• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What?! No more Nigel at Rolex??!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by groom View Post
    Is your opinion based on actual experience working at Rolex, or simply on the basis that you are smarter than everyone else?
    Done it a few times recently. Enjoyed the experience thoroughly. If they will have me, I'd hope to do it many more times to come.

Re the outriders: Are mounted stewards different from the normal outriders? XC day is sometimes long, and it's hard for a horse and rider who are also objects of crowd attention to stand in one place all day, sometimes without even a lunch break. That's why I said they move or get distracted. I'm thinking of one recent day where the outrider was very little help at all.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Jan. 21, 2013, 04:47 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Nigel's post is an example of a gentleman and class act. I cannot see that importing an announcer can save any money - but it is a done deal so that is the way it will be.

Just ... if it ain't broke, why fix it?
      Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Correct Laz. The Area Stewards are Control's eyes on site in case of emergency, fence judges report to control. The announcer is really for the spectators and for the XC personnel to hear how it's all going outside their Area when they have time to listen

Comment

NBC scripts the jumbotron. This has nothing to do with the announcer.

Comment

Dear Nigel,
            You rock. Where will you be announcing this year? I want to hear my old grey boy's name said by you before he (and I) quit. Thanks for everything!
            --Retread
            Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
            Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

I've never worked at Rolex but at any event... the announcer is more for spectators and competitors than for officials/volunteers. and nothing that comes out of the announcer's mouth should be taken as a hard and fast rule either (ie: if the announcer says you had a refusal, maybe you did, maybe you didn't). I know we announcers try to get things right but the scoreboard is the official word on scoring, just as control is the official word on what's going on.
              "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                I'd say the guards never know what's going on except through the announcer. Once everything starts, the area stewards have a lot more to worry about than crossing guards.
                Not true at all. I have been an area steward for the past two years at Rolex and will be there again this year. The layers of volunteers at each fence is quite frankly pretty staggering. Each element of each complex has multiple bodies for maximum eyes on. There were three area stewards at the Head of the Lake last year and we all took turns alerting the crossing guards about closing off the crossing. Perhaps mid course, when a crossing is not near a fence, the guards are a little more on their own, but the area stewards still oversee and help them.
                www.amiddle-agedmadwomantakesthereins.blogspot.com

www.pegasusridge.com

Comment

Originally posted by LAZ View Post
                  As an area steward at Rolex I will say we do worry about the crossings once the event is started. We try to keep an eye on all aspects of safety/communication within our area and anticipate any area of trouble/congestion, address them and stay in touch with Control if we need them. That includes moving mounted stewards around so they have a better line of sight for a given crossing if needed. If the PA went down we could operate independently of it (given that the radios are still working). I'd hazard a guess that the PA on XC is the least important of any sort of communications to the actual running of the competition. It is much more important to the general crowd. The radios reporting in to Control are much, much more important.
                  What LAZ said.
                  www.amiddle-agedmadwomantakesthereins.blogspot.com

www.pegasusridge.com

Comment

A little update

I sent a quick email outlining our collective disappointment at Nigel's departure ( and a few other things) to the Executive Director of Equestrian Events, Lee Carter. It was not a rant, just something to let them know that there were a great many people who were quite upset at what they deemed unfair treatment of someone who had become "the voice" of Rolex.

I quickly received a thoughtful and understanding response which, among other things, indicated that this was not a hasty decision on their part and they realized that different aspects of this very special competition meant different things to different people.

Yes, it was couched in carefully worded language, and no, we will never be privy to any discussions, but my email was responded to very promptly and my concerns were addressed.

So while flinging and numphing on a bb might not get the results you want, often times a well thought out letter will at least answer some questions and ease the pain a bit.

Nigel already seems to have taken the high road, we should follow his lead.

Carry on with the "hear a whistle, shift yer arse" discussion.

Comment

Guise, guise. Lets hope for the best in regards to the horsepark. No point in being doom and gloom. I get it change is bad, and scary. But it's also the only constant in the universe.

Comment

Please post your answer. Let's see if it is the same as mine
                        www.ncsporthorse.com

Comment

Correcting an error I made in an earlier posting. NBC does not script the Jumbotron. The production company Carr-Hughes is reponsible for the feed. It's not on NBC anymore but is streamed on the USEF network.

Comment

no more Rolex on TV? I always enjoyed watching it aftyer
                            I saw it live. Got to see some stuff that we missed...
                            Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
                            Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
                            "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Comment

Originally posted by shea'smom View Post
                              Please post your answer. Let's see if it is the same as mine
                              Almost word for word as the one I got.
                              We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
                              www.dleestudio.com

Comment

Working...
                              X