• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Saddle fitter says one thing; County rep says another

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddle fitter says one thing; County rep says another

My usual saddle fitter recommended the County Innovation and said my horse will need the medium tree with the "skid row" panels. County rep came out, tried that size, measured, etc and said she was sure said horse needs narrow. She agrees with panel choice for tb dip.

What say you?
    Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
    Ms. Brazil

I can sort of see the narrow working for him (if it's the grey in the pic that we are talking about).

Comment

What does your horse say? Were you able to ride in a demo saddle?

I know County trees are very wide compared to other saddles. So if your horse is a medium in most trees, he may be Narrow in a County. To give you an example, I am switching my horse's saddle from a Beval to a Innovation. His medium in the Bevel is slightly too tight. He could very easily get a Narrow in County, but I am going with a Medium Narrow with Mattes pad for resale ease.
      Jacobson's Saddlery, LLC
      www.thesaddlefits.com
      Society of Master Saddlers trained saddle fitter

Comment

Most of my Tb's go in a narrow county (mine has skid row panels which are very helpful for those with hollows near withers and down the back). They have a nice wide channel and the panels allow contact on the back while giving spine clearance. However, if you thought the horse would change than I may go up a bit in size and pad up in the meantime. My medium county does fit some of the wider/rounder Tb's but I have that stuffed closer to the narrow side as well.
        http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

did first saddle fitter actually see either saddle on horse, girthed up, and you riding in it?

I would go with the person that has seen the saddle on the horse, girthed up, and then I would ride in it w-t-c, perhaps a few jumps, make sure it fits and that the horse likes it! There is no use in guessing at a size of a tree for a horse without seeing these things, it would be like saying I'm 5'6'', what size shoe should I wear?

I tried a few different CC saddles last year (I was coming from a MN county stabilizer). I felt different and my horse definitely had an opinion on different trees. I ended up going with the close second (We both loved the Amerigo DJ, but it was like $1500 more than the Vesuvio I ended up getting - which she goes much better in than the too narrow County and I feel secure in it)

Comment

My County Innovation is an XN because the tree runs so wide (my horse is a true narrow). I would go with what the County rep said since they are more familiar with their brand.

Comment

Listen to the county rep...County saddles in general run a lot wider than most other saddles....I've got 2 Innovations, my narrow with skid row panels-which would really be a medium in other brands is for my Tb's-, and my other Innovation is a medium which would be considered a wide in most other brands-is for my Wb's and my one exceptionally big/wb bodied Tb

Comment

• Original Poster

My regular saddle fitter has seen her a couple of times. She tried my trainer's County dressage saddle (medium) and said it would fit with stuffing where the hollows are. They're using a shim instead.

The rep put a medium demo on her and said she needs the narrow, also with the SR panels. She's bringing a narrow later this week.

My horse is narrowish an i can certainly believe she'd take a narrow but she is not 100% filled out. I don't feel competent to judge which person has it right.

What do you think about my asking to keep the demo for a day and hoeing the fitter for a second opinion?
                Ms. Brazil

Comment

My regular saddle fitter has seen her a couple of times. She tried my trainer's County dressage saddle (medium)
                  Which dressage saddle? the Perfection fits a bit wider, more compareable to the Innovation tree ...

My horse is narrowish an i can certainly believe she'd take a narrow but she is not 100% filled out. I don't feel competent to judge which person has it right.

What do you think about my asking to keep the demo for a day and hoeing the fitter for a second opinion?
                  How old is your horse?
                  You should definitely be able to arrange multiple rides on however many demo saddles as needed, some reps are able to leave saddles with you, others not so much depending on what's in their demo kit ... County head office can usually help track down a suiitable demo that you can have shipped in (just talk to your rep or call directly - you do need to pay shipping, but get to keep the saddle for several days, these are usually saddles on the "Demo List" but sometimes come out of "retired" demo kits).
                  You may want to try the Sensation if you haven't already.

If you're able to shop used, really try out the Stabilizer & Conquest as well, so you know what your horse needs in each saddle: sometimes you'll find that with more saddle time, your preferance changes.

Comment

Originally posted by gr8fulrider View Post
                    My regular saddle fitter has seen her a couple of times. She tried my trainer's County dressage saddle (medium) and said it would fit with stuffing where the hollows are. They're using a shim instead.

The rep put a medium demo on her and said she needs the narrow, also with the SR panels. She's bringing a narrow later this week.
                    Well, that right there could explain the confusion. It's likely that your fitters aren't disagreeing at all. They're actually saying the same thing. County builds a variety of saddles on a variety of trees, some A-shaped trees and some U-shaped trees. The U-shaped trees tend to run considerably wider than the A-shaped trees. It is not only very possible to have a horse who wears a medium A-shaped tree and a narrow U-shaped tree, it's downright common. There's a horse in my barn with a similar split: his jump saddle is a U-shaped medium wide and his dressage saddle is an A-shaped extra wide.

So if your saddle fitter was talking about an A-shaped medium dressage saddle, and your County fitter was talking about a U-shaped narrow jump saddle, they may be talking about saddles that would fit exactly the same horse.
                    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

Having been through a custom saddle with a County rep, and then more recently using a saddle fitter that was not brand specific, I would probably lean towards the medium tree depending on the age and muscle of your horse. The medium with a mattes pad will help with fit, and allow his topline to fill out as his back changes...but if he's at his peak, then he may be a true narrow.

Just based on my experience, and a few friends that have bought County - It seems County tends to fit TB's into Narrow trees, the County saddle I had fitted to my TB was a Narrow with SR panels - I bought the new custom saddle. Fast forward 3 years, and now the saddle fitter I am using (non-County) said both my TB's need a medium-wide! The narrow was way too tight on both, including the one the saddle was originally made for.

Narrow trees are much harder to resell...so keep that in mind too.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. This is a lot of good stuff to go on.
                        Ms. Brazil

Comment

It seems County tends to fit TB's into Narrow trees, the County saddle I had fitted to my TB was a Narrow with SR panels - I bought the new custom saddle. Fast forward 3 years, and now the saddle fitter I am using (non-County) said both my TB's need a medium-wide!
                          How old was your TB when fitted for his custom? did you have the tree re-assessed close to the 1 year mark (County will change out the tree at minimal cost if a tree change is needed within the first year BUT this does not apply to any saddles off the Demo List).

I have a Welsh Cob who went from a med-narrow to a med between 3 & 4, then from a med to a wide between 4 & 5 ...
                          Trainers "rescue" OTTB went from a N to MW between 3 & 5 ... (& that was with minimal work as his feet were a disaster) ...

I would probably lean towards the medium tree depending on the age and muscle of your horse.
                          A Medium Innovation on a "narrow" TB with a high wither would likely result in the saddle sitting down on the wither when horse canters etc - especially after the wool settles, if OP wants to go with a Med tree on this horse, a Sensation or Stabilizer/Conquest would likely be a safer choice ...

Comment

Originally posted by gr8fulrider View Post
                            Thanks, everyone. This is a lot of good stuff to go on.
                            I just realized this is (maybe) for Brazil W - lovely, lovely horse

If so, I'd assume that she will likely build a fair amount of topline (I don't think you've done much intensive training yet) - going back to Sarah Andrew's photos I'd encourage you into the Sensation etc, if you stay with the Innovation, really grill your County rep about the suitability of that tree with her wither & watch for any impingement over time.

(of course I can't see much from that single photo so I'm making some pretty big assumptions here )

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by alto View Post
                              I just realized this is (maybe) for Brazil W - lovely, lovely horse

If so, I'd assume that she will likely build a fair amount of topline (I don't think you've done much intensive training yet) - going back to Sarah Andrew's photos I'd encourage you into the Sensation etc, if you stay with the Innovation, really grill your County rep about the suitability of that tree with her wither & watch for any impingement over time.

(of course I can't see much from that single photo so I'm making some pretty big assumptions here )
                              Thank you. Yes, it's for Ms. Brazil. She has a lot more topline since that picture was taken. She's not all of the way there, but if you see her now and in six months you would not say 'I can't believe that's the same horse!" She does still have what I call the "valleys" though. My regular fitter thought she was developed enough for me to get a forever saddle.

So, after trying a bunch of stuff on her on Monday, the County lady came back last night with several saddles she thought could work. I mixed the Conquest because I could tell it would be wrong for my conformation. The Stabilizer just did not work on Brazil at all. It bridged weirdly. She has a narrow innovation with SR and shoulder gussets that really makes sense for her conformation. At this point it actually ran a tad wide on her but was perfect with a shimmed Mattes pad- which i think bodes well for her as she fills out, as does the fact that the shoilder gussets can be adjusted. I have it on trial.

It's nicer than any piece of furniture I've ever owned. My horse has a tough life.
                              Ms. Brazil

Comment

I have it on trial.
                                best words ever when considering saddles

Now do a lesson followed by a cooling hack so you're in the saddle for a couple of hours - that will usually clarify any fit issue for you

She has a lot more topline since that picture was taken.
                                & where are the photos!!!
                                I bet Sarah would love to come out & do some
                                - except she's likely m.i.l.e.s away

Did you try the Sensation? I now it's $$ more BUT several people have gotten them from the Demo List at the 20% sale ...
                                (anyone that has the right horse shape for the CS , has raved about the difference in their horse between the CS & the CI)

jn4jenny would absolutely counsel you to try some of the Hastilow or Black Country etc saddles that also offer similar panels, especially if you want to consider used (Hastilow usually has a considerable used selection).

I didn't seriously consider any saddle that didn't have a real local rep (travelling though once a month during show season was not my idea of "local")

Comment

Keep in mind that you can also have the tree adjusted if she needs something wider.

I bought a used County that had been widened before I bought it. While it worked fine on my WB Next spring I'm having it narrowed to fit my TB.

You just need to be careful that you use someone who knows what they are doing.
                                  Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                                  EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Working...
                                  X