• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Gray OTTBs ....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have wondered the same thing. Since I have know THREE greys who died from melanoma (oh and I'm not a grooming nazi), I don't even look at them. Yes, that dark dapply phase is pretty, but they will all eventually turn white or near white as time goes by, so I'm not sure -- well, wait, yes, I am, people are weird.
    Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
    We Are Flying Solo

Comment

This is random and has no scientific bearing, just my observation, but interesting nonetheless....

Growing up we had only grey horses. One polish arab mare, one morab gelding, and one quarter horse. Zero developed melanomas. However, I've seen plenty of melanomas, but it has always been on TBs. Granted, TBs were very common - meaning, it's not like I saw a lot of grey pasos to compare with - but I just thought that was interesting. I've known more grey arabs and grey TBs than any other grey horses and, hands down, the TBs were the ones with the melanomas.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
      Final Furlong Racehorse Retirement

Comment

Originally posted by Fractious Fox View Post
        This is random and has no scientific bearing, just my observation, but interesting nonetheless....

Growing up we had only grey horses. One polish arab mare, one morab gelding, and one quarter horse. Zero developed melanomas. However, I've seen plenty of melanomas, but it has always been on TBs. Granted, TBs were very common - meaning, it's not like I saw a lot of grey pasos to compare with - but I just thought that was interesting. I've known more grey arabs and grey TBs than any other grey horses and, hands down, the TBs were the ones with the melanomas.

That would be interesting if there was any correlation. Perhaps there is a common ancestor at work if that is true?
        "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
        "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

Comment

Of the several that I've known...only one was a TB. I've know ponies, WB, and mutts who had them. I think the chestnut based v. black based is probably a stronger connection as I've known a Chestnut who had melanomas.
          ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Originally posted by chism View Post
            Not to mention the melanoma issue with grays...who wants to deal with that?
            I had a gray OTTB who lived to be 28, competed into his 20s, became a therapy horse. And yeah, he eventually developed a melanoma, but at an advanced age.

The FUGLY fleabitten gray pony who taught me to jump (and to hold reins short while mounting to avoid ass-bites) lived to be somewhere far north of 40-- too mean to die.

I know that statistic is not the plural of anecdote, but it's not like all grays or even most succumb.

Just like all appaloosas don't go blind, all mares aren't bitchy, etc.

I have one and I have to admit I have the gray horse bug, entirely because of that fine guy way back when -- but don't mean to be defensive at all. That being said, I haven't bought a gray since I was 15, have loved the bays and chestnuts in my life, and wouldn't have bought my horse if I didn't love everything else about her (you can't ride the big ears, either, but boy are they charming).

Shopping by color is ill advised, particularly if you are looking for a made horse. But with so many high-quality young ex-racehorses out there, if you have a color preference you can indulge it. FWIW I didn't pay a color premium for my horse. If I had, I'd want a refund because she does her best to turn herself dun every time she's turned out. In fact, I get so tired of scrubbing the mud off I am considering just taking a sharpie and giving her a dorsal stripe.
            Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
            Ms. Brazil

Comment

Gr8, how is Brazil doing? You should start a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by magicteetango View Post
                Gr8, how is Brazil doing? You should start a blog!
                She is the super-coolest girl ever. Unfortunately for me (not for her) I went from one part-time day job to a full-time job AND teaching a college course, so my big plans to ride her a lot have been put on the back burner and I put her in full training. My trainer went to Florida, so Ms. B got an all-expenses paid (by me ) trip down there. She is doing her job well and likes xc very much.

She is doing her first HT the first weekend in March and I am heading down there to groom, cheer, and take pix, which I will post.
                Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
                Ms. Brazil

Comment

Originally posted by gr8fulrider View Post
                  I know that statistic is not the plural of anecdote, but it's not like all grays or even most succumb.

Just like all appaloosas don't go blind, all mares aren't bitchy, etc.
                  Actually, the lifetime risk of grays developing melanomas IS extremely high. The question is often not if, but when, and whether something else gets them first; this is especially true for horses that are black-based and homozygous for Gr. Unfortunately, the genetic change that causes coat graying is the exact same genetic change that causes the melanomas.

And actually, all appaloosas homozygous for the Lp "leopard pattern" gene DO have night blindness, and all carriers are at increased risk of chronic recurrent uveitis (which often results in "moon blindness," even when treated). This is again, a pleiotropic effect of the gene that causes the change in the coat color. Likewise, the Silver dilution results in a number of ocular anomalies.

Comment

I've seen them mostly on Arabs. Actually, I can't think of one grey Arab over the age of 15 that didn't have melanomas.

What drives me nuts about grey horses - every little cut, scratch or ding turns black, so they have this very obvious black "scar" after a wound has healed. If you have one that goes out with other horses and gets their fair share of wounds, then they look ridiculous with all of the black marks on them.

Just my observation. Also agree with the manure stains, yellow tail syndrome (yuck), and melanoma issue.

Comment

Interesting as I have always been in the no grey camp as I hate cleaning them Grey is so common in the Irish, I can't see anyone paying extra. My fields are filled with plain bay, only a couple with chrome
                      Epona Farm
                      Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

I call myself a gray magnet. Seems I can't go very long without owning one or having one in my barn. All of mine have been TB's, except for one WB/TB, none have ever had any signs of melanoma (thank goodness!)

As far as the market, I will agree that there is much more action on a pretty, well put together gray horse than your average bay. I have a client that is looking for just that, and had one she loved but he was pulled off the market. Everytime I send her info on NICE horses I get the same response, they are holding out for another gray horse.

One is landing in my barn next month, but I may keep him for myself!

Comment

Random melanoma question..... I just got a Grey OTTB'S, my first grey, though Ive always wanted one! I live in TX where the sun is brutal. I put coat spray with SPF 8 on him every day to potentially help with any future melanomas. Any thought on if this is helpful. I figure it can't hurt, but not sure if melanomas are even sun Related in horses!

Comment

As a seller of horses, dappled greys sell much faster/are easier to sell.

Comment

While I love a dark dappled gray, they usually lighten up and lose that pretty color as they age, then you just have a white horse that you have to worry about sunburn, cancer and keeping clean.

personally I'm a sucker for a dark bay with four white, which just happens to be what I bought. . .

Comment

I don't understand the fascination with grey horses. Yes, I had a nice ottb mare who was grey. She was "white" when i bought her as a 5 yr old. Yes, I have the formerly dapple grey and white pinto warmblood. He is now considered by many a "white" horse, altho he's usually covered with dirt or manure. Neither had/have melanomas. But I have boarded with friends whose grey tb mares had melanomas, but lived to be 24 and 29 yoa.

I chose my first grey horse, the ottb mare.

I did not want to buy my warmblood when he backed his dappled rump out of the trailer down in Florida. I actually turned to Robert Robold and said "I don't want a grey horse!" But he had a perfect bascule and a floating trot, so I did it. And every day since for 12 yrs I've cleaned him and cleaned him.

But people constantly want a "white" horse. Everyone wants a grey or white horse. I have no idea why. Although that westfalen silver dapple that was boarded here a few years ago had a stunning coat. But didn't have the conformation that should come first.

I do think it is funny that people will pay extra for color. I was totally willing to pay extra for pinto color after the horse satisfied my requirements for conformation and bloodlines and performance. I'd buy him again, despite his color. Those dapples were beautiful though, LOL. He sunburns over 50% of his body, so he stays in in summer during the day.

Comment

Originally posted by ExcelEventing View Post
                                  Random melanoma question..... I just got a Grey OTTB'S, my first grey, though Ive always wanted one! I live in TX where the sun is brutal. I put coat spray with SPF 8 on him every day to potentially help with any future melanomas. Any thought on if this is helpful. I figure it can't hurt, but not sure if melanomas are even sun Related in horses!
                                  They aren't sun related. Most of them get melanomas underneath their tails,on their sheaths, teats. etc.
                                  "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
                                  "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

Comment

Originally posted by ExcelEventing View Post
                                    Maybe someone else can confirm, but I am pretty sure that melanomas are not related to UV exposure in horses -- since it's the same genetic change already present. Most external melanomas appear under the tail, around the ears, under the throat (probably as a result of embryonic melanocyte migration patterns) which are exposed to less sun than other areas. That said, UV exposure on pink/ less pigmented skin is associated with other skin cancers (I think squamous cell carcinoma esp around the eyes?), so the sunblock/ fly mask is probably wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Meadow36 View Post
                                      What drives me nuts about grey horses - every little cut, scratch or ding turns black, so they have this very obvious black "scar" after a wound has healed. If you have one that goes out with other horses and gets their fair share of wounds, then they look ridiculous with all of the black marks on them.
                                      Yes, so true! My gray mare was the lowest on the totem pole wherever we went, and had those black marks all over her. That, and most of the barns we boarded at had red clay in the pastures/round pens. Red clay+gray horse=sad owner.

That said, I have a soft spot for grays. I just think they are purty. That doesn't mean I would pay a huge premium for a gray if there was a much cheaper bay that I liked just as much, but if I have the option- it is gray for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Falconfree View Post
                                        Yes, so true! My gray mare was the lowest on the totem pole wherever we went, and had those black marks all over her. That, and most of the barns we boarded at had red clay in the pastures/round pens. Red clay+gray horse=sad owner.

That said, I have a soft spot for grays. I just think they are purty. That doesn't mean I would pay a huge premium for a gray if there was a much cheaper bay that I liked just as much, but if I have the option- it is gray for me.
                                        Funny story, I worked at a big Appaloosa farm once upon a time. One day, farm owner took a horse in on trade towards a sale horse. We called the critter Citrus, cuz if was a light orange chestnut-ty color. Except, it weren't... After a month or two, we figured out it was gray.

Beast was so stained with orange dirt it really looked like a chestnut/roany color initially.
                                        "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

Working...
                                        X