• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Where to Find Responsible, Reliable Live-in Barn/Farm Manager

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was also confused about the distraction concern if the worker had their own horse elsewhere. Workers are entitled to time off to do as they please. I know one barn manager whose employer expects him to drop everything when he is 'off' to come hook up their trailer, or pick them up when they've drunk too much.

If you're looking for an experienced worker who doesn't ride, are you near any areas where any expatriate Amish or Mennonite youngsters might gather?

Jennifer
    Third Charm Event Team

Comment

As someone who has hired for non-horse related positions, I have found age and experience to be over-rated! Honesty, work ethic, and character are key. We lucked into our best employee because he had interned with a colleague. We would have never hired him based on his resume. Good luck!

Comment

I believe strongly, along with others upthread, that you would widen your pool of applicants by being more flexible with the perks. Pasture board or a shared stall so employee could have a horse. Or heck, it is possible you might get someone who enjoys horses but does not want to compete if s/he could at least do some light hacking on your retirees. You want a horsey person to come and be knowledgeable and responsible - but not get to enjoy even recreational riding? And then you add that you are not happy with him or her even going somewhere to ride during off hours? How many horsemen are going to want that gig? You may well find another great person but I think you are making it hard for anyone to find the position attractive.

I do not mean at all to sound harsh but I am trying to convey how very, very unappealing your offer sounds, esp when you hint at not giving any true time off - time when you will not wonder at all what the person is doing and judging whether she is committed or not. After all, you are wanting time off yourself, hence your desire to hire someone, so it seems reasonable that even a BM would need some time off, too.
        Last edited by Rallycairn; Feb. 8, 2013, 11:22 PM.
        If thou hast a sorrow, tell it not to the arrow, tell it to thy saddlebow, and ride on, singing. -- King Alfred the Great

Comment

You want someone very experienced with horses but expect them not to ride. Ever. Not on your property, or off.

You have just 7 horses on 40 acres but 'logistically' there is no way you can put another horse on the property? Not even pasture board. Really.

Your expectations sound kind of control-freaky and I would be leery of taking such a gig, personally.

Comment

Try this site. They post positions from all over the world. It is worth taking a look. www.caretaker.org/

Comment

Originally posted by whitewolfe001 View Post
              You want someone very experienced with horses but expect them not to ride. Ever. Not on your property, or off.

You have just 7 horses on 40 acres but 'logistically' there is no way you can put another horse on the property? Not even pasture board. Really.

Your expectations sound kind of control-freaky and I would be leery of taking such a gig, personally.
              ^
              AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

As other posters have stated, I think you are going to have to be quite patient in finding someone who meets your expectations on age, experience and expertise who does not want to ride. I know you are not looking for input on the position you offer, but I do think that particular detail (very limited options for having a personal horse) is likely a major reason that you are having such a difficult time filling the position. I have known people in the industry that would enjoy the position you describe, however they are few and far between. You will have to be patient.

Are you offering housing as part of your position? If the heavy physical labor is minimal, maybe try to network with some retired trainers- I know a few managers/caretakers who spent most of their lives training racehorses or sporthorses and are very knowledgeable and happy to spend time with the horses.

Comment

www.whinny.org

Comment

• Original Poster

I appreciate everyone's input but, as is often the case with these things, this thread has gotten somewhat off topic. The position is for a full time employee, which means 8 hours a day working on the farm. What they do with their time off is their business and if they want to ride during that time we'd be happy for them to do so. I don't know why some of you seem to think we don't want them to ride. They can do whatever they want on their own time. We just don't have a suitable horse for them to ride nor do we have room for their horse on our farm. We'd much prefer a happy employee than an unhappy one. If the position was a part time one, I would have absolutely no qualms with them riding on their own time during the day. But, just like I can't take 1 1/2 hours off from my day job in the middle of the day to go do something fun I expect my full time employee to put in their 8 hours as well. I don't think expecting a full day's work for a full day's wage is expecting too much but then maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Calling me control-freaky without knowing the facts is a bit childish and unfair. Since the thread was not intended to be about the position, I did not include all the information relevant to it, such as the number of paid vacation and sick days provided, the fact that a 2,000 sq.ft. non-shared living accommodation is provided, the fact that we have tried to connect a previous worker with a local FEI rider and instructor for lessons on her day off, the fact that we are willing to move our horse's day off to another day of the week to allow our employee to take lessons at another farm on a day when they are giving lessons, the fact that last year we worked on Thanksgiving so our employee could spend time with her family (who, by the way, we've had as dinner guests in our house), the fact that our wage package is worth over $35,000 a year, etc.

We are not horrible, uncaring, overly demanding people as some have suggested. All I was doing was was simply asking for other places to look for people who wanted horse related jobs. I was not interested in discussing the job we were seeking to fill. If that had been the purpose of the post I would have included background information pertinent to that discussion. I assume most of the posters above were responding in good faith but some of the more personal and petty responses did get a bit tiresome. Rant over.

P.S. The "distraction" comment had to do with taking time off during the required and agreed to work day to do personal things (i.e., riding) rather than doing their personal things on their own
                    time.

Comment

OP, Human Resources is part of my job. I think I see where people didn't understand what you meant: Post 29 is the first time you've mentioned that this is an 8 hour a day job. The vacation relief/ distraction comments early on (which to many people = on call for far more than one shift of 3) and not mentioning the 8 hour/day part is probably where people confused this with a 'live in on-call' arrangement.

Specifying it's a regular work shift makes things much clearer. Good luck with your search!
                      HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
                      www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Comment

To OP: Your offer sounds wonderful and sounds like you have been pretty helpful with your workers finding ways to ride, etc. Even with knowing all the wonderful things about the job I still find the comments about person riding at a neighboring farm might be distracting and your unwillingness to even address possible pasture board for a worker a little inflexible. From what you indicated this is a live in arrangement (and a very nice one at that) so that would mean more than likely the person is at the facility a lot even when not "on the clock." Inevitably that leads to the person helping out with things that just happen, just the nature of life on a farm. So here is where I am confused. I work part time at barn with twice as many horses and there are clearly "peak" times that work must be done. So assuming with this nice compensation package the person has no other job I am trying to figure out how taking an 1 1/2 to ride in the middle of the day would distract from the 8 hours the worker puts in? For instance feed horses at 7 am, clean stalls, scrub water troughs/buckets, clean tack, etc. For 7 horses, stalls, even with grooming, fly spray, blankets I am pretty sure I could get this done by noon. So I take a break from noon to 2 and grab a bit to eat and go ride my horse at the neighboring barn. I come back at 2 pm and clean tack, fill shavings, drag arena, etc, whatever chores need to be done. Feed the horses at 5 pm, again grooming, blanketing, etc. as needed. Done by 6 pm. So by this calculation I have actually put in 9 hours and still had time to ride my own horse, doesn't this make sense? I am sorry not trying to over analyze but still feel like I am missing something and quite honestly I bet you would have some superb candidates if you could be a little more flexible on the horse thing.

I do want to add that I understand on certain days it might not be possible to take an extended break such as when the farrier is there or hay is being delivered but I would suspect on most days a 2 hour break in the middle of the day would be a suitable thing.
                        Last edited by bizbachfan; Feb. 12, 2013, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X