• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Turning off the xc skills for show jumping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another reason stadium is such a pressure cooker (besides all of the aforementioned reasons) is that it is like performing in a fish bowl. I mean, who really watches your dressage test? Maybe an SO is filming, maybe a coach is on the sidelines, who even sees the judge cloaked in their vehicle or shadow box?

But stadium, good gosh, the railbirds are everywhere. There's riders watching to see how many strides you get in the turn, strangers putting on their judgy pants, other competitors secretly hoping you drop the rail in the combination, and photographers capturing every moment.

Whether we realize it consciously or not, it's a lot of pressure. It's fun, but it's fun under pressure.
    Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Then always be Batman.

The Grove at Five Points

Comment

Speaking strictly as an HP, learning that the base is my friend and learning to ride to it helped the heck out of my riding when on a horse with too much motor. It transferred nicely to hacking out jumping stream beds and logs uphill and downhill in a big field too.

That last stride to the base is almost impossible to get in there if the horse is not balanced and ahead of your leg or pulling or just flinging themselves over. Leaving that stride out off a long spot with the horse behind the leg is not only ugly, it's dangerous and you risk not clearing the beck rail on a spread or, horrors, hooking a leg and going rotational...which happens in regular SJ and even Hunters.

This is one reason counting strides and staying on the count is a good idea-helps you hold the proper canter with the horse ahead of your leg right to that fence and eliminate the long and weak spot.

It is all about the flatwork and using that Dressage. Having watched quite a bit of CC, I can't say the best riders are hell bent for leather either. Fast? Yes, but always with rear coming up under and ahead of the leg.
      When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
        JP60--- a lot of rider who say they panic in SJ do not mean Panic in the fear sense. They typically mean panic in the sense of over or under riding when things do not go perfectly.

Good show jumping at a high level requires a slow mind but quick reaction. It requires a rider to stay calm. To adjust quickly when things are not going well but not over adjust. Often, you just have to be patient. This is what is meant by "panic". Instead of just waiting for the fence, they put too much leg on and send their horse for that first distance they see (often the long spot). Or know that is what they have a tendency do and start riding too backwards.....

It isn't panic in the sense that is scares them....it is panic in the sense of an OCD clean freak in a dirty room.

ETA: I'm FAR from perfect in stadium....and understand up close and personal what are probably YBs issues in stadium
        (please note, slight tongue in cheek)

From Websters:

"Panic: Sudden uncontrollable fear or anxiety, often causing wildly unthinking behavior."

Sooooo....differences please...talk amongst yourselves if you like

Would this mean that us low level jumpers can have a quick mind, but slow reaction for that sounds about right for my riding

I get what you are saying (though maybe, slightly, a little presumptuous on the higher level comment). When riding Stadium it is important to be patient, let the course flow and not "push" to much. I think that view could be applied to 2'7 as to 3'11, it is just the level of experience, not height. This view does match my somewhat simplistic thought of just have fun for when its fun, then we are more relaxed which allows for more patience, less brain farts and voila! clean rounds.

I'm way outta my league here so I wont presume to understand YB issues like you might, but I've sat in the saddle (waiting for my go moment) many a time watching riders come close to throwing up, turning blue, so tight they resemble a guitar string, then going out in SJ and either knock em down or provide wonderful *GASP* moments...seems to me that has some aspect of "panic" (in the traditional sense) involved Personally, I don't worry about rails, from the moment I enter I just have two thoughts in mind, enjoy the ride, get out of Sterling's way, and finish in the saddle.

Comment

wow...JP60. You did not take my post at all the way I meant it. Take out the "high" level in my post....it was intended more to mean at a sophisticated level not the height of the fences. And by sophisticated...I mean at a level where riders are aware that it is not going well. Which can happen even if you never jump above 2'6"....but comes with time and experience.

I was addressing more YB issues which are VERY common for riders making the jump up the levels when things start happening faster and jumps start getting a bit bigger....and often the same rider doesn't have "fear" to jump a scary ass xc fence. The "panic" often comes out for most riders at training and prelim when the courses begin to get more technical and of course big....but can rear its ugly head at any level. And yes...to jump bigger and better courses, I stand by what I posted.

Of course riders can "panic" for many different reasons and at any level. But I had an idea of the type of panic that YB was talking about....and that was what I was addressing in my post.
          Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Jan. 3, 2013, 11:43 AM. Reason: typo
          ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
            wow...JP60. You did not take my post at all the way I meant it.
            Now hold on there Sally, you may have missed my "Tongue in cheek comment"? I was actually agreeing/understanding using a little (seemingly bad) humor along the way. I did "get it" (really, I did). I am just ... oh ... fussy about words so panic means one thing, doubt means another, over thinking completely different. I get patience (don't have much, but I get it) so hope to apply it better when I ride. My major issue is that I allow Sterling to get behind my leg and am not aware (at times) this happens till we bury ourselves at the base of a jump.

Anywho, I'll bow out of the discussion (got things way off topic) for I seem to lack the experience to really comment or understand the OPs original issue. Y'all enjoy

Comment

Being a h/j rider, I was a little shocked when I started doing BN and watching sj! I have to get OUT of SJ mode for XC.

SJ
              1. I'm in a RING which means planned turns and corners - pace is SO important through these turns. keep your power and your rhythm. Rebalance before the corner, then keep the impulsion through the corners.
              2. Start with the canter you want to end with, do not build, and do not fall apart. easier said than done.
              3. keep your reins short and keep your eyes up! look where you are going! jumps come up a lot faster than xc (most of this applies to xc as well).
              4. look at your course ahead of time. watch other riders ride it and see what they did wrong and you can fix to make it right. visualize yourself doing it. (it is a lot easier for me to visualize SJ than XC because I can see it all at once!)

A great thing that I don't think xc people use enough is ground poles! set up a course of ground poles. you don't have to worry about missing and ruining your horse. make a 5 stride line. do the 5 a few times, do a 4, do a 6, do a 4, do a 7, do a 5. this will really help you learn your horses rhythm and stride. practice your distances over poles.

Comment

• Original Poster

bfne, you summed up my "panic" very, very well. Far better than my stomach bug addled brain probably could (I am not convinced that what I posted early this morning even makes sense, as I was shivering on the couch trying to will my body into submitting to getting dressed and out without keeling over).

I WANT to be good, and my "fear" of failing (basically) in my hard phase, does not always mean that I sit down and ride the hell out of the course. Usually it means I ride the hell out of the first couple of fences, make a minor mistake, and then freak out because I did it WRONG. Then I start to over or under ride at every fence, just making it all go worse.

The OCD person in a messy room is a good analogy. And why I think the experiment of treating myself like an Eq rider may be an interesting way to solve to problem.

JP60, some of my issues are pretty deep, too. I've had a VERY rough year competing (as I have discussed some on COTH). My "OCD" tendencies have actually crippled me from performing, which is why I am seeking out the help of sports psychologist...somewhere there is a miss fire in my brain and its reaction to mistakes, and I have to reset it!

(Again, I'm not sure I'm writing coherently today, so please forgive me if I seem disjointed and weird...the only calories I've consumed since 3pm yesterday have been a bottle of ginger ale and a piece of toast!).
                Amanda

Comment

Working...
                X