• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse Buying: Conformation & Vices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little over at the knee doesn't bother me, conformation-wise. I had a weaver for 10 years, and I had to be specially choosy about which shows to go to. I ended up with her because the seller couldn't find anyone who would buyher with the weaving problem. I learned to work around it and she was a super sound, terrific horse. Had her 10 years, and then sold her to a forever home...she is still jumping wonderfully and is turned out 24/7....so no more weaving problem.
    I would trust your gut when buying horses, but that's just me. And, buying any horse has a lot of risk attached to it. Buy something you love.

Comment

Originally posted by blame_the_champagne View Post
      I just got pictures of her from those days (cringe!) and I'm wondering if she has ulcers from the previous race career + malnutrition. Maybe when we treat those the cribbing will lessen? Here's to hoping for a good month and a clean vet check!
      It's a good bet that's she's got ulcers. Treating her with omeprazole is a good idea.

Also have a good dentist check her mouth. Teeth are often neglected in lower level claimers.

Comment

She was rescued from a low end auction (many kill buyers) because she was half starved and wasn't going to sell to a good home. I just got pictures of her from those days (cringe!) and I'm wondering if she has ulcers from the previous race career + malnutrition. Maybe when we treat those the cribbing will lessen? Here's to hoping for a good month and a clean vet check!
        I think you will find a lot of her problems will originate from her less-than-ideal track life. I'd treat for ulcers and have her teeth done for sure. One of my current horses came from a similar situation, and he was a stall walking, weaving wreck when I got him. Once he figured out the routine and adjusted to non-track life, the stall walking and weaving pretty much stopped. He's out half the day, which is a big help.

As for the rest of the stuff, if she is "that ride" for you, the rest doesn't matter. I've owned cribbers and weavers and neither really bothers me as long as they are "that ride".

Comment

• Original Poster

I've had her on trial since Wednesday and she hasn't cribbed or weaved once (and I've spent HOURS in her stall, obserserving her, grooming her, etc.)!!! We'll see, but so far so good.

However, bad news is that when my ferrier hoof tested her she was very sore everhwere but right front. She was severely overtrimmed (and barefoot on concrete) when rescued in October. The big concern, according to ferrier, is PEDAL OSTEITIS: http://www.anvilmag.com/farrier/012f4.htm. Ferrier is worried because she's been sore/inalmmed internally for so long now that it could have done permanent bone damage (not reversible), esp. if it was going on for years while she was developing/growing.

I'm super worried, because I think she's wonderful! Any experience with this? Has anyone else bought/rescued a horse that was sore for a long period for a long period of time? Did they heal? Was there long term damage? Did you x-ray?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...type=3&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...type=3&theater

Comment

At this point I think you need to bring a vet in and get their opinion and films if necessary.

If she's just sore, hoof boots with pads could help but you need to know what's going on with those feet.
            Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
            EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

I'm super worried, because I think she's wonderful! Any experience with this? Has anyone else bought/rescued a horse that was sore for a long period for a long period of time? Did they heal? Was there long term damage? Did you x-ray?

Yes to x--ray, it was how we found that the horse had pedal osteitis. And the horse did go on and do just fine--shoeing change (pads) and time. It will depend on the x-ray though. Good luck with her!
              ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

I don't know how recent the videos were that you just posted, but she looks pretty sound to me. Granted the footing is cushy, but... She's a very attractive mover. I'd say vet her and go on with it. She was only $500, I think I remember you saying in a previous post. That's a lot of horse for $500, IMHO.

Sheila

Comment

I agree that she needs to be vetted. I know she's a "cheap" horse, but the unsound ones cost just as much to keep--usually more--than the sound ones. I'd go into it with a VERY good idea of what your "stop, this is enough" point is. For me, at least, on a horse like this? I'll radiograph one joint. If the vet feels looking at more than one is necessary, I walk.

Her racing record is suspicious. She looked like a horse just one race away from breaking her maiden and then her last three starts are terrible. Serious drop in form. And then dumped at a killer sale? Super, super suspicious. (Oh, she "stumbled at the start" of her last good race. Still went on to finish 2nd, but would wonder if she was injured there. You can watch the race here and it looks like she did stumble badly.)

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by fairtheewell View Post
                    I hope you finally just buy this mare and turn her into what she is talented to do...you don't "ride" cribbing and weaving (those can be managed). You love everything about this mare. Your heart has told you this already..circumstances have told you this already...Just do it and don't look back. If she ends up a superstar nobody will care if she cribs and weaves.

How's that for enabling!!!
                    Took your advice and have her on trial. Not a crib nor a weave in sight since Wednesday. Perfect behavior; happy horse. However, she was positive for soreness when hoof tested. See my post "Horse Shopping Drama. How should I proceed?" to give me more great advice

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Simkie View Post

Her racing record is suspicious. She looked like a horse just one race away from breaking her maiden and then her last three starts are terrible. Serious drop in form. And then dumped at a killer sale? Super, super suspicious. (Oh, she "stumbled at the start" of her last good race. Still went on to finish 2nd, but would wonder if she was injured there. You can watch the race here and it looks like she did stumble badly.)
                      Yes, I agree. It makes me very nervous. I can't decide if it's worth the risk??? But my heart just goes out to this sweet filly who's had such a terrible time in life so far. I know I can't rescue them all, but if I could rescue just one and get a nice horse out of it I'd be stoked. They also kept her for eleven months after her last race (rehabing said mystery injury and starving her???) before they dumped her (disgusting). They kept her brother (who also stopped racing) for those eleven months and took them together to the kill auction (both severely emaciated). I'm hoping maybe the owner ran out of money and hung on to them for a while, hoping to get back in the game, but it could very likely be an injury situation. The rescuer said she talked to the trainer and he said she was never injured, just too slow, but of course we'd take his word with a serious grain of salt.

Comment

FYI, my OTTB is now 21, we evented Novice for many years, fox-hunted, etc. He would always hoof test positive if the farrier did it a certain way. Farrier told me that. Horse was sound until he was 16, then we started to lower what he did, because he was sore after drops, and I didn't have the funds to make him comfortable doing more, so we did what he was happy to do. Stopped jumping him at 18. Really not that bad a career for a horse that had very sensitive feet. Admittedly, next time, I want a horse with perfect feet, but I am sure that something else will be a problem. So if Xrays are OK, and she is sound a passes the vet, maybe she is just a wimp when hoof-tested like my guy. My horse is still sound most days with no bute, but if we were to jump if would hurt his tootsies. Not too bad at 21.

Comment

Please. please, -In both your posts about this mare, it is fArrier.

Also, I have owned and known tender footed horses. They did not have pedal osteitis, they just liked making me pay for shoes.

So get the radiographs, after the vet looks at her. His price sounds pretty reasonable for the pics. It sounds as though in the process of not feeding her, they also neglected her feet, and then had their car mechanic brother-in-law trim her.
                          Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Yes, I agree. It makes me very nervous. I can't decide if it's worth the risk??? But my heart just goes out to this sweet filly who's had such a terrible time in life so far. I know I can't rescue them all, but if I could rescue just one and get a nice horse out of it I'd be stoked. They also kept her for eleven months after her last race (rehabing said mystery injury and starving her???) before they dumped her (disgusting). They kept her brother (who also stopped racing) for those eleven months and took them together to the kill auction (both severely emaciated). I'm hoping maybe the owner ran out of money and hung on to them for a while, hoping to get back in the game, but it could very likely be an injury situation. The rescuer said she talked to the trainer and he said she was never injured, just too slow, but of course we'd take his word with a serious grain of salt.
                            This mare was definitely NOT "too slow." She had back to back seconds, running for a $32,000 claiming tag and damned near won--TWICE. Not only was she super close to breaking her maiden, there is a LOT of room to go down in cheaper claiming races. (Our cheapest claiming price here at Arapahoe Park is a TENTH of what this mare was running for.) There's a reason why she went from running really well to running last. She was hurt, or she started bleeding through lasix or *something.*

Do you know for sure that the people who brought her to the auction are the people who last raced her? Perhaps her racetrack connections gave her away to what they thought was a good home, but those owners didn't feed her and then took her to the sale?

Comment

Originally posted by merrygoround View Post
                              Please. please, -In both your posts about this mare, it is fArrier.
                              Perhaps her man is french or trained in France, in which case he is a ferrier - Alain has Ferrier on his truck though he's been working in English speaking Canada for a long while

Comment

Originally posted by alto View Post
                                Perhaps her man is french or trained in France, in which case he is a ferrier - Alain has Ferrier on his truck though he's been working in English speaking Canada for a long while
                                Ah!
                                Noun
                                ferrier (plural ferriers)
                                (obsolete) a ferryman

And perhaps, he is all wet.

I will be very curious as to a veterinarian's opinion on the feet, and perhaps the whole horse. So until Mon, Adieu!!!!
                                Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

I used to be one of those who said vices didn't bother me... until I owned a horse who cribbed all his life to the point where he wore his top teeth completely down and could barely eat in his older years. That was with wearing a collar his whole life, and having tried every kind of collar on the market. Never again!

Comment

I realized today. At work. That I am the horse equivalent of a weaver. I wiggle a leg or knock my knees together constantly (quietly) all day long. Not because of stress, or ulcers or any number of things. It is just something I do. And I am 51 and completely sound.
                                    We have several cribbers and a weaver at my barn. They are dealt with accordingly. Toys, collars, turn out and most of all correct diets to their needs. The cribber plus weaver is an awesome athlete (not my own btw) and the most adorable, much loved horse you could imagine. It is just something he does. My two cents worth.

Comment

Working...
                                    X