• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Fixing bridging on saddle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing bridging on saddle?

So I tried a 17/34cm Prestige Eventer. Seemed to fit horse very well and he went very well in it as well, but I just wasn't happy with it leg wise for myself. So I happened to find a BLACK 18/33cm Prestige Nona Garson (what I wanted to begin with) so I snapped it up. Leg wise it's much better for me and I feel like I can find a balance point easily which I couldn't do in the eventer. BUT of course now this one doesn't fit the horse.... definite bridging going on. I think he could use the 34cm, but I'm no fitter and I don't know if having the tree widened a little will help the issue. It's foam flocked so no adjusting it to that degree. I'm trying to decide how much I should put into making it fit or if I should just resell it and move on...
    Custom Painted Brushes: spcustombrushes@gmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/SP-Cus...75042339173555

Bridging doesn't really have to do with tree width. It is the straightnees of the rails of the tree. Since it is foam and not wool your best bet is a pad that accepts inserts such as a thinline withe bridging inserts.
    \"In all manners of opinion, our adversaries are insane.\" Mark Twain

Comment

Bridging is a fundamental, structural issue. You may be able to fix it with some creative padding, but bottom line is that the saddle is not built correctly for the horse, unfortunately.

Comment

Bridging is usually ALL about tree width. Typically the first sign of a tree that's too narrow (apart from you noticing the pommel being too high) is the bridging !

You need the 34. No amount of flocking changes even to a wool panel will fix it. Fortunately, you have an adjustable tree. This is one instance where it probably makes more economic sense to send it off to the manufacturer, or VTO saddlery, or someone, than to have an independent fitter do it on the spot because it's a heat-molded synthetic tree. If I do it, it has to sit under the heat lamp for 12 hours and then go into the press and it's a pain, and can't be done on site with the horse right there anyway, so you don't lose anything by sending it away. It costs about $100 for one of the big places to do it, and I'm pretty sure none of us independents can do it for anything close to that.

Comment

Originally posted by KateWooten View Post
          Bridging is usually ALL about tree width. Typically the first sign of a tree that's too narrow (apart from you noticing the pommel being too high) is the bridging !
          Maybe you can explain this further, as I have done in-depth research to fit my oddly-shaped guy and that's not at all what was explained by most saddle fitting sites.

My VERY basic explanation of what I understand about bridging: There are flat trees, and curved trees. There are flat backs, and curved backs. Bridging happens when you try to fit a flat tree on a curved back. Rocking happens when you try to put a curved tree on a flat back. If the issue is minor it can possibly be fixed by some flocking, but if it's anything above minor you're looking at a tree that is just not designed for the back that it's on.

This is incorrect?

Comment

Do a little more in-depth research. Pick a tree that fits your horse. Then pick two tree sizes narrower Of that Same Tree. Put it on your horse. It will bridge. I could probably draw you the picture if I thought about it.... hmmm... Ok, picture the curve of your horse's back when viewed from the side, and the curve of a tree that fits it. Now, in your mind, simulate a similar curved tree but too narrow - so the same curve now starts MUCH higher up on your horse's wither. Now the curve of the tree is just not deep enough to follow your horse's back. It would have to be a MUCH steeper curve to follow the wither down. As a result, you've now got a tree that's effectively too straight, and will bridge.

Comment

Do a little more in-depth research. Pick a tree that fits your horse. Then pick two tree sizes narrower Of that Same Tree. Put it on your horse. It will bridge. I could probably draw you the picture if I thought about it.... hmmm... Ok, picture the curve of your horse's back when viewed from the side, and the curve of a tree that fits it. Now, in your mind, simulate a similar curved tree but too narrow - so the same curve now starts MUCH higher up on your horse's wither. Now the curve of the tree is just not deep enough to follow your horse's back. It would have to be a MUCH steeper curve to follow the wither down. As a result, you've now got a tree that's effectively too straight, and will bridge.
              I see it rocking or severely pinching more than bridging, but I will give way to your greater experience.

Still not sure I would go so far to say that bridging is "ALL about tree size," though.

Comment

Yes, typically - you can find trees that are just too straight, but overwhelmingly often, widening a tree makes the bridging go away. Of course there may be other issues.

Comment

(oh, and not including very sway-backed horses of course - in that case almost everything bridges)

Comment

Originally posted by GoForAGallop View Post
                    I see it rocking or severely pinching more than bridging
                    Did you do the actual experiment with the different tree widths or just the thought experiment ? A too narrow saddle doesn't rock at all - quite the opposite. And oddly enough, even the ''severe pinching' that most people think of is often counter-intuitive. Too narrow of a tree sits up at the front, puts the riders' weight too far back and can often lead straight to way too much pressure under the cantle, and none at all under the tree points. It's a moving system.

Comment

Did you do the actual experiment with the different tree widths or just the thought experiment ? A too narrow saddle doesn't rock at all - quite the opposite. And oddly enough, even the ''severe pinching' that most people think of is often counter-intuitive. Too narrow of a tree sits up at the front, puts the riders' weight too far back and can often lead straight to way too much pressure under the cantle, and none at all under the tree points. It's a moving system.
                      Seeing as I'm not a saddle fitter and responded to your post within five minutes of you posting, no, I did not have the chance to run out to the barn, pull out two identical saddles with only slightly different tree widths, and try the experiment.

I do understand what you're saying, and can picture it in my head.

I was just disagreeing with the "ALL about" statement, as many of the pros in my area (Kitt up at Trumbull, Colin Davis, etc) do not even mention tree width when they talk about bridging, they talk about tree shape.

I suspect you're right that tree width is the issue for the OP, but lots of people read these saddle fitting threads to learn. Tree shape should get its just mention , so that people don't get stuck trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by thinking they can just go up a tree size.

Comment

If the 34 cm fit and the 33 cm is too small, it seems like it is just an issue of tree width.

Are you sure it's actually bridging?

Bridging occurs when the saddle makes contact only in the front and the back, so that the panels do not support the rider's weight in the middle.

When bridging is minor, it sometimes isn't a problem when the horse lifts its back in work, but you do need to be careful about it.
                        Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                        EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

I agree with Kate in that bridging can be a matter of width. If the saddle is perched up front and back due to the width being too narrow, it will only make contact on the front and rear and often going wider, if the general shape is decent for the horse, will help with the bridging issue.
                          Jay McGarry
                          sms trained saddle fitter
                          www.trumbullmtn.com
                          800-442-9672

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Bogie View Post
                            If the 34 cm fit and the 33 cm is too small, it seems like it is just an issue of tree width.

Are you sure it's actually bridging?

Bridging occurs when the saddle makes contact only in the front and the back, so that the panels do not support the rider's weight in the middle.

When bridging is minor, it sometimes isn't a problem when the horse lifts its back in work, but you do need to be careful about it.
                            Yes, I can stick my hand down the front of the saddle and feel where it doesn't sit on him. Can also tell when feeling from under the flap. This was not at all an issue with the 34cm Eventer, hence the asking if have this 33cm Nona widened to 34 would help alleviate the problem since they are both Prestige saddles. I don't mind buying a pad if needed to further help after that as the horse I'm riding is not mine, so while it would be nice if the saddle fit perfectly I don't want to spend a lot of money changing this saddle to fit him if there is no hope lol.

Comment

I missed the fact before that it is a different model saddle. You will need to find out if the two fit similarly before going through the trouble of widening the tree. Even though they are both Prestige saddles they can still fit differently.

Comment

• Original Poster

I sent an email to VTO to get their opinion since they sell both saddles and do tree width changes on them.

Comment

I have found that bridging can be affected by the width of the tree, but having a horse with a curvier-than-average back and needing at least a wide if not x-wide in tree width I know from experience that the width might fit, but the saddle can still bridge; don't know how many saddles I went through! If the saddle seems to fit in the front, widening it will likely make the tree too wide. I do understand how bridging could come from a too-narrow saddle, but I would first notice that the tree was not wide enough before noticing the bridging. The horse would notice, too!

As for fixing true bridging, if the front of the saddle fits there are pads and shims you can get to help if it is not too bad. I have used Skito pads with good results; you send in photos of the horse's back with and without the saddle, explain where the bridging is, and they recommend a particular combination of thickness of pad and shims. The foam is very nice and the pads are well made; they come in just about any material and color combination you want.

Comment

(oh, and not including very sway-backed horses of course - in that case almost everything bridges)
                                    As the owner of one very sway-backed horse, I will chime in and say that it IS possible to get saddles that do not bridge and yes, both tree width and tree shape has a lot to do with it.

While I don't think it's an issue with the Prestige jump saddles mentioned, bridging can be further assisted by too large gusseted panels in the back.

Two pads that I find to be good for bridging are the Thinline that you can add inserts to, and the Prolite Triple Pocket pad. Both are relatively thin pads that you can put varied thickness of shims in. Both are shock absorbing as well. The Thinline allows you to get the nice white fluffy half-pad look if you want, while the Prolite, IMO, is not as fancy (or expensive) but a little easier to work with. Especially if you use the pad for multiple horses or saddles.

Now, that said, you would still want to make sure the width of the saddle works. You wouldn't want to add one of these pads to an already too narrow saddle.
                                    Last edited by OreoCookie; Feb. 28, 2013, 02:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Personally, I'd sell it and move on.

There is a chance having the tree widened will fix the issue. However, there is also a chance that the the seat size (and correspondingly the length of the panel) is the issue. A horse with a short or upward sloping back can be a problem in this department.

Comment

Contacting VTO sounds like your best bet. The good news is that the Prestige trees can be adjusted many times without impacting their integrity so if the saddle fits you and a simple adjustment can make it work for your horse, it's worth holding onto.

Honestly if it is only $100 and you really like the saddle, I might try it anyway. It won't negatively impact the value of your saddle. I have a County Extreme that was adjusted out to a wide tree before I got it and I'm having it adjusted back to a medium tree to fit my horse because it's one of my favorite saddles. Now, since my saddle is slightly too wide for my horse I can see that the panel shape and tree shape fit him very well -- the just need to be narrower. Luckily my fitter can do that for me at the barn when he comes next month.

Comment

Working...
                                        X