• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I talked with an Animal Communicator today...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I talked with an Animal Communicator today...

A purely anecdotal, lighthearted reporting of what exactly transpired. Not intended to cause any sort of debate.

On a whim, I decided to set up an appointment with an "animal communicator" located in my state. She was having a "special", making it affordable enough for me to say what the hey, let's hear what the animals have to say. I did my best not to give any leads or reactions, all we started with was a name and color - and mostly let her tell me what she was seeing or hearing. I was skeptical at the beginning of the call but not closed-minded, feeling a little silly for doing this but still slightly curious as to what might come about anyway. So, here's what came about:
    ----

She talked briefly with a previous horse (Red) of mine before the big guy, another previous horse after that (Honeybear) and then the baby and Mr. Heinz' mare, but this is the most substantive reading:

She found the big guy, who was sort of my underlying motive for the call. She said he seemed very kind, but is a bit of a worry wart and watches everything and everyone around him. She also mentioned that she saw some tension and uneasiness in his stomach. He told her he doesn't like surprises, or loud noises, they make him nervous and worried. He also doesn't like small children running around at all. I asked about how he felt, if he had any pain anywhere - and she described to me in great detail a soreness in his right shoulder, specifically in a particular area (around the humeral joint, radiating, not the elbow though), and said he was showing her the last footfall of the right lead, the step where the RF is fully weight-bearing - and that that was when it was most painful. Pulling the knee up and forward makes it hurt also, and that bodywork or laser therapy would potentially help, pulling the knee down and backward also helped it feel better. He's also very tight at the base of the neck on the right side and generally muscle-stiff all over - and that he stands very still often because of it. He was also showing her that he would like his LF lower leg, especially around the tendons, rubbed, and that while he would not understand it at first, would enjoy and benefit from a facial massage.

We briefly discussed his lack of barn name and he did tell her he would really like to have one. Something warm and fuzzy that would give him happy feelings when he hears it. I mentioned that he was called Moose before, and he told her that it was a derogatory name and he didn't like it at all. He showed her that he sort of shuts himself down, but not in a nasty way, just tries not to feel - and doesn't know how to relax. Going to work makes him tense.

I asked if there was a particular job he enjoyed doing, and he immediately showed her some small jumps, with a happy feeling, and then some very BIG jumps, but said that landing from jumps hurt the sore shoulder. He also mentioned that he likes the discipline and control of dressage, but not as much as the jumps. She couldn't tell if he was indicating that he *had* jumped really big jumps, or that he would like to, just that he kept showing them to her and was very happy about them.

I indicated that there was a period of his history that I could not account for, and asked if he had anything to share about that time. He showed her a rope halter with knots and a girl doing a lot of yanking on his face, which made him very confused. He also showed her some sort of gaming-type activity where he was in an enclosed arena being asked to move at speed around obstacles, and that he did not understand why they expected him to go so fast in such a small area, he was too big to move like that and that running was only supposed to happen in open spaces. He showed her that this time in his life was very frustrating and boring for him.

She saw that he was very athletic and a nice mover, in spite of the sore shoulder. She said she kept getting the feeling that if we worked out the shoulder issue and tightness in his body, that he could really do a lot, athletically speaking. He also mentioned later that he was worried that the new kid was going to become my main focus and that I wouldn't be "his person" anymore. He told her likes the new kid, but doesn't really know how to interact with him when he tries to play.

-------

So, there you have it.
    Last edited by Heinz 57; Jan. 10, 2013, 06:16 PM.

Well, DOES your horse have a sore shoulder? Has a vet confirmed this?

Personally - I just do not believe that horses understand the english lanuage to the point that they would feel insulted by being called Moose!

I am just too rational.
    APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Appsolute View Post
      Well, DOES your horse have a sore shoulder? Has a vet confirmed this?

Personally - I just do not believe that horses understand the english lanuage to the point that they would feel insulted by being called Moose!

I am just too rational.
      Like I said, just a fun reporting of the conversation. I don't want to get into arguments or debates about whether or not horses "speak english" or if it's all a crock of horse sh!t.

As for the shoulder, he has not been examined by a vet in about a year. I can attest that he has indicated soreness in that area before, however.

Comment

Sounds like the requisite "hot buttons" were pushed.
        Click here before you buy.

Comment

• Original Poster

Hey, I just thought it was a fun story. I didn't have any expectations and wasn't attempting to use the AC as a lameness exam or to "fix" any problems. I just wanted to see what she'd say they had to say.

Comment

Can you confirm or deny any of what she said ?
            ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Equibrit View Post
              Can you confirm or deny any of what she said ?
              Call me crazy, but yes, I can confirm. And there is nothing I can deny, between the 5 different horses that "spoke" to her. The shoulder issue will be interesting to explore - I have a massage appointment for him shortly and will be interested to see if the bodyworker finds what the communicator described (without telling her, of course).

Comment

I love this stuff, real or not I think it's really entertaining! Sounds like you need to come up with a cute barn name!

Comment

Did the horse not have a preference for its own name? What did his mom call him?
                  Click here before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by TBDressage916 View Post
                    I love this stuff, real or not I think it's really entertaining! Sounds like you need to come up with a cute barn name!
                    I'm with TB on this one!!

Comment

How about Bear? Short for Teddy Bear?

Warm, fuzzy, and gag-worthy. Kidding!!

I used to use a chiropractor in IL that was an animal communicator, but she didn't advertise because she didn't want to be discredited. She was a damn good chiro, and she told me some things about my dog and a mare I was riding at the time that had me go "Damn".
                      runnjump86 Instagram

Horse Junkies United guest blogger

Comment

Heinz - this really made me smile. Thanks for sharing!

I do believe some people have a gift for intuition + greater powers of observation than the norm. I listened to the local Communicator do a reading for my former lease horse's owner. Some of the things she said were pretty "duh" obvious, a few things missed the mark, and with some enlightened insight as well. She did note a bad neck strain in another horse at the barn who had been off and even the vet had missed that. After daily massage for a few weeks, the horse improved greatly.

My own massage therapist has a lot of training with alternate medicine. After dealing with some lengthy lameness issues with my own horse and finally being in the clear, I went to see her to get the kinks out of my shoulders. She said I had been carrying a heavy burden. I briefly told her about my horse's issues and she told me things about my horse that made my jaw drop, they were so spot on. The best thing she said was, "Your horse wants you not to worry about him anymore". Take it for what it's worth but it really resonated with me.

I don't think it's a "psychic" thing - just a more heightened emotional, tactile and/or visual perceptiveness.

Comment

I've had three horses read. 2 by one communicator, and 1 by another.

All three horses have "told" me things that helped clear up a mystery lameness/there is no way she could have known/no one had any clue about but vet/chiro/massage therapist confirmed within 12 hours.

Lots of things were generic "horoscope" things that could be applied in anyway to any horse.

But... there were enough things that were Spot. On...
                          Big Idea Eventing

Comment

Thanks for sharing Heinz. Let us know what the massage therapist tells you.

For the record, my mare understands the english language far better than many humans, as attested to by more than one trainer and vet.
                            "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
                            Courtesy my cousin Tim

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                              Did the horse not have a preference for its own name? What did his mom call him?
                              To be honest, I did not ask about previous names, so while you're joking, I can't answer that question. He just said he wanted a happy name, something that would make him feel happy when he hears it.

runNjump...ironically, the first name that popped into my head when she said that was Teddy. Were you reading my mind? I did ask him about the name tonight, but I'm not exactly sure I got a response.

In all seriousness, we are going to check out the shoulder for soreness. I did another serious scritchy-rub session with him tonight and he was ever-so-grateful, wiggly lip and all. The winter gunk from being blanketed all the time makes him really, really itchy.

Comment

Teddy works! Warm and fuzzy. Thanks for great 'reporting.' I love this stuff too for entertainment value. Your report is very similar to the animal communicator in Horse Heaven by Jane Smiley. There were lots of fun snippets from the horse's streaming. It was explained not as words so much as pictures. Names did get associated to words - as in the horse liking to have a good name!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Justa Bob View Post
                                  Teddy works! Warm and fuzzy. Thanks for great 'reporting.' I love this stuff too for entertainment value. Your report is very similar to the animal communicator in Horse Heaven by Jane Smiley. There were lots of fun snippets from the horse's streaming. It was explained not as words so much as pictures. Names did get associated to words - as in the horse liking to have a good name!
                                  This is how it sounded to me. She frequently said he was showing her things - an arena with poles in it, jumps, the rope halter he didn't like, the arena with the obstacles, the spot on his shoulder that was sore and how to make it feel better...and so on. Which is why I don't think it's about whether or not horses "speak english" per se - as silly as it sounds, it sounded more like a sharing of thoughts (pictures, concepts) and memories than a spoken conversation like you'd have with a person.

Comment

I've had a couple of experiences with communicators. The last involved a beloved JRT who had a mysterious illness. Although the dog did indicate she knew something was wrong with her, it didn't bother her and she wanted to continue competing, in her words, "I want to go out a champion." What that dog DID do was tell the communicator that my [I]other[I] dog was dying and that dog's biggest worry was that she was desperately unhappy that she was going to make me sad when she passed. I passed the message to her, that while I would miss her terribly, we'd had wonderful times together and that when it was time she should tell me and I'd send her to the Bridge to be with her mom.

At that moment, dog #2 came into the room, jumped up on the couch (displacing dog #1 - a rare occurance) snuggled into my lap and gave me a kiss and wagged her tail.

Two months later dog #1 was champion in her event. Less than a month later, both dogs were gone. but I felt much better.
                                    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
                                    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Comment

I am often skeptical of psychics and the like. To be frank, I still am a bit of a skeptic. But there is a woman that my trainer has known and taught for many years. And she communicates. Mostly I get the feel that she is largely empathic. But she also asks them questions. They can offer up information, but if there is something specific we'd like to know, she can ask. The process is interesting to watch.

Personally I had her visit my horse one day. She had never met me or my horse before. And I highly doubt my trainer gave her any information prior to my visit. I was told that Kiss was very happy in her new place. She liked being outside more and having things to do. She was on daytime only turnout at my old barn versus about 20 hour+ turnout at the new stable. I asked if she enjoyed her new job as she's an OTTB. Kiss replied that she did, but was confused sometimes. Heck I sure know I was confused myself as we were both learning something new. But the thing that really got me. Was that the communicator offered up that Kiss enjoyed our quiet time. When I get around people, I get really loud she said. The woman had never met me to know that I am loud person. She certainly didn't know about my recent discovery of cuddle time with Kiss. My previous horses weren't cuddlers. She also told me that Kiss and I were a perfect match. It's something that was quite obvious to me but nice to hear. She also sometimes gets names from horses. Kiss told her Mona. Sure like Mona Lisa, but I am pretty happy with Kiss as her name! She'll have to settle with "Momma" not that she's ever foaled...

But that's just my one reading. There is also the story if our stable's pony, Pockets. He was a grouchy little Quarter Pony from the start. He'd school all the new kids without a question. Ok maybe he'd pause to sneak a little grass, but otherwise he was a stinker. He'd pin his ears at you on the ground. One day my trainer had the communicator go talk to Pockets. He told her that he wished he had a person. He had always been a school pony, and he'd just like someone. So one day my trainer's daughter-in-law told him that she was his person. But he still had to help around at the farm. That pony has been a delight to handle ever since.

Another story was of my trainer's daughter-in-law's current horse. He's a 19 year old OTTB with plenty of training in Eventing and Hunting. But this past show season, he had become a pill. Her last show with him, he was dishonest and refused a jump in stadium just to go beautifully over something in the warm up ring. This wasn't his first refusal, but basically her last straw so she asked for the communicator to come out and speak to him. His response to his nastiness was that he knew all of that stuff and didn't need to do it anymore. Her husband told him he would to it anyhow, and the damn horse stepped on him! He has since been retired to a hunt horse as he is an absolute ANGEL in the hunt field.

Finally my last story. Congrats if you made it this far. But this communicator spoke over the phone with a former student of my trainer's and a hardcore skeptic. The first horse the communicator spoke about unprompted was of a horse that had passed away. The woman burst into tears over the phone as she was obviously calling in reference to another horse.

I also have a chiro that communicates. I think he's more empathic than a communicator. But he gave me some insight to my horse at the time. He told me that she was quite smart (I know we all think our horse is the smartest ever, but my girl is quite intelligent!) and to be careful with her intelligence. She can buffalo. What horse can't? He also told me of how sensitive she is and to try to think of what I want her to do. Sometimes I am quite sure she has read my mind.

Honestly the way I see the whole communicator thing is that it's neat. Sometimes it provides you with a different way of looking at things. The woman we often use to communicate also suggests good strategies for training. She says that they like when you tell them what you plan to do for the day. It builds trust as long as you stick to the plan. It doesn't have up be detailed or anything.

I often try to be around when she comes to visit because she almost always has something neat to say. Right now I am chomping at the bit for her next visit because I have some questions.

Realistically had I not experienced her first hand and gotten such praise from my old school, tough cookie trainer, I would never believe in such silliness as a horse communicator. But this woman has me as a believer. I am still quite skeptical of others that claim it. I suppose it's a seeing is believing thing. Plus she doesn't charge anything to communicate. Big deal in my book!

Comment

I love animal communicators. I've had a few "meh" experiences and a few experiences that made my jaw drop. I'm glad you shared your story!

Suggestions for light, warm and fuzzy barn names:
                                        Teddy
                                        Jazzy
                                        Zippy
                                        Happy
                                        Jolly
                                        Lollipop
                                        Jerry
                                        Sunny

Comment

Working...
                                        X