• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Funny post # 42. I've come up with a show name that I love, but do you get it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny post # 42. I've come up with a show name that I love, but do you get it?

My newest project pony is a super duper cute OTTB. I posted about him when I first bought him...if anyone caught that thread.

His JC name is, Don't Jack With Me

All in all it could be worse. Though I HATE IT.
    1st: I don't like the meaning-- I prefer my horses to be very compliant + with that name at a show if you don't win then you are a big fat looser.
    2nd: it makes me think of masturbation or something. ewwww
    3rd: it's too long
    4th: it's not appropriate for a show hunter and I will certainly dabble in all disciplines with him

should I keep going?

anywho, I call him OK (Oak) as in OKie. He's OKie bred. And he tries so hard. Rather than saying "Don't Jack with Me", he says, "Okie Dokie".

Well, as I've gotten to know him--he's soooooo much fun. Especially out on XC when he has a nice adrenaline high. He's silly and goofy and tries really hard and does a great job. We always have a great time...with "Fun Bobby".

I am really am thinking hard about showing him as "Fun Bobby".

But I'm wondering how many people actually understand the reference.

I'm a fairly hardcore Friends fan. I still watch reruns all the time.

Do they have to go by their JC name for T.I.P.?
    Last edited by purplnurpl; Feb. 2, 2013, 12:54 PM.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I love " Fun Bobbie"....and not sure what TIP is....but I'm pretty sure if they're not racing they dont need to use it...Mine's JC is FlashandThunder....show name Jumpin' Jack Flash...( he's a jumper/eventer...fits him better )

Comment

No one will get it

I like Okie Dokie better.

Comment

If you love the name then it doesn't matter if anyone gets it. I get why they named my boy his name, but really didn't like it. I asked if I could change it and I did. I love my boys name but nobody gets or can announce it at shows. I don't care b/c I love it and that is all that matters!!!!
        No Worries!

Comment

It doesn't really matter if people don't get it (they probably wont). It will put a smile on your face to hear his name announced.
          Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

Comment

Sad to say, I did not get the reference. So you need to like the name just for itself, because of those of us out here who are to obuse to get it.
            "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

Comment

I don't get the reference, but I thought it was a cute name. It sounds like a Thoroughbred name for people who didn't catch the joke.

In Canada you can show the horse under the name on their Passport, without changing the name on the breed registration. You just have to make the link for them, TB with THIS lip tattoo is registered as XXXXXX with Equine Canada. For everything except TB racing, EC is the governing body, so their record essentially rules. Lots of breed horses (Arabs, Morgans, QH) have a different name on their passport than their breed registry...EC just records the breed registry number with the new name.

Unless this changed in the past few years.
              Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Comment

I got the Friends reference, and don't get me wrong, I LOVE Friends, but "Fun Bobby" was an alcoholic... when he sobered up he was no longer "Fun Bobby". Name is cute, but not a reference I would want people to "get." But that's just me and *my* opinion. What matters is if *you* like it.
                You know you're a horse person when your mother, who has no grandchildren, gets cards addressed to Grandma, signed by the horses, cats, and dogs.

Comment

I don't know whether or not they are announced under their JC number at TIP events, but you do have to show their papers and their JC name is tied to their reults. On the resuts page on the TIP website it has the horse's show name and then the JC name in parenthesis.

Comment

I know I've watched Friends....still didn't get it. But if you like the name, then that is all that matters.
                    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

^^^ same, I watched friends, but did not get the reference! I have loved names that others did not like - I do not care, I liked it!
                      APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

I got the reference, and I think you should name the horse whatever you please.

If you prefer something a little less controversial, there's always Marcel the Monkey.
                        Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

I have no idea what "Fun Bobby" is, but name him whatever you want.
                          I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Comment

I LOVE Fun Bobby! Yeah sure he was an alcoholic and wasn't so fun once he sobered up, but I still love the name. Anything with a FRIENDS reference really And I second rizzodm, it will make you smile when you hear it. If I heard the name at a show I know it would make me smile!

I think for those who get it, they'll smile at the reference, and for those who don't, who cares, there are way weirder names out there that nobody gets

Comment

I get the reference (HUGE Friends fan here....), and if you like it, go for it. You don't need to keep the JC name for TIP.

I think Central Perk would be really cute. And I think more people would catch the reference (maybe not the younger set, but our age group would.)
                              Comedic Eventing on Facebook

Comment

Pick a name you love and go with it. End of the day, all that matters is if you like what the critter's nameplate/feed bin looks like, though it's helpful if at some point they start to know their own names.

All caveats though, that my horses for the most part just have one name for both barn and show. Too lazy to come up with something new, and I have a superstition about changing barn names, so unless it's really awful, they just get shown under it.

Comment

I think Okie Dokie is really cute. Fun Bobby wouldn't be my first choice. When you register them for TIP, it asks for the show name-- two of my three geldings are officially "Unnamed."

Comment

I didn't get the reference...

I LOVE Okie Dokie

Comment

Originally posted by PonyGal08 View Post
                                      I got the Friends reference, and don't get me wrong, I LOVE Friends, but "Fun Bobby" was an alcoholic... when he sobered up he was no longer "Fun Bobby".
                                      Now THAT'S funny.
                                      "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

Comment

I had to think a minute, but I got it - and it's a silly, goofy name, regardless of whether anyone gets it, so if that's how the horse makes you feel, go for it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X