• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

My new "lightbulb" moment put into action... lots of pics and videos.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My new "lightbulb" moment put into action... lots of pics and videos.

    I went XC schooling yesterday at the show location (show is November 9th). We had fun... both of us came back tired but happy (we schooled for about 3 hours) and I'm really sore today. After the clinic I attended on Monday, I've been working on my position. Now, you can't build Rome in a day, but I think I'm getting better... but still have alot of work to do.

    I still need to push my lower leg forward a bit more... and more often. And close my hip angle some more.

    Here are all the pics:
    http://kentuckyrider.com/Gallery/10-18-08-FC-School

    But to break down a few:
    http://kentuckyrider.com/Gallery/10-...chool/IMG_1899
    (I'm still jumping ahead and my lower leg slipped back, but this is better. And I'm looking ahead!)
    http://kentuckyrider.com/Gallery/10-...chool/IMG_1902
    http://kentuckyrider.com/Gallery/10-...chool/IMG_1903
    (I like these... I look more centered and my leg is forward, I'm sitting lightly in the saddle and I'm sitting up w/ my shoulders back and better hand position)
    http://kentuckyrider.com/Gallery/10-...chool/IMG_1920
    (again, this one is better than what I used to do... but still need to close my hip angle more and push my lower leg forward... still an improvement)
    http://kentuckyrider.com/Gallery/10-...chool/IMG_1937
    (I like this shot as it shows me pushing my lower leg forward, scooting my butt back and closing my hip angle)
    http://kentuckyrider.com/Gallery/10-...chool/IMG_2043
    http://kentuckyrider.com/Gallery/10-...chool/IMG_2044
    (These two are just cheesy.... LOL Our first time doing water... if you watch the video clips... it was a battle!)
    http://kentuckyrider.com/Gallery/10-...chool/IMG_2070
    (handsome boy)

    Okay... now on to the video clips:

    Here are all the clips... they are under 10.18.08 FC School (1-16):
    http://www.youtube.com/user/lsm1212

    Now to break down a few again:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEnLFpLU1VE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oon5_Avm8-k
    (I like these two as my lower leg stayed still)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlMsu2DdH-s
    (Not as good... the first jump took me by surprise... was a bit higher than I thought... but still better in my eyes)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq8h7oq3m90
    (Better but over a smaller log)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDzAj0P7MTA
    (Again, better... over a coop)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPf-NUB9vIQ
    (walking up the bank)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb-Dt1Cagdo
    (3 jumps together.... better but still need work)

    These are the water complex. We've never done water before and I knew Stitch HATES water. It's hard just to get him to go through a puddle in the arena:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWyfC7fHosU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agfi_4VLFlI
    (Nope Mom.. just ain't gonna do it)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7XRJ9SPiyM
    (Trainer hand walked him in, then got on and walked around)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7oHxZ3TVqo
    (Throwing a hissy fit with Trainer, but since she's more experienced than I am... he finally went in... Good boy)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPqv_TUsK3k
    (Still with Trainer... thought if he spooked at the bush, that would get her to leave him alone! LOL But he went in without issue)

    I got on him after the last water clip... and he went in for me w/o problems.

    So.... there you go. Feel free to comment, etc. Again, I know I still have alot to work on but at least looking at these, I have hope that I can fix my issues!

    PS - Just for reference, here are some pics from August:
    http://kentuckyrider.com/Gallery/08-...-Show/IMG_1826
    http://kentuckyrider.com/Gallery/08-...-Show/IMG_1825
    http://kentuckyrider.com/Gallery/Pro-Pics/SS80589D
    http://kentuckyrider.com/Gallery/Pro-Pics/SS80519B

    Thanks!

  • #2
    Looks like you were having a great time. Who did you clinic with that aided in this lightbulb moment?

    Comment

    • Original Poster

      #3
      Originally posted by Crazy Eventer View Post
      Looks like you were having a great time. Who did you clinic with that aided in this lightbulb moment?
      http://chronicleforums.com/Forum/sho...d.php?t=171291

      Comment

      • Original Poster

        #4
        No comments???

        Comment


        • #5
          Well, I think you've come a long, long way. You are OUTSIDE, Stitch has made a recovery from that vexing injury that ate up a whole year, and the two of you are having fun. What more could you ask for?
          Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
          Incredible Invisible

          Comment


          • #6
            The improvement compared to Aug is amazing! Not just on the leg but it looks like securing it has helped you wait a bit more with your upper body.

            Has anybody ever suggested you shorten your stirrups a hole or two to get a little more bend in the knee? I like to see about 90° when sitting.

            Comment

            • Original Poster

              #7
              Originally posted by ReSomething View Post
              Well, I think you've come a long, long way. You are OUTSIDE, Stitch has made a recovery from that vexing injury that ate up a whole year, and the two of you are having fun. What more could you ask for?
              Very true... And you can see, Stitch LOVES doing this. And I'm figuring it out... slowly but surely.

              Originally posted by subk View Post
              The improvement compared to Aug is amazing! Not just on the leg but it looks like securing it has helped you wait a bit more with your upper body.

              Has anybody ever suggested you shorten your stirrups a hole or two to get a little more bend in the knee? I like to see about 90° when sitting.
              I would like to shorten them a little bit more but my Orthopedic doctor (who rides also) has told me for my knee issues (I get them injected, unfortunately) to keep them slightly lower as not to bend my knee (especially the left one) too much. Puts too much strain on it. They are actually about 2 holes shorter than I used to ride in. I've been trying to slowly put them up as I can tolerate it. I'm going to try and put them up one more hole this week and see how it goes.

              But I have been told, because I'm only doing the "little" stuff... that the length is okay.

              I can definately feel and see the difference of fixing my lower leg... it seems all the other things fall into place once I do that (closing my hip angle, scooting my butt back, etc). And I felt a TON more secure than in the past.

              Thanks!
              Last edited by LSM1212; Oct. 19, 2008, 08:55 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                well your getting there and big improvment but as there always a but

                boot him up on his hinds as well as his fronts for x/c and any jumping up to you if you have fet lock boots or hind leg jumping boots
                i like the calrendon ones
                always protect all legs and not just the front legs when jumping

                Comment


                • #9
                  The school looks like fun! In regards to the knee angle/torque thing. I highly suggest you try a pair of the MDC Ultimate stirrups. The ones with both the flex and the moveable eye. They have made all the difference in the world to me and my arthritic knees. I find that the moveable eye lets me get rid of the torque that was causing me pain when riding in jumping length stirrups. They are pricey, but you won't regret it!
                  http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/MarnieCollett

                  "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."-Aristotle

                  Comment

                  • Original Poster

                    #10
                    Originally posted by goeslikestink View Post
                    well your getting there and big improvment but as there always a but

                    boot him up on his hinds as well as his fronts for x/c and any jumping up to you if you have fet lock boots or hind leg jumping boots
                    i like the calrendon ones
                    always protect all legs and not just the front legs when jumping
                    Thanks... I do have the hind boot version too (these are Woof boots). He isn't real thrilled about wearing boots to begin with (we came from Hunters where he never wore boots). If he "knocks" at all it's always in the front hence why I do put the front ones on even though he protests. If and when we start doing bigger... I'll put the hind ones on.

                    Originally posted by badawg View Post
                    The school looks like fun! In regards to the knee angle/torque thing. I highly suggest you try a pair of the MDC Ultimate stirrups. The ones with both the flex and the moveable eye. They have made all the difference in the world to me and my arthritic knees. I find that the moveable eye lets me get rid of the torque that was causing me pain when riding in jumping length stirrups. They are pricey, but you won't regret it!
                    Wowzer... you weren't kidding about the price ($200). I do use the jointed ones already (Dover knock offs). They do help verses the regular ones. Maybe I'll put them on my Christmas wish list?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm so effin' proud of you!!

                      At this point, I'm tempted to say "who gives a damn" about your leg - you're jumping XC!!! Alas, I know it's important to you. Just keep on practicing and it will get more solid. In some of your video, it looks like you need to get more weight in your heels. You get up on your toes just a tad which then pitches you forward.

                      I jump ahead hopelessly too, but what one trainer told me (a def. "lightbulb" moment for me) was to think about your heels going over the fence before anything else. This achieved me keeping my heels down and waiting.

                      We're both long-legged gals, and even in my short stirrups a good portion of my leg is below the apex of my horse's barrel. The result is that the area of contact is diminished. If I had a more slab-sided horse it would be easier. So I have to work twice as hard to have a tight leg and stay balanced. I suspect this could be an issue for you too. Everyone thinks it's great to be tall, but in jumping I think you can be too tall and leggy.

                      So nice to Stitch in a running martingale - he looks like an eventer!!! ;-)

                      Comment

                      • Original Poster

                        #12
                        Originally posted by BigMick View Post
                        I'm so effin' proud of you!!

                        At this point, I'm tempted to say "who gives a damn" about your leg - you're jumping XC!!! Alas, I know it's important to you. Just keep on practicing and it will get more solid. In some of your video, it looks like you need to get more weight in your heels. You get up on your toes just a tad which then pitches you forward.
                        Thanks BigMick.... you of all people know what an accomplishment this is. Remember the days when I hesitantly followed you in the turn out field? I'm trying not to obsess about my lower leg... but now that I know what it feels like to have it more forward (along w/ scooting my butt back and closing my hip angle more) and how much more secure I felt... I'd like to keep it that way! Makes me more brave. Heck, I might even try BN next year. But I know Rome wasn't built in a day... so I'll keep chugging along.

                        Originally posted by BigMick View Post
                        I jump ahead hopelessly too, but what one trainer told me (a def. "lightbulb" moment for me) was to think about your heels going over the fence before anything else. This achieved me keeping my heels down and waiting.
                        Weight more in my heels... check. Great visual BTW... thanks. Heels first.

                        Originally posted by BigMick View Post
                        We're both long-legged gals, and even in my short stirrups a good portion of my leg is below the apex of my horse's barrel. The result is that the area of contact is diminished. If I had a more slab-sided horse it would be easier. So I have to work twice as hard to have a tight leg and stay balanced. I suspect this could be an issue for you too. Everyone thinks it's great to be tall, but in jumping I think you can be too tall and leggy.
                        Yep.. it would help if he were taller/wider or I was shorter. I do feel that part of the reason my leg goes back so much is that I'm "searching" for him and trying to find that contact. But I've been trying really hard to stop that habit. As long as he's more forward, I don't do it as much. So we've been working hard on that... ie. Go forward, damn it!

                        Originally posted by BigMick View Post
                        So nice to Stitch in a running martingale - he looks like an eventer!!! ;-)
                        Ya think? I agree he looks very handsome in his new Eventer gear. I keep saying to Lynn, "He's a Hunter, remember." And she replies, "Nah... he's going to make a great Eventer". I then retort, "He's going to do both!"

                        Done any riding lately? Is Andrea doing Octoberfest? I saw the forecast... doesn't look good.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You guys look so much better...and look at you out of the arena. Big props for that.

                          You're right, your lower leg does look a ton better....BUT, you need to continue working on getting weight into your heels. You are very grippy with your knees and stop all your weight there. It's what causes the drastic swing of August and the general appearance of looseness even in the much improved current videos. It probably also makes you feel very insecure. If Stitch stumbled or decided to spook on landing, you'd be toast.

                          I'm glad to hear 'booty back' is finally making sense. I seem to remember a thread or two from quite some time back recommending you stick your booty out the back door, but sometimes it takes a clinician to give you the lightbulb moment.

                          Keep up the good work.
                          Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
                          Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

                          Comment

                          • Original Poster

                            #14
                            Originally posted by RugBug View Post
                            You guys look so much better...and look at you out of the arena. Big props for that.

                            You're right, your lower leg does look a ton better....BUT, you need to continue working on getting weight into your heels. You are very grippy with your knees and stop all your weight there. It's what causes the drastic swing of August and the general appearance of looseness even in the much improved current videos. It probably also makes you feel very insecure. If Stitch stumbled or decided to spook on landing, you'd be toast.

                            I'm glad to hear 'booty back' is finally making sense. I seem to remember a thread or two from quite some time back recommending you stick your booty out the back door, but sometimes it takes a clinician to give you the lightbulb moment.

                            Keep up the good work.
                            Thanks... yep, we're out of the arena. And having fun! This is definately something I'm going to work on this winter. I just did the clinic a week ago and then rode 2 times before this schooling. So, for me to see and feel a difference, in just a few rides.. imagine how good I'll be after a few months! *snicker snicker*

                            I've heard booty back so many times... but it just wasn't registering. And I can't explain what the clinician did or how she said these things or if my brain was just ready to hear it... on why all of a sudden I just got it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by LSM1212 View Post
                              Done any riding lately? Is Andrea doing Octoberfest? I saw the forecast... doesn't look good.

                              I've been riding Solo a couple of times a week since Jack was four weeks old. I popped him (Solo, not Jack) over a few jumps on Friday (jumping ahead with leg swinging I'm sure!) and let me tell you my quads were SORE! I hadn't hiked up the stirrups that short for awhile.

                              No Octoberfest for us. Jumpstart was the last event of the season. We might do a couple of dressage shows or something like that if the weather holds out.

                              Comment

                              • Original Poster

                                #16
                                Originally posted by BigMick View Post
                                I've been riding Solo a couple of times a week since Jack was four weeks old. I popped him (Solo, not Jack) over a few jumps on Friday (jumping ahead with leg swinging I'm sure!) and let me tell you my quads were SORE! I hadn't hiked up the stirrups that short for awhile.

                                No Octoberfest for us. Jumpstart was the last event of the season. We might do a couple of dressage shows or something like that if the weather holds out.
                                Oh darn.... I think you should pop Jack over a few jumps! With Solo!

                                I think most are skipping Octoberfest as they went to Jumpstart. T & C aren't going either.

                                See you soon!

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by LSM1212 View Post
                                  Very true... I would like to shorten them a little bit more but my Orthopedic doctor (who rides also) has told me for my knee issues (I get them injected, unfortunately) to keep them slightly lower as not to bend my knee (especially the left one) too much. Puts too much strain on it.
                                  That's great that you are already getting them shorter than the use to be!

                                  Of course, I don't know what your issues are, but I also struggle with knee problems too. I have found that biking has done amazing things for my knees. I suspect it's the stregthening of the quads that takes some of the strain off the joint.

                                  Someone suggested imagining taking off with your heel first. Sometimes I'll take that visual farther and imagine LANDING with my heels digging into the ground.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    You've improved a lot since the August pictures! I'm working on some of the same things, so I'm finding the thread helpful, though I don't have any actual advice for you! I know that sometimes just phrasing something slightly differently can make for a huge breakthrough, or I sometimes just get enough additional strength or confidence in myself to do something I couldn't even a week or so before (mostly in vaulting, but sometimes in other kinds of riding, too).
                                    Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

                                    Comment

                                    • Original Poster

                                      #19
                                      Originally posted by subk View Post
                                      That's great that you are already getting them shorter than the use to be!

                                      Of course, I don't know what your issues are, but I also struggle with knee problems too. I have found that biking has done amazing things for my knees. I suspect it's the stregthening of the quads that takes some of the strain off the joint.

                                      Someone suggested imagining taking off with your heel first. Sometimes I'll take that visual farther and imagine LANDING with my heels digging into the ground.
                                      Actually, we have no clue how I messed it up. A huge knot just showed up on my left knee (on the inside) one day. I did PT for awhile (and did the bike exercises!) but it wasn't getting better. Had an MRI done. Just inflammation... arthritis. So I got it injected. And it helped a ton... but it's starting to "ache" again (it's been 1.5 years since the injection). Just remnants of my original injury, I guess. Or just getting old. Who knows? But I do find the stronger I become, the better my other pain gets. But it has filtered down to other areas instead.

                                      Thanks for the suggestion... I have a lesson tonight so will try and take some of the visuals/exercises that you all have suggested and apply them.

                                      Comment

                                      Working...
                                      X