• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Rider Fitness 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I've been going to yoga or a fitness class a few times a week. I've also been riding daily.

    I've noticed a bit of improvement in my core strength, but I still have a ways to go. I think I'm going to kick up the core work a notch by going to a 30 minute core class twice a week and doing a 15 min core dvd a few days a week.

    I also have awful posture (upper cross syndrome) and will be starting to strengthen my upper back muscles etc. Also need to focus on stretching out the chest muscles.

    Comment


    • Well I'm down 4 lbs so far I'm able to lose 10 pounds without noticing any difference so we'll see what happens when I reach that mark. Whether I can lose more than 10 lbs will be the big test.

      Comment


      • How do you work out when you don't have time to go to a gym?

        So my time is very limited. I have five horses, with four (theoretically) under saddle, and one getting fit to run Int this year. I work full time and try to ride in the evenings. I have a lunch break and there is a Golds Gym nearby.

        I do have a lot of "down" time in my office. I am a Psychologist and do assessments and I would guess that out of the 8 hours in a day, on average I am idle for 2 of those hours. (I am fast at writing up assessments and sometimes clients do not show up or an appointment slot does not fill.) I could easily do some sort of work out in my office as it is private and I can close the door. Of course, I could not do a serious aerobic work out, for obvious reasons.

        I have a yoga mat and got an exercise roll. I am thinking about coming up with a exercise program where I can do it in the office and follow some sort of video (I'd have to use ear buds, of course).

        Anyone have a good regiment that is useful? I really need core strength (as we all do). And I have thought about buying one of the videos on rider fitness.

        http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_sc...e2c7e444&ajr=1

        Any ideas, suggestions? Anyone else in this predicament?

        Ann

        Comment


        • Originally posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
          So my time is very limited. I have five horses, with four (theoretically) under saddle, and one getting fit to run Int this year. I work full time and try to ride in the evenings. I have a lunch break and there is a Golds Gym nearby.

          I do have a lot of "down" time in my office. I am a Psychologist and do assessments and I would guess that out of the 8 hours in a day, on average I am idle for 2 of those hours. (I am fast at writing up assessments and sometimes clients do not show up or an appointment slot does not fill.) I could easily do some sort of work out in my office as it is private and I can close the door. Of course, I could not do a serious aerobic work out, for obvious reasons.

          I have a yoga mat and got an exercise roll. I am thinking about coming up with a exercise program where I can do it in the office and follow some sort of video (I'd have to use ear buds, of course).

          Anyone have a good regiment that is useful? I really need core strength (as we all do). And I have thought about buying one of the videos on rider fitness.

          http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_sc...e2c7e444&ajr=1

          Any ideas, suggestions? Anyone else in this predicament?

          Ann
          Go before work. I joined a gym that has a class at 5:30 am, I can go to the gym, come home and shower/ do hair/ etc and go to work.

          If you have easy hair, go to a gym close to work and shower/ change at the gym, then go to work.

          ellemayo, congrats on the 4 lbs!

          I wasn't sore until about 9pm last night from day 1 at the gym, but now I am sore. Was going to go back today, but need to give my muscles a chance to recover a bit. Will go back Sunday am! I am motivated!
          Unrepentant carb eater

          Comment


          • Ann, how about a walking desk? Where's scubed....she just got one. I think they are a brilliant idea!

            I think I'm losing weight, but not for the right reasons (forgetting to eat/not making time to eat rather than eating better). The bike is dusty.
            Amanda

            Comment


            • a walking desk??? Google, here I come!

              Comment


              • Just checked out the walking desk and I don't think it would fit into my office. What an ingenious idea though!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Judysmom View Post
                  Go before work. I joined a gym that has a class at 5:30 am, I can go to the gym, come home and shower/ do hair/ etc and go to work.

                  If you have easy hair, go to a gym close to work and shower/ change at the gym, then go to work.
                  ^^ this is a great idea. I am not sure how dedicated I would be though . Several years ago, I signed on at a gym and decided to go early in the morning and I just didn't get it done. The gyms are near work. I live far away from everything civilized. Thanks! I will consider this if I can't find a way to work out while I'm at work...

                  Comment


                  • I get up early and do a workout video while my horses eat (one is a slow eater . . . ). After work I just don't have the motivation/energy--much easier to get excited for riding.

                    There is a woman I work with who sits on one of those big balls instead of a chair and swears by it. I am considering--as long as I'm stuck sitting those hours anyway . . .

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
                      I could easily do some sort of work out in my office as it is private and I can close the door. Of course, I could not do a serious aerobic work out, for obvious reasons.

                      I have a yoga mat and got an exercise roll. I am thinking about coming up with a exercise program where I can do it in the office and follow some sort of video (I'd have to use ear buds, of course).

                      Anyone have a good regiment that is useful? I really need core strength (as we all do). And I have thought about buying one of the videos on rider fitness.
                      You don't need aerobic work or a video or even much more than 5-10 minutes at a time.

                      Do bodyweight exercises. Squats and lunges of different types, push-ups, mountain climbers, wall presses, etc. Make a set of 2 or 3 different exercises -- say, ab roll-outs, prisoner squats, pushups -- do 1x12 in sequence x 3. Pick three different exercises for your next break for that day.

                      YouTube has loads of videos on these exercises. Like this one.

                      Don't expect it to be easy if you're doing it right. When you engage your sympathetic nervous system you can only do so for brief periods of time, whether you are a human or a horse (the best explanation of this is in Jean-Marie Denoix's book Physical Therapy and Massage for the Horse). After going through a cycle of unfamiliar bodyweight exercises that really stress your system, you may feel exhausted or shaky or nauseous, even if you've only been exercising for a few minutes. But this is how progress is made.

                      I recommended the Power Wheel earlier on this thread. It's an excellent office toy, although you can use a foam roll for the same purpose.

                      The walking desk isn't going to get anyone fit. It might keep you moving, you'll burn some calories, but fitness won't happen that way.

                      Comment


                      • JER, I forgot about the power wheel. I have one of the big balls to sit on and you can do a ton of exercises with those things as well. I just have to remember how to do them from when I went to a gym regularly.

                        The roll is also great. But I will need to study via a book or video to make sure I am using the roll, power wheel, and ball correctly. I am beginning to feel optimistic about this.

                        I also need to walk or run more. Just in the past month, since I started this job, I feel much less fit and it's because I am not moving about. My previous job required that I go to quite a few different sites, and just getting to and from, and the walking and moving about, made a big difference. Plus, the weather has been terrible for riding (no indoor, rock frozen ground etc). So I am probably in worse shape than I've been in years, if not in forever.

                        So, this may just work!

                        Comment


                        • Burpees!

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU9vmUk8jUg

                          I forgot about Burpees. I could certainly bring some shoes and do a few of these each day....

                          Ann

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
                            JER, I forgot about the power wheel. I have one of the big balls to sit on and you can do a ton of exercises with those things as well. I just have to remember how to do them from when I went to a gym regularly.

                            The roll is also great. But I will need to study via a book or video to make sure I am using the roll, power wheel, and ball correctly. I am beginning to feel optimistic about this.
                            The PowerWheel video is on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkVWUxzTB-Q. So is just about every other exercise. YouTube has it all.

                            Originally posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
                            I also need to walk or run more. Just in the past month, since I started this job, I feel much less fit and it's because I am not moving about. My previous job required that I go to quite a few different sites, and just getting to and from, and the walking and moving about, made a big difference. Plus, the weather has been terrible for riding (no indoor, rock frozen ground etc). So I am probably in worse shape than I've been in years, if not in forever.
                            Walk or run for what purpose? If you want fitness, short bursts of engaging exercise will do far more for you. If you're riding and caring for five horses, you're getting a good amount of steady-state aerobic movement already.

                            You need intensity for improvement.

                            Comment


                            • Here is the Exercise "Roll" that I have. I have used it once, even though I bought it in November.

                              http://www.tptherapy.com/shop/smrt-c...ndle-pack.html

                              And I already bought the exercise wheel. Free shipping if ordered through Amazon.com
                              Last edited by Winding Down; Feb. 2, 2013, 02:31 PM. Reason: additional information

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by JER View Post
                                Walk or run for what purpose? If you want fitness, short bursts of engaging exercise will do far more for you. If you're riding and caring for five horses, you're getting a good amount of steady-state aerobic movement already.

                                You need intensity for improvement.
                                I believe I need both. My cardio fitness is not good, despite doing chores etc. I just don't get my heartrate up at all when caring for horses. Same with riding. I could could also stand to lose the 10 lbs I've gained since October.

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
                                  And I already bought the exercise wheel. Free shipping if ordered through Amazon.com
                                  Excellent. You'll love it.

                                  The PowerWheel is also a very good tool for keeping the cat off the sofa.

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by JER View Post
                                    The PowerWheel is also a very good tool for keeping the cat off the sofa.
                                    ^^ Wha?? Do you wack the cat with the wheel, while lying down watching tv?

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by ahbaumgardner View Post
                                      ^^ Wha?? Do you wack the cat with the wheel, while lying down watching tv?
                                      I don't watch TV. We have one but I'm not sure that I'd know how to turn it on. It's in a side room, not the main living room, so it really isn't on my radar. Plus, I've never been in the habit of watching TV.

                                      One of my cats is a dreadful, hairy, self-aggrandizing beast named, appropriately, Chairman Mao. He only wants to be where he is not wanted. Rather than shoo him away -- which only fuels his ego and determination to annoy -- I put the power wheel next to him. It's unstable, it's not cuddly, and it's exercise equipment. He waits it out for a few seconds, then scurries off to plot his next move.

                                      Comment


                                      • haha, sounds like it is worth the price just for that. Chairman Meow Tse Tung! Bahaha!

                                        Originally posted by JER View Post
                                        I don't watch TV. We have one but I'm not sure that I'd know how to turn it on. It's in a side room, not the main living room, so it really isn't on my radar. Plus, I've never been in the habit of watching TV.

                                        One of my cats is a dreadful, hairy, self-aggrandizing beast named, appropriately, Chairman Mao. He only wants to be where he is not wanted. Rather than shoo him away -- which only fuels his ego and determination to annoy -- I put the power wheel next to him. It's unstable, it's not cuddly, and it's exercise equipment. He waits it out for a few seconds, then scurries off to plot his next move.

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by DefyingGravityEventing View Post
                                          I have two horses under 14.3 hands... and since I expect such great things from them (one does advanced), I give myself a weight to stay around. During the competition season, I have found that the p90x DVDs are the most helpful... I wake up early before work (because at the end of the day I'm exhausted or need to spend quality time with the boyfriend - so he doesn't think I love the horses that much more than him!). I don't do the workouts that religiously (usually 4-5 times a week)... because I don't feel the need to be a complete beast... just enough to keep the 5-10 lbs off..... And I keep my snacks healthy... nuts, oatmeal, all that good stuff! (And only one glass of wine in the evenings).

                                          In one of the DVDs, the "team member" has one leg... and good lord he kicks my butt every time! Super depressing.
                                          I also still enjoy the P90X DVD's ... "out of style" now but I still find them effective. My problem is that I don't have a suitable area in this particular house to clear out room to do them. the living room is very small and it's hard to move the furniture far enough out of the way.

                                          We are moving in a few months so I think a bigger living room or spare room might be something I look for in a new house.

                                          Until then - I still ride 1-2 horses a day. I try to walk as much as possible (I park far away from the door of stores) and I try to do a lot farm chores that keep me moving. Ground driving around the neighborhood is great because you have to actually walk behind the horse, rather briskly.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X