• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Eventing Winter Support Group!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eventing Winter Support Group!

Saw this over on H/J Forum and thought, what a great idea!

Anyone can join in - it will hopefully help motivate us to keep riding in the snow and cold unlike those who are lucky enough to go to Ocala or Aiken!

I am trying to average 5 days a week of flatwork or jumping exercises, but the dark/cold/snow/laziness kicks in every so often.

Please use this thread to post what you are working on and what helps keep you motivated during these tough winter months. Any specific goals to work on before the season starts?

My goals are to learn the Training tests and practice the parts that are tough for us, ride with no stirrups more, and work through jumping exercises to sharpen the front end and build confidence.
    No Trouble
    2/2/05 - 7/29/13
    Rest In Peace my quirky brave boy, I will love you forever.

i'll join. I had a lesson last Saturday. We were required to have a neck strap. I b*tched and complained. It all came up to that I didn't know HOW to ride with a neck strap. I was never taught. Well long story short after some explanxation, from a A level pony clubber, I got the hang of the neck strap and violla excellent jumping. It is almost as hard as to ride without stirrups. You have no idea how dependent you are on tour hands. Even the first approach to the jump was funny, we were like having directional issues. We learned very quickly and can't wait for this Saturday, if the weather warms.
    Memebr of Charlie Horse Riding Club.

Comment

*sigh* We're still walking, just starting to trot a little after a banged tendon in late October. Keebler got to go to Ocala with his new kid and I am hoping to have some vicarious thrills there, and Bonnie is under lights while I figure out if I want to breed her.

So my horse life at present is a whole lot of truly tedious stuff and "can't wait until May!".
      Click here before you buy.

Comment

Well DW, I'm stuck with walking too. No injury, but no indoor and we've reached the footing that's only good for walking season I feel your frustration, bring on some May!!!

Comment

After some awesome hunting and getting spoiled with the lovely weather...planned a show and more hunting and got the $&@?! Flu. Now that I have finally recovered enough strength and energy to ride its sub zero froze ring time..crap...hope some good clinics and less severe weather come this way....

Comment

• Original Poster

Maybe we need to get a "countdown until May" going? Looks like less than 100 days
            No Trouble
            2/2/05 - 7/29/13

Comment

I have a new ride this season, we have had our second dressage lesson. He has never learned how to really carry himself correctly, and is struggling a bit. He is rounding up nicely in dressage and really working on the bit now, but I can tell the canter is going to be a while.

Comment

Sigh. I just had my horse going well again after having most of December off. And now this cold snap. Hoping to get on him tomorrow and Sunday, but probably won't do too much. It's still going to be cold! But two days in the upper 40s next week. Yay!

Comment

Today is the fourth day off in a row for the little brown horse because of the weather being so cold. We actually have rubber footing in the ring so it doesn't freeze but with the wind chill making everything even colder, I worry about working them in that kind of weather. You can tell he's had four days off because he's started the mouthy/playful biting, incessant pawing in the crossties, and he's got that look in his eye that tells me I'm in for quite the rodeo when I finally climb aboard next time!

We've been doing a lot of dressage work which involves a lot of "Yes, you CAN go forward AND be round, and yes you ARE going to do what I say despite your temper tantrums." I've also been doing a lot of pole courses and such to avoid the wear and tear on his legs but still work on things like distances and stride length. I wish I could get OUT of the stupid ring!

We've also been working through the Training tests because we're moving up this season, working through First Level 2 & 3 because that's a goal for us this season, and also reintroducing the baby steps of shoulder-in, travers, and renvers. We had a not-so-good dressage instructor for a little while who tried to push those things much too soon so I have backed off of them so he could de-stress a bit but I think he's ready to start back up slowly.

I do have plenty to work on but I am quite ready for spring!

Comment

We had dropped to 5 days a week work, but since we still had nice weather I could ride outside under lights during the week. Not a lot of jumping, but good dressage schools and fun rides with friends on the weekends and strength stuff like raised cavaletti's. Have to try to mix it up so maresy doesn't get sour. Then with the sub zero temps this week we got stuck in the indoor with 500 lesson kids that railroad track the footing in a day. I can ride late enough to be after the lessons, but it's even colder then and the uneven footing makes her nervous and tight because it gets so deep in spots. So with this cold it's more about just sitting on her back for a while at night.

Of course today I got her in to ride (in the daylight!) and she has a cut on her heel bulb from the frozen mess. Nothing terrible, but she'll be off for at least a week. Sigh. So she's miserable stuck in a stall and we'll have to be content handwalking up and down the driveway.

Once she's back to work, its gonna be just keeping her as fit and strong as the weather allows, so we can start the season off strong.

Comment

Well, I'm spoiled as we are in an eventing barn with a fabulous indoor arena, fabulous coaching and winter schooling shows to whip our butts into shape.

No rest for the wicked when there are things to do!

Had a crazy stadium school a couple of days ago. Mr. Gelding was feeling *full* of himself and had a bit too much fun with the jumping. For me it was a good reminder that *I* need to be in control and he *has to* listen to me. All the way through the course!! We figured it out by the end of the lesson but it still left me scratching my head. He is just so much more sensitive than the mare and yet a bully that likes to ignore me when he decides that jumping is fun. Just requires a tactful ride and I'm still trying to figure out that part of the equation.

We have the jumper show tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to reproduce our final round from our lesson, which was brilliant, even with the pressure of spectators/show nerves. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Haven't ridden in a week, but got to walk around on the roads for a 90 minutes with this heat wave giving us a high of 26! Get excited

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Win1 View Post
                          Haven't ridden in a week, but got to walk around on the roads for a 90 minutes with this heat wave giving us a high of 26! Get excited
                          wow you are brave going out on the roads after a week off! Mine has been snorting at everything outside of the indoor arena and I am a little nervous to go out to the roads but dying to hack as well!

A little lunging and indoor turn out/run around time since the ground is so slick and frozen in the paddocks has worked wonders on the 2 I have been riding...they get to play and let off some steam before it's time to work
                          No Trouble
                          2/2/05 - 7/29/13

Comment

Working...
                          X