• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Micklem Bridle thoughts...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micklem Bridle thoughts...

Hi,

I was wondering your opinions/ thoughts on the micklem bridle. I have noticed a lot more horses competing in them, and I thought it was all a fad, but I'm curious to see if it might be the right bridle to try for my horse on the flat.

When he gets nervous, he starts "butting" against the the bit. Or taking grabbing bites at the bridle and starts opening his mouth. I've noticed it more when he goes in his show bridle with has a crank noseband and flash. He does get lockjaw quite a bit- according to his chiropractor appointments. And Also, he was an old topline injury (a former owner did too much deep hyperflexion on him and popped his vertibrae out / muscle in the T- i don't recall the exact name).

I'm thinking the crank is not for him. His schooling bridle is a regular noseband (i've misplaced the flash) and he is much more calmer in it. It is a cheap bridle (I mean cheap) so not good for shows, but was curious if this micklem bridle would be something to give a try for him for dressage work only.

I tried a search but receive no results- could be that I'm not using the new search features on chrono very well....

TIA!

Here is a lengthy thread discussing the Micklem.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...hlight=micklem

My horse likes it. He can be fussy with the bit and also rubs a lot in a regular bridle. It seems to help quite a bit.

Comment

My horse seems to go better in the Micklem as well. There have been mentions of fitting issues on some horses.
      I bought the standard sized competition bridle first and had no trouble on my horse, but then found a standard sized regular Micklem on sale and its just an inch or so short in the throat/cheek buckle.
      As an aside - does anyone know if they make extention pieces for that bridle?

Comment

I'll save myself some typing - I am skeptic, I hate trends, girl. Here is my review of the Micklem. It won me over: http://www.teamflyingsolo.com/2012/1...n-micklem.html
        Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
        We Are Flying Solo

Comment

I think they're butt-ugly, but I have tried 3 horses in them and one seems to very definitely like it because it FITS him best. He has really high and pointy cheekbones so any sort of caveson was difficult to get to sit correctly. The Micklem fit him like it was made for his head.

My other two were spectacularly indifferent to the bridle.

FWIW.

I figure any piece of tack is worth trying, but IMO true miracles are as rare in the world of tack as they are anyplace else.

I have one dedicated bit-chomper, Bonnie--her mother was THE SAME. She does it no matter what bit, noseband, lack of noseband or other apparatus we try, and has been doing it for 10 years. We let her. The happier and looser she is, the more she actually chomps the bit. When she's tense or unhappy she will OPEN her mouth, so my job is to keep her chomping and not evading. And no piece of tack can help me. I'm on my own as a rider.

His schooling bridle is a regular noseband (i've misplaced the flash) and he is much more calmer in it.
          There's your answer. Less may be more! Flash nosebands are almost "standard issue" in the eventing world, but personally I think they're overused. Mine all go in a regular caveson, quite loose, except on my one nice show bridle which happens to have a crank but I buckle it very loosely.
          Click here before you buy.

Comment

LOVE them! Own three now--two for my pony and another for our driving pony that I also ride.

My guy had always gone well in a plain cavesson but this past year, as I started asking him for more, his evasion was to open his mouth as wide as possible, stick his tongue out, and go "Neener, neener...you can't make me do anything." Gotta love 4 years olds!

I tried a plain crank cavesson, flash, and figure 8 nosebands and he just was not happy in any of them. I dislike flashes and figures 8s because you really have to get the "top" part tight on the horses' heads to keep the nosebands from being pulled down as they try to open their mouths. My pet peeve is seeing horses in flashes so tight that you can see the skin bulging on both side of the flash--we all know we've seen it!

So, after reading up on the Micklem, I tried one and he just LOVES it! It alleviates all the issues I had with the figures 8 pressing on the delicate structures of his face and the noseband stays in place perfectly even if you leave the lower part looser. I don't want to crank his mouth shut, just keep him from being able to evade me to such a great degree as earlier described.

Many people ask me about them now since it's all I use to ride in for the most part and many have said they are going to try them. Even in the very "traditional" hunt field, I've gotten complements on using one (from the Master, no less).

They can be difficult to fit to get the balance correct between the noseband height and bit height. For example, the driving pony is same size as my pony (14.2 hands) but has slightly finer head. He wears a pony size Micklem, which fit his face perfectly, but the buckle around the jaw is on the last hole. Rally wears a cob, which is fine except if I'm using a Pessoa-style bit--I have to get the bit adjustment (buckle at bottom) all the way up to the highest hole and it's still a tad loose. I can't adjust it from the cheekpiece because it would pull the noseband too far up.

Key is to get one and try it. I believe Dover and Smartpak are both good about letting you exchange one if you need a different size.

I'm thinking about getting Rally a traditional flat hunter bridle (going to playing around in the side saddle this summer!), and I feel confident that because I've used the Micklem, he'll go back to a plain cavesson with no issues. Also, I think the Micklems are quite attractive when fitted correctly, but I also don't mind dropped nosebands either!

Here's a pic of us from January 6, getting ready to go out hunting using a Micklem bridle and Happy Mouth Pessoa-style bit:
            http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4794380131628&l=3fa0204e7f

Edited to add: I had some issues with getting rubs on the corner of Rally's mouth--not sure if it's how the lower noseband interacts with the Happy Mouth bits because I don't have as much of an issue with non-Happy Mouths--so I use Vaseline on the corners of his mouth when I ride. He has very delicate skin, though. Just a heads up to keep an eye on this possibly happening.
            Last edited by KellyS; Feb. 3, 2013, 04:13 PM.

Comment

My trainer suggested a Micklem for my horse who wouldn't 'hold' the bit in his mouth; he was difficult to establish contact with. We use it in dressage only and it seems to keep the bit more steady in his mouth which he appreciates.

Comment

Dover has a try it before you buy it deal so I think I may be trying one this spring. Like wildlifer, I found myself staring at them at the Dover store and I have been curious ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                  I figure any piece of tack is worth trying, but IMO true miracles are as rare in the world of tack as they are anyplace else.
                  Absolutely. I HATE flashes and generally school with no noseband at all. I hesitated to even try the Micklem because of the chin strap. But when I use it, it is very very loose and it just stabilizes the bit a little. Horse can still eat, swallow, drink, chomp, whatever. There is no miracle -- he's just a little more comfortable, a little bit softer, and to my intuitive sense, a little more relaxed. It certainly doesn't teach piaffe by osmosis, ROFL.

We Are Flying Solo

Comment

I'm wondering why you don't just use no flash, if your horse likes it better. For show, can you just take the flash OFF the show bridle? Yes, you'll have a little tab hanging off the front of the nose, but if you have something that works, why not use it?

That said, I have a Micklem bridle for my mare and she definitely prefers it over a flash. I'm still figuring out whether she prefers it over a plain cavesson, or no cavesson at all, which I sometimes go to when I'm not into "heavy schooling."
                    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

I've thought about the Miklem bridle but am hesistant to buy another bridle. I agree about the overuse of the flash, although it is such an individual thing from horse to horse. I've got one horse who is just awful without the flash, as he bounces the bit all over the place. The flash does help to keep the bit stable in the mouth, and I use it much more for that than I do to actually keep the mouth closed. I am just unsure if the Miklem will add anything beyond a just-tight-enough flash. These testimonies are convincing... but it's almost $200 that could go elswhere... we shall see. Would love to hear if the Miklem has made a difference in dressage scores. ??

Comment

I currently ride my horse in a flash on flat and figure 8 jumping. Would love to try the micklem, just so darned expensive for my poor college kid budget.
                        The Little Man

Blog

Comment

I use a Micklem bridle quite a bit of the time. I like the way it supports the position of the bit and my horses find it comfortable.

I ride one horse in the sidepull configuration bitless and I like the flexibility.

I like the way they look, so it's not an aesthetic draw back for me.

For those who are concerned about the price, if you look for sales, you can buy them for less. I paid $99 for one and $110 for the second.
                          Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                          EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Originally posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
                            Would love to hear if the Miklem has made a difference in dressage scores. ??
                            I showed our driving pony in dressage shows last summer--at his first show, I used a figure 8 with Herm Sprenger WH Ultra bit; his scores were high 50s/low 60s. The rest of the shows I did with him last summer were with the same bit but the Micklem bridle--his scores were 70% or above from that point on and he showed the same tests at every show. The bridle definitely made a huge difference for him in how he went.

Comment

My boy is Mr Fussy, always has been, and he can get so distracted with chewing on his bit that he forgets that you are half-halting. Before I got him he was going in a flash bridle (after he completely evaded the bit for a round at 1m by opening his mouth, before then it was just a plain cavasson). As soon as I got him in the states I switched to a figure-8 because I prefer them over flashes and I didn't have a full flash bridle that would fit him.

Now he is doing dressage in a micklem bridle and his jump bridle has a figure-8. He is going quite nicely in the micklem, accepting the bit and really pushing through, even though his dressage bit really hasn't changed (loose ring single joint compared to a single jointed D and a single jointed boucher). Only reason he isn't jumping in a micklem is he is currently jumping in a rubber gag and that wouldn't work with the micklem bridle :P
                              "I'm too sexy for my blanket, too sexy for my blanket, these mares-they should take it..." (J-Lu) - Featuring The Skypizzle Pony aka Classic Skyline

Comment

I sold off every bridle I own except the Micklem and a couple cruddy old western headstalls (no noseband) I use for introducing babies to the bridle. My horse that would toss his head and pull away when I went to buckle the noseband and flash now stands quietly while I do up the buckles on the Micklem. I think it's kind of ugly, but it is clearly the preferred headwear, so that's what we use.

Comment

I am becoming more and more convinced.... Thanks Kelly!

Originally posted by KellyS View Post
                                  I showed our driving pony in dressage shows last summer--at his first show, I used a figure 8 with Herm Sprenger WH Ultra bit; his scores were high 50s/low 60s. The rest of the shows I did with him last summer were with the same bit but the Micklem bridle--his scores were 70% or above from that point on and he showed the same tests at every show. The bridle definitely made a huge difference for him in how he went.

Comment

if your at home bridle works really well for him at home, and has held up to everyday riding, why not use it to show in? No one cares if it's not fancy. Or find one in the same style to show in. I don't understand training in one bridle and showing in a completely different one. A crank with a flash is a very different bridle than a regular caveson with no flash. or just loosen the crank and ditch the flash.

Comment

I like the way they look!

Comment

Originally posted by Bogie View Post
                                        For those who are concerned about the price, if you look for sales, you can buy them for less. I paid $99 for one and $110 for the second.
                                        You can definitely find them on sale -- I could not afford it, the only reason I got one was that I had a gift card. It actually looks quite handsome on my TB (black competition version) and he now quietly accepts his bit and bridle instead of clenching his teeth and raising his head.

We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Working...
                                        X