• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Training Level without hind shoes??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training Level without hind shoes??

Yes? No?

My gelding has good feet. He was in front shoes only for a long time, but I noticed his hind feet started chipping last year when we were out on the rocky trail nearly every day. Now we're mostly in a super cushy arena, and the trails we have easy access to aren't nearly as rocky, so I'm debating on pulling his hind shoes now as a test run.

Our first HT is in May, and if things go according to plan we will be running Training for the first time. Obviously we will school XC several times before that, and have a few schooling shows lined up, so if I decide to change him back to fully shod I will have time.

Thoughts? The ground in my area is really hard over the summer, so that is something to consider. But if it's possible to keep him barefoot behind I would prefer it. He goes out with a buddy, and they tend to play fairly rough.
    runnjump86 Instagram

Horse Junkies United guest blogger

I am sure it can done and has been done, especially out in CA where you don't have the issues with dewy grass or mud that we have here. That being said, I tend to think, at training level, you either need all four so you can stud (I always stud behind, but not always up front), or go hardcore and go barefoot and let their natural traction do its job. I, personally, would leave them on, especially if the footing tends toward hard.
    Amanda

Comment

i agree, having done barefoot and all 4 shoes (but only at novice, but here in GA with the red clay mud). i would do either/or mainly for stud purposes.
      Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

Comment

I've done it completely barefoot.
        It seems general opinion is moving toward studs at lower levels though.

If he is going well in shoes, not sure I'd pull them approaching the season. It can take a couple months to get used to barefoot again, and it might impact your prep if he is tender.

Comment

Mine is currently running training level with no shoes behind down in Florida where it is sandy. I may end up putting shoes on for training once he is back in PA although he ran novice last year up here with no issues at all, so I haven't made a definite decisionl.
          OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

I ran the Hou Man Training with no back shoes. He was super sturdy on his feet. Also, the HTs I did with him had a lot of sand and/or thick fluffy grass.

On the flip side, I had to stud Boomer as early as novice because he was a dork and always slipped out behind.

I like the studs more for the dressage and SJ (if on grass) where you are in a smaller space and tend to have tighter turns.
            Especially when there are lengthens in the dressage and I'm on grass. I always put in some traction. Makes ME tend to ride more bold and get better movement out of my mount.

I've also been on some horses who jump very bold when they are studded, and are a little too careful when they don't have the studs.

I think it's more horse to horse case than it is for the rider.
            http://kaboomeventing.com/
            http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
            Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

I agree, nurp. For me it is a lot more to do with the dressage and sj at this level than the xc. But, again, sandy footing, I probably wouldn't worry about it. Around here, you often have 3 choices of footing: muddy, dewy, or hard and dry (Which is slick as snot!). I like a little stud for any of those, especially in dressage and sj on a horse who may or may not still be finding their feet.
              Amanda

Comment

It totally depends on the horse and the footing. Some horses and footing, no problem, others need it.

Comment

I usually put hind shoes on at training level. The footing here is clay and it gets hard and slippery. Can be slippery when wet too, it just depends what you are jumping on. It is more of a problem for show jumping if it is in grass than for XC.

Comment

I am also in area VI and my old Appy went fine at training level with shoes just in front.

He didn’t get shoes all around until we did training level at Wild Horse ( which is long gone ) – as they had dressage and show jumping on dewy grass, and slipping was a concern. So he got shoes so he could have studs all around.

Are there any venues that run on grass in CA any more? Most are sand arenas, or dirt / sand mixes. XC tends to be dirt that has been harrowed into soft footing. Summers are dry, so mud is not a concern (but some places can be hard if they do not harrow the xc course).
                    APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

My guy currently runs Training w/ no hind shoes (and, therefore, sans studs) and he does great. Definitely varies from horse to horse though.

Comment

If your ground stays hard you might be fine.
                        I thought my DD would be fine at Training barefoot, she went to her first schooling event barefoot last fall and slid right into her first stadium fence (grass arena, rained the night before). I was scared to death for her on XC and reiterated the "you can pull up anytime on XC and I won't be mad at you" rule but it turned out fine. Second schooling event went fine, but he's getting shoes next week and DD is getting a stud kit for her birthday. Mommy isn't messing around.

Comment

I'm not a fan of studs at lower levels. Run barefoot until you need help. That will also tell you a lot about your horse (and perhaps your riding).

Comment

I wouldn't. I'd either shoe all four or leave them barefoot all around. Barefoot is probably fine in California where most of the tracks are tilled, or you are on flat irrigated ground. For hilly and grassy, would absolutely have shoes so you can stud... learned that lesson the hard way when I had a horse tear a DDFT at novice slipping on a mild downhill in dewy grass.

Comment

I've never studded for training or below. Mine have always either been barefoot or barefoot behind at those levels.
                              Yes, I ride a pony. No, he would not be ideal for your child. No, he is not a re-sale project...

Comment

Totally depends on the horse. I have one that I shod behind starting at novice because he needed studs at that level (and was and still is known to yahoo with enthusiasm no matter the footing, so needs some grip). Another went through prelim barefoot behind and never a stud. He's incredibly balanced naturally with a great hoof wall for gripping. His last training was at FETA in Tryon, basically on the side of a mountain, and he never put a foot wrong. Unshod behind gives more traction than shod without studs, so it really comes down to whether he needs shoes as dictated by hoof quality and studding requirements depending on the individual horse.
                                Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Comment

One of my students had a lovely Arab she was eventing at Training barefoot, slipped on a turn approaching the water at a venue with fabulous sandy footing, just a slick spot. Fell right in front of the jump in. He was leery of water jumps for MONTHS.

When it comes to jumping, my motto is "don't let sh*t happen to scare the horse when it is learning it's job". YMMV.

Jennifer
                                  Third Charm Event Team

Comment

So can they learn to be better on grass? My guy had some slipping when SJ on grass at BN. I wonder if it because we always do that kind of jumping in a ring? I also am very hesitant to put hind shoes on, because he and his buddy boy play very hard!

Comment

I don't think, in this area, you could run training and not have all four on.

My little drafty girl is very used to having studs on grass and she is more tentative without them. As she is quite competent at SavingMyAss, I would prefer she not hesitate, ever.
                                      Big Idea Eventing

Comment

One of my students had a lovely Arab she was eventing at Training barefoot, slipped on a turn approaching the water at a venue with fabulous sandy footing, just a slick spot. Fell right in front of the jump in. He was leery of water jumps for MONTHS.

When it comes to jumping, my motto is "don't let sh*t happen to scare the horse when it is learning it's job". YMMV.

I have 4 on, rarely run studs.
                                        Been drilled into me by my trainers [J Wofford/D Emerson], you can never be over prepared.

Comment

Working...
                                        X