• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What does your competition horse eat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does your competition horse eat?

I know, I'm starting a lot of threads.. Just want to see what's out there for everyone! What do you feed your horses? Why?

My late TB gelding was fed:
    1 lb Omolene 500 (12:8) AM/PM
    1/2 pound soaked rolled oats AM
    1 sc. MSM AM
    1 sc. Cetyl M AM

He was fed the Omolene because at the time, I wanted something similar to Ultium and Omolene was readily available - without the 28$ price tag. I tried him on it, he did VERY well - for the first time in a long time he was "cut back" from his feed while being in work. It really seemed to work for him. The oats were given to me by my job, and I was like "why not?" - they don't have much nutritional value but the gelding loved them.

The MSM was more of a maintenance thing: he had SI injections and while I didn't notice a difference to his movement before/after the MSM, I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Cetyl M was something I had to beg my store to carry: and once we did, we sold out. I bought the first bucket.. administered it to him and within two days alone noticed a drastic difference in his willingness to go forward. Love it, definitely noticed it improved his movement!

And naturally, he was on good quality hay too.

So, what do you feed your competition horse? What are the ratios? What have you found "Worked"? In an ideal world, would you feed something different?
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

All of mine get:

Orchard hay, a mix of 1st and 3rd cutting, grass when it's available, generous amounts tailored if necessary to the animal's weight.

Purina's Enrich 32 ration balancer, about 1-1.5 pounds per day depending on the horse and its workload.

Flax seed, about a cup a day. If I can find Uckele's Equi-Omega on sale I will buy a tub since the horses really love it and I don't have to feed much for the same "shine factor".

A multi-vitamin/mineral/essential amino acid supplement because none of my horses gets the full recommended amount of the RB based on the bag, so I don't want to short them on micronutrients. We are profoundly selenium deficient in this area.

Solitude feed-through fly control stuff February through November.

No joint stuff (well, Bonnie gets Pentosan IM monthly if she's working hard), no other supplements.

Why? Because it meets their needs. I have my hay analyzed and the ration balancer consistently allows me to fill in the gaps in what the hay can't provide without feeding excessive amounts of concentrate. Flax or the Equi-Omega helps keep their coats shiny, and the vit/min/AA supplement keeps me from having to feed them more concentrate than I want to and still make sure all the nutritional bases are covered.

I have been a mega-supplementer in the past and have never noticed any significant benefit to most of them. Probably even the vit/min I use is superfuous and I could just give them selenium and maybe some extra lysine, but I can't stand piddling around with a million different products and the vit/min/AA stuff covers the bases and is very cost effective and palatable. What they don't need, they pee out, and there's nothing in there that is going to cause problems with a bit of excess.
    Click here before you buy.

Comment

Timothy hay, 2 lbs Strategy twice daily.
      2 lbs soaked beet pulp and 3 carrots at night.

Comment

Mine apparently live on air (and lots of good hay/grass in the summer!):

1 pound of high fat high fibre (2x per day)
        vitamin/mineral supplement (because they don't get much hay)
        1 cup of flax seeds (1x per day)
        vitamin E supplement

A big bucket of alfalfa soup every night (for the water as the alfalfa quantity is less than 1 pound)

Treats include mints, celery, apples, carrots etc.. whatever is handy and horse edible in the fridge. They are both shiny, healthy and barefoot.

Comment

For our 13 y/o full TB who is a moderate-to-hard keeper running 2*/I-A level:

- Free choice grass hay
          - Turnout on grass whenever possible (as little as 6 hours/day as much as 18 hours/day); hay in paddock if no grass available
          - 7.5 pounds Ultium/day, divided into 3 feedings
          - Succeed
          - Quiessence
          - Cosequin ASU

He also has access to a salt lick and gets electrolytes in hot weather/heavy work/competition. He was on flax last season, but he's been doing so well body condition-wise this year that we haven't added it back. He's legging up for the season and looks the best he's ever done.
          Balanced Care Equine

Comment

My guy is an excitable air fern so he gets about a handful of Purina Horseman's Edge. Any more than that and he'd be obese and crazy

He's turned out on grass in the spring/summer/fall anywhere from 8-10 hours a day and gets a mix of 1st and 2nd cut hay in the winter during turnout and all year round in the morning and at night.

He gets StressDex as an electrolyte when he's competing and he's on NeighLox for continuing ulcer prevention all year round.

He also probably gets way more treats than he should But despite being a tad overweight due to limited exercise because of the weather he's healthy, shiny, and happy.

Comment

• Original Poster

10:10 or 10:6 @ JFC?

Comment

• Original Poster

And late, I'm seeing some supplements I thought weren't competition allowed? (Neigh-lox and Quiessence?)

My knowledge is probably outdated.. but, faybe, that's a lot of Ultium! Bet he's working hard for it though.

Comment

For the older guy:
                  .75# Cavalor Strucomix Original
                  1.5# Cavalor Perfomix

For the younger guy:
                  1.5# Cavalor Strucomix Original
                  3# Cavalor Pianissimo
                  Pacific Coast Eventing
                  Standing Yeager GF

Comment

My Brandy girl gets a pound of Triple Crown 30 Ration Balancer and a pound of Triple Crown complete once a day.

Doccie is high maintenance and eats (splint into 2 meals) 1.5 lbs of TC30, 1.5 lbs TC Complete, 1 lb beet pulp no molasses (weighed dry, then soaked), MSM, biotin and is on a 30 day run of high protein supplement to see if we can help him distribute muscle better.

My retired guy, Ari, eats 1lb of TC30 and a bunch of beet pulp with molasses.

All get free choice, high quality hay and have access to excellent pasture.
                    Big Idea Eventing

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by SuZQuzie View Post
                      For the older guy:
                      .75# Cavalor Strucomix Original
                      1.5# Cavalor Perfomix

For the younger guy:
                      1.5# Cavalor Strucomix Original
                      3# Cavalor Pianissimo
                      Where do you get your Cavalor?

Comment

There are a few feed stores that carry Cavalor in my region.
                        Pacific Coast Eventing
                        Standing Yeager GF

Comment

All of ours start with the very best quality hay I can find, currently an orchard light alfalfa mix. They all get beet pulp, no molasses and all but one are on Purina Enrich 32 Ration Balancer.

The one that isn't on ration balancer gets Buckeye EQ8 Gut Health, he is a hard keeper and a picky eater. This stuff he eats.

The only supplement I give is MagRestore to my cushionoid driving pony and the picky eater. Any joint help is given with a needle.

They are all turned out 24/7.
                          www.amiddle-agedmadwomantakesthereins.blogspot.com

www.pegasusridge.com

Comment

Lincoln gets 1/2 lb Blue Seal Performance and 1/2 lb Purina Amplify twice a day along with a pile of hay. I just started him on SmartVite EZ Keeper Grass.
                            The big guy: Lincoln

Southern Maryland Equestrian

Comment

Ugh. Toby, sadly, is NOT an air fern. *knock wood* I think I have feeding him down to a pretty fine art form, since we've been able to maintain a very nice weight since the end of his summer break last fall.

RIGHT NOW, without the galloping and competing, he maintains well on:
                              - All the nice quality timothy hay he can eat, which averages about 20lbs a day, for him. He also has access to fresh pasture, when it's around (he actually has a lot to chew on out his pasture right now, but all of it is dormant). In a perfect world, the hay would be a tim/alf mix (my personal preference for a horse like him), but he's one of a very few in the barn who would benefit...so, he gets straight tim.
                              - 7lbs of Fibergized Omega (he can go down to as little as 4lbs if he's not working, but he's a workaholic, so 6 or 7 is were we typically stay).
                              - 8oz of Cocosoya oil (split between AM and PM)
                              - A little MSM to help with skin inflammation (he's got a host of skin issues. This helps).
                              - A little garlic to help repel ticks and because supposedly it can help with immune system strength, etc (I can hear dw rolling her eyes in MI all the way here in VA! ). The garlic is a VERY old habit, and it DOES help with ticks. I RARELY pick ticks off of him.
                              - His weight in Meadow Mints, carrots, and peppermints. NO APPLES, please.

When we are galloping and competing (kinda sorta prelim level):
                              - He tends to lose interest in hay, especially in the hottest months, so I supplement his forage with chopped alfalfa or alf hay if I can find someone in the barn to share it with. He DOES have great pasture in the warm months, and is out all night, so I don't worry TOO much.
                              - His grain gets bumped to 9lbs, split between 3 meals.
                              - He gets a lot more omeprazole, though that is totally precautionary.
                              - Everything else stays the same. For now.

No joint sups (unless you count the MSM, but that isn't way I feed it). I used to feed digestion sups, but he is on such a high quality feed that also HAS pre and probiotics in it...he doesn't really need anything. I switched from a skin and coat sup to the Cocosoya last year, which helps kill 2 birds with one stone (helps give him more calories without feeding him heaps more of concentrates AND helps his sensitive skin). I don't like to waste a ton on money on sups if I don't really need to. I have a healthy, happy, shiny critter, so we stick, as much as possible, to the KISS philosophy.
                              Amanda

Comment

My boss feeds ADM alliance feeds, so all the horses are on some variation of what my guy gets

AM:
                                1qt Fiber
                                1qt SeniorGlo (not sure exactly why it is senior feed that we feed all the horses but it works)
                                1 scoop EquiPride

PM:
                                1qt Fiber
                                2qt SeniorGlo
                                1qt HealthyGlo (rice bran with added flax)
                                1 scoop EquiPride
                                1 scoop SmartFlex II

They also have free choice hay. My guy has a round bale all night and then when he is in during the day he gets ~2 flakes of hay, sometimes more depending on the day.
                                "I'm too sexy for my blanket, too sexy for my blanket, these mares-they should take it..." (J-Lu) - Featuring The Skypizzle Pony aka Classic Skyline

Comment

My draft cross used to be on Cavalor, which I loved (and he loved, as did my old retired mare) but I can no longer get it locally. If my mare were still alive, I would probably be schlepping to Ocala for it, but since she passed, I decided to go back to his old diet:

AM and PM:
                                  1 pound Seminole Ultra Dynamix
                                  1/4 pound Seminole Ultra Bloom
                                  Gluquestrian joint supplement
                                  Hilton Herbs Bye Bye Itch
                                  Hilton Herbs Hoove and Coat
                                  Smart Muscle
                                  2-3 flakes orchard/alfalfa hay

With his allergies, I need to be careful not to feed him beetpulp or too much flax. The Ultra Bloom is for extra fat to keep him on a EPSM diet. Because of his allergies, this is the best diet that works for him.
                                  Last edited by Lori T; Feb. 14, 2013, 11:43 AM.
                                  Lori T
                                  www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
                                  www.facebook.com/LoriTankelPhotography
                                  www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Comment

Beowulf, I haven't ever found anything about Quiessence being illegal. We feed it as a Mg supplement just to get him to his maintenance needs- I can't remember the GA of magnesium in Ultium (I think I may have had to call and ask and even then it wasn't guaranteed? I want to say it was something like 0.25% but that is pulling deep from my memory and may be wrong), but it wasn't enough for a horse in heavy work (which is something like 1.5-2 times the maintenance requirement, so about 25 mg/kg/day).

Yep, it's a good bit of Ultium, although if you check Purina's feeding recommendations, for his body weight and level of work it's actually slightly less than what he "should" be getting (which is a miracle considering how skinny and hard to keep flesh on he used to be!).

Here he is about two weeks ago, his third jump school of the season. Certainly no chunk!

And of course, that amount does get cut back by 2-3 lbs in the winter when he's not in work.
                                    Balanced Care Equine

Comment

Mine gets lots of high quality grass hay and turn out on grass as much as possible (between 12 and 24 hours a day). Feed:

1/2 to 2 scoops (depending on workload and grass/hay quality) morning and evening of Nutrena High Fat Performance Pellet (love this feed for the TB)

Ration balancer when he is down to 1/2 scoop, otherwise not

Hoof supplement and SmartGut
                                      OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

Tess is on a small amount of soaked beet pulp
                                        1lb of McCauley Brothers M-10 vit.-min. suppliment
                                        1 scoop of Quiessence
                                        1 sm scoop of Probios
                                        1/2 scoop of EquiShure
                                        3/4 scoop of Thyro-L
                                        1 squirt of Hyulan
                                        Free choice Brome hay

These amounts are given 2 times/day, except for the free choice hay and Hyulan.

Tess was a chronic colicer. I have tried many different feeding programs to figure out what would stop her from having so many episodes. This one works for her. I hate feeding suppliments, too. However, if this program works for her, I will keep plunking out the money for them. In the long run, they are cheaper, than hauling her to Rood and Riddle.
                                        When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Comment

Working...
                                        X