• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Black Stallion style rear on a horse I'm shopping right now. Thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Stallion style rear on a horse I'm shopping right now. Thoughts?

I'm horse shopping right now and it's been a painful, expensive process filled with failed vet checks, dishonest advertising, lots of driving, and disappointment.

Some friendly COTHers found this guy for me: http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ings&Itemid=61

He's over 6+ hours away from me, but luckily I have a VERY trusted horse friend in the San Fran area who was willing to see him on my behalf. She likes his conformation (although he is much worse for the wear in real life than in his picture, as is so often the case) and said he is very sweet, affectionate, and social in the stall.

However, the barn is strictly a breeding facility and there is no area She is unable to ride him and they had to walk to a neighboring farm even to lounge in a tiny patch of dirt. I have no idea when the last time was that he was let out to stretch his legs, so I'm trying to be fair here, but in the videos she sent me he reared striaght up at least three times. I'm talkin' Black Stallion style rear.

I'm used to horses who haven't been worked bucking, crow-hopping, getting a little light in front or on all fours, but I've rarely seen one go straight up like that...several times. My friend said that as he settled down he seemed "quite submissive" and "not hot." Is the rearing a red flag (especially since I would be buying without riding...I don't like it as much as you, but there's literally no other option) or should I give him the benefit of the doubt?

Thanks!

I responded to your other post already, but had an afterthought upon reading this one...

Why aren't you working with a trainer? and if you are, why is trainer not involved in your shopping? I'm getting the vibe from your posts that you either aren't very confident, or are young or inexperienced in some way.

Comment

I replied on your long thread, but will add one more question: did he rear as play, or in response to a specific stimulus (eg when he was asked to go forward)? One that rears as play when full of energy would not bother me. One that rears specifically when asked to go forward can be more difficult to deal with.

I speak from experience--as noted on my other response, I have a 20 year old mare who rears in turnout. She is not, however, "nappy." My 5 year old, from the time I got her, would rear when she didn't want to go forward. It turned out she had some physical issues that I think we've resolved, and now that she can go forward comfortably, she's a lot more willing to say "yes," but it's been a rather lengthy process, and I've been very close to giving up a few times. (If I were paying CA board rates on her, I probably would have.... )

That's a long way of saying "it depends", I suppose. The fact that he reared at the beginning and then apparently settled down and was "very submissive" would count heavily in his favor.
      Custom and semi-custom washable wool felt saddle pads!
      http://www.etsy.com/shop/PellMellFeltPads

Comment

One that rears in play will know how to rear and will bring it out when the going gets tough. I would pass, quickly. Horses that rear are frustrating and dangerous. Give me a bucker ANY day.
        Amanda

Comment

PS- Meant to say rears in play while working. As in, being silly and exuberant I don't care what they do on their own time.
          Amanda

Comment

Agree with YB, pass. I hate a horse that likes to rear. It is the only thing that shakes my confidence in a horse.
            I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Heinz 57 View Post
              I responded to your other post already, but had an afterthought upon reading this one...

Why aren't you working with a trainer? and if you are, why is trainer not involved in your shopping? I'm getting the vibe from your posts that you either aren't very confident, or are young or inexperienced in some way.
              I actually have two trainers who have gone with me to try the majority of horses I've seen. My jump trainer has different taste than I do. I'm an eventer and she's h/j. I am inexperienced in the sense that I've grown up riding my entire life, but have only been eventing for the past few years. I'm new to the sport horse world (I grew up doing Saddleseat). This will be the second "sport horse" I've ever bought, so I'm definitely inexperienced in the horse shopping deparmtment. My last trainer mostly just picked out my last horse, but I had a stronger, longer rapport with her than I have with my current trainers.

Comment

Rearing under saddle is a deal breaker for me. But I have 'rearers' in the field that have never reared under saddle. I've also had young horses and horses off the track who have done this on the leadline (before learning that it is not acceptable), but have not done it under saddle.
                We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
                www.dleestudio.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by yellowbritches View Post
                  Give me a bucker ANY day.
                  Haha, my last guy was quite a bucker when I first bought him and it never bothered me. He only managed to throw me once, after four weeks of stall rest, but rearing is another thing...

Comment

Yes it is, and I've had my heart broken by a rearer (amazingly, I never came off of him or had him go over). I would never willingly deal with a rearer again.
                    Amanda

Comment

I'll just chime in again--I think we're all saying we need more information! Hard to tell from your OP whether it was legitimate play or an evasion.

There are two types of horses I will not ride: those with a deliberate "get off me" buck and those stupid/determined/lacking self-preservation enough to go over while rearing. It is hard to make that call in the abstract. You can tell a lot about what a horse is likely to do under saddle by watching how it responds on the ground, however, if you put a little pressure on.
                      Custom and semi-custom washable wool felt saddle pads!
                      http://www.etsy.com/shop/PellMellFeltPads

Comment

Based on the OP's other post, I was under the impression that they turned the horse loose in a pen and the rearing occurred while he was kicking up his heels, not while the horse was being actively engaged/worked.

IMO, if they were able to quietly lead him down the road to a neighboring farm without theatrics or stupidity.... I'd say he's probably not that dangerous.

ETA: it says to lunge in a tiny pen. Would need to see the video clip to say whether or not he was being "dangerous", IMO.

Comment

If one watched my herd of horses play in the field then they would be terrified to sit on their backs I have a bunch of young Tb's and they are absolutely over the top silly in the field. Huge twisting bucks, rears, spooks/spins and moves that would make any sane person think oh hell no. However, they are all totally professional under saddle and that is all that matters to me. I try very hard not to stand there and watch them because it does put bad thoughts into my head about what they are capable of doing when I am on them. Horses will be horses and being silly in the field is totally normal. So many horses buck and rear in the field but never do it under saddle.
                          http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

He was being lunged, but the seller casually mentioned to my friend that he hasn't formally been taught to lounge. Considering that, he was actually a gentleman! I've seen horses brand new to lounging have total meldowns, and he was more frisky/playful than rebellious. I think he just had no idea what he was supposed to be doing. I asked the owner if the previous rider had any experience with him rearing under saddle and she said no. She also said that's he's fit, even though he's been off the track for a couple years, because she keeps him in the euro-cizer thing with the colts getting ready to race. She said he's jogging 2.5 miles a day, but hasn't been lounged, ridden, or turned out in six months.

Soooo...I asked her if she'd let me do a trial so I could get him under saddle and PPE him at home and she said YES. He popped on a passing trailer today and will arrive tonight! Woot woot!

Comment

Based on the OP's other post, I was under the impression that they turned the horse loose in a pen and the rearing occurred while he was kicking up his heels, not while the horse was being actively engaged/worked.
                              If this is indeed the case, then my opinion is that he is a horse that knows how to rear and does so when he is very excited. Sounds obvious, but...

If he has NOT learned rearing as an evasion while under saddle, I would be cautiously optimistic. If somebody puts a lot of pressure on the horse, he MIGHT come up with rearing as an evasion. The rearing is there, in his neurological patterns, for him to access. However, he would have to be put in a pretty bad situation to do that.

I have a mare that LOVES to rear when she's really full of beans and playing around out in the field. She came up with rearing just a little when she got frustrated and upset while ridden away from home, when I was mentally pushing her too far. She was barn sour, and I didn't know how to deal with it at the time. I got some good help (from a fellow that has helped Buck out at some of his clinics), and we got it nipped in the bud.

However, ANY horse can be pushed too hard, in pain or get completely wound up not understanding what is being asked, and learn to rear in response.
                              My personal theory is that a horse that LIKES to rear when playing by himself in turnout, will be more likely to try that, than another horse, in a bad situation.

IMO, if they were able to quietly lead him down the road to a neighboring farm without theatrics or stupidity.... I'd say he's probably not that dangerous.
                              Agreed! That's a good sign of a sane horse.
                              And of course, advice to be careful not to push a horse so far that he's freaked out would apply to any horse-that's a great way to fry their brains

Comment

Hard to say.

I was taught that a horse who chooses to rear big, even in play, is more likely to choose that under pressure than a horse who doesn't choose the big rear. I wasn't told the same thing about bucking, though I have had plenty of friends who bought a wonderful hind end.... which was sometimes used for evil rather than good.

In your spot, I'd want to know how the rear happened. If it was when they first put this horse on a longe line and he hadn't been out in weeks, I might not worry about it. But I would want to know that he came right down and went forward when asked. If he chose to go up again, or if he stopped mid-longe to rear, I'd put him in the "this horse likes to rear" category.
                                The armchair saddler
                                Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

He was being lunged
                                  If he was being longed when he reared...he should have been engaged with the handler. Not a good sign in my book.

But...he's headed your way. Be careful!

Comment

Who runs Pioneer Equine now? Is it still as good as it was when Jerry Black was there?

OP, if the horse is in Oakdale, CA and this isn't the owner's practice it might be a great place to get a PPE done local to the horse.
                                    The armchair saddler
                                    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

OP said he didn't know how to longe. Maybe he should have been engaged with the handler but precious few horses are foot-perfect in longe lesson #1.

See what he's like when he gets there and when you hop on, be careful not to box him into a confining situation too fast before you get the lay of the land.

Comment

At this point I wouldn't panic.

If you take a horse that hasn't been turned out or ridden and put him in a round pen, I'm not surprised that he thought it was play time.

My horses used to play by rearing up at each other -- people would call me and tell me they were fighting!
                                        Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                                        EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Working...
                                        X