• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Average TB jump height?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kalila View Post
    However, some breeds can carry more weight than others. A 15.2hh draft can carry a lot more weight than a 15.2hh lightbreed based on bone mass/density. Adding obstacles makes this even more apparent, though, drafts are going to have a hard time anyways because they can be too heavy of course. The mare in question is a bit more on the light side, and her owner even thinks she is too big for her.

I understand that there really is no clear answer to this question, vague or not. When I posted this I just wanted to hear some opinions on the subject, not on anything else.
    Did you even look at purplnurpl's website? Somehow her gigantic 6' frame does not seem to be crushing her lightboned, non-draft 15-something hand horses into the ground. In fact, in all of her pairings, they seem to be doing quite well.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by GoForAGallop View Post
      Did you even look at purplnurpl's website? Somehow her gigantic 6' frame does not seem to be crushing her lightboned, non-draft 15-something hand horses into the ground. In fact, in all of her pairings, they seem to be doing quite well.
      I'm sure they do quite well together and I applaud her efforts to condition her horses so well to perform. She looks very well suited to all her horses.
      "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
      "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

Comment

I believe it was Mark Todd who said his biggest issue with Charisma was that his (Mark's) feet would sometimes hit the rails in SJ??

Charisma was a 15.2h TB and 1/16th Percheron I think.... But mostly looked like a TB.
        Mark Todd is SUPER tall. Over 6' I believe.
        They won the Olympics. Twice.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/images...es_July_21.jpg

Should we talk about legs hanging down past the horses body in dressage?
        I believe it is acceptable. LOL!
        http://www.nzhorses.co.nz/NZequestri...cs/markch2.jpg
        http://kaboomeventing.com/
        http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
        Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

I don't know the answer to your question but see nothing wrong with the description of what the rider was doing/his or her size. Sounds to me like you were being judgy. Doing regular courses at a certain height is different than a single fence.

Comment

Mark Todd (6'3") won two Olympic eventing gold medals on Charisma who was 15.2. If "to your eye" or "your opinion" is that 5'8" and 15.2" look mismatched then I would encourage you to continue to educate your eye and perhaps hold your opinions until your eye is better educated.

If the original question was in relation to whether a 4 year old horse should be asked to jump 4' then I would suggest that there are many better arguments to defend/condemn the practice than how high the average TB can jump.

Comment

I think most most people interpreted this as a capability question (how high can a TB jump?) vs an advisability question (should this rider jump this horse this high?)

Agree with the masses that 5'8/15.2 is not a big deal. I don't usually jump 4 yo that high, especially this early in the year, but it sounds like an isolated event.

I think nearly all TBs, even those without tons of scope or training, can jump a single 4' fence, especially if it is set up in a gymnastic or something to help them. A 4' course is much harder, especially for shorter strided horses, though not out of reach of most TBs, probably.

Comment

Originally posted by magicteetango View Post
                I don't know the answer to your question but see nothing wrong with the description of what the rider was doing/his or her size. Sounds to me like you were being judgy. Doing regular courses at a certain height is different than a single fence.
                I noticed from past posts that OP comes from a hunter background. It all makes sense now.

I joke, I joke!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Beam Me Up View Post
                  I think most most people interpreted this as a capability question (how high can a TB jump?) vs an advisability question (should this rider jump this horse this high?)

Agree with the masses that 5'8/15.2 is not a big deal. I don't usually jump 4 yo that high, especially this early in the year, but it sounds like an isolated event.

I think nearly all TBs, even those without tons of scope or training, can jump a single 4' fence, especially if it is set up in a gymnastic or something to help them. A 4' course is much harder, especially for shorter strided horses, though not out of reach of most TBs, probably.
                  Thanks for your post.

I guess I just felt like that certain pair looked off to me. I just want to say though, that even the rider in question said she was too big for the filly. So, I wasn't the only one thinking it. I wouldn't have said anything if the rider hadn't herself. That would be really rude and disrespectful.

I don't doubt at all that tall riders can successfully compete at the high levels with horses that are not considered "ideal' heightwise for them nowadays. For example, even though Theodore O'connor was 14.1hh, I thought he and Karen looked good together.
                  "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
                  "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

Comment

• Original Poster

I noticed from past posts that OP comes from a hunter background. It all makes sense now.

I joke, I joke!
                    LOL! Even I found this funny.

Personally, I don't like to ride horses that are larger than 16.2hh. I look like a bug on top of the big ones. Whenever I ride our 18.0hh Hanoverian, my trainers laugh at me. LOL.

Comment

I'm 5'8". Keebler is 15.2 *if* he has his wedge shoes on. We've jumped up pretty close to 4' and my feet don't come anywhere NEAR hanging below his tummy, even in dressage. My trainer is 5'11" and her feet don't, either. He is, however, a fairly stocky 15.1-and-a-half.

One thing I did notice as a somewhat-tall-rider-on-somewhat-small-horse is that there was a lot less horse in front of me, so if we landed from a drop or he decided to put his head down and buck or act silly I had damn well better be in the back seat! That was actually a nice part of my education courtesy of a small horse.

OP, you came and asked this question on an eventing board. You will find that very few of us give a rat's behind about what is "suitable" in the looks, fashion, or tradition department. Handsome is as handsome does and getting the job done well comes in all shapes and sizes.
                      Last edited by deltawave; Jan. 17, 2013, 04:30 PM.
                      Click here before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalila View Post
                        LOL! Even I found this funny.

Personally, I don't like to ride horses that are larger than 16.2hh. I look like a bug on top of the big ones. Whenever I ride our 18.0hh Hanoverian, my trainers laugh at me. LOL.
                        It's just that in the hunter world if you're over 5' tall you need to be on a 16.2+hander to look "appropriate," or at least that's what current fashions dictate. In eventing/dressage/any other discipline, there is less concern about the "look" as long as the pair is comfortably doing their job.

Comment

I joke, I joke!
                          But coming from a hunter background, I'd assume they'd know that Small Junior Hunters are under 16H, and regularly jump around 3'6". I'm not sure why a horse that size's ability to jump would be surprising Now whether a 4YO should be doing that height is an entirely different discussion, regardless of breed.

I'm 5'10 and have a 16H horse, and have ridden friend's horses in the 15.something range without feeling oversized in the slightest. The lack of neck in front of me bothers me more than where my legs are, but I think that has more to do with my particular horse's giraffe neck than height.
                          A Year In the Saddle

Comment

Just so you'll know, the cavalry, which was composed of all men, some of whom were large and some of whom were small, had a suggested upper limit for their horses of 15h3" in the remount breeding programs. Anything over that was sold to private riders who preferred bigger horses. The cavalry didn't need them.
                            "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                            Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

I competed a 15.2-15.3H TB mare (chestnut too)...I'm 5'9" with long legs. At the time I was thin (125-135lbs). We competed Training level, schooled Prelim and was about to move up to Prelim when I sold her. I jumped her over 4'6"...courses. She was easiest to jump when the fences were above her head! Almost unrideable at anything under 3'9"....she was opinionated! She ended up in a jumper home....as the fences in eventing were a bit too small for her Can't always be riding around Burghley!

My long legs were NOT the issue at all. Because she was smaller, I just had to be very very quiet with my upper body as I could influence her more. She was NOT too small for me but I did have to be a better rider on her than I probably would have to on my bigger horses (although my current 16.1 hander is just as sensitive).
                              ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Geez, I am just reading this thread to see how much taller everyone is than me.

How does my 14.2 TB pony look at 3'9"?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1&l=cd9b5df0d1

Comment

I'm feeling a strange compulsion to post something on this thread, except that I can't figure out WTF this thread is about.

Comment

Ok so lets see... I had a 15 hand 1/2 brilliant mare, jumped over 5' (twice) with me I am 5'8". I had a 15.2 Irish Tb jump at least 4' with me a couple times. I currently own a just turned 5 TB gelding who is fine boned barely 15.3+ guy. He's very scopey and showed it one day in November....while he was still 4.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

That's 4'3" just fyi.

He did "big" jumps only twice last year. And handled it fine.

Have you seen the newer video of the pony currently doing 1.5 meters in Europe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__oJKUIAf3o

Now that's a hell of a PONY.

Her name is La Luna. Google her.

~Emily
                                    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Originally posted by JER View Post
                                      I'm feeling a strange compulsion to post something on this thread, except that I can't figure out WTF this thread is about.
                                      LMAO. That's awesome.
                                      I remember a thread a year or so ago that addressed how anyone over 150 lbs should never start horses and I had to speak up because my 6 foot 160 lb figure ONLY starts horses. And how it comes down to the riders horsemanship, balance and ability to "feel" what a young horse needs from it's rider at the exact moment adjustments are needed.

I think a single event when this little mare jumped 4' is totally acceptable. But as a 4 year old I would not expect someone to jump their horse often at that height.
                                      If I had a super scopey and super balance 4 year old I might play around in a gymnastic once just to .see. : )

Heck, my 3 year old OTTBs first time over fences (1 month off the track) was a gymnastic that ended up being a bounce to a 2'6" vertical with flower boxes. It's pretty easy to go from there to a 4' oxar on the way out.
                                      just sayin...
                                      http://kaboomeventing.com/
                                      http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
                                      Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

I'm 5'10 and my ponies regularly jumped over 4' back in the day. Sure, I looked big on them -- but they were fine. Had a lot of fun, too. This was my 14.1 grade pony playing around 4'3 bareback at home:

http://fordtraktor.shutterfly.com/pictures/17

I hit more than one rail with the sole of my foot over the years. You learn to keep your stirrups short and your toes up. Not bad ideas anyway. I did learn to pinch with my knee because there's nothing else to hold on with.

A 4 year old doing one 4' fence is not the end of the world, either.
                                        Last edited by fordtraktor; Jan. 19, 2013, 12:09 PM. Reason: EDITED TO FIX LINK

Comment

Originally posted by RAyers View Post
                                          Geez, I am just reading this thread to see how much taller everyone is than me.

How does my 14.2 TB pony look at 3'9"?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1&l=cd9b5df0d1
                                          I think your little TB looks awful and you're definitely too big for it, you should send it my way snazzy horse!

Comment

Working...
                                          X