• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Connemara Update! New U/S Video!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connemara Update! New U/S Video!

Hi all! So I went to look at the little Connemara yesterday. Sweetest thing ever, and such a saint u/s! He hadn't been ridden for three months, and last year he had a total of 15 rides put on him. I was mildly impressed! I think I would snatch him up, apart from the fact that while I was in Edmonton yesterday I went to look at an OTTB that I totally fell in love with.

The OTTB is 6, the Connemara is turning 4 in July, so the OTTB fits my age wants better. I'd be afraid to do much with the Connie until he had developed a bit more. The OTTB is definitely a 'project' horse, hasn't had anything done with him since being taken off the track 15 months ago, so he was quite rude on the ground and slightly clueless under saddle except for FORWARD! Not sure why, but I just couldn't get this goofy grin off my face after getting off him. He was quite the character too.

So now I have this dilemma! The Connemara is super cute and a lot easier to ride, would be an easy flip if I needed too. But he's $4000 and the OTTB is $1000, and I absolutely adaored riding the thoroughbred while the Connemara was fun. What to do what to do! Anyways here's the video of Artemis (the Connemara) under saddle. Maybe you guys can help me out with this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2T897G6FyU

The foundation on the Connemara means that even though he's younger he's miles ahead of any OTTB fresh off the track. Considering he's been off for 3 months and had 15 rides before that I think he's just about perfect. I'm having a difficult time figuring out what you want in a horse, an OTTB is very different from this pony.

Do you like him because he's bigger and cheaper? Because he's an OTTB? His ground manners sound awful and most OTTBs start out being very forward because it's all they know.

I think as a resale project the pony is overpriced, but as a personal horse he's priced right.
    http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Definitely set out a list:
      • what you need
      • what you want
      • what you'd ideally like (e.g. colour)
      • what you cannot live with
      • what you can live with

Then compare that list to each of the two horses you're considering.

I have no idea what you're aiming for (personal horse, resale horse, must-be-quiet-if-only-ridden-twice-a-week etc.) so it's important to be honest about your goals, skills, and desires.

Personally I don't want to have a livewire who is impossible to deal with if it's had a day off. I could deal with it, but it is more pleasant for me if I don't have to. So that has become part of my horse-shopping list.
      Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Comment

I don't know why you think a 4 year old is too immature to do much with. I would have no problem doing as much as his fitness and mental state allows. Once he's fit and had some more schooling he's going to be great. I bet he progresses faster then the OTTB. By summer you could be doing entry level stuff with the Connie; the TB may still be learning to keep all 4 feet on the ground at that point.

In the end, you have to go with your heart so if the OTTB fits that bill, then get a PPE and go from there.

There's a good chance they'll take a fair offer on the Connie; the market is very soft in the lower price bracket right now.

Comment

You start trotting at about 4 minutes. Watch his ears for the rest of the video. He is listening to you the whole time. On top of that he has rhythm and is trying very hard to stay balanced even though he clearly is not in condition. I thought his canter looked great for an out of work pony who has had very little chance to develop balance under a rider.
          Once he has balance, he is going to have forward. I like a pony who is thinking balance first, speed later.
          And OMG, all those toys in an indoor arena and he is still focused on the rider.
          "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! I agree the Connemara is super, I was impressed. The thing with the TB is that I haven't had so much fun on a horse for a long time. I just loved riding him. Plus $4000 is pushing my budget quite a bit, and with $1000 I'd have more left to work with for clinics, shows, etc. Really all I'm looking for is a horse with lots of potential, to be able to get a good start on before the summer show season. If we find out it's only going to be a LL horse I'll flip it, but if it's going to be able to work its way up the levels I'll keep it. The thoroughbred comes with a week or two trial period, so I may do that and if it doesn't work out get the Connemara. Still really on the fence though.

Comment

The Connemara's price could triple or quadruple around here if you did a few months of working with him and a few Beginner Novice events. He is very cute.

Think about what you want in a horse. If you want an Advanced horse, the Connemara is probably not what you want. He is what a lot of adult amateurs are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by AKB View Post
                The Connemara's price could triple or quadruple around here if you did a few months of working with him and a few Beginner Novice events. He is very cute.

Think about what you want in a horse. If you want an Advanced horse, the Connemara is probably not what you want. He is what a lot of adult amateurs are looking for.
                Adult amateur here and if I knew where this pony was I'd go buy him sight unseen. He looks super forgiving and fun.

If you didn't enjoy him, then you didn't enjoy him, and I'd say buy the OTTB if that's what you enjoyed. Of course, the way the OTTB is now is not the way he'll be with a year or two of training, either.
                Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
                you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

You want a horse that can move up the levels, if I may be nosy can you say what is the highest you've evented to and if your goals are realistic?

Many times we say that we want a horse with potential to go Advanced or something like that but it's really a pipe dream for many ammys on a budget and we wind up with unsuitable horses.

If $4,000 for a horse is pushing your budget so much it will eat into lessons and shows then maybe you'd be better off with a more amature friendly lower level horse? Getting a horse to the upper levels can be expensive even for riders who have been there before.
                  http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Really what I want is something that has the potential to be great. No, I may not be able to get it there financially but I'd like to bring it as far as I can and then we'll see. I have the experience under my belt to be able to bring along a young horse, but if it's just going to get to novice or pre-training I won't be terribly interested in keeping it. I guess by more than LL I mean something that can potentially get me to intermediate, which I kind of have doubts the Connie will be able to do (though who knows, there are quite a few super ponies out there!), but he might be a stepping block. If I developed him then sold him for more then I could invest in an even better prospect. Just trying to make the right decision right now

Comment

If you decide against the Connemara, PM me with the contact info. My neighbor is looking for something like him, although she would prefer that he have evented a few times.

Comment

Here's what I've done in the situations when I'm tempted to buy two horses: buy them both. (Fortunately, I don't look at "expensive" horses.) Over the course of the next months, it becomes clear which one I want to keep.

You may not be in a situation to do it, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Comment

• Original Poster

Haha I wish I had the funds to buy both! Not going to happen though, stuck with choosing. For those of you interested here is some footage of the OTTB yesterday. Keeping in mind that this was the first time he was touched after 15 months off from racing, I think he did pretty good. Though these were his better moments He was super fun to ride though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3htwLNAnrnU

Comment

I don't see intermediate in the Connemara. Very, very cute sweet horse that will be someone's packer. The TB does not terribly impress me, but you do a nice job riding through his shenanigans, so I say go for it. You say you want to go to the upper levels, so you're going to have to get used to dealing with hotheaded guys like him when you're on a limited budget. He might have training/prelim in him. IMHO, $1k is too much for him, just because he hasn't been in the slightest amount of work. I say go with your heart. But do a vetting first!!

Comment

Honestly...buy the pony. Put the summer into him and flip him. Take the money you make on him and buy a nicer horse to go further up the levels.

You might have had fun on the OTTB...but he is a big risk. This pony is pretty easy to turn and sell. He's good moving and has a good brain. Put some experience on him and sell him for 10-15K. Then buy a nicer prospect.

ETA: Just looked at the video of the OTTB.... definitely buy the pony. You do a nice job on the OTTB but he doesn't scream UL prospect to me. I DO prefer OTTBs for my own horse. I currently own 5...and have owned many others. The one you tried I would have passed up. He doesn't have the build or balance that I like in OTTBs. Yes you can improve him...but I like to start with better raw material. I'm typically buying for at least a 2* horse....and I can see a diamond in the rough. But there are certain traits that I really want to see...and this one didn't do it for me.

The pony will be an easier and more profitable resale horse....and of these two...that is what I see.
                              Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Mar. 3, 2013, 09:06 PM. Reason: typo
                              ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

I don't think you are on the fence ... it sounds like you really want the tb? I think he did pretty well, actually, for the little he's down away from the track. I like him

Comment

I agree with BNFE.

I do not see either horse as an Intrmediate prospect.

I see the Connemara out competing in a couple of months.

I think it is going to be longer before the TB is ready to compete.

And once they are out competing, I think the Connemara is going to be easier to sell.
                                  Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

Not sure if this is going to help or not, but I think we are pretty similar. I am an experienced ammy. I wanted to get into eventing and thought that an OTTB would be the way to go, I bought a 3yo off the track with zero retraining, and she is not a horse I can just sit back and enjoy. She is very hot, and a mare to boot, and we finally got to our first event last summer after I had owned her for three years. I work full time and have a limited horse-stuff budget so I cannot afford a whole lot of help and do the best I can by myself. Some days I wish I had gotten something else. Actually a lot of days I wish that. That Connemara looks super fun.
                                    http://www.lucysquest.blogspot.com

Custom Painted Saddle Pads and Ornaments

Comment

Were the choice mine to make, I would take the pony all day long-- for all the reasons others have mentioned. These two are apples and oranges. If it's an OTTB you want, I'd do more shopping in the orange department. There are bound to be riper, sweeter ones for you--the right now you, and the you for later.
                                      "With mirth and laughter, let old wrinkles come" (Shakespeare).

Comment

Read BFNE's post over and over; she nailed it.

That pony is super cute and you could easily have him out showing this summer.
                                        If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Comment

Working...
                                        X