• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Do I need to replace my Oster A5? Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to replace my Oster A5? Help!

I'm not sure if my A5's are dying or not suitable for the job. My Oster Clipmasters are my go to for body clipping, however I've been running across several mares that definitely prefer the A5's for the more sensitive parts of the body.

Knowing that I had several horses to clip I purchased a new pair of #10 Wide blades. They do not clip. Leave major lines of totally unclipped hair, and I find myself having to push the blades through the coat. Thinking they were simply defective, I replaced them with a new pair of T84's. These also do not clip well at all. Both sets were generously oiled and I use Kool Lube spray frequently. My old dull #10's are doing a much better job, but after last night they are officially too dull to glide through the coat. A job that should've taken 1 hr alternating the Clipmasters and A5's took over 2 hours. I was not happy

These A5's are older, and still seem to run well. They are the single speed instead of the 2 speed. Are they just not powerful enough for the job? They were doing fine with my older dull #10 blades, just not the two new sets of blades. I seriously doubt that I have two sets of bad blades from two different companies. What am I doing wrong?

Do I replace them? And with what? I know plenty of people do a full clip with A5's. Why is it that mind can't even handle a belly full of fur?

Maybe send them in for a service? I'm having similar issues but my A5s are much newer which is all the more frustrating.

Comment

• Original Poster

Just found a thread in Off Course on buying replacement parts. I'm slightly worried that I'll get the clippers and not get them back together though

Comment

My two-speed A5's are completely useless. From the start they have left major lines, not clipped, etc... the wide blades leave 3 lines of completely unclipped hair with each pass.

I've debated sending them in for servicing to see if it fixes them, but I'm convinced they just suck, and really don't want to spend another dime on them.

Comment

I can't get the T84 blades to clip well with my A5's. However put them on pretty much any other type of clipper and they work fine. The A5's just seem to be happy with the smaller blades.

I don't know if it's just my luck but I haven't been happy with any of my Oster's lately. Blew two pairs of the ClipMasters out within a year and the A5's are not doing so well lately either.

Comment

Originally posted by MtyMax View Post
            Just found a thread in Off Course on buying replacement parts. I'm slightly worried that I'll get the clippers and not get them back together though
            The A5's are simple... Two screws on the name plate hold all the works together. I had an A5 that the rocker arm was worn and didn't move the blade completely. New arm and the clipper worked like new again.
            Equus makus brokus but happy

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks Hosspuller. I found the arm and brushes on Valley Vet. Anyone want to loan me a furry beast so I can find out if the replacement parts work? I really don't want to wait until the middle of a clip job to find out they are no better than previously.

Comment

Just my feeling on clippers, the smaller ones like the A5 are fine for the hard to reach, sensitive places and touching up. To me they don't seem sturdy enough for full body clipping. Leave the Body clipping to the big boys like the clipmaster, I have had the same pair for 15+ years. replaced the arms and the brushes a few times, replaced the motor once. Been 15+ hard years clipping cattle and horses. If the noise is an issue and you can afford to spend a little bit more Lister has a really nice set of body clippers that are really quiet.

Comment

• Original Poster

Smokey,
                  That is exactly what I use my A5's for. My clipmasters are the older ones made originally by Sunbeam....they are a dream for body clipping. But I need my A5's to work for the sensitive areas

Originally posted by smokey1428 View Post
                  Just my feeling on clippers, the smaller ones like the A5 are fine for the hard to reach, sensitive places and touching up. To me they don't seem sturdy enough for full body clipping. Leave the Body clipping to the big boys like the clipmaster, I have had the same pair for 15+ years. replaced the arms and the brushes a few times, replaced the motor once. Been 15+ hard years clipping cattle and horses. If the noise is an issue and you can afford to spend a little bit more Lister has a really nice set of body clippers that are really quiet.

Comment

I never had luck with the T-84 blades on my Andis either. If your clippers need service, call Oster. Andis completely refurbished my AGC Super 2 speeds for $45. The replaced everything (including the motor I think), sharpened the blade, replaced the blade drive, and a faulty cord. So worth the $$.

Comment

oh my mistake I don't use the small one's often, have an old pair of andis with #10 blades, when they started leaving lines sent them off they rebuilt them for little bit of nothing. I have a cheap pair of small clippers I got from walmart that I use for touch up and trimming. They work well and if they break $30 get a new pair. They generally last a year to year and a half, doing horses and myself!

Comment

I have 2 pair of old(er) single speed A-5's and they work beautifully. I have had them over 20 yrs and have body clipped more horses than I want to count with them. I have a set of the big ones but I like the small ones just as well.

Here are my pearls/suggestions/comments:
                        Last yr I bought a wide #10 blade "cuz everybody uses them". Didn't clip worth a crap. Left lines, etc. Was totally dull before I was done on one horse doing a repeat trace clip!! Call me uninpressed with the BLADES!
                        I use 7F blades on my A-5's to body clip with. A bit longer hair than the #10's, about the same as the big clippers. BTW, all my other blades worked fine, including my 7F's, when the wide 10's weren't working worth a crap.
                        Use blade wash, not just cool lube. Be sure to actually put the blades IN the blade wash with the clippers running for a good minute or 2 every 10-15 minutes to get the hair out of the blades. You then need to put oil on them since the wash will also strip all the oil from the blades. Use the cool lube WHILE clipping to keep the blades cool, etc between washes. And be LIBERAL with the cool lube. You should hear a change in how the blades are running while you spray them.
                        NEVER EVER turn the clippers on with the blade snapped in place. This wears out the motor very quickly. Flip the blade up, turn the clipper on, then snap the blade down onto it. You will hear the motor slow and "groan" when you do that so think of what it is having to do when it starts with the blade already on the motor.
                        Replace the gear and re-pack the grease. You have to take the head off of them to do this but it is super easy to do. And you might be surprised what you find IN them!!
                        If all else fails, send them back to OSTER for repair, looking at, etc. I have had great luck with Oster. Good service, reasonable cost, etc. Here is the contact info I have for them. I hope it is still current; I have had to use them in a couple of years.
                        Oster Direct, 150 Cadillac Lane, McMinnville, TN 37110
                        1-800-830-3678

Hope that helps.

Comment

A5s are NOT meant for full body clips but for bridle paths, feathers, touch ups.

If clippers are not clipping, use blade wash (trapped hair). But it usually because the horse is dirty as well.
                          I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

Originally posted by ideayoda View Post
                            A5s are NOT meant for full body clips but for bridle paths, feathers, touch ups.

If clippers are not clipping, use blade wash (trapped hair). But it usually because the horse is dirty as well.
                            True, they are not meant for body clipping. BUT if you take care of them, take care of the blades, and be sure you are clipping clean coats, they can do the job just fine. After 20+ yrs, I have 2 pair that can attest to this.

BUT, I am absolutely anal about how I take care of my clippers and the blades.
                            Blade wash, oil, KoolLube, don't have the blades on the clippers when you start them, replace the gear and repack the grease regularly, keep the screws tight on the clippers. use GOOD blades, etc.

Treat them nicely and they will return the favor.

Actually, now that I think of it, one pair is 30+ yrs old!! And still going strong.

Comment

I have used A5 for body clipping and they have held up amazingly well. Now however, the screw that holds the part that holds the blade comes out when I use them. But they are almost 10 years old.

Comment

Working...
                              X