• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What should I do..... (Spinoff)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Originally posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Yeah, exactly. For that matter, *I* just sent an email to the photographer linking them to this thread and the Photobucket. It took about 90 seconds. Cove Creek Photograph can decide how they want to proceed.
    That's great. I emailed them BEFORE I posted this thread with screen caps. Just in case the offender decided to remove the pics. Copyright infringement is applicable the moment you post an infringed image. And even if you remove it you're still on the hook for the fees.

So many folks think... "Ok I took them down. No more problem" but that's not correct.

So when I see infringement I screen cap and send it to the photographers. That way they have proof they were infringed even if the images suddenly come down.

Emily

PS: Anyone else find it amusing that the person in question isn't defending themselves with regard to stealing these pics.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Originally posted by Concetta View Post
      Laurierace....I remember not too long ago Pat Dale was TRASHING you about Promoting your own horse at her coth get together at her farm, and what an awful race trainer you were, and a terrible horseman....funny that you're sticking up for her all of a sudden
      Not sure what you mean by promoting my own horse since I have never sold a horse, and she is entitled to her opinion about my abilities in my former career. I am not sticking up for anybody, I just can't believe you can't get the message that you are only hurting yourself with your ridiculous tirade.
      McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

And Laurie is clearly adult enough to not really care if she likes or does not like the person she feels is being wronged. Sticking up for what is right is not saved for her friends.

Concetta, I am not sure why you think saying something about it is making a good point for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Concetta View Post
          Yes Pat Dale...you did tell me Devil was a cribber, and yes you also told me up front...as in before I purchased him that somebody else passed on buying him bc he had a bone cyst that was found on his PPE xrays....I didn't care as Devil is my forever horse-not ever for resale.........big difference.......you never once told me squat about the big greys feet.....nor did I ask....my mistake.....however it's funny or rather ironic that when I first came to you and told about the condition of his feet a few months ago....your response was that whatever issues he's got with his feet I caused them bc I owned him long enough for laminitis to develop...hmm...then your next line of defense was he has "wb" feet and was born that way ....hmm....now after he's been fully vetted and xrays revealed ding ding ding laminitis from a long time ago...before myself or even you owned him...suddenly you concur and agree...and said that the same vet agreed and passed and xray'd him last year by your buyer, and you went and got second and third opinions deeming it a non issue...which it very well might never be....however you didn't feel the need to tell me any of this prior to me buying him???
          Why do you think it's okay to continue to trash someone's reputation on a public bulletin board? In your efforts to vindicate yourself you're just ruining YOUR reputation (although the entertainment value is priceless).

Comment

I teach digital media at the university level, so I'm well versed in US copyright law for images, video, and audio. Your posts are not news to me. Are they meant to be news to others? You're claiming that you contacted the photographer, so why did you also feel obligated to talk about it here on COTH? If it's meant to be some kind of public PSA about how people should address copyright violations, *then talk about that.* There's no reason to link to pirated images as part of that discussion.

As for "amusing" that nobody is defending themselves, here's three thoughts.

1. Your thread title makes no indication that this thread might be about anyone but you, and although I haven't read this thread super carefully, I'm pretty sure you never mention their screen name or username. So unless this person trawls every single COTH thread to see if it's about them, how would they even know this thread is about them!?

2. Perhaps they know full well that they've committed a crime and don't care to out themselves on COTH.

3. I gather from others on this thread that it's not the first time you've aired grievances against whomever this party is. It takes two to tango and perhaps whomever this other party is decided not to dance this round.
            Last edited by jn4jenny; Dec. 12, 2012, 09:43 AM.
            Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

Maybe Concetta is being smart(er than we are giving her credit for). Posting about the subject of a closed thread will probably get this thread closed too. Then the photo stealing thread can slowly fall off page one and be forgotten.

Jeny, the person who this thread is about is posting here ignoring the original subject and bad talking someone else.

Comment

1. Your thread title makes no indication that this thread might be about anyone but you, and although I haven't read this thread super carefully, I'm pretty sure you never mention their screen name or username. So unless this person trawls every single COTH thread to see if it's about them, how would they even know this thread is about them!?
                This thread outs the OP of the closed thread, by linking her user name to the photobucket account that shows her real first and last name.

The closed thread completely backfired on the OP, who ended up looking nastily vindictive. The accused, by contrast, kept it classy and did not out her.

I agree that the copyright issue did not need to be aired on here, it was just more pile-on for the OP of the previous thread for trying to hurt someone's business on COTH. I don't think 2 wrongs make a right, or that the photos should be a public issue. Though, the OP of the closed thread is not doing herself any favors by coming back and making the same accusations.

Comment

These threads make up for the fact that I'm stuck in a quiet office with only male coworkers.

Carry On Gals
                  Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans

Comment

1) If I didn't know the original OP (i.e, NOT Xctrygirl) was an adult I would have assumed she was in Middle School. Disgraceful behaviour.

2) Copyrighted Photos have now been removed from site & photographer in question has been contacted by 2 different people who have screenshots of original site. It is now up to the photographer to decide what recourse to take. I personally hope more photographers start taking responsibility for the copyright and making people's lives difficult if they infringe it because really, that is the only way this kind of thing is going to stop happening. We can discuss it until we're blue in the face but people are still going to continue to use pictures illegally unless there are actual consequences for their actions.
                    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

Originally posted by Laurierace View Post
                      Boy, you don't learn do you? I hope this thread insures he is stuck with you forever.
                      I would hope the horse is not "stuck" with anyone (implying it is not in a good place) that doesn't want it or is revengeful. Now I'm going out to blanket my OTTB that is not perfect, but actually is stuck with me because I loff her to pieces.

P.S. No disrespect to you Laurierace, I just hope the horse is ok.
                      RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Comment

• Original Poster

Are they meant to be news to others?
                        By and large Jenny it is news to others that you can't steal proofs to use for your own enjoyment. Anyone who spends enough time on Facebook, Dreamhorse, Equine.com or any photo site can see that people do not understand it's illegal.

3. I gather from others on this thread that it's not the first time you've aired grievances against whomever this party is. It takes two to tango and perhaps whomever this other party is decided not to dance this round.
                        In point of fact I am not one of the original 2 parties involved in the grievance. I have never had an issue with this particular person. Nor have I named her by screen name or real name. (I don't know it or her)

I have been very passionate about defending the rights of photographers. (See a long ago thread where in I outed Eventing Nation for massive copyright infringement a while ago. They have since adopted new practices to work inside the lines of the law)

I have done plenty of PSA's about this topic. And yet it continues. So why not out a thief. If I knew who had walked into my tack room and stolen a saddle and I could prove it and had already reported it to the police, I would in fact warn others who may interact with said person so that they knew the kind of ethics that were at play. That's the same intent here.

~Emily
                        "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Originally posted by Xctrygirl View Post
                          In point of fact I am not one of the original 2 parties involved in the grievance. I have never had an issue with this particular person. Nor have I named her by screen name or real name. (I don't know it or her)
                          Then why get involved and post it here on COTH? If you're really a champion for the Horse Show Photographer, and scouring photobucket and flickr accounts for evil wrong-doers was your sole and altruistic goal, then why not just contact the offender and the photographers and be done with it?

Instead, your behavior is not dissimilar to the behavior of Concetta. You're friendly with Pat, we all know that, and wanted to do some mudslinging in her honor and discredit the discrediter. As someone else said; pretty middle-school-mean-girl if you ask me. Granted, that's just my opinion, but Occam's razor and all...

My theory in life? Don't let the assholes turn you into one of them. Love it, Live it, Don't be a Jackwad.
                          ------------------------------
                          Life Goes On

Comment

• Original Poster

So ok... I am a jackass for defending a friend.

And people wonder why bullying has become such a problem in America. Here's why... when you defend a friend from an unprovoked attack, you're also called out for being wrong. Lovely.

Pat is a friend. Have I bought a horse from her? No. Have I hung out with her a lot? Sadly no. She's a fellow horsewoman in my immediate area. She got hung out to dry by someone unfairly. Did I condone that attack? No.

I didn't come back guns blazing saying that the attacker was wrong and a this and a that and poo on you. No instead I looked around to see who the attacker was. And in that process I saw that the attacker also was not as ethically clean and dirt free as she had implied.

I have no patience for unfairness and insults or theft. And I will be a loyal and honorable friend and hang tough when you're on the defense. So bring it on. I should be equally ribbed because I showed that another was willing to steal.

It's ok to report a theft but not advise others who could interact with the person that they are a thief. Got it.

~Emily

Comment

Hold the phone! Who's being bullied?
                              The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. Oscar Wilde

Comment

LOL, are these adults on this bulletin board?

Comment

As this is a continuation of a previously closed topic, and the issue has been brought to the attention of the photographer involved for him/her to handle, we're closing the thread and won't be hosting further dramatics on the subjects.

Thanks,
                                  Mod 1

Comment

Working...
                                  X