• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Best Figure 8 Bridle?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Figure 8 Bridle?!

Hey guys!

Ok so I'm in the market for a new figure 8 bridle since my current one is older and doesn't fit my new guy to great. Ill start off by saying I'm picky with bridles because I really want my horses to be as comfortable as possible.

Here are my thoughts:
    I really love the idea of the ergonomically shaped one piece padded crowns so I want a bridle with that type crown.

I like when the rings are covered with leather (like the vespucci)

I don't like a lot of sheepskin on the disk- the less the better as long as the disk isn't "hard" leather, in that case I would want the sheepskin for comfort.

I LOVE the Vespucci figure 8, but the problem is I heard the leather isn't great quality and I can't justify spending 260.00 on a bridle with crappy leather.

I also love the Nunn finer figure 8 but the one I like doesn't have the single crown & the other figure 8 they have with the single crown is to fancy for me.

Input please guys
    “A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.”
  • Original Poster

But, the rings don't have to be covered with leather....just an extra
    “A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.”

Comment

Red Barn? Makes one with silver clenches on brow band and figure 8 I love it get huge compliments and gave 1 to my 4* rider for Christmas she also loves the look.

Comment

• Original Poster

Ill check it out, thanks!

Comment

So, as the owner of a Vespucci bridle, they are not bad. Especially for the price. Much nicer, MUCH better quality than my similarly priced Smart Pak bridle.

Beval makes very nice bridles, the figure 8 noseband I have is from them, bought 20 years ago, and still in use. Here's a contender for you: http://www.beval.com/Products/Conque...s/1166001.aspx

Also, this line from Dover is nice, American leather : http://www.doversaddlery.com/showmar...le/p/X1-12862/
          Unrepentant carb eater

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Judysmom View Post
            So, as the owner of a Vespucci bridle, they are not bad. Especially for the price. Much nicer, MUCH better quality than my similarly priced Smart Pak bridle.

Beval makes very nice bridles, the figure 8 noseband I have is from them, bought 20 years ago, and still in use. Here's a contender for you: http://www.beval.com/Products/Conque...s/1166001.aspx

Also, this line from Dover is nice, American leather : http://www.doversaddlery.com/showmar...le/p/X1-12862/

Thanks! Good to hear you like the vespucci leather, I'm still considering the bridle. Love the Beval one tho!

Comment

Five Star. I think my Five Star Chelsea meets all your wants/needs. Well, upon looking at the website, they don't make the Chelsea anymore, but looks like what they do have will meet your needs. Lovely bridles.

The Smartpak Wellfleet also is lovely (I have one of their dressage bridles).

I would choose Five Star or Smartpak over Vespucci. They stretch like crazy. I've had a few in my barn (client owned), and we were CONSTANTLY punching holes in their bridles. The leather IS buttery soft, but I think that's the problem.
              Amanda

Comment

I have a Wellfleet from Smartpak and I get compliments on it wherever I go. the leather is super soft and it is gorgeous!
                Eventers of the West
                A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
                Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Comment

My Wellfleet bridle would not stop bleeding dye. The byte of the reins ruined several of my saddle pads. Thank god the horse I bought it for was my chestnut, not one of my greys.

Anyhow- OP- I don't want you to think I am heartly endorsing Vespucci, I am not, but for the price they are not bad. If I had been shopping for a figure 8 bridle I would have gotten the Dover, but I needed a flash. For some reason its harder to fine a nice mid priced padded monocrown fancy stiched flash bridle than a figure 8.
                  Unrepentant carb eater

Comment

Originally posted by Judysmom View Post
                    My Wellfleet bridle would not stop bleeding dye. The byte of the reins ruined several of my saddle pads. Thank god the horse I bought it for was my chestnut, not one of my greys.
                    Weird. I don't have that problem.
                    Eventers of the West
                    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
                    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Comment

I have three Vespucci bridles and I have found them to be my favorite bridles. I have the figure 8 and it is beautiful but also very durable. It seems to be very comfortable for the horse - if you have the padded areas in the right place. If you tack up too quickly and don't take the time to put the padded areas where they should be, then I could see it pinching and becoming uncomfortable. I much prefer the leather over the sheepskin, the sheepskin ends up looking so worn and dirty over time.

Comment

I love my Bobby's figure 8... I also love my 4 other Bobby's too. Their customer service is unparalleled- I bet if you contact them they can put together the bridle you want.

Comment

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Antares. The leather is unbelievable. It is absolutely exquisite. Had to wait years to find one within my budget, though.
                          Some days the best thing about my job is that the chair spins.

Comment

I love my Five Star Tack Chelsea bridle. I've had it since August and there's been no stretching at all. You can't really even see the marks where I buckle it, and I ride at least 3 times a week. The leather is nice and sturdy, and the padding is very soft.
                            I love my Econo-Nag!

Comment

Loved it when I bought it... but now, not that impressed with Vespucci....

I have a Vespucci Figure 8... here are my two cents:

Make sure it can be returned. The horse size swam on my horse; the cob size fits well, but the figure 8 had to be shortened by about 6 inches! I'm not sure what sort of horse has that large a muzzle. Don't buy it if it can't be returned!!

Mine is buttery soft and has not stretched It has however, gotten some wierd discolouration on the cheekpieces... it's like they are dry? But they have been cleaned as much as the rest of the bridle and the rest of the bridle doesn't have this look. It is almost like the colour on them is fading? Very strange. This bridle is used 1 - 2 times per week and cleaned (almost) every ride.

It WILL NOT DARKEN. Despite oiling, conditioning, etc, it is still has an light orange brown quality to its' colour. I have tried everything... I am hoping that time darkens it a bit. It has been 3 + years however....

I do have a regular hunter Vespucci bridle that is beautiful... gorgeous colour, buttery soft, lovely bridle. Alas it doesn't fit my "cob sized" thoroughbred jumper that requires a figure 8...

Comment

Originally posted by Addictedeventer View Post
                                Here are my thoughts:
                                I really love the idea of the ergonomically shaped one piece padded crowns so I want a bridle with that type crown.

I like when the rings are covered with leather (like the vespucci)

I don't like a lot of sheepskin on the disk- the less the better as long as the disk isn't "hard" leather, in that case I would want the sheepskin for comfort.
                                So, I just wanted to comment on this - in defense of the Vespucci! I have owned three Vespucci bridles - including the Figure 8 in question. My other two are a now-10 year old rolled leather double bridle, and a somewhat newer (~1 year) flash rolled leather bridle.

The thing is - and this is true with almost all leather - the care you put into it will reflect the quality you have, and the duration of it's life. Again - I have a 10 year old Vespucci. It's definitely worn in, but it is in beautiful condition. My Vespucci flash bridle is equally lovely - and it has been in 3/4 day a week use for the last year. The Vespucci figure 8 I bought in mid-Dec, and so far it has maintained a gorgeous finish and suppleness.

Our jumping trainer at the eventing barn I ride at specifically recommends these bridles - almost all the horses going cross country wear them. The only one I have seen that was not still in beautiful working condition was on that was left in someone's attic for two or so years - extreme hot and cold (in New England) - and buried under piles of junk without being oiled or cleaned. Even that one was survivable with some TLC!

The Rodeo Project - Tracking an Event Horse

Comment

I would expect the 10 year old Vespucci to be fabulous. It is the more recent ones that have been suspect. My two recommendations:

1) Five Star Tack - amazing bridles http://www.fivestarbridles.com/bridles.html
                                  2) Kieffer Carmen http://www.calevo.com/cgi-bin/calevo...e/1050138.html

Other options are with just bridles, http://www.delfinasaddlery.com/Delfi...-Crown-p8.html, http://www.farmhousetack.com/servlet...-Padded/Detail

Or if you want to spend a lot, these are stunning http://www.smartpakequine.com/arc-de...dle-4409p.aspx and all the french companies (CWD, Voltaire, Devoucoux) make nice ones as well
                                  OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

I bought the Vespucci 7-8 years ago and it has held up great!!

Comment

Working...
                                    X