• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Why red obstacles can cause problems for horses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why red obstacles can cause problems for horses

From Horse & Hound, Understanding how horses see colour:

The red pillar box that featured in the showjumping and eventing competitions at this summer’s London Olympics caused no end of trouble.

It was responsible for medals won and lost and was the subject of much discussion among those in the know.

The fence went on to feature at Burghley and then Horse of the Year Show (HOYS), where it also proved influential.

There is some science to explain why this might be.
    Because horses have dichromatic vision and don't see red, they might have difficulty identifying a red object.

This is likely to be particularly marked in poor lighting conditions, where the backdrop is “busy” or where the object is static and its appearance or design does not create sufficient contrast for recognition.

In these circumstances, it would be easy for the horse to make visual misjudgements.
    There's more about that here, along with some photo simulations of what a horse sees v. what a human sees.

A few thoughts:

1. I hope course designers take this into consideration when they get out the paint pots.

2. The horse CAN'T tell the difference between a US team rider in a red coat or some no-name weekend rider wearing a grey coat. They are physiologically unable to be impressed by your coat. Ha.

3. Horses can't easily identify Canadians from visual information alone.
    Last edited by JER; Dec. 1, 2012, 11:16 PM.

Whoohooo! Breakthrough science once again revealed on the COTH Event Board. Hallelujah. Soooooooooooooo................is pink O.K.? Orange? How about like a really beautiful deep shade of maroon?

Seriously, I have known since 4-H days that horses saw red as grey...we were always told that red and white poles were less visible than yellow and white to a horse.

Actually the really interesting thing at H & H is the admission by Clayton Fredericks that he was stalking the Canadian post and moved to Florida to cement his deal....
    Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
    Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

Originally posted by retreadeventer View Post
      Whoohooo! Breakthrough science once again revealed on the COTH Event Board. Hallelujah. Soooooooooooooo................is pink O.K.? Orange? How about like a really beautiful deep shade of maroon?

Seriously, I have known since 4-H days that horses saw red as grey...we were always told that red and white poles were less visible than yellow and white to a horse.

Actually the really interesting thing at H & H is the admission by Clayton Fredericks that he was stalking the Canadian post and moved to Florida to cement his deal....
      Who peed in your cornflakes?
      Some of us haven't been eventing since the beginning of time, didn't do 4-H or pony club and find articles like this interesting.

I suppose you know which side of your handlebar and which pedal to put pressure on when cornering at speed in soft ground on a mountain bike or whether to head up or down when hit by a gust of wind on a monohull vs. a catamaran too. Undoubtedly if you took those sports up late in life YOU wouldn't need any pesky articles to read from people trying to be helpful.

Thanks JER, I found the article interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Eventguy View Post
        Who peed in your cornflakes?
        Some of us haven't been eventing since the beginning of time, didn't do 4-H or pony club and find articles like this interesting.

I suppose you know which side of your handlebar and which pedal to put pressure on when cornering at speed in soft ground on a mountain bike or whether to head up or down when hit by a gust of wind on a monohull vs. a catamaran too. Undoubtedly if you took those sports up late in life YOU wouldn't need any pesky articles to read from people trying to be helpful.

There are always a few who seem to think only their comments are worthy of posting. I have always been of mind that forums are more for those looking to further their understanding of things and post questions and or comments without fear of being ridiculed on the play ground.
        I didn’t grow in Pony Cub/4-H either. I grew up in my mother and step father’s show horse barn and on the other side of the my family racehorses. I have probably forgotten more things horse then most will ever know. But I still and will always read as much as I can about the nature of horses. And make a point of taking the time each and everyday observing the numerous horse we have, in the field, stall, walking or under saddle.
        Especially how they look at things and their reactions. I don’t have the pleasure of working with push button horses. Breaking and training and re-schooling. It always amazes me how different horses react to the same visual so I read as much as possible about their eye sight and all things associated. I always seem to find a tidbit of useful information that hadn’t been discussed or offered up for discussing and thought.
        Being that white is a color that horses don’t see very well until up close I have always found it interesting that people still use white tape, panel, etc for fencing.
        Thanks for the post.

Comment

Very interesting, JER. From my experience (limited as it is) I've found that the bogey fences always seemed to be blue or yellow. Never had trouble with a red one but the design had an impact probably. I can't remember seeing a solid red fence, but I've seen solid yellow rails (on a skinny, no less) and there is a blue panel with blue rails above it that I've seen come down with great frequency.
          They don't call me frugal for nothing.
          Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

I think it is GREAT! that an important mainstream Equine publication like H&H did this story. For years I've thought (and posted here on the subject) that no one should be allowed to design jumping and XC courses unless they had demonstrated knowledge of equine vision. The course design courses that lead to licenses should always include segments on how horses see.

Just because someone has been an ULR, doesn't make them competent to design safe courses. They may know how people see things, but they also need to know how the horse processes through its vision.
            "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
            Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by Eventguy View Post
              ... or whether to head up or down when hit by a gust of wind on a monohull vs. a catamaran too. Undoubtedly if you took those sports up late in life YOU wouldn't need any pesky articles to read from people trying to be helpful.

Wait, I'll bite on that one. With a monohull you'd head up, a Cat you head down. However you did not really provide enough detail to be very accurate. If the gust is a lift, then I'd be turning up to keep optimum lift on the sail and point closer to the mark. On header I'd steer down or tack; this with either boat. Catamarans do not like sailing close to the wind, because it is not optimum speed vs lift and getting quickly headed is bad. Monohulls suck at acceleration, but turn much better so can react to wind shifts with more ability.

But, we're not here to discuss boats

I think any type of research is fascinating, especially if about horses and how it may impact in life jumping. So much of what we hear is anecdotal that when science is applied it begins to clarify the environment. To add to the stories, I was told that horses don't like white jumps...Why? Don't know for it was just one of those "things" told to me.

If science tells me horses don't see Red, which defines a fuzzy section of the color spectrum from orange to maroon, then is seems plausible that jumps or obstacles painted in that spectrum range could cause problems. Now, if a course designer does that on purpose, perhaps to draw out how trusting a horse is to its rider, to challenge a horse without putting horse and rider in jeopardy, so be it. If they paint a Wellington Wall red and teams keep crashing into it ...shame.

I'll give Retread the benefit of the doubt of waking up on the wrong side of the bed with a hangover, reading this article and not following the read twice, press once rule. Normally a sanguine poster, this one needed a little more hubris, little less ego to get the point across.

To JER, keep em coming for I too am of the "new to the sport, want to learn and soak up what I can from wiser people then I" crowd.

Comment

Great articles......many thanks JER!!!
                Susan
                http://community.webshots.com/user/ss3777
                www.longformatclub.com

Comment

Here is something to consider. We spatially define what we see more by value than color. Value is how light or dark something is in the absences of color.

I paint plein air/landscapes with a friend who is color blind (red/green.) He uses a limited palette meaning he puts the primaries and white out and mixes his color. He doesn't make big color mistakes, but often his painting aren't quite the same colors the rest of us see. What he get's absolutely right are the values, so his painting read correctly and are lovely. What we learned from him is that if you understand value what color you use doesn't particularly matter. I could paint a pink sky, purple grass and orange trees but if my values are correct it would still read as grass, trees and sky!

I suspect some of the difficulties in having dichromatic vision is what happens to the values of certain colors--red being more difficult because it is generally a darker value than we think we see it. Darker values are also more difficult to see the detail within--things like texture and shadowing.

Anyway, just food for thought.

Comment

• Original Poster

subk's post reminded me of an interesting BBC program about the Himba tribe of Namibia. The Himba call water and milk 'white'. The sky is 'black'. They don't have separate words for what we call 'green' and 'blue'.

This blog post shows the colour experiment that was done with the Himba. They had a very easy time picking out which green square wasn't the same (in RGB value) as the other green squares but, when the outlier square was changed to blue, they couldn't pick it out as the different one.

Not sure how that translates to horses, except that the Himba are semi-nomadic herders, and they probably see more similar to grazing animals that those of us who work in offices and live in permanent structures.

Comment

Lordy, I love this forum. I learn wonderful things every day!
                      They don't call me frugal for nothing.
                      Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Quick incidental story about horses & colors. My yearling filly has had the same red water bucket in her stall ever since the day she was born. About a month ago, someone new at the barn was refilling water buckets and switched my filly's bucket with her neighbor's blue bucket. Absolutely identical buckets in every way, except color. That night, when the filly was led into her stall, she slammed on the brakes, snorted, and bugged her eyes out at it. She gradually tip-toed her way up to blue bucket and touched it with a quivering nose, clearly ready to eject backwards at any moment if necessary. And all that happened was to swap red with blue. I would not have guessed until then that colors would make such an impact!

Comment

My horse thinks blue trot poles are shady and that yellow trot poles are jumps. It gets interesting to lay them with each other on the ground.

Curious. If horses can't see red, they still see the object so I assume its grey to them. Why would a grey jump make horses freak?

Comment

• Original Poster

Since only retread is objecting, I'll give you one more. This study, The Absolute Threshold of Colour Vision in Horses, test horses on colour vision in dim light and then compares it to human vision under the same conditions.

It's a very small sample but an interesting read, especially as the horses seem to lose motivation to make the correct rewarded colour choice as the light gets dimmer.

Comment

Working...
                            X