• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How did you go about introducing your leg to your freshly off the track OTTB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you go about introducing your leg to your freshly off the track OTTB?

Specifically the very sensitive and touchy ones. Would love to hear about your ideas and techniques!

After sufficient down time (from 2 months to 6 months) I start by ground driving and lunging the horse. I teach the horse voice commands so he knows what I want by the tone of my voice.

Only once the horse is fully trained to voice commands, should a rider get on.

If the horse is sensitive or nervous, the first several rides are on a lead line, then moving to a lunge line. The rider is totally passive; the person on the ground still controls the horse. Gradually, as the horse relaxes and becomes comfortable in what he is being asked to do, the rider takes over control, little by little, while still on the lunge line.

The rider continues to use the aids the horse knows -- voice commands. No leg, just voice and a chirp if necessary. When the lunge line is removed and the horse is free lunging, the rider starts to steer. Then he starts to back up the voice commands with leg aids. Once the horse accepts the leg aids, then it is time to get him out of the lunging pen and into a small ring. But all this time leg aids only back up voice commands. The horse will take a while to associate a squeeze with the leg and a TROT command. At that point he can be switched over to leg aids exclusively.

If the horse becomes startled or gets quick with leg aids, go back to voice commands exclusively, and proceed more slowly.

Depending on the temperament and intelligence of the horse, and the skill of the rider in consistently applying aids, this progression can take anywhere from several days to several weeks. The horse tells you when to move on to the next step; you do not tell the horse.
    "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

Comment

Ok lets go over this. First, racehorses do know about the leg as a thing that does exist. Specifically when we break them we often have longer stirrups and teach them to move and yes even yield to leg pressure by using leg, leg thumping and so on. So it's not like they've only even been ridden astride my "little people" and you as a person of a normal build are a shock. Not so much.

My methods are just that, what I do based on my experience. So take this with a grain of salt.

My first few rides on a ottb are still similar to my normal rides on my 8 years off the track gelding. I walk a lot and ask them to go from a normal walk to a marching bigger walk. When I trot I start off standing in my stirrups to stretch out my calves and allow their back to loosen up.

I use my leg judiciously and adjust based on the horses reaction. If it's a sensitive horse we do more walking with figure 8's and more leg pressure and I don't react if they do. I wait, bring them back to the gait (Stride length and speed) that I want. Remember that this is a relationship that is to be built on understanding and obedience.

You can see my 3rd ride on Petey from January here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cOt4akmi1k He's not quite 4 weeks out of his last race in this.

I just ride them like a normal green horse and go with what they can handle and do lots of staying consistent with what I ask of them and where the boundaries are on what I want from them. I try very hard to stay positive and talk to them and love on them at all times. But I did that when I worked on the track too!

That's worked very well for me.

Emily
      "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Ditto ALL the above. There are so many misconceptions out there about OTTB's - like the fact that they never go clockwise - they do! - or that they have never cantered on the right lead - they do in the straightaways!

With an OTTB, fresh off the track, I will normally keep my stirrups short, but its mainly so I can jump off, in case one freaks, more then anything else. Yes, they are used to leg, and yes they know to move away from leg pressure. Actually it's the rein aides that confuse them the most, since most are used to galloping in fairly soft contact. I have seen so many rider's try to take a hold of a fresh OTTB, to slow them don, when to them, that means go.
        The Equine Wellness and Nutrition FB Group - Come join us!!
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/equinewellness/

Comment

Originally posted by Freebird! View Post
          Ditto ALL the above. There are so many misconceptions out there about OTTB's - like the fact that they never go clockwise - they do! - or that they have never cantered on the right lead - they do in the straightaways!

With an OTTB, fresh off the track, I will normally keep my stirrups short, but its mainly so I can jump off, in case one freaks, more then anything else. Yes, they are used to leg, and yes they know to move away from leg pressure. Actually it's the rein aides that confuse them the most, since most are used to galloping in fairly soft contact. I have seen so many rider's try to take a hold of a fresh OTTB, to slow them don, when to them, that means go.
          Good post! My three OTTB's all love a nice supportive leg. First thing I tell someone who is getting on one of the TB's is " if they speed up, whatever you do, don't get clutchy on the reins!!"
          "Anti-intellect and marketing, pretty, pretty, who needs talent
          Crying eyes, we're so outnumbered, fight for the right to remain silent" Buck 65

Comment

One other thing to keep in mind, is that some really nervous horses actually calm down the more leg you use. For one, your leg pushes them in the bridle, which equals more breaks, and it helps to remind them that you are there. Just think of it as a supportive leg, verses a "go" leg. When you want to calm them, use your entire leg and seat - like a good handshake, to remind them that you are there, and add a half halt. Squeeze...one...two...three...and release. I do this before every transition, or any change of direction.

Comment

I wanted to add this as I think it helps to dispel the whole "Leg" misconception.

This is me riding "normal"

At a walk.... http://s103.beta.photobucket.com/use...tml?sort=3&o=3

And at the gallop...

http://s103.beta.photobucket.com/use...tml?sort=3&o=4

They may look short but when you're going on, your leg is there and touching them. I promise that I am not the only one who rides with a leg that touches the horse. Larry Jones is the better example I have:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...photo/74049290

Emily
              "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Originally posted by Freebird! View Post
                One other thing to keep in mind, is that some really nervous horses actually calm down the more leg you use. For one, your leg pushes them in the bridle, which equals more breaks, and it helps to remind them that you are there. Just think of it as a supportive leg, verses a "go" leg. When you want to calm them, use your entire leg and seat - like a good handshake, to remind them that you are there, and add a half halt. Squeeze...one...two...three...and release. I do this before every transition, or any change of direction.

Everything Emily said, and this ^. It does depend on the individual horse; some of them are like hot rockets to your leg, others simply have no idea what you want. In either case, break it down into very simple pieces at the walk, teaching that leg does not always mean go forward quickly. Use leg to slow down and halt; do lots of quiet walk/halt transitions, being sure to stretch down into your leg and seat, then softly closing your fingers. Use your leg for Every transition, every half-halt, every corner; the horse won't understand at first, but they'll start to figure it out. On the hot ones, think Use More Leg than what your instinct tells you. Your instinct will be to keep your leg far, far away! But that won't work, you'll just goose them when you *do* put your leg on. Keep it draped quietly on the horse; don't grip or pinch, but don't be afraid to use it.

Start to teach moving away from the leg; on the ground/in hand with a dressage whip, and then under saddle. I like to work on head-to-wall leg yield, too, to teach move OVER from leg (and not just run!). Don't over-drill the lateral work, the horse can easily get confused/frustrated and feel trapped or stuck (in which case you must LET them move forward! or they'll go up...!).

Unless the horse has No Brakes Whatsoever, I like to get them hacking outside the ring a lot, and spend only 10 minutes or so in the ring doing walk work. They're used to going out of the stall and Working, so sometimes coming out and walking for 30 minutes in the arena with quiet focus won't happen. Go do something (hack) and come back to the walk lesson in the ring when they're ready to learn.
                “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
                ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Comment

Chiming in with the others. I "introduce" it from the very first ride. Most are fine with it, some get squealy but they just have to deal.

Most of the exercise riders I have known ride with leg on and I agree that this is a common missconception. To quote, "ride long, live long"

Comment

• Original Poster

Great posts.

I'm not trying to indicate that they are never ridden with leg on the track. I know that they are breezed in a jumping length stirrup and also broken with longer stirrups.

But specifically in reference to a very side-sensitive type where any leg contact is seen as offensive - what would be your method to deal?

This could really apply to any horse, not just OTTB's.

Comment

ugggg...
                      Just get on and ride..?
                      I won't buy one that freaks out the moment I put my leg on. lol.

I just picked up an OTTB.

His "down time" consisted of him eating a lot and being ridden 1 time a week for the 1st 6 weeks only because his feet were tragically shaped.
                      Though it is very case sensitive and depends on what kind of shape they are in.

He works 3-4 days a week now (that started Dec 1st).

all this [treating them like they are fragile] is BS.

To answer the question--to deal with a horse that is too sensitive.
                      You must first make them dead to the leg.
                      Then make them sensitive again.
                      It's sucks and can take a while. A very long while.

Basically, get on and put your leg on. Let your horse have meltdowns until he learns to deal.
                      Sometimes you have to start of kind of light. Maybe let them gallop it out a bit, then slowly add more and more pressure.

Too sensitive is sooo not fun.
                      Good luck and be patient.
                      Find a job that horse horse really likes to keep his mind on something other than the amount of leg you use. Sneak it up on him. lol

we can baby them all we like but there will come a time when it is time for the horse to suck it up and wear some big boy panties.
                      http://kaboomeventing.com/
                      http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
                      Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

I had a 17 hh. New Zealand TB that had Steeplechased and then evented - by Capt. Mark Phillips (not advanced though) who was a freak about leg pressure. Our first rides together were just trail rides - through about 500 acres. I figured one of us would either end up killing the other...or he would eventually slow down...and he eventually did. It just took a LOT of trotting. I didn't ask for any sort of bending, or collection, or not really anything except for "Please do not go faster then *this* speed, and NO Acid Flashbacks - that's where he would just totally freak, and launch into the air, shaking his head.

To be continued (I have a 2 year old climbing on me....)

Comment

Originally posted by purplnurpl View Post
                          ugggg...
                          Just get on and ride..?
                          I won't buy one that freaks out the moment I put my leg on. lol.

I just picked up an OTTB.

His "down time" consisted of him eating a lot and being ridden 1 time a week for the 1st 6 weeks only because his feet were tragically shaped.
                          Though it is very case sensitive and depends on what kind of shape they are in.

He works 3-4 days a week now (that started Dec 1st).

all this [treating them like they are fragile] is BS.

To answer the question--to deal with a horse that is too sensitive.
                          You must first make them dead to the leg.
                          Then make them sensitive again.
                          It's sucks and can take a while. A very long while.

Basically, get on and put your leg on. Let your horse have meltdowns until he learns to deal.
                          Sometimes you have to start of kind of light. Maybe let them gallop it out a bit, then slowly add more and more pressure.

Too sensitive is sooo not fun.
                          Good luck and be patient.
                          Find a job that horse horse really likes to keep his mind on something other than the amount of leg you use. Sneak it up on him. lol

we can baby them all we like but there will come a time when it is time for the horse to suck it up and wear some big boy panties.
                          This!!! A TB - Off track or otherwise is still just a horse. More sensitive, maybe than a QH or WB, but NOT a freaking loonie!! Don't clutch the reins, don't clamp your legs, but they have probably had all of that done on the track at some point. Note: they are ridden daily by "normal" exercise riders who probably get on 12-15 horses a morning. No special treatment for most. Just enjoy the horse and use only as much leg and hand as necessary!!
                          www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                          Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

• Original Poster

More info:

Doesn't shoot forward; but rather she sucks back, pins ears. Better once she's actually trotting forward or cantering.

Lunges great. Forward, sound and happy, ears up, even in loose side reins. Ground drives too. Great ground manners, never flicks an ear at anything else.

Vet checked, scopes clean, saddle fits very well. Does have sensitive skin and is ticklish to groom - I'm not sure if that's contributing. Has some minor skin funk that I am addressing.

I have some ideas on what I'd like to try but I'm always open to suggestions.

Comment

Oooooo the skin thing.... What kind of girth and pad are you using???

Emily

Comment

• Original Poster

Lettia coolmax girth. I've tried many pads, including sheepskin.

She just has a little scurf on her rump. Not under the saddle or anything. She's been getting shampooed and it's clearing up.

I do lunge her with the tack on and no issues.

Comment

• Original Poster

This is the girth: http://www.smartpakequine.com/lettia...rth-4968p.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Meadow36 View Post
                                    "How did you go about introducing your leg to your freshly off the track ottb".Specifically the very sensitive and touchy ones. Would love to hear about your ideas and techniques!
                                    With a bow and a florish and a softly spoken "my dear leg , it is my pleasure to introduce you to this horse". Works every time, no matter what type of horse.

Comment

More info:

Doesn't shoot forward; but rather she sucks back, pins ears. Better once she's actually trotting forward or cantering.

Lunges great. Forward, sound and happy, ears up, even in loose side reins. Ground drives too. Great ground manners, never flicks an ear at anything else.

Vet checked, scopes clean, saddle fits very well. Does have sensitive skin and is ticklish to groom - I'm not sure if that's contributing. Has some minor skin funk that I am addressing.

I have some ideas on what I'd like to try but I'm always open to suggestions.
                                      If you are SURE (and I mean 110%, double-triple-checked) that she is not in pain (check out her heat cycles, some mares get sensitive when in heat, although it's an odd time of year) and that YOU are not doing anything wrong (clutchy hands, etc), then start treating her like any other naughty, sticky horse.

Grab a crop, some full seats (secret baby TB weapon ), and perhaps a more brave/secure rider if you don't feel up to the task. Then hop on, and ask for forward with the leg and voice. If you get some snark, then do leg, voice, and a tap with the crop. More snark? Then leg, voice, and a good smack with the crop....it's most effective if you get one with a loud popper. At all times, your hands MUST remain forward and giving: you are being unfair if you ask her to go forward with the crop and she runs into your hands. This is a great time for a neck strap, so that you have something to hang onto in case she "takes offense" to the crop, but that you don't catch her in the mouth and punish her.

I have a sensitive baby TB mare...like others have mentioned, she is actually comforted by a solid leg presence. (Not nagging, just always draped around her.) For about five minutes before every ride we do a bit of groundwork (fully tacked, her in her bridle, right by the mounting block, nothing special) where she moves away from my pressure on her ribs, and we practice a few one-rein stops. (Always a great function to install!)

Comment

Specifically the very sensitive and touchy ones. Would love to hear about your ideas and techniques!
                                        I hop on, put the horse on a curve, apply inside leg, and keep right on applying it until the horse steps over. If he offers "faster" rather than "over," I tell him, "no hon, not faster, OVER."
                                        The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                                        Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                                        Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                                        The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Working...
                                        X