• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

GAH! Day 1 of recovery and I'm already bored

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GAH! Day 1 of recovery and I'm already bored

As some of you may remember from this thread:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...-saved-my-life

I had a little tumble back in June. Actually, not so much a tumble but more of a horse-fell-on-me sort of thing. Anyhoo, flash forward 6 months and my foot was still wonky, misshapen and painful. I hadn't been able to run or do anything high impact (which also means I've been doing the one-foot landing dismount)

Had surgery yesterday and while I appreciate the painkillers, the time out of the saddle is driving me bonkers already. I'm looking for local schooling venues to volunteer at and I think I've read all the top horsey books (some twice). Any other suggestions to pass the time?
    Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Then always be Batman.

The Grove at Five Points

Search for clinics to watch on you tube.

Comment

Take the time to learn a completely new skill. That can provide some really interesting insights into how you learn, how others teach, how difficulties are explained and overcome and it provides some new rewards. A friend has been learning the guitar, I've just been doing tapestry. Both have the advantage of not needing to stand on your feet to do them.
      "Good young horses are bred, but good advanced horses are trained" Sam Griffiths

Comment

Write your accident story and send it to a bunch of horse magazines. I went back and read your original post. You have a cautionary tale that reminds us of several important riding rules 1) Always were a helmet 2) always ride with a friend. 3) avoid riding on roads especially those with narrow shoulders. The fact that you continue to have medical problems so long after the original accident is a point left out of so many stories of crashes and wrecks. They also overlook the boredom, frustration and long term pain from what originally sounded like an uncomplicated accident. So glad you're around and willing to remind us all "Safety First".

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks littlebay, I regularly remind folks that a helmet saved my life.

The Grove at Five Points

Comment

My boredom reliever of choice was buying the young horse I'd been talking about for a long time.. .but if I remember correctly you already bought yourself the horse from the accident, didn't you?

I will say that you never realize how behind you are in sleep until you are injured and don't have much to do. Reading a lot, and reading a lot of books with exercises and doing visualizations helped me a bit. I also did something else I don't normally do when I can ride a lot - I got a social life! It's kind of nice to actually throw the horses hay (they're at home) and go out to dinner instead of riding, feeding when it gets too dark to ride, then showering and making food because there's not time to do anything else.
            Originally posted by Silverbridge
            If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

Find the AP McCoy Autobiography book. It's awesome and I am having a hard time not calling in sick from work so I could lie in bed and read it all day!!!

Fantastic read.

Em
              "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Some Great new books and music might help ~

Some great new books and or music perhaps would ease your 'boredom"

Happy Holidays ~ hoping your 'lay-up' passing quickly ~
                Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

I totally understand the boredom and the resulting discomfort from having to stay down and keep your leg/foot in specific positions.

Good movies on now and if you fall asleep no worries, the movie will be repeated later.
                  Great suggestion for writing you story. Dragon Speech is really good in case you are unable to sit at the computer for long periods.
                  You can do some exercise such as lite hand weights, crunches/sit-ups and as you foot heals some leg lift - all done while on the floor. Another exercise getting down there and back up. Yeah have had my own rounds with foot and leg surgeries/injuries.
                  Reading and crafts (sewing, painting, knitting,etc) are great if it is something you enjoy.
                  Hope you heal well and quickly. Allow yourself the time to heal. Also talk to your DR about physical therapy.
                  "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
                  Courtesy my cousin Tim

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by netg View Post
                    My boredom reliever of choice was buying the young horse I'd been talking about for a long time.. .but if I remember correctly you already bought yourself the horse from the accident, didn't you? j
                    Haha! Yep, guilty as charged! And he is in great hands (both boys are) while I'm out of the saddle. I get to watch them work which helps satiate my horse hunger.

Xctrygirl - thanks for the book idea, haven't read that one yet.

Fooler - definitely trying to continue working the core. Fortunately I was in good shape when the wreck happened. I had finished the Insanity series and was otherwise strong, I'm sure that helped me not break more things. Even not being able to do high impact exercises this last 6 months I've tried to keep the core still working. Not ready for the "over 40 swimsuit edition" , but not horrible

I'll be back to work before too long (in the stupid boot that forces you to walk like Frankenstein), but I'm being uncharacteristically compliant in my post-op instructions of NO riding.

The Grove at Five Points

Comment

You have my sympathy! I broke my leg 13 months ago and after 3 surgeries am still NQR. Hope to have hardware removal surgery in the next month or two -- which should improve my mobility and reduce my pain. (I'll be back in the Frankenboot for a month or so afterwards.... sigh.) Like you, I can't run at all, and I have to do the one legged dismount... also, the no-bouncing on the right foot mount, which is a bit tricky... Anyway, if I'd known from the beginning how long I'd be laid up, I would've taken better advantage. Learning something totally new (or working on something old) is great for getting you past the boredom. I learned to play the mandolin a little and explored the wonderful world of Coursera and other free online education. I think I might have enjoyed knitting or needlepoint but it didn't occur to me to do those things until I'd gotten busy with work again.

Hang in there -- the time will pass, and you will get better!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by petesperson View Post
                        (I'll be back in the Frankenboot for a month or so afterwards.... sigh.) Like you, I can't run at all, and I have to do the one legged dismount... also, the no-bouncing on the right foot mount, which is a bit tricky...
                        "Frankenboot" Now why didn't I think of that!

The one-foot dismount is especially entertaining off a 17+ moving target

The Grove at Five Points

Comment

I fractured my spine in August and I have been bored too... I just got the OK to ride a month ago but while I was on bed rest I ordered a couple of books from Amazon. Keeping myself involved in eventing helped a lot. I volunteered as a scribe for a dressage show. I also would go out and take photos of some of my friends who were still riding. I had my grandma teach me how to knit ear bonnets and decided to start selling them!

I played a LOT of video games but I have a feeling most people aren't into that :P
                          Eventers of the West
                          A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
                          Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Comment

Did you see this: http://www.equisearch.com/horses_rid...ign=Newsletter

You have my sympathy as well. I couldn't ride for about 6 mos. after surgery on my neck last year. Hope you'll have a speedy recovery.
                            "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

Comment

I hope you are up and about before the end of January, but if not, this class on equine digestive anatomy and nutrition starts Jan 28. I also posted a notice in the thread in Horse Care.

https://www.coursera.org/#course/equinenutrition

Grey

Comment

Sex.

Comment

Originally posted by riderboy View Post
                                  Sex.
                                  Typical
                                  "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

Comment

Originally posted by Toadie's mom View Post
                                    Typical

Comment

My sympathies. I was lucky not to need surgery, but I have been in the Frankenboot since November 14. I broke it November 7, but I sort of couldn't believe I had broken it and walked on it for a week. Not too bright. I am scheduled to move to a shoe with a carbon plate on Dec 28, and I am unbelievably happy. Not sure when I can get back in the saddle. I never thought that one stupid broken metatarsal could take this long to heal.

I have been trying hard to catch up on over-due work, reading books, and watching TV on-line (which I never do, so it has been a guilty pleasure), keeps me amused, but bored, bored bored.

I did find a youtube of how to do yoga with a broken foot, so I have been doing that too.

Jingles that healing goes quickly for you.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by riderboy View Post
                                        Sex.
                                        I see Mr ACME has been sending out PMs again.

The Grove at Five Points

Comment

Working...
                                        X