues when I bought them, and they all turned out fine. Your guy sounds super, so I hope all turns out well for you!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Kyzteke View Post
                          In other words learn how to do this stuff yourself; it's part of being a real horsemen/woman. I think that's why so many of us "oldies" didn't do alot of PPEs...you are perfectly capable of feeling legs, checking hoofs, looking at eyes, taking a temp, looking at teeth. If you are still fairly new to horses, surround yourself with non-paying horse people who can do it for you and teach you.. But you need to be able to recognize lameness yourself, especially when it's 3/5.
                          Thanks for the advice, although I have a couple points of contention. First off, he is not a heavily used horse. He raced twice, never placed, and retired sound due to the financial issues of the seller. He has been sitting around for two years doing nothing but the euro-cizer. I thought this was a fairly low-risk vetting.

Also, I do feel legs, check hooves, look at eyes, feel teeth, ride, lounge on hard ground, analyze video, send it to all my horsey friends, etc. Only then do I progress to a vetting.

The first horse had moderate arthritis. I expected some arthritis, but the vet felt it made him unsuitable for jumping. I don't know how you can see arthritis when the horse currently moves sound unless you do radiographs? I agree, though, that I should learn to flex. I would have flexed him, though, seen an issue, and then wanted rads to confirm what kind of issue we were dealing with anyways. I think I would have wound up in the same place. The second horse had pedal ostitis. There is no way to see that without rads either. I know that I am shopping in a higher risk category (due to my budget constraints that's simply what's available in my area), but I really think I'm going about it sensibly. It's not like I see one pic of a pretty OTTB online and shell out hundreds for a vetting. I am doing as much homework as possible beforehand.

Comment

• Isn't your vet appt today? Crossing my fingers for you!
                            If thou hast a sorrow, tell it not to the arrow, tell it to thy saddlebow, and ride on, singing. -- King Alfred the Great

Comment

• Original Poster

Did a comprehensive lameness exam at our equine hospital and found "severe/chronic sacroiliac pain." It has lead to muscle atrophy and attendant dropped hip. Vet said this was an "unacceptable risk" in a potential purchase and that the likelihood of recovery when caught in the acute phase is good, but that his injury has been left untreated for so long that he thinks there is now less a 25% chance of future soundness and that we wouldn't even know that until six months from now (I pay board) and injections, which may or may not work. Awesome.

Comment

Did a comprehensive lameness exam at our equine hospital and found "severe/chronic sacroiliac pain." It has lead to muscle atrophy and attendant dropped hip. Vet said this was an "unacceptable risk" in a potential purchase and that the likelihood of recovery when caught in the acute phase is good, but that his injury has been left untreated for so long that he thinks there is now less a 25% chance of future soundness and that we wouldn't even know that until six months from now (I pay board) and injections, which may or may not work. Awesome.
                                DAMN I am so sorry. He must be an amazingly big hearted horse to be doing as well as he's doing with that going on. I wonder how much a good chiro, body worker, and injections could do for him??? Poor OP. I wish you did not have to pay board - that really makes a difference.
                                Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Comment

I am so sorry OP. I've been following your thread hoping that things would turn out well. It's tough when you don't have your own place to take on the additional rehab expenses especially when you don't know if the treatment is going to work.

Maybe take a step back from actively looking for a new horse. You never know what can pop up.

Comment

• I am so sorry.
                                    Originally posted by HuntrJumpr
                                    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

Comment

• Oh no, so sorry it didn't work out.
                                      Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                                      EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

• Well, I wouldn't blame you if you gave up, but I wonder if a course of Legend and some chiro would be worth your time and money? My guy had SI pain that took a while to diagnose (18 months or more) so it had reached the "chronic" stage, but chiro and an SI injection have him doing really, really well. One thing that led me to trying the SI injection was that he really showed remarkable improvement for a few days after a Legend injection (like, different horse improvement). Might tell you whether it would be worth hanging in there with this guy.

Comment

• Oh, dear. I'm sorry. Back to the drawing board... have you thought about looking for a lease or part-lease, maybe? Something you could just go out and compete on this season while you build a little bit of a budget cushion?

Comment

Working...
                                          X