• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

YEH writeup on USEA page

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YEH writeup on USEA page

Wasn't so much a writeup as a list of what some horses that did the YEH are doing now. I'm glad this is being tracked but hope there is a bit more analysis. Something like how the horses that scored well are performing vs. the horses that weren't scored well so the program can improve.

Thoughts?
    www.witsendeventing.com
    Facebook
    Twitter
    YouTube

What I found interesting is that the majority of the winners are either doing something else entirely or running around the lower levels whereas there are quite a few "other horses of note" who participated unsuccessfully in the program yet are running at the upper levels. What made those horses unsuccessful in FEH/YEH but successful in eventing? Gaits?

To make a comparison to show jumping or dressage, while everyone would agree that the future Olympic caliber grand prix SJ or dressage horse should win a young horse class, what should finish second, a horse that predicts to become a marginally successful GP horse or a horse that is likely to be super successful at 3'6" or third level dressage but unlikely to make GP ever?

I think FEH/YEH might be rewarding the eventing equivalent of the latter (i.e a horse that will do very very well at the lower levels, maybe up to intermediate) instead of the horse that is likely to finish 15th at Rolex.

Comment

The program was started to identify potential Advanced horses, but IIRC, the focus was changed to horses that would make nice sales horses for amateurs. Might be remembering incorrectly.
      "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
      Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
        The program was started to identify potential Advanced horses, but IIRC, the focus was changed to horses that would make nice sales horses for amateurs. Might be remembering incorrectly.

No...they added some awards for those horses that would be nice amateur horses. The scoring is still for UL prospects.

I'm sure they will do a follow up on more....but a lot of the issues are that if you have a really nice horse, dressage and SJ homes will still pay a lot more for them so they really nice ones do not always stay in eventer hands. Then there are injuries and other things that take them out of the mix (one of mine lost 1.5 years from a pasture accident for example). Then there is the fact that not all people take their horses to the finals depending on where they are held. Also, not all even horses do the YEH classes. Most I have are not ready for the 4 year old class and many are not ready for the 5 year old class. For example I have a lovely 5 year OTTB who I doubt will do the YEH as he is too green.....and my other one who is just as lovely didn't get restarted from the track until she was 6....so aged out.

But over all...the YEH program I think does a decent job. I'm not bothering with the FEH program any more (for a number of reasons)....mostly because none are near by and honestly just don't find them helpful.
        ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

I wonder about how well the YEH winners do as well. It may be that we will find that those who mature late, and therefore do not look "good" enough to do YEH, are the ones who succeed at the UL later on.

I've had plenty of young horses but have never done the YEH. I don't jump mine until they are well into their 4th year, and sometimes their 5th year. And it seems like a lot of work to do to get them ready to show, especially when they are gawky and goony looking as babies.

Comment

I'm positive that OTTBs get a "free year" so to speak. A friend of mine had an OTTB mare do the 5yo YEH as a 6yo. She was an H.M. on that list.
            Pacific Coast Eventing
            Standing Yeager GF

Comment

• Original Poster

Some Analysis of the YEH Champ/Reserve

My analysis only includes the horses that were chosen as champion or reserve champion. I don't believe it is fair to claim any horse that ever showed up as a success unless the judging system also picked that horse, likewise I don't think it fair to punish the program for the failure of any horse that attends. The flaw in this is I am not comparing the record of horses at the championship that weren't given top honors to those that were.

In comparing the program to it's goal of finding potential 4* talent I took the results from 2004-2007 (horses that would be 9-13 yrs old in 2012) and looked at where they are in their careers. There are 14 horses represented in the 16 possible spots (2 horses won/placed as both 4 and 5yo). Eight of the 14 are or were with a professional rider, the top level achieved by those 8 are shown below. Three of the 14 were competed in 2012 so there is the possibility of these numbers improving however 2 of those have been dropped back a level, one with a JR Rider, one can't seem to get around Intermediate consistently.

CCI4* 0
              CCI3* 0
              CIC3* 1 - Retired in 2008
              Advanced 0
              CCI2* 0
              CIC2* 3 - Still Competing, 1@2*, 2 dropped back to Prelim
              Intermediate 0
              CCI1* 0
              CIC1* 0
              Preliminary 4 - Retired in 2011,2008,2007,2011
              Training 0
              Novice 0
              BN 0

I also calculated the % Blood of the winners from 2004-2011. The YEH % Blood is 54.8%, the average % Blood for all 4* horses in the last 3 years (the "modern" event horse) is 75.8%. I think NCRider hit the nail on the head.
              www.witsendeventing.com
              Facebook
              Twitter
              YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by SuZQuzie View Post
                I'm positive that OTTBs get a "free year" so to speak. A friend of mine had an OTTB mare do the 5yo YEH as a 6yo. She was an H.M. on that list.
                I thought the free year was for mares that had been bred?

Comment

Originally posted by Wits End Eventing View Post

I also calculated the % Blood of the winners from 2004-2011. The YEH % Blood is 54.8%, the average % Blood for all 4* horses in the last 3 years (the "modern" event horse) is 75.8%.
                  Well, that's very interesting!

Comment

Thanks, Dale, for your number crunching.

Comment

It might be... when I asked Friend, she said it was because she was an OTTB, but the mare was bred as well (busy gal in her early years). I didn't see either exception in the 2012 rules.
                      Pacific Coast Eventing
                      Standing Yeager GF

Comment

I think part of the concern is who the YEH program is attracting - on the rider end. Unfortunately, there are not many professionals of elite status (significant accomplishments) that choose to support the YEH with their up and coming horses. I'm sure these professionals do not necessarily "need" the YEH program, and perhaps their money and time is better spent on horse trials for further education and qualifications for the horse's career.

The similar program in Europe appears to be better supported by established and rising professionals. And, from what I have been told, it has become a proven format to best pin horses with serious UL talent.

However, the European program is more established (age, funding, exposure, culture). Perhaps the YEH here in the US needs more time and support?
                        www.MurphyEventing.com

Follow us on FACEBOOK

Comment

2009 4 year old winner

The story of what the 4 year old winner of 2009 has been up to is on Eventing Nation. This one bred, owned, and competed by an AA.

http://eventingnation.com/home/ens-g...-accolade.html

Comment

Originally posted by EventingChase View Post
                            The story of what the 4 year old winner of 2009 has been up to is on Eventing Nation. This one bred, owned, and competed by an AA.

http://eventingnation.com/home/ens-g...-accolade.html
                            The owner's comments on the differences between US and British courses are illuminating.

Comment

Originally posted by sharri13 View Post
                              The similar program in Europe appears to be better supported by established and rising professionals. And, from what I have been told, it has become a proven format to best pin horses with serious UL talent.

However, the European program is more established (age, funding, exposure, culture). Perhaps the YEH here in the US needs more time and support?

I actually heard very similar issues with the YH program in England...but that program has been around a lot longer and there are a lot more purpose bred for eventing horses in England than here in the USA. I saw a very similar horse (and similar riders) at the finals held at Burghley this year as you see in the USA. Nice horses, and I'm sure some will continue up the levels in eventing but often it isn't the winner who turns out at the top levels (not always but often). At the finals I've been to in the USA--MOST of the riders were pros...and several are BN Pros...just as I saw at Burghley. I think the finals in the USA should continue to be held in conjunction with an event like Fair Hill....just as it seems to work in England to hold it with Burghley.

The program that seems to be the BEST indicator is Le Lion. That is for 6 and 7 year olds....and we do not have a similar competition like that here in the USA.

Honestly, the factors and time that it takes to produce a top international horse and how hard it is to keep the good ones in eventing hands who WANT to risk them at the highest levels of the sport is why I don't think you can but too much weight in a young horse program. It is also why I think I put even LESS weight in a FEH class which as one UL rider put it...becomes nothing more than a beauty pagent. At least the YEH classes are a bit closer of a judge but even still....you really can not tell if a horse will be a 4* horse until they have become a 4* horse. You can tell sooner which ones clearly will not be a 4*....but the reverse isn't true....there are just too many factors.
                              Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Jan. 4, 2013, 01:10 PM.
                              ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

The program that seems to be the BEST indicator is Le Lion. That is for 6 and 7 year olds....and we do not have a similar competition like that here in the USA.
                                I agree with this.

I think the discrepancy in maturity of 4 and 5 year olds is the toughest part of the YEH program. I've ridden 4 years olds that were freaking prodigies (Vernon...though I never took Vernon in YEH classes because it just wasn't worth the money. He wasn't a good enough mover to place well, and was born an old pro at the whole showing thing, so didn't need the mileage). And I've ridden 5 year olds that were just so immature! It just really depends.

But I do find that by the time a real quality young horse hits 6, they have TYPICALLY hit their stride and usually progress easily and quickly. I think that's why the Le Lion program is successful. By the time they are 6 or 7, the ammy horses, purely one star horses, the ones that aren't going to hold up, the ones that prove chicken, get mostly weeded out and the cream rises.
                                Amanda

Comment

The program also can't control who ultimately buys/campaigns the winners. Presumably BNRs have good eyes for talent as well, so they might not feel the need to pay a premium for a YEH winner.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowbritches View Post
                                    I agree with this.

I think the discrepancy in maturity of 4 and 5 year olds is the toughest part of the YEH program. I've ridden 4 years olds that were freaking prodigies (Vernon...though I never took Vernon in YEH classes because it just wasn't worth the money. He wasn't a good enough mover to place well, and was born an old pro at the whole showing thing, so didn't need the mileage). And I've ridden 5 year olds that were just so immature! It just really depends.

Vernon is also a good example though.....looked like a prodigy for eventing....but now isn't eventing. Like a lot of nice young event horses. Still a lovely horse in all respects but it is so friggen hard to judge and so many factors involved in which ones will become an eventing superstar.

It is why I really don't see much value in a FEH program other than as a nice outing for people with similar goals....but if you are not even considering their pedigrees as part of their scoring (really one of the better indicators at that stage for whether they will event)....it is really just a show about who moves pretty in hand. In a FEH judging clinic...I saw and heard comments that are making me run from that program. They still are primarily picking the fancy dressage horse. Sorry, if I have a 2 or 3 year old that trots out (and canters) with enough suspension and movement to be that impressive....I'm most likely going to sell that horse as a dressage horse.

I personally would rather see funds and efforts directed more at either a Le Lion type of competition or even better....something like the Equine Pathway that they have with British Eventing. Our YH competitions....while nice, I don't see as something that will have remotely as much of an impact like the Equine Pathway....

http://www.britisheventing.com/secti...Equine+Pathway

ETA: OF course the EP seems to have its own issues....and we are just light years behind the Europeans in their production of both young horses (and young riders) for the Olympic disciplines. But I think it is a step in the right direction.

Comment

Vernon is also a good example though.....looked like a prodigy for eventing....but now isn't eventing. Like a lot of nice young event horses. Still a lovely horse in all respects but it is so friggen hard to judge and so many factors involved in which ones will become an eventing superstar.
                                      Yes. Excellent point. He would have been one of the many who is "competing with their amateur owner at X level." Good brain, but not the RIGHT brain for UL.

I think you and I are very much on the same page on what we think would be the better way to promote and develop our youngstock. I agree completely with you.
                                      Amanda

Comment

I think it would be a GREAT idea to allow OTTBs an extra year! It can be hard to bring them on that fast depending upon when they come off the track. They typically have much to overcome too. I keep getting them too late.

Anyone else think so?

Comment

Working...
                                        X