• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Pennsylvania working student positions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pennsylvania working student positions

    Anybody know of any good trainers offering working student positions in eventing and/or hunter/jumper? Let me know of anyone you can think of, thanks!

  • #2
    My dear girl, why are you asking the same questions repeatedly?

    You seem very excited and full of enthusiasm (and that is all well and good) but you really must get a grip on yourself and realize that the SAME people are seeing all of these threads you are starting, asking about the SAME thing.

    ETA You are posting on a BB who's membership is primarily adult, not "teenage". Do you understand this? If not, then it is time for you to realize that fact and "think before you speak".

    Most every adult on this BB was a horse loving kid. We do understand your enthusiasm and many of us are glad that the internet did not exist when we were young because it is easy to make yourself look like an idiot,especially when you are young.

    That said.. Carefully read the answers that have already been given to you (by some very experienced and successful adults in the business).
    Last edited by skydy; Feb. 6, 2013, 02:09 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      http://yardandgroom.com/

      Comment

      • Original Poster

        #4
        Originally posted by skydy View Post
        My dear girl, why are you asking the same questions repeatedly?

        You seem very excited and full of enthusiasm (and that is all well and good) but you really must get a grip on yourself and realize that the SAME people are seeing all of these threads you are starting, asking about the SAME thing.

        ETA You are posting on a BB who's membership is primarily adult, not "teenage". Do you understand this? If not, then it is time for you to realize that fact and "think before you speak".

        Most every adult on this BB was a horse loving kid. We do understand your enthusiasm and many of us are glad that the internet did not exist when we were young because it is easy to make yourself look like an idiot,especially when you are young.

        That said.. Carefully read the answers that have already been given to you (by some very experienced and successful adults in the business).
        Sorry, but I am only asking for the names of some respected trainers in PA. I'm not asking how to make it or whatever. I just am asking for some references because nobody has mentioned anyone from PA, and I have only researched a few. Yes, I am enthusiastic. Thanks for your help.

        Comment


        • #5
          Sally Cousins
          Sally Lofting
          Ryan woods
          Courtney Cooper
          Susie Beale
          Jane Sleeper
          Molly Rosen..? Married name
          Erin Sylvester
          Tara Ziegler

          The list s of eventing trainers in PA is huge and endless and repeated on here many many times if you just do a thread search.......

          Comment


          • #6
            I have to second the sentiment a bit. Enthusiasm is good. Inability to successfully use the internet to do some of your own research instead of just asking on a bulletin board makes me wonder how much work ethic and ability to get things done there is backing up the enthusiasm

            Originally posted by judybigredpony View Post
            Sally Cousins
            Sally Lofting
            Ryan woods
            Courtney Cooper
            Susie Beale
            Jane Sleeper
            Molly Rosen..? Married name
            Erin Sylvester
            Tara Ziegler
            Molly Kinnamon is Molly Rosin's new name

            Also, look here for a list of Area II trainers: http://usea2.net/ads/index.php?id=3
            working student positions do get posted: http://usea2.net/ads/index.php?id=38

            In addition, there are: Dom and Jimmie Schramm, Justine Dutton, Shelley Heckles, Kate Hicks, Doug King (h/j), Tom Geno (h/j) and I'm sure dozens of others I've missed.
            OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

            Comment


            • #7
              Adding to the list

              Phillip Dutton
              Boyd Martin
              Bruce Davidson

              Dozen more lesser known (the ones listed are mostly 3* and 4* level riders).

              If you expand to within 3.5 hours....you hit a lot of people in MD, Northern VA and NJ. EVERYTHING is pretty darn close out here. From West Grove, PA (Where Phillip is and near Boyd and most of those listed) you are 3 hours to DC and NYC (obviously going different directions)...so you can get to a lot in this general area. But the largest concentration are in Southern Chester County, PA, parts of Maryland, and Middleburg/Northern VA (with a scattering of eventers in NJ--but a lot more H/J up there...you are less than 2 hours to the NJ Horse Park where the Jersey Fresh CCI is held from West Grove, P...so NJ has a lot as well).




              If you start adding in Dressage...the list expands. Also lots of racing barns and fox hunting.
              ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

              Comment


              • #8
                So, I'm going to assume you probably haven't talked to your trainer about this yet? I'm sure she would be able to recommend people well suited for your goals if she thought you could do it, or knew you were even planning on doing this...
                Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

                Comment


                • #9
                  OP, asking if we know any good eventers in Pennsylvania is kind of like asking "Anybody know any good racing barns in Lexington KY?" or maybe "Big-name hunter trainers in New Jersey?" or "rice farms in China?"

                  Questions like that make me wonder about the level of your exposure to the horse world. It's hard to know who to recommend to you: if you're a walk-trot phenom at a local stable, it's quite a bit different than if you've worked with problem horses, or trained one up the levels, or done some substantial jumping.

                  Comment

                  • Original Poster

                    #10
                    Thanks for all the names. I will look into these. I actually do have a long list, scubed, of trainers I have looked up myself. I live close to Pennslyvania, though, so I wanted more options from that state than what I found, and I respect the COTH horsemen/horsewomen. If you guys don't want me to ask for your opinions or help anymore, I won't.

                    Comment

                    • Original Poster

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Kadenz View Post
                      OP, asking if we know any good eventers in Pennsylvania is kind of like asking "Anybody know any good racing barns in Lexington KY?" or maybe "Big-name hunter trainers in New Jersey?" or "rice farms in China?"

                      Questions like that make me wonder about the level of your exposure to the horse world. It's hard to know who to recommend to you: if you're a walk-trot phenom at a local stable, it's quite a bit different than if you've worked with problem horses, or trained one up the levels, or done some substantial jumping.
                      I haven't had much exposure to the industry at all. I show locally in hunter shows, and have never been to other stables. I ride 2 foot at shows, and train young horses as well. Unless that is what you consider a "walk-trot phenomenon". Haven't been there since I was a young kid..

                      Comment

                      • Original Poster

                        #12
                        Originally posted by GingerJumper View Post
                        So, I'm going to assume you probably haven't talked to your trainer about this yet? I'm sure she would be able to recommend people well suited for your goals if she thought you could do it, or knew you were even planning on doing this...
                        Nope, my trainer grew up in the race world. She rode cross country but that's it for Eventing. Besides google, I'm completely dependent on all of you for information.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Horserider15 View Post
                          Thanks for all the names. I will look into these. I actually do have a long list, scubed, of trainers I have looked up myself. I live close to Pennslyvania, though, so I wanted more options from that state than what I found, and I respect the COTH horsemen/horsewomen. If you guys don't want me to ask for your opinions or help anymore, I won't.

                          You are in Ohio right?....not really close to the part of PA you want. Most of the eventing, dressage and showing is in the Southeast part of the state. PA is a LONG state. I live in the area you would want to be and where most listed off are....and it takes me close to 6 hours to get to Ohio. I drive to Detroit (well north west of Detroit) each year to see family and over half my drive is still in PA...it takes me about 11+ hours with 6+ of that in PA!

                          You are probably closer to people in KY than in PA! And as close to those in VA.
                          Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Feb. 6, 2013, 06:01 PM.
                          ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Horserider15 View Post
                            I haven't had much exposure to the industry at all. I show locally in hunter shows, and have never been to other stables. I ride 2 foot at shows, and train young horses as well. Unless that is what you consider a "walk-trot phenomenon". Haven't been there since I was a young kid..
                            Sorry but showing 2' isn't very high. You would be better off not going to a BNT right now. Definately not a Phillip, Boyd or Bruce level.

                            I think you would get more out of going to a smaller operation. Someone who is still very good though.

                            2' hunters isn't going to give you much of a base to help you with eventing. It is a start.....but it is hard to say how good you are at that level. Do you have your own horse?
                            ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Besides google, I'm completely dependent on all of you for information.
                              Oh, dear. What sort of leg work have you done to further your ambitions? Volunteered at an event? Worked at the track? Barn sitting? Can you hitch up and drive a trailer? Set jumps at clinics with event or H/J trainers?

                              Area 8 website is s good suggestion to look for ideas to broaden your current scope a bit.
                              Click here before you buy.

                              Comment

                              • Original Poster

                                #16
                                Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                                Oh, dear. What sort of leg work have you done to further your ambitions? Volunteered at an event? Worked at the track? Barn sitting? Can you hitch up and drive a trailer? Set jumps at clinics with event or H/J trainers?

                                Area 8 website is s good suggestion to look for ideas to broaden your current scope a bit.
                                Well, over the summer I shadowed a Dressage trainer, and I helped her out in exchange for a lesson. I only got 1 lesson, and she teaches hunters at another barn so I got a lesson over there....I work at another barn where I muck stalls/do chores....I ride 4-5 days a week at least on a bunch of different horses...people ask me to show there horses over the summer....I volunteered at one show...go to the Equine Affair. But other than that, everything is so far away from me, driving wise. (I'm in Ohio) Cleveland is one way and Pittsburgh is the over, each about an hour. But I have been saving for a car so this summer I hope to be able to take myself to some clinics and maybe some "A" shows to watch at least, offer to groom or braid...but thank you for the suggestion, I will check it out.

                                Comment

                                • Original Poster

                                  #17
                                  Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                                  Sorry but showing 2' isn't very high. You would be better off not going to a BNT right now. Definately not a Phillip, Boyd or Bruce level.

                                  I think you would get more out of going to a smaller operation. Someone who is still very good though.

                                  2' hunters isn't going to give you much of a base to help you with eventing. It is a start.....but it is hard to say how good you are at that level. Do you have your own horse?
                                  I know, it's not very high at all. I've jumped 4 ft on the horses that are able to do that. But the barn where I ride doesn't have those types of horses come in very often, we can't afford it. I do have my own horse, who I was showing at the 2ft level. He was still young himself. But he recently came up with dry hocks, and I will never be able to afford to take him to the height that I would like to go without a lameness. So I have decided to sell him in order to buy myself a car to take me around to some new barns, clinics, exc. So right now I am showing young OTTBs in the cross-rail classes at shows. It's all I can do right now. But I get payed to do it.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    If you're between Cleveland and Pittsburgh you must be close to South Farm, which has a number of shows and HT every year. Stone Gate Farm is also not very far. Have you checked out those places?
                                    Click here before you buy.

                                    Comment

                                    • Original Poster

                                      #19
                                      Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                                      You are in Ohio right?....not really close to the part of PA you want. Most of the eventing, dressage and showing is in the Southeast part of the state. PA is a LONG state. I live in the area you would want to be and where most listed off are....and it takes me close to 6 hours to get to Ohio. I drive to Detroit (well north west of Detroit) each year to see family and over half my drive is still in PA...it takes me about 11+ hours with 6+ of that in PA!

                                      You are probably closer to people in KY than in PA! And as close to those in VA.
                                      I know, I could never afford to drive that far. I am looking into this for an opportunity after I am done with high school and before I go to college. I graduate next spring, 2014. I'm in northeast Ohio, but I would be looking for a live-in situation at a stable, possibly. Do you think that VA is closer that PA for me?

                                      Comment

                                      • Original Poster

                                        #20
                                        Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                                        You are in Ohio right?....not really close to the part of PA you want. Most of the eventing, dressage and showing is in the Southeast part of the state. PA is a LONG state. I live in the area you would want to be and where most listed off are....and it takes me close to 6 hours to get to Ohio. I drive to Detroit (well north west of Detroit) each year to see family and over half my drive is still in PA...it takes me about 11+ hours with 6+ of that in PA!

                                        You are probably closer to people in KY than in PA! And as close to those in VA.
                                        I know, I could never afford to drive that far. I am looking into this for an opportunity after I am done with high school and before I go to college. I graduate next spring, 2014. I'm in northeast Ohio, but I would be looking for a live-in situation at a stable, possibly. Do you think that VA is closer that PA for me?

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X