• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Has your enjoyment of eventing been affected by horse/rider deaths?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definitely, yes. Used to event and have officiated and volunteered to a fairly high level. I loved the sport and I guess deep down still do.Watching a well ridden Xcountry ride still makes my heart beat a little faster and I still maintain nothing in the other disciplines compares to crossing the finish line after a good run.

However, when I realized that I had great feelings of relief when X country was done and no horse or rider was seriously injured I knew this was no longer a sport for me or my horses.

I will still support it at the lower levels but beyond Training level, sorry, count me out.

Comment

• Originally posted by RAyers View Post
      It takes more courage to pull up and call it a day when things seem out of sorts (even at fence 2). But it is also the wisest form of valor when married with wisdom.

I feel like this has gotten lost along the way. It used to be common to see riders pull-up and it was considered part of the game. It seems much more rare and less accepted, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by VicariousRider
        What I would like to know is where we stand with the research that was being done about cardiac deaths in competing horses.
        We stand in dire need of funding and of a means of monitoring a galloping horse effectively, with equipment that can be accurate and withstand the motion, the fact that the horse is miles away from a computer, gets wet, and is large and hairy. For starters. Surmounting these two huge obstacles would allow us to get STARTED with all the other stuff that needs doing.

1. Why do we keep referring to these types of deaths as "heart attacks"?
        See my lengthy dissertation on the thread with updates on Andrea's condition.

2. What is the major malfunction causing these types of deaths?
        There is no singular etiology. It has been many different sorts of things. We don't have a unifying diagnosis yet. And there may not be.
        Click here before you buy.

Comment

• Originally posted by SevenDogs View Post

I feel like this has gotten lost along the way. It used to be common to see riders pull-up and it was considered part of the game. It seems much more rare and less accepted, IMO.
          I am not sure if this is true around here. I do see people pull up, especially the more experienced riders. It is so often the less experienced who keep going when it looks like things have gone awry. One great example was Sharon White at Rolex last year. Her horse stopped unexpectedly and she decided that she would give up a mighty finish and do what was best by her horse. I've seen others do this as well, sometimes due to problems, sometimes because they do not "need to finish" xc on a horse that is prepping for something much more important.

Comment

• Originally posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
            I am not sure if this is true around here. I do see people pull up, especially the more experienced riders. It is so often the less experienced who keep going when it looks like things have gone awry. One great example was Sharon White at Rolex last year. Her horse stopped unexpectedly and she decided that she would give up a mighty finish and do what was best by her horse. I've seen others do this as well, sometimes due to problems, sometimes because they do not "need to finish" xc on a horse that is prepping for something much more important.
            I hope that's true, but I would also say that Sharon White is a true old school horsewoman and it doesn't surprise me to see her make that kind of decision. She (and others like her) haven't always been rewarded for putting their horses first, particularly in the old coaching regime.

I also find it annoying when riders cite that they are pulling up because it will be a "non-qualifying ride". Perhaps it is splitting hairs, but you should be pulling up because the ride is not going well and you want everyone to come home safe to play another day. I know the outcome is the same, but it sends the wrong message and I seem to hear it more and more.

Comment

• I think we still see a number of Rs.

However, back in the day, before fall of rider was E, and before the cumulative stops rules, it took more trouble on course to get an E. Lots of people retired after issues that today would automatically be an E.

Comment

• I really wish people would stop viewing eventing 20/30/40+ years ago with rose colored glasses. Do I think the long format was great for the horses? YES! I wish we still had endurance days and I wish people still had to condition their horses the way they did. But the sport was NOT safer then. Course design has come a long way. They are now trying to help the horses learn and make them more confident. They should be more educated when they cross the finish flags than they were at the start box. Back then it was just a matter of if you got around, no matter how dangerous or sloppy it was. There were also not fewer accidents back then, you just didn't hear about them as often or as rapidly as we do today.

Watch these videos and then tell me that you would like the sport to go back to that:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31dlhFlgmbA
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgPuXg75ISk
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZdRaGC7HU0

There was also a great Ledyard video from 1975 that unfortunately will no longer play on YouTube.

Regardless of the falls and accidents in those videos, look at the course design. People say today's combinations are twisty and trappy (which I do sometimes agree with) but look at the combinations then! There was a lot of face yanking, stopping, kicking going on to get where they needed to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                  Can you please define a "tizzy"? Because I'm not seeing anything that would be called a "tizzy" here. People are speculating, asking hard questions, raising concerns that are at least worth talking about (even if they turn out to be irrelevant as further information comes forward) but I haven't seen a tizzy yet, other than when trolls from other disciplines wander over to spew.
                  I must have read at least 3 or 4 judgey-pants posts wondering what on earth a 7yo was doing running around intermediate, implying that inexperience caused the fall. Not going to go back and quote them all, but they are there (see post from Frittskitt as an example). Horses learn and come along at dramatically different rates. I have a coming 7yo with all the scope but not always the best technique, so the fences stay lower until he figures it out. But trainer also has another 2 horses who were getting good, consistent placings at 1.45m and local GP at age 7, and were totally ready for it. It's all about knowing the horse.

I do hope you aren't calling me a troll from another discipline, I've said many times I evented through prelim back in the dark ages of the 90s, then did h/j for a few years, then back to eventing for a couple of years in the mid-2000s. Until I saw a XC fall that resulted in rider death that scared the pants off me. Not that it doesn't happen in h/j, either, there are always going to be freak accidents anywhere. I'm just older and chicken-er and prefer to stack the deck in my favor as much as possible.

Comment

• Nope, you weren't who I was thinking of when I mentioned trolls. I still fail to see how a few people wondering "out loud" if age 7 was too inexperienced for Intermediate is tantamount to a "tizzy". It certainly crossed my mind, and I was satisfied with the explanations provided by people that know far better than I. *shrug*

In fact, given the fact that this is now known to have been some sort of cardiac event, I am right back to wondering in my head what relevance the horse's age might have? Still not having a tizzy about it, though. Just running possibilities through my head. That's OK, is it not?
                    Click here before you buy.

Comment

• If you had unlimited funds and unlimited access to information, I'd want to look at everything from breeding, to training, to time at levels, to supplement and feed, to vet procedures, to track medications in OTTB's, etc.

It would also be helpful if you could do a prospective study on a group of horses over a 5 year period.

Comment

• Originally posted by SevenDogs View Post
                        I hope that's true, but I would also say that Sharon White is a true old school horsewoman and it doesn't surprise me to see her make that kind of decision. She (and others like her) haven't always been rewarded for putting their horses first, particularly in the old coaching regime.

I also find it annoying when riders cite that they are pulling up because it will be a "non-qualifying ride". Perhaps it is splitting hairs, but you should be pulling up because the ride is not going well and you want everyone to come home safe to play another day. I know the outcome is the same, but it sends the wrong message and I seem to hear it more and more.
                        Sharon is a great role model (she is my trainer) and a terrific inspiration for all, imo.

As far as people pulling up when things are going well... I have no problem with that. I've seen BNR's take out 4* horses and do dressage, show jumping, and a few xc fences, usually through a first water complex, and call it a day. It is all about fine tuning for the upcoming events and there's nothing better than doing a "real" competition as preparation. But there's no reason to add the entire xc course into the mix. I would do this if I were really serious (like I would go to SP I and do a few of the xc fences and call it a day). But in the end, I am really just out there to play. I can't bear the thought of pulling up early on xc and putting my toys away to go home.

Comment

• Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                          We stand in dire need of funding and of a means of monitoring a galloping horse effectively, with equipment that can be accurate and withstand the motion, the fact that the horse is miles away from a computer, gets wet, and is large and hairy. For starters. Surmounting these two huge obstacles would allow us to get STARTED with all the other stuff that needs doing.

See my lengthy dissertation on the thread with updates on Andrea's condition.

There is no singular etiology. It has been many different sorts of things. We don't have a unifying diagnosis yet. And there may not be.
                          Delta: Thanks for your thoughtful answer. I found your comments on the other thread and that is why I deleted my comment on this thread. I hear what you are saying and I hope we can put some priority on this issue.
                          "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Comment

• I too have seen a generous number of ULR pull up when the ride just wasn't going well, the horse was tired, etc. Becky Holder pulled her horse after one stop at the water running Advanced at CHP while I was walking my course a few years ago. That's just the first one that comes to mind, but there have been many more. I've done it and although was a bit irked at first, I knew I did the right thing and felt good about it.

I honestly do not and cannot subscribe to this notion that the sport causes more damage today than it does 20 years ago or whatever. The videos are out there. I and many others watched it in person. There just wasn't an interwebz.
                            Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                            We Are Flying Solo

Comment

• JFCeventer-thanks for those videos! I knew the rider could continue after falling, but I didn't realize you could continue if your *horse* fell. Some of those horses took really nasty falls, I can't imagine expecting them to continue after they have a rotational fall!

Comment

• Original Poster

Without statistics and with the change of formats, it's difficult to compare the dangers of the sport and horse/rider injuries/deaths over the years.

As I mentioned in a previous post, today we have media platforms that allow us to hear about and see accidents almost instantaneously.

However, whether the dangers are the same or greater nowadays, I still am having problems accepting these as the norm for eventing. And since many individuals seem to be okay with this norm, it does make me question supporting eventing at the upper levels.

I also believe that many facets that have always been part of eventing have grown into bigger issues than in the past (as in, all the following examples are not unique to today's time but are much more prevalent). For example, professionals are developing eventing into a sport whereby they make a living--correct me I am wrong, but this hasn't always been a sport that created that niche for many aspiring professionals.

These professionals, in order to make a living, need clients that are dependent on them for coaching, training, horses, transportation, etc. Much like the h/j system. This living is supplemented by selling horses for top prices--and perhaps a reason why the horses are moved up the levels more quickly--in order to get top dollar. And then these horses are often bought by individuals that may not be skilled enough to ride at that level, but with enough help from a trainer and the horse, they make do.

Without the conditioning needed for the long format, less time is needed in the saddle, or the job of conditioning is left to assistants or working students. Most training is focused on dressage and show jumping as it is almost impossible to school upper level cross country courses--you need the adrenaline and warm-up at an event to prepare the horses for the questions they will be facing. In addition, to increase income, pros are riding a greater number of horses--it is not surprising to see them with anywhere from 6 to 10 rides at an event.

Back in the day, a successful horse and rider team were celebrated and a person's name was synonymous with his or her horse. Now, other than a few instances, very few upper levels riders are one-horse riders--they need the string of upper levels horses. When I think of Winsome Adante, Biko, Custom Made, Giltedge, Poggio...it makes me realize that those kind of unique horses don't exist anymore in the crowded strings of today. The riders are the ones who we are familiar with and unless we keep a list of mounts, it's anyone's guess as to which horse will last long enough to make it to the "top."

To improve the dressage and show jumping, a different horse is coming to the forefront of eventing; the horses of days past--the tough TB and Irish types that had a unique sense of self preservation and the priceless "fifth" leg--are being seen less and less. Without the need for stamina and endurance, these horses of yesterday put the rider at a disadvantage because they cannot necessarily perform the brilliant dressage needed for today's eventing.

With the loss of land, eventers ride out less and less. The short format has helped cater to this. The horses are too expensive and "breakable" to be out fox hunting, trail riding, and learning how to handle terrain. Instead they are ridden in manicured rings and aerated cross country courses that don't have a rock out of place.

We've created a sport that is so carefully crafted now that when things go awry, many horses and riders don't know what to do.

What I've outlined above is a very broad generalization and does not apply to every horse/rider out there at the upper levels. But I think we can all agree that this is not the sport of years past, and the sport was definitely not perfect back in those days. But with the influx of money and attention, one would hope the sport would be becoming safer for horses and riders and I just don't see that happening.

Comment

• KellyS, I completely agree with you. Eventing used to be about the relationship between horse and rider, usually formed during the long hours spent on fitness training. The sport is no longer focused on that relationship with much money spent on strings of horses. For me, I am on hiatus as I am between horses. When I get another horse that can jump, I may play at eventing, but I doubt it will be a focus for me. Fox hunting is much more likely.

Comment

• I agree Kelly, that "Without statistics and with the change of formats, it's difficult to compare the dangers of the sport and horse/rider injuries/deaths over the years." I would love to see the stats on this.

There seems to be a prevailing opinion, especially among a certain following on FB, that horses are lasting longer and that our courses are less forgiving. I just don't know if this is true. I question whether this is true.

Most likely, horses are competed a LOT more now than in days past. Here in the east, it is not uncommon to see a horse competed February through November, with little to no break in the summer, whereas I think that in years past, they had much more time off. So in addition to age, perhaps it would be useful to see the number of events completed.

I for one would probably compete more and over a longer season, if I could afford to do so. But as an amateur with a full time job, I cannot be in Ocala or Aiken, January through March. I have to settle for conditioning and training in a colder environment and starting my season later. Would I be there if I could be? You bet! I so so would love to be in Aiken right now, with a string of horses!

I totally do not buy the idea that our sport is less safe than it was in years past.

And as much as I mourn the disappearance of the long format, I suspect that horses can do more events and last longer now. That is taking into account age, #events competed, and all the other factors that could be influential.

I love to think about the "good old days," and I am certainly old enough to be able to do that. But I am not sure they were that "good" for our safety or the well-being of our horses. While I have great respect for the experts who question this, I also believe the jury is still out.

Comment

• Kelly, I think you make a great point that whether or not the sport is safer in than it was 20 years ago is not so much the question, as to whether it is safe enough now. Why would we assume that the 90s were safe enough just because they are past?

I also really lament the "industrialization" of eventing, the ammy/pro polarization, the "programs" that most of us can't afford, the loss of the really special 3-day partnerships.

That said I'm not convinced that it has created less prepared riders. Again, debating whether the un or undercoached riders of yore were better/worse than the overcoached riders today may not have much to do with the accidents at the very top levels.

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm very curious about the supposition that horses have longer careers with the short format because I'm having a hard time coming up with names of horses that have HAD long careers at the top level since the short format's debut in 2004.

Just using the names of the horses from my previous post that were stars during the last of the long format years, here are the minimum years they spent at the upper levels and competitions they competed in:

Winsome Adante: His career spanned at least over 7 years at the upper levels and his top placings included:
                                        Winner of the 2001 Blenheim Horse Trials
                                        Winner of the 2002 Rolex Kentucky CCI****
                                        Individual 6th place and Team Gold at the World Equestrian Games in Jerez, Spain
                                        Winner of the 2004 Rolex Kentucky CCI****
                                        Winner of the individual silver and team bronze medal at the Athens Olympics in 2004
                                        Winner of the 2005 Rolex Kentucky CCI****
                                        3rd at the 2007 Badminton Horse Trials CCI****

Biko: His career spanned at least over 8 years at the upper levels and his top placings included:
                                        1999 12th, Badminton Three-day Event CCI****
                                        1998 5th, Rolex Kentucky Three-day Event CCI****
                                        1997 7th, Fair Hill International Three-day Event CCI***
                                        1996 Team Silver, 18th Individually Atlanta Olympic Games (CCI****); 2nd, Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event (Advanced)
                                        1995 8th, European Three-day Championships CCI*** (Best US horse); 3rd Badminton Three-Day Event CCI****
                                        1994 11th, Individually at the 1994 FEI World Equestrian Games (CCI****)
                                        1993 6th, Blenheim Audi International Horse Trials CCI***
                                        1992 3rd, Loughanmore 3-Day CCI**; 6th Essex Three-Day Event CCI*
                                        1991 3rd, Radnor Hunt International Three-Day Event CCI*

Custom Made: His career spanned at least over 8 years at the upper levels and his top placings included:
                                        1st, Fair Hill International Three-day Event CCI ***
                                        2001 3rd, Kentucky Three-day Event CCI ****
                                        2000 Indiv gold, Olympic Games; 6th. Kentucky Three-day Event CCI ****
                                        1999 4th, Blenheim Three-day Event CCI ***
                                        1997 1st, Badminton Three-day Event CCI ****
                                        1996 5th indiv, Olympic Games; 3rd, Badminton Three-day Event CCI ****
                                        1995 1st, Kentucky Three-Day Event CCI ***

Giltedge: His career spanned at least over 8 years at the upper levels and his top placings included:
                                        2002 Team Gold World Equestrian Games, Jerez, Spain
                                        2001 1st, Rolex Kentucky CCI****
                                        2000 Team Bronze Olympic Games
                                        1999 Team Gold, Individual Silver Pan American Games
                                        1998 Team Bronze, 6th World Equestrian Games, Rome, Italy
                                        1997 1st, Fair Hill CCI***; 3rd, Punchestwon CCI***
                                        1996 Team Silver Olympic Games, Atlanta, Georgia
                                        1995 1st, Fair Hill CCI***

Poggio: His career spanned at least over 9 years at the upper levels and he competed at (I couldn't find a competition record easily so this it what I found in a COTH article):
                                        2008 Beijing Olympic Games
                                        2006 World Equestrian Games
                                        2004 Athens Olympic Games
                                        2002 World Equestrian Games
                                        1999 Pan American Games

This is just a small selection of the horses that were household names and whose names were just as important as their riders'.

Are there any horses out there currently that have had this upper level success for close to these lengths of time since the inception of the short format? The horses above certainly had long careers during the long format days and they are just a tiny sampling. There are, of course, many horses that were injured during those same years, but we are in the same situation now.

Comment

• Original Poster

I think it was Amy Tryon who said (at one of the USEA conventions where the short format was debated) that the new format would make the horses STARS. I beg to differ, this format has made the riders STARS. Not the horses.

Comment

Working...
                                          X