• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What are your deal breakers when buying a horse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your deal breakers when buying a horse?

I'm wondering what you all would consider deal breakers when buying a horse. If the horse has been competed before, is there a certain trend you prefer to see (or not to see) on their USEA record?

I'm sure we'd all love to see consistent dressage scores in the 20s, no refusals, and no rails. But, it's pretty hard to find that perfect horse - especially when you're working on a low budget! So, what are some of your deal breakers (if you have any)?

i.e. Would you consider looking at a horse with Training/Prelim dressage scores only in the 40s? What about a horse with cross-country refusals? How about a horse consistently pulling rails?

Dealbreakers depend on what you want the horse to do. For a horse to be a kid's first Preliminary horse, I couldn't care less if its dressage is in the 40s if it's got a ton of clean XC goes or the occasional rail with a kid or ammy and wants to take care of its rider. But that horse wouldn't necessarily be one I'd pick for a likely upper level serious contender (at least not based on the record).

But generally speaking, while I prefer a horse who wants to go clean, it doesn't really bother me if the horse has a couple of letter scores or 20s early on its career or occasionally at preliminary or intermediate, because that's often just a sign of a horse learning its job and/or the difficulty of the levels. What I do flag as a warning sign are horses who are consistently withdrawn before XC (makes me think either soundness issues or a horse who is only suited to a particular type of course) or whose record has a pattern of Es or stops in SJ.

Other than that, I find the record is fairly ancillary to looking at the horse in front of me. My dealbreakers are far more often likely to be soundness or vice related than having to do with their record, though I do usually look (at least to cross-check what the horse is being marketed as).

Comment

1. No unreasonable spooking. At all. I want a horse who likes to see new things. And yes, I learned this the hard way. If a horse is spooky, someone else can deal with it. Not me -- that's not how I want to spend my time with a horse.

2. Horse must be forward-moving and -thinking. I'm not interested in asking the horse to go forward on every stride. I'm really not interested in riding the skin off him to the base of every single fence.

3. I don't care about dressage scores. I care that a horse uses himself well.

4. I'd investigate the stops on XC. Not always a horse issue. Same with rails in SJ.

5. Most of all, I have to like the horse. This one's hard to explain but if I have to spend that much time with any sentient being, I have to like it. IME, it might not be the best horse for successful results or moving up the levels, but it's the horse you like being around. Right now, I ride a giveaway 14hh fat pony whose company I really enjoy, even though all we've done for the past year is work through his mental/bucking issues. I've enjoyed almost every minute of it.

Comment

Lameness

As for the record, it's a great resource but you do have to consider the rider, as well as sometimes other factors (weather/conditions). The rider goes both ways, too--knowing that Phillip D got a 22 in dressage and went clean every time might not be a good predictor of my results on that horse.

Comment

Cribbing

Comment

Originally posted by jbonifas View Post
            Cribbing
            Yeah, me too. I swore after building a timber framed barn and purchasing a little over a mile in four board fencing I'd never, ever buy a cribber. I bought the perfect horse a few months ago and he cribs.

Not sure I believe in the concept of "deal breakers" anymore.

Comment

Lameness is pretty much the big deal breaker for me. I'm willing to work on dressage if the talent is there and I can tighten up sj(most of the time). A horse that has major cross-country issues(too spooky, falls, etc.) would probably be a deal breaker too. But there are a lot of things that I would be willing to work with/around for a horse that was perfect in every other way!

Comment

Temperament-- nothing that puts its ears back at you or turns its butt toward you when you go to catch it. Nothing that was raised by an amateur who had never handled a young horse and considered this one to be her baby. Nothing that's too wide for my saddle or too tall for my trailer. No stallions. Obviously nothing that I know is unsound. I can't really afford anything with any kind of competition record even at BN, never mind Prelim, but if I could I would probably give most things the benefit of the doubt depending on how the horse went when I rode it, because there are a lot of rider errors sometimes. Less leeway for a horse competed by Philip Dutton than by someone random who has only ridden one horse at the level or something

Comment

I thought, for the purposes of this discussion, that soundness was a given, that we are talking about horses that would get a non-negative evaluation from a vet.

It's hard to qualify lameness as a 'dealbreaker.' Would you really buy a lame horse?

(I do understand people taking on horses that need rehab. But one does not go horse-shopping for these types.)

Comment

I have a T-total training packer for sale who ALWAYS finishes in the ribbons at training but usually has low 40's dressage. Apparently it is a deal breaker for everyone in the planet because I cannot move her.
                    Big Idea Eventing

Comment

Originally posted by JER View Post
                      5. Most of all, I have to like the horse. This one's hard to explain but if I have to spend that much time with any sentient being, I have to like it. IME, it might not be the best horse for successful results or moving up the levels, but it's the horse you like being around. Right now, I ride a giveaway 14hh fat pony whose company I really enjoy, even though all we've done for the past year is work through his mental/bucking issues. I've enjoyed almost every minute of it.
                      I'm with you! Of all the things that could be dealbreakers, the most important thing is to actually LIKE the horse.

As my trainer says, "You have to be able to make excuses for it!"

Comment

Originally posted by eponacowgirl View Post
                        I have a T-total training packer for sale who ALWAYS finishes in the ribbons at training but usually has low 40's dressage. Apparently it is a deal breaker for everyone in the planet because I cannot move her.
                        People crack me up:

"Yeah, so I want a totally safe packer for my teenager to go training on. But HAS to be in the ribbons after dressage and I only have $15K"

Been there. Done that. I would put my inexperienced kid on a safe jumper that will carry them around XC and stadium but has mid-pack dressage scores ANY day of the week.
                        Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Then always be Batman.

The Grove at Five Points

Comment

For me, dressage scores become more and more important as the horse climbs levels. I prefer to see improving scores or consistent scores rather than scores that fluctuate a whole lot (an indicator of an inconsistent horse). I will happily consider a horse with dressage scores in the 40s so long as it is going at the low levels and shows improvements (a 48, then a 47, then 44s and 42s, for example).

Deal breakers for me are horses who have a lot of refusals. Most important to have, in my opinion, is a brave horse. Not only are refusals a lot of points going cross country, but most importantly, they can be dangerous. A horse who is a little careless and occasionally knocks down rails in stadium can be taught to be a smarter jumper, but it's hard, if even possible, to train a horse to be more brave. After a certain age and a certain number of miles, given the horse is not jumping anything new or before unseen, a horse should not be refusing.

Comment

Originally posted by ACMEeventing View Post
                            People crack me up:

"Yeah, so I want a totally safe packer for my teenager to go training on. But HAS to be in the ribbons after dressage and I only have $15K"

Been there. Done that. I would put my inexperienced kid on a safe jumper that will carry them around XC and stadium but has mid-pack dressage scores ANY day of the week.

Worst part? THAT WAS HER PRICE!! I actually just raised it a bit because the only calls I was getting on her were "I want to learn how to jump?" and she will not be happy trotting cross rails for months on end. Now? Nothing.
                            Big Idea Eventing

Comment

Originally posted by eponacowgirl View Post
                              Yep, everything that is a deal breaker for me. Ya got one that scores in the 50s, jumps like a freak of nature on XC and stadium and has enough attitude to tell me I suck at riding? I buy those.

Comment

JER - I liked your post because I agree with you.

Take my points with a grain of salt because I'm not sure how pertinent they are to your situation Prince, I have only ever bought one horse that was doing something - ie had a record. (my first horse) Everything other horse I've bought OT.

So biggies for me, assuming soundness, quality and athletic ability:

1) Demeanor. extreme hyper-reactivity is great for pure show jumping, not so great for eventing. (ask me how I know lol !!!)

2) Temperament. Don't want evil, or evil streak (not talking about naughty). For example, I looked at a lovely grey 4 yr old, 16+hh, sound, ran every week in the money. Good mover, had suspension. But, had a real hard, mean look in his eye. I passed.

3) Confidence. Horse must be confident. IME, timid, soft tempermented horses do not sit on the bit and gallop down to a jump. Yes, some of that can be trained in, but its much better to start with a horse who is naturally like that.

4) Feet. Must have good feet with heels.
                                Unrepentant carb eater

Comment

Ill tempers or poor work ethics are quick ways to send me running. If I'm going to pay for his meals, the least the horse can do is be agreeable and like having me around.

Comment

Crib, weave, stall walk, does not tie

on the plus

Moves like a butterfly
                                    Jumps like a Flea!

Comment

Originally posted by Judysmom View Post
                                      Feet. Must have good feet with heels.
                                      This! Bad feet are a total deal-breaker for me. No hoof, no horse.

Comment

Good conformation is a must. I also really, really dislike eyes with white rings around them (white sclera). I call them "crazy eyes." I just have never liked a horse with that type of eye. I just won't buy one. I realize this is unreasonable!

Comment

Working...
                                        X